Pretty good story about when Geno got rocked

GreenCow

42 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Geno was a chump who tried the wrong guy. IK was a lunatic. I have fond memories of Rex but he's as much of a flim flam fraudster as you'll ever see in professional football.

Rex made 2 AFC title games, won 4 road playoff games and beat BB in New England.  I mean, it was definitely time for him to go (we probably held on to him for a couple of years too long) but his accomplishments here can't be denied.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Rex made 2 AFC title games, won 4 road playoff games and beat BB in New England.  I mean, it was definitely time for him to go (we probably held on to him for a couple of years too long) but his accomplishments here can't be denied.

I'm talking more about his persona. He's a phony, fake tough windbag.

Great defensive coach though.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Rex, much like a recent former jets player was a total fraud.

Also in life you never know which person is going to be a 'don;t fu** with me kind of person'

When Brandon Marshall says I was like, "This is not the guy you want to mess with." Smith probably should have known not to **** with him.  Workplace violence is workplace violence, but I don't generally let myself get in a position to get hit without seeing it coming after saying what are you going to do about it and I work in an office full of pacifists.

I never liked Geno, and never thought he'd amount to anything as an NFL QB, to be clear up front.  I'm no Geno apologist.

And yes, he was assuredly a "punk" not paying IK, that's a real ass thing to do in his position.

But I find all the "real man" posts in this thread laughable and disgusting at the same time.  IK should have been arrested for assault and prosecuted.  All the internet-hardman hot air here about "Geno deserved it, well, real men do X when punked" is just that, bs hot air.  Not one of you ever decked a guy at work for not paying you $2.00 (the real world, normal guy Equivalent of $600 to an NFL player).  And if you did, you are a dumb ass who also belongs in a jail cell.

In the real world, when you cold cock a guy and break his jaw, you go to jail for the night at a minimum.  IK was rightfully cut, and should have been arrested ffs.  Just because they play a violent sport does not excuse off-field assault and battery.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Warfish said:

I never liked Geno, and never thought he'd amount to anything as an NFL QB, to be clear up front.  I'm no Geno apologist.

And yes, he was assuredly a "punk" not paying IK, that's a real ass thing to do in his position.

But I find all the "real man" posts in this thread laughable and disgusting at the same time.  IK should have been arrested for assault and prosecuted.  All the internet-hardman hot air here about "Geno deserved it, well, real men do X when punked" is just that, bs hot air.  Not one of you ever decked a guy at work for not paying you $2.00 (the real world, normal guy Equivalent of $600 to an NFL player).  And if you did, you are a dumb ass who also belongs in a jail cell.

In the real world, when you cold cock a guy and break his jaw, you go to jail for the night at a minimum.  IK was rightfully cut, and should have been arrested ffs.  Just because they play a violent sport does not excuse off-field assault and battery.

I don't think anybody is saying that IK is right and I don't think most of us look at him as a real man for resorting to violence.  OTOH, I don't think you can run around saying "What are you going to do about it" to people and not expect to get popped in the mouth. You shouldn't really be able to dare the guy to hit you and then play victim.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

3. It’s so weird to see a Jets beat writer actually go out and get quotes from actual Jets personnel for a story these days. If Costello or Hughes wrote this, it’d be a bunch of cut-and-pastes from old write-ups from the time. Cimini using actual, on-the-record sourcing is a lost art. 

Or from Mehta, it'd be "an unnamed source."

The bottom line is Geno Smith is a f*cking scumbag. ANY perceived leader of a professional football team does NOT do what he did. It was immature, insanely dumb, petty, and cheap of him. He most certainly deserved everything that came out of that punch. I always knew he was not the solution at QB for the Jets. The incident just solidified my beliefs that Geno needed to go. It angered me when Geno wasn't cut by the Jets at the time of the incident. He should have been told to clean out his locker and exit the facility permanently just like IK was. Geno Smith personally created one of the worst cancerous tumors. It defied logic just how DUMB he had to be to let something like this happen.

I think IK got the right punishment. He had to know what he did would end his Jets career? That story turned out to be a major embarrassment to my favorite team.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think anybody is saying that IK is right...

Yeah, you might want to actually read the thread.  Most of the replies say exactly that.

....and I don't think most of us look at him as a real man for resorting to violence.

Except a couple of people literally posted exactly that.

OTOH, I don't think you can run around saying "What are you going to do about it" to people and not expect to get popped in the mouth. You shouldn't really be able to dare the guy to hit you and then play victim.

Words vs. Physical Violence.  

No wonder this site is full of whiner babies complain about the press "disrespecting" us.  What a laugh some of you are.  Apparently the old stick and stones was wrong, words really CAN hurt some of you...and lead to to assault and battery over a few pennies.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Words vs. Physical Violence or sticks and stones is somebody calling you names.  "What are you going to do about it?"  Is basically a threat, or at least an invitation to physical violence.  I'm not saying IK was in the right, but you can't be surprised that the guy punched him.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, you might want to actually read the thread.  Most of the replies say exactly that.

Except a couple of people literally posted exactly that.

No wonder this site is full of whiner babies complain about the press "disrespecting" us.  What a laugh some of you are.  Apparently the old stick and stones was wrong, words really CAN hurt some of you...and lead to to assault and battery over a few pennies.

I once dropped a 72 year old retied dude for grabbing the last egg roll at Old Country Buffet. 

• Haha 4

I understand the mentality because grew up in Paterson NJ... where if someone got in your face your fighting.  Right or wrong, that was the mentality I grew up in...   Its taken me a long time to get the Paterson out of the kid... LOL.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Rex, much like a recent former jets player was a total fraud.

Also in life you never know which person is going to be a 'don;t fu** with me kind of person'

For your own safety: A good rule of thumb is that if you ever come across a NFL defensive end that is 6'2, 250 and his eyes are angry and bloodshot from recently knocking another dude into oblivion, that is a guy that you should not **** with in that moment.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Words vs. Physical Violence or sticks and stones is somebody calling you names.  "What are you going to do about it?"  Is basically a threat, or at least an invitation to physical violence.  I'm not saying IK was in the right, but you can't be surprised that the guy punched him.  

It's a broad generality for all adult situations, no? This isn't Jerry Mitchell standing up to Buddy Revell. I think when you are the starting quarterback, you can definitely expect that a gigantic teammate isn't going to sucker punch you in the face over $600.

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's a broad generality for all adult situations, no? This isn't Jerry Mitchell standing up to Buddy Revell. I think when you are the starting quarterback, you can definitely expect that a gigantic teammate isn't going to sucker punch you in the face over $600.

I would murder any number of quarterbacks for six hundred dollars

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think when you are the starting quarterback, you can definitely expect that a gigantic teammate isn't going to sucker punch you in the face over $600.

Let this be a lesson to all those who think they are “quarterbacks”. Whether on the football field or life. 

There is always someone that will punch you in the mouth if you don’t do right.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Fun fact about Donnie Yen, he's also a gnarly grappler. Black belt in judo and I think last I heard he had gotten a purple belt in jiu jitsu. Super legit martial artist.

I can imagine that. The Ip Man movies are by far my favorite martial arts movies. Not that I know anything about martial arts, but what he performs in those fight scenes looks the most reality-based. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes I have to agree. Geno was breaking man code. That may bother you warfish but I think sir you are in the minority and looking to start drama here.

If it were me, I’d have probably not punched him but I would have surely got in his face. I wouldnt take it. I would hope he hit me first for the green light.

OK Mr. Warfish serious question. You are in line at 711 with your 10 year old daughter. She is singing quietly. The guy behind you says “ yo shut the f up lil girl” 

What would you do?

At the very least youd say something I hope. Then he resonds “man f that singing lil bitcch”

What would you do?

Basically you are in a no win situation now. If you hit him, youre a hypocrite. If you dont swing on him, youre a major league puss. I mean the ultimate puss. Zero respect.

so are you a huge puss or a hypocrite?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warmbrother said:

Yes I have to agree. Geno was breaking man code. That may bother you warfish but I think sir you are in the minority and looking to start drama here.

If it were me, I’d have probably not punched him but I would have surely got in his face. I wouldnt take it. I would hope he hit me first for the green light.

OK Mr. Warfish serious question. You are in line at 711 with your 10 year old daughter. She is singing quietly. The guy behind you says “ yo shut the f up lil girl” 

What would you do?

At the very least youd say something I hope. Then he resonds “man f that singing lil bitcch”

What would you do?

Basically you are in a no win situation now. If you hit him, youre a hypocrite. If you dont swing on him, youre a major league puss. I mean the ultimate puss. Zero respect.

so are you a huge puss or a hypocrite?

Is this actually serious? Any father that does not take his daughter out of that situation immediately needs their ******* head examined. 

• Upvote 1