Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

NFL lifts ban on free agent workouts: FA signings on the way?

Recommended Posts

Could this open the door for a bunch of the remaining FA's to get signed?

 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-lifts-ban-on-tryouts-with-health-related-limits-still-intact

NFL lifts ban on tryouts with health-related limits still intact

Published: Aug 11, 2020 at 07:22 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

 

The NFL has opened the door for lingering free agents to potentially find new homes.

The league informed all 32 clubs on Tuesday that its prohibition on tryouts has been lifted, effective immediately, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported per a source informed of the situation.

The prohibition had banned NFL teams from bringing players into their facilities for workouts, with a recent exception for physicals. Tuesday's change makes it possible for players who can perform well enough in a workout setting to earn a contract, and allows teams to get a closer look at intriguing players who remain available as we close in on the start of the 2020 season. Notable free agents such as edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney and defensive back Logan Ryan might finally find a place to play in 2020 as a result.

The health protocols will remain for all signings, as players still must undergo COVID-19 entry screenings. Such screening includes testing negative three consecutive times (for free agents who had not been with a team recently), or two straight times if they were cut the prior day, or acquired via waiver claim or trade. Each negative test must happen 24 hours apart before joining team activities, per Pelissero.

NFL teams also can only host eight prospects for workouts per day, and club personnel must wear personal protective equipment and remain 6 feet away from the tryout player at all times.

In a typical, non-pandemic training camp, workouts would help fill out the roster and give hopeful players a chance to land in a team's camp, where they might end up working their way onto a final 53-man roster. It would also confirm teams' interest in veterans who might make an impact in the latter stages of their careers. Now, teams can continue shaping their roster with the return of a familiar process in what remains an unfamiliar time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clowney can get a physical done now, so he probably signs somewhere soon.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm leery on if we will have a full season, that's my biggest reason for not wanting to bring in any Free Agents right now. I'd rather roll over our money to a season we know will happen when we have a better shot at getting to the playoffs. I wonder if GMs are thinking similarly, would suck to pay Clowney $15m on a 1 year deal only to have the season cancelled after 4 games.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm leery on if we will have a full season, that's my biggest reason for not wanting to bring in any Free Agents right now. I'd rather roll over our money to a season we know will happen when we have a better shot at getting to the playoffs. I wonder if GMs are thinking similarly, would suck to pay Clowney $15m on a 1 year deal only to have the season cancelled after 4 games.

A full season will happen. Players who test positive will be added to the reserve/COVID-19 list. Other players will be signed until players who tested positive come back negative. Every team is facing two opponents, the virus and the opposing team on the schedule that week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

A full season will happen. Players who test positive will be added to the reserve/COVID-19 list. Other players will be signed until players who tested positive come back negative. Every team is facing two opponents, the virus and the opposing team on the schedule that week. 

I expect them to push forward, I just don't think it's a wise decision for us to add talent even if we do get a full season. I'd much rather roll over all our cap from this year as the likelihood of the cap falling to $175m seems pretty high.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Could this open the door for a bunch of the remaining FA's to get signed?

I’m so out of touch, I don’t even know who’s left in the pool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d kinda love to add Logan Ryan to the secondary, but I don’t know where he’d get playing time unless Marcus Maye hit the bench or Blessuan Austin gets cut. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’d kinda love to add Logan Ryan to the secondary, but I don’t know where he’d get playing time unless Marcus Maye hit the bench or Blessuan Austin gets cut. 

Williams uses a ton of nickel.  Ryan will be out there and he doesn’t need to start to play a majority of snaps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Clowney can get a physical done now, so he probably signs somewhere soon.

Hopefully it will be with us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m so out of touch, I don’t even know who’s left in the pool. 

The biggest/best names available are the following:

OL

  • LT Greg Robinson (27)
  • LT Cordy Glenn (30)
  • C A.Q. Shipley (34)
  • G Michael Person (32)
  • G Ron Leary (31)
  • G Josh Kline (30)
  • G Daniel Kilgore (32)
  • G Ereck Flowers (26)
  • RT Jared Veldheer (33)
  • RT Donald Penn (37)

RB

  • RB Devonta Freeman (28)

WR/TE

  • WR Antonio Brown (32)
  • WR Josh Gordon (29)
  • WR Demaryius Thomas (32)
  • WR Justin Hardy (29)
  • WR Taylor Gabriel (29)
  • TE Jordan Reed (30)
  • TE Delanie Walker (38)
  • TE Vernon Davis (36)

EDGE

  • EDGE Jadeveon Clowney (27)
  • DE Jabaal Sheard (31)
  • OLB Clay Matthews (34)
  • OLB Terrell Suggs (37)
  • DE Ziggy Ansah (31)
  • DE Michael Bennett (34)

DB

  • CB/FS Logan Ryan (29)
  • SS Eric Reid (28)
  • CB Brandon Carr (34)
  • CB Dre Kirkpatrick (30)
  • CB Aqib Talib (34)
  • CB Tramon Williams (37)
  • CB B.W. Webb (30)
  • FS Antoine Bethea (36)
  • FS Clayton Geathers (28)

LB

  • ILB Alec Ogletree (28)
  • ILB Mark Barron (30)
  • ILB Mychal Kendricks (29)

DL

  • NT Damon Harrison (31)
  • DT Brandon Mebane (35)

ST

  • K Stephen Gostkowski (36)
  • K Graham Gano (33)
  • K Ryan Succop (33)
  • P Dustin Colquitt (38)
  • P Matt Bosher (32)

 

G Larry Warford is also a FA, but he opted out for the 2020 season.

Darron Lee is also still out there!  lol.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d kinda love to add Logan Ryan to the secondary, but I don’t know where he’d get playing time unless Marcus Maye hit the bench or Blessuan Austin gets cut. 

3-2-6 base defense.  Front 5 of Quinnen, McLendon, Anderson/Shepherd, Avery Williamson and Jenkins/Zuniga.  Let's do this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take an order of Cordy Glenn, minus the Clowney, but with Griffen instead - and I'll have a side of Delanie Walker and Brandon Carr please.... Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, i'd like to have a Paul Richardson and Justin Hardy as appetizers to try out. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to say give Ziggy a shot but he has been Sooooooo bad lately.

 

I'm fine with rolling over as much cap as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'll take an order of Cordy Glenn, minus the Clowney, but with Griffen instead - and I'll have a side of Delanie Walker and Brandon Carr please.... Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, i'd like to have a Paul Richardson and Justin Hardy as appetizers to try out. 

Forgot about Hardy.  Just added him to the list above.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I want to say give Ziggy a shot but he has been Sooooooo bad lately.

Yeah.  He's missed nearly as many games (14) as he's played (18) over the last 2 seasons.  And even when he's played he's been very ineffective.  Just 6.5 Sacks and 19 QB Pressures in 18 games.

For comparison, Clowney has had 12 sacks and 78 QB Pressures over the last 2 seasons, over 28 games.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all honesty nothing will make us winners this year. I want to roll all cap space over to next year and take advantage of the talent available with the reduced cap. All I care about this year is Darnold improving

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

In all honesty nothing will make us winners this year. I want to roll all cap space over to next year and take advantage of the talent available with the reduced cap. All I care about this year is Darnold improving

I see nothing wrong with a couple more 1-year deals, in an attempt to win compensatory picks next offseason.  

We have over $30M in cap space, and I don't see Douglas splurging huge money in free agency next offseason regardless of how much space we have.  Carrying over about $10-15M would be more than enough.  Go get 1-2 names on the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d kinda love to add Logan Ryan to the secondary, but I don’t know where he’d get playing time unless Marcus Maye hit the bench or Blessuan Austin gets cut. 

He has said that he is a safety so signing him would mean that Maye, McDougald, and/or Davis would be back ups.  I dont see that he is that much of an improvement over what we have.  As you know, its not an important position!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I see nothing wrong with a couple more 1-year deals, in an attempt to win compensatory picks next offseason.  

We have over $30M in cap space, and I don't see Douglas splurging huge money in free agency next offseason regardless of how much space we have.  Carrying over about $10-15M would be more than enough.  Go get 1-2 names on the list.

For the same reason I think we should roll over cap space to next year I think the comp picks are going to be worse. The cap very likely is dropping about 25 million. I think next year is the time to spend, there's not going to be the money for teams to throw around there is now. Those comp picks for one year deals now will probably be a round later than normal. Most teams will be forced to cut talent next season and won't be looking to buy. We already kinda suck, might as well use it to our advantage in a buyers market next year. There's going to be deals available then we couldn't dream of now

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

For the same reason I think we should roll over cap space to next year I think the comp picks are going to be worse. The cap very likely is dropping about 25 million. I think next year is the time to spend there's not going to be the money for teams to throw around there is now. Those comp picks for one year deals now will probably be a round later than normal. Most teams will be forced to cut talent next season and won't be looking to buy. We already kinda suck, might as well use it to our advantage in a buyers market next year. There's going to be deals available then we couldn't dream of now

Fair point.  I can see that also. 

Just depends on how low the cap drops, I suppose.  I can't imagine it going all the way down to the minimum ($175M).  That would be disastrous for about half of the league.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'll take an order of Cordy Glenn, minus the Clowney, but with Griffen instead - and I'll have a side of Delanie Walker and Brandon Carr please.... Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, i'd like to have a Paul Richardson and Justin Hardy as appetizers to try out. 

That crush just won’t die huh?   Lol...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

In all honesty nothing will make us winners this year. I want to roll all cap space over to next year and take advantage of the talent available with the reduced cap. All I care about this year is Darnold improving

This is a fun mentality to have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

This is a fun mentality to have

I been doing this my entire life with the Jets. It's called being realistic. I expect to improve this year, but I know we're not winning a SB. The goal this year is Darnold improving and if that happens, cashing in on an all time great FA class next year. I don't know what mentality you have but you'd probably like me better 10 years ago when I convinced myself we could win every year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can't be optimistic when you believe you have your Franchise QB when can you be optimistic? Sam needs protection & we'll score points. Every metric that has been dissected regarding Darnold always comes back to him being a STUD when afforded proper blocking up front. 

Its all about the Oline! We have enough offensive players that can make plays, our defense is middling but capable in spurts but if we score, score & score some more we'll be in every game. 

Sanchez, Smith, Fitzpatrick, McCown days are behind us, we have a 23 year old stud coming off a good 8 game stretch, he's in the same offense, and he's healthier, stronger & probably a bit more mature & ready to take charge. Let's go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darron Lee is also still out there!  lol.

I told yall this fuggin scrub would be outta football in 5 yrs

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That crush just won’t die huh?   Lol...

hah! I haven't had much to say about him since he blew his knee in his rookie year. Validate his injury flag that followed him into the NFL... 

Actually, you'd be more right to call me out on Justin Hardy...  Much bigger man crush on him at ECU; 2nd rnd grade and i'm still confused about his NFL career... he always makes good on targets but inexplicably passed by everyone in ATL.  He had a similar skill set to A.Brown at C.Michigan

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Is Derrius Guice available?

Yes and you would think that since the due process hasn't played out yet that he should have been picked up by now.  Weird!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

He has said that he is a safety so signing him would mean that Maye, McDougald, and/or Davis would be back ups.  I dont see that he is that much of an improvement over what we have.  As you know, its not an important position!!!

It is when you're a FS and/or capable of creating turnovers.  Logan Ryan had 4 INTs and 4 Forced Fumbles last season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I told yall this fuggin scrub would be outta football in 5 yrs

And he was out in 4.  Ahead of schedule!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes and you would think that since the due process hasn't played out yet that he should have been picked up by now.  Weird!!

We all know the Mafia controls those streets now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And he was out in 4.  Ahead of schedule!

Slats and Dcat can onfirm my feelings on this from the 1st season back when JetsChat still existed

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I told yall this fuggin scrub would be outta football in 5 yrs

@slats  @Dcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...