Gase presser/his deep love for Leveon

T0mShane

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Personally, I could care less about his so-called "leadership" in offseason interviews/pressers.

I care about his production as HC/OC.  Wins.  Offensive Rankings.  Playoff seasons.  Darnold improvement in production. Etc.

"Owning failure" is only good if he quickly corrects the failure and improves the issue in question.

off season is so bizarre...      people will find reason to complement their tema for ANYTHING

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Personally, I could care less about his so-called "leadership" in offseason interviews/pressers.

I care about his production as HC/OC.  Wins.  Offensive Rankings.  Playoff seasons.  Darnold improvement in production. Etc.

"Owning failure" is only good if he quickly corrects the failure and improves the issue in question.

I get it.  Once the season starts, the only thing that matters is the product on the field.  But its the offseason now, so the only thing we have is interviews/pressers.  I liked what I heard out of him today.  Nothing more, nothing less.

32 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

off season is so bizarre...      people will find reason to complement their tema for ANYTHING

Happens to me every year.  I find reasons for optmimism in the offseason,  Usually it is overreacting to reporter tweets about how great the team looks.  We don't have that this year, so I commented on a quote from the coach that I liked. 

But, if this season goes anything like the last few, they will beat the optimism out of me by the end of September.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

I get it.  Once the season starts, the only thing that matters is the product on the field.  But its the offseason now, so the only thing we have is interviews/pressers.  I liked what I heard out of him today.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Happens to me every year.  I find reasons for optmimism in the offseason,  Usually it is overreacting to reporter tweets about how great the team looks.  We don't have that this year, so I commented on a quote from the coach that I liked. 

But, if this season goes anything like the last few, they will beat the optimism out of me by the end of September.

gotcha. no bile or venom in my comment, just an observation on the nature of teh offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

How about 6-2 in the second half last year, turning around a 1-7 sinking ship?  I don't think that should have earned him Coach of the Year honors, but Wins are the most important statistic of all, aren't they?

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, MykePM said:

How about 6-2 in the second half last year, turning around a 1-7 sinking ship?  I don't think that should have earned him Coach of the Year honors, but Wins are the most important statistic of all, aren't they?

There is a word for that:  It's called "Garbage Time".

We were effectively eliminated from contention.  We played a very, very weak schedule. 

1. We beat a 4 win Giants team worse than us.

2. We beat a 3 win Redskins team worse than us with more injuries than us.

3. We beat a 7 win Raiders team in the process of a 1-5 end of season free fall.

4. We lost to an 0-11 Bengals team that finished 2-14.

5. We beat a 5 win Dolphins team worse than us, after losing to the 0-7 Dolphins earlier in the year.

6. We were blown out by the Ravens.

7. We beat a flailing Steelers team who lost their QB and was on QB #3 for the season.

8. We beat a Buffalo team resting everyone for the playoffs, including their #1 QB.

If you're impressed by THAT rogues gallery, well, that's just sad. 

Hell, being impressed by anything in trash time after basically being eliminated is sad.  Trash time is trash time, there is a reason folks don;t think as much of it as say, when you're still in contention and the games actually matter. 

Gase didn't "turn around" anything.  He failed utterly to do anything at QB, at RB, or in the playbook to generate offense when it mattered..

If anything, Darnold was the sole cause of the better garbage time performance.  

Coach of the Year?  Mother of God, what a bloody laugh that is.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

or maybe just use his the exact same way he has been for his entire NFL career. But yeah sure lets make up some sh*t and try to do it different.

I think the full quote or rest of interview somehwere they Gase said he should not have ran him when everyone knew they were go to run, in the beginning of the season.

Couple hot takes from that statement

1 Gase took a whole season and off season to realize he didnt use Bell effectively, while every other coach in the league could tell after the first quarter

2 he thinks he ran bell good in the last half of the season - idiotic

3 He still thinks he need to figure out how to use bell - jesus christ just get him the ball in the open field and give him blockers, you don't have to figure out anything just look at any steelers game. He can even look at steelers games last year when connor was running. Its really not hard. The fact he can't figure it out makes me think he is retarded.

4 Im not sure how anyone can argue that he isnt a terrible coach at this point, listen to the man. he is an idiot. God I hope this season isnt a bust but I am afraid it will be

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is a word for that:  It's called "Garbage Time".

We were effectively eliminated from contention.  We played a very, very weak schedule. 

1. We beat a 4 win Giants team worse than us.

2. We beat a 3 win Redskins team worse than us with more injuries than us.

3. We beat a 7 win Raiders team in the process of a 1-5 end of season free fall.

4. We lost to an 0-11 Bengals team that finished 2-14.

5. We beat a 5 win Dolphins team worse than us, after losing to the 0-7 Dolphins earlier in the year.

6. We were blown out by the Ravens.

7. We beat a flailing Steelers team who lost their QB and was on QB #3 for the season.

8. We beat a Buffalo team resting everyone for the playoffs, including their #1 QB.

If you're impressed by THAT rogues gallery, well, that's just sad. 

Hell, being impressed by anything in trash time after basically being eliminated is sad.  Trash time is trash time, there is a reason folks don;t think as much of it as say, when you're still in contention and the games actually matter. 

Gase didn't "turn around" anything.  He failed utterly to do anything at QB, at RB, or in the playbook to generate offense when it mattered..

If anything, Darnold was the sole cause of the better garbage time performance.  

Coach of the Year?  Mother of God, what a bloody laugh that is.

Bravo Bravo!! Tis times 1 million.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Brian Costello@BrianCoz 1h

Bell on Darnold: “Sam’s a lot more comfortable.” Said Darnold is more “stern” with guys. #nyj

This is key, all great QB's become "jerks" when guys miss assignments

Means his confidence is growing and he's becoming a leader. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

YOU GOT SOMETHING AGAINST ANTHONY CIOFFI?

Were you the guy who once had Tony Danza read a piece of your script?  Did you see he's doing a remake of Who's The Boss?  If you're an actor, now's the time to reach out and try to get a bit part (to start, at least). 

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/whos-boss-reboot-tony-danza-alyssa-milano-72177203

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Were you the guy who once had Tony Danza read a piece of your script?  Did you see he's doing a remake of Who's The Boss?  If you're an actor, now's the time to reach out and try to get a bit part (to start, at least). 

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/whos-boss-reboot-tony-danza-alyssa-milano-72177203

Not sure if there is room for two bosses lol

We'll see. 

I got to know him pretty well. Helped him rehearse Don Jon before he flew out to LA. Cool rehearsals. We actually did one where we cooked a big Italian Sunday dinner with ravioli from Pastosa's and rehearsed the dinner scene.

Really good guy.

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Granted the OLine was an issue but the run game wasn't creative last year.
Agreed, its good for him to take responsibility but its time to put up
or shut up

The line wasn't just an issue, it was epically, historically bad. Nothing would have worked on a high percentage of plays.

• Upvote 3

Gase to date hasn’t produced much as a head coach. His built in excuse has been an extremely poor GM.  So he deserves another year. 
No matter what the talking heads say, this year’s roster is a lot better. May not translate into a playoff season, but the improvement should be obvious. If not...adios Adam

26 minutes ago, MykePM said:

It's funny how many people are willing to accept (legitimate) excuses for why Darnold's numbers aren't as bad as they look (not saying you're one of them, because honestly I don't remember), while excuses are made for why Gase's actual good numbers (6-2 record in the 2nd half last year) aren't as good as they actually were.  Gase isn't in charge of personnel.  He was stuck with a lousy offensive line too, and an awful 3rd string QB for 3 games, and a ton of injuries, all while trying to implement a new offensive system - and he still was successful in the 2nd half in the only statistic that really matters.  Actual production, which is how you said he should be judged - or do the numbers not count if you don't like how they were accomplished?

Yes, the 2nd-half opponents last season weren't a Murderer's Row, but 6 wins are 6 wins in the NFL.  It's hard to keep a team that's effectively eliminated from playoff contention by November playing competitively.  When Parcells did something similar in the 1999 season, he called it the best year of coaching in his career - and he started with a roster that went 12-4 the previous year. If Gase was as horrible a head coach as people are saying, then the team had no business even beating teams that had 4, 5, or 7 wins, down the stretch. 

Trust me, I wouldn't even sign up for Gase to be the head coach in 2021 at this point.  But the number of people here who want to run him out of town after one rough year that ended fairly well is astounding.  From my perspective, the jury's still out and let's see what he does from here on out.

I don't want to belabor this, because lord knows this place has hashed this out all offseason.....

....so I'll just say this, no, I'm not a Darnold excuse maker in any form as my history shows I am equally a critic of him as I am of Gase.  Yes, 7 wins and bottom of the NFL is the production upon which I judge Gase.  Yes, he gets some slack because of a bad roster (that he in part was responsible for, he was GM for a spell himself remember).  And yes, he gets some slack because of Darnold's sickness, even so, his offense was putrid and ineffective bth while Darnold was gone and after he was back, compared to the rest of the NFL.    Gase has been a NFL HEad Coach for 4 years now, the "just is not out" on him, he has a resume now, and it's almost all the same, injuries to QB's, poor Offenses, fitting round pegs into his square hole, and bottom tier Offensive rankings and midlands record finishes.  

Yes, we'll all have to "wait and see" because none of us control the team.  But I'm not going to give a guy with a resume of failure an ineptitude and "bad luck" with his QB's health the benefit of the doubt till he earns it. 

And that late garage time run may be the single most over-rated thing in NY Jets Fan history IMO.  No, I'm not impressed, no I don't think it means piss all for 2020 and beyond, and no it really wasn't tat impressive given the competition.

But I'm easy to please:  Win 9 or more games, be top 10 in offense, and have Darnold play all 16 games and produce 4,000+ yards and a 2:1 TD:INT ration, and critics like me are silenced for the most part.  But you'll notice, none of the Gase supporters (and damn few of the Darnold supporters) want to hold anyone to standards yet.  Nope, it's all preemptive excuses for why we still suck and will suck in 2020, but definitely not because of Gase or Darnold, lol.

32 minutes ago, MykePM said:

It's funny how many people are willing to accept (legitimate) excuses for why Darnold's numbers aren't as bad as they look (not saying you're one of them, because honestly I don't remember), while excuses are made for why Gase's actual good numbers (6-2 record in the 2nd half last year) aren't as good as they actually were.  Gase isn't in charge of personnel.  He was stuck with a lousy offensive line too, and an awful 3rd string QB for 3 games, and a ton of injuries, all while trying to implement a new offensive system - and he still was successful in the 2nd half in the only statistic that really matters.  Actual production, which is how you said he should be judged - or do the numbers not count if you don't like how they were accomplished?

Yes, the 2nd-half opponents last season weren't a Murderer's Row, but 6 wins are 6 wins in the NFL.  It's hard to keep a team that's effectively eliminated from playoff contention by November playing competitively.  When Parcells did something similar in the 1999 season, he called it the best year of coaching in his career - and he started with a roster that went 12-4 the previous year. If Gase was as horrible a head coach as people are saying, then the team had no business even beating teams that had 4, 5, or 7 wins, down the stretch. 

Trust me, I wouldn't even sign up for Gase to be the head coach in 2021 at this point.  But the number of people here who want to run him out of town after one rough year that ended fairly well is astounding.  From my perspective, the jury's still out and let's see what he does from here on out.

Gregg Williams and the injured and talent starved defense was the main reason the team did well at the end of the year.  Not the dead last in the league Gase lead offense.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Gregg Williams and the injured and talent starved defense was the main reason the team did well at the end of the year.  Not the dead last in the league Gase lead offense.

Gregg Williams who has otherwise gone .300 as a head coach.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Run the numbers for the last 8 games thanks.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

But I'm easy to please:  Win 9 or more games, be top 10 in offense, and have Darnold play all 16 games and produce 4,000+ yards and a 2:1 TD:INT ration, and critics like me are silenced for the most part.  But you'll notice, none of the Gase supporters (and damn few of the Darnold supporters) want to hold anyone to standards yet.  Nope, it's all preemptive excuses for why we still suck and will suck in 2020, but definitely not because of Gase or Darnold, lol.

How about this for a standard to hold the team to?  I'd like the Jets to win 3/4 of their games.  And you know, what?  In the second half of last season, they did that.  They beat 6 out of the 7 teams that they (arguably) "should have" beat, and lost on the road to a team that went 14-2.  Those are actual results.  Not excuses (preemptive or otherwise).

Does that mean that the Jets were a great team during that time, or that Gase is a great coach?  Not necessarily.  Do you really care about results?  Or just your perception of whether the team is actually playing well or not?  Personally, if the Jets continue to win at a 6-2 rate, I could care less what their offensive rankings were, or what their strength of schedule was.