Tampa Bay with the 5th pick in the draft

faba

Bucs May Surprise At No. 5

By IRA KAUFMAN ikaufman@tampatrib.com

Published: Mar 23, 2005

MAUI, Hawaii - Contrary to most draft predictions, the Bucs may select a quarterback or a defensive player with their first-round pick, according to Coach Jon Gruden.

Gruden and General Manager Bruce Allen are scheduled to meet with the draft's two top-rated passers, Aaron Rodgers of California and Utah's Alex Smith, this weekend.

One or both quarterbacks could be available April 23, when the Bucs select fifth overall with the first of their 12 draft choices. Most draft analysts expect Tampa Bay to take a running back or wide receiver with their top pick.

Shuttling between meetings Tuesday during the NFL's spring owners session, Gruden was asked if it would be surprising for the Bucs to draft a quarterback at No. 5.

``Not to me,'' he said. ``Picking that high, you have to see if those guys fit your scheme, your philosophy and can make plays.

``We might want to draft a defensive player. Everybody says I'm hard to deal with. Heck, [defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is] the hardest guy in the world to deal with.

``You've got to find the best guys, and we'll see who it is.''

Despite losing 17 of his past 25 games, Gruden remains confident the Bucs can contend for a playoff spot this fall, even while loading up on younger players.

``We have a plan,'' he said. ``We've been accused of not having a plan. Bruce has done a good job. The '06 team is no longer $25 million over the [salary] cap - I do know that.''

With veteran Brian Griese returning as the No. 1 quarterback, Gruden has big plans for an offense that ranked No. 22 and averaged only two touchdowns per game.

``If we can resolve the turnover problems and make some field goals, we're much better than a 5-11 team,'' Gruden said. ``Game film backs that up. We lost some games in head-scratching fashion, but 8-8 got two teams in the playoffs. I just saw that happen.

``What Griese did was in my opinion startling. I know I'm confident in Chris Simms. We gave him the ball in the fifth week, and he got hurt. He did a pretty good job and Griese did a heck of a job, putting our team in position to win several games.''

Chicago general manager Jerry Angelo said Tampa Bay's recent woes - 12-20 since winning Super Bowl XXXVII - aren't necessarily surprising.

``Tampa's had a nice run,'' he said. ``They still have a good football team and they're in the hunt, like everybody else. They've got their needs, a couple of guys here and there, but they've got a great offensive guy [Gruden] and a great defensive guy [Kiffin]. That cures a lot of ills.''

The Bucs haven't had many premium draft choices in recent years because of trades, including the 2002 deal that brought Gruden to Tampa from Oakland.

In his first year with the Bucs, Gruden proved the catalyst for a championship season.

``They got it done, that's the bottom line,'' said Angelo, Tampa Bay's former director of scouting. ``How are you going to knock what they did? They got it done, and I admire them for it.''

With little salary-cap space, the Bucs haven't been aggressive suitors in the free-agent market this month.

``We all know what the problems are,'' Gruden said. ``We don't need to point fingers.''

Gruden indicated the Bucs are unlikely to trade up or down from that No. 5 spot in the opening round.

``We need those kind of guys on our team,'' Gruden said of Tampa Bay's position near the top of the draft board. ``Everybody else has them.''

Could be just talk from Gruden but he mentions they may pick a defensive player /QB at number 5 instead of what most people including myself seem to think they will definitely take a running back

The Bucs are like alot of teams at the top of the draft. They have so many needs and they can go in so many different directions.

If The Bucs draft a QB. Noone would fault them. If they draft a RB, Noone would fault them. If they draft a WR or Defensive player. Noone would fault them.

When you are drafting in the top 5. You have to get a difference maker who can make a huge impact on your franchise.

Mike Williams is very tempting at 5.

I don't know how they're coming off the board, but here's my overall TOP 10

01. WR Mike Williams

02. DE Shawne Merriman

03. LB Derrick Johnson

04. RB Ronnie Brown

05. QB Aaron Rodgers

06. QB Alex Smith

07. RB Cadillac Williams

08. LT Alex Barron

09. CB Antrel Rolle

10. WR Braylon Edwards