Josh McCown

McCown is truly one of those people who shows the kind of person you are can actually make a sh*tload of difference, as hard as that is to accept sometimes.  He basically spent his entire career being a player who, from a talent perspective, was considered in line with a very long list of people who may have been within the top 1%, but still not good enough to hang in the NFL.  But he worked his ass off, and was just an awesome human being who did anything asked of him, and got excessive love from all his teammates as a result, deservedly making a very long career out of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big game between them all.

And there's Mark Sanchez.  All he ever did was win.  And they couldn't wait to run him out of town.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 19
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And there's Mark Sanchez.  All he ever did was win.  And they couldn't wait to run him out of town.

Yep, that was the league "book" on Sanchez. 

"He can't throw that well, he can't run that well-all he ever seems to do is beat you".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big game between them all.

SAR I

With you being a Yankee fan, I’m sure you also include Don Mattingly in your “loveable losers” club, right?   Guy never won anything, and the team won right before he got there and right after he left.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I like to indulge as much as the next guy..

probably even a little bit more!?

I just can't agree with you on this one SAR.

Sanchez played like a blind man running backwards!!

I never really bought into the McCown hype,  but I really did like Fitzmagic.

The dude was a gamer. Yes he sucked it at times, but he put it all out there, and went for it.

I like his mentality and I really think I see a little bit of the same in Sam.

DownrightZigzagArrowana-size_restricted.gif

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

The dichotomy of how our frans view Fitz (loathed) and McCown (beloved) is something I will simply never understand.  /shrug

I like both of them.

Fitzy always seemed like he was a fun guy to be around. A loveable goofball.

McCown is the kind of guy we all should aspire to be like. Just a genuinely good person.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

i don't think i'd put mccown in the lovable losers club.  there is nothing that describes how badly mccown played over his career.  not quite bubby brister but pretty bad.  and while you seem to be dissing vinny and chaddy, both of those guys had good success as jets qb and the teams they were on were flawed in other ways too.

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I like to indulge as much as the next guy..

probably even a little bit more!?

I just can't agree with you on this one SAR.

Sanchez played like a blind man running backwards!!

I never really bought into the McCown hype,  but I really did like Fitzmagic.

The dude was a gamer. Yes he sucked it at times, but he put it all out there, and went for it.

I like his mentality and I really think I see a little bit of the same in Sam.

DownrightZigzagArrowana-size_restricted.gif

agree on fitzy.  sure he basically robbed the jets on the second contract but that was more because of mac.  but fitzy did bring a certain attitude to the offense and was willing to make the big throw.  it's just too bad he didn't always have the ability to make the big throw.

Like em both.... Both need a perfect roster to almost do something.

Sanchez belongs in the same boat. I didn't love him didn't hate either. I was basically indifferent towards him until he became a full on embarrassment and a pick machine. 

The fact that people still try to defend him debilitates the senses. He walked into a great situation with an excellent roster. The '09 '10 runs showed the extent of his ability..... His issues were not physical and only got worse over time. 

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Josh McCown is literally a better man than 99% of the people out there.

Mark Sanchez was a grown man f#cking 17 year old girls.

Stop it.

SAR I

Fun Fact: Vinny Testaverde has the highest winning percentage of any Jets quarterback. (35-26 as a starter).

Sanchez was 33-29. 

Chad was 32-29.

Josh McCown went 5-11.

Not sure what Josh McCown has anything to do with the other 3 in your bizarre hot take.

SAR I

Sanchez was by far the prettiest of them all. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

The dichotomy of how our frans view Fitz (loathed) and McCown (beloved) is something I will simply never understand.  /shrug

I don’t really have a problem with either. But McCown never made me feel like we would win with him so I accepted It and was t terribly disappointed when that prove to be true. Fitz sold me, I really thought we were heading to the post season with him before that Buffalo game. Nobodies fault but if I’m little tilted in that way then that’s why. 

16 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Yep, that was the league "book" on Sanchez. 

"He can't throw that well, he can't run that well-all he ever seems to do is beat you".

In the playoffs, Mark was huge, best in team history.  Some people are built that way, elevate their games when it matters most.  Chad Pennington was Mr. Regular Season.  I'll take Mr. Postseason, thanks, the whole point is to win in the postseason, not compile regular season stats.

SAR I

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

With you being a Yankee fan, I’m sure you also include Don Mattingly in your “loveable losers” club, right?   Guy never won anything, and the team won right before he got there and right after he left.

I hate Don Mattingly.  He represents the type of Yankee that needed to get out of the way in order for the clutch postseason performers to shine.  Brings me nothing but bad memories.

Jets fans bestow all this reverence on regular season compilers and pretty faces.  They would drool over Don Mattingly, just like they drool over Mike Piazza and Rusty Staub.  Decades of losing isn't offset by a poster on your wall.

SAR I

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't think i'd put mccown in the lovable losers club.  there is nothing that describes how badly mccown played over his career.  not quite bubby brister but pretty bad.  and while you seem to be dissing vinny and chaddy, both of those guys had good success as jets qb and the teams they were on were flawed in other ways too.

My point is simple:  If they're going to show respect to the likes of McCown, Pennington, and Testaverde, they need to do the same for Sanchez.  Not only did he get a bum deal compared to these others, he did more with it at a younger age and had legitimate postseason success.

SAR I

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Josh McCown is literally a better man than 99% of the people out there.

Mark Sanchez was a grown man f#cking 17 year old girls.

Stop it.

What athletes do off the field doesn't concern me.  I pay money to see them on the gridiron.  

And I like Josh McCown.  He was nice to my son, great guy.  But as a New York Jet?  Please.  To watch people fawn over McCown and spit on Sanchez is a joke.

SAR I

5 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Fun Fact: Vinny Testaverde has the highest winning percentage of any Jets quarterback. (35-26 as a starter).

Sanchez was 33-29. 

Chad was 32-29.

Well there you have it.  All 3 were essentially the same with the important difference being that Mark Sanchez won more playoff games than the other two, had less offensive talent around him than the other two, had lesser head coaching and GM'ing than the other two, and was younger than the other two.

Hey, you don't have to stop admiring Testaverde and Pennington.  You just have to start admiring Sanchez.  It's ludicrous not to.  The downfall of the Jets wasn't his fault, it was Ryan and Tannenbaum who screwed it up.  Mark was the best Jet on the field in back to back AFC Championship Games.  He deserved better then and he deserves better now.

SAR I

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

My point is simple:  If they're going to show respect to the likes of McCown, Pennington, and Testaverde, they need to do the same for Sanchez.  Not only did he get a bum deal compared to these others, he did more with it at a younger age and had legitimate postseason success.

SAR I

i suppose so.  he got them close, twice.  that's more than any qb except namath.  but at the same time there just seemed to be something about sanchez that made him expendable.  maybe if rex hadn't played him in that preseason game his career would've turned out differently.  but he also still hasn't latched onto any team in more than a back up role.  and when he has played, he hasn't done that well.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Well there you have it.  All 3 were essentially the same with the important difference being that Mark Sanchez won more playoff games than the other two, had less offensive talent around him than the other two, had lesser head coaching and GM'ing than the other two, and was younger than the other two.

Hey, you don't have to stop admiring Testaverde and Pennington.  You just have to start admiring Sanchez.  It's ludicrous not to.  The downfall of the Jets wasn't his fault, it was Ryan and Tannenbaum who screwed it up.  Mark was the best Jet on the field in back to back AFC Championship Games.  He deserved better then and he deserves better now.

SAR I

i don't know if you can say sanchez had less offensive talent than vinny or chaddy.  holmes and edwards were a pretty good combo for one season.  cotchery was pretty good.  and his line with brick, mangold, and woody was better.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know if you can say sanchez had less offensive talent than vinny or chaddy.  holmes and edwards were a pretty good combo for one season.  cotchery was pretty good.  and his line with brick, mangold, and woody was better.

Testaverde had a Hall of Fame Center, Hall of Fame Running Back, Hall of Fame Head Coach.

Pennington had a Hall of Fame Center, Hall of Fame Running Back.

Sanchez had a revolving door of old guys with only a year left in the tank and a head coach obsessed with being a defensive coordinator.

Sanchez had the tougher road yet the same regular season record and a far superior postseason record.  He deserves the same admiration as those other two.

SAR I