Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big g

He’s a great dude. Never could argue that. Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Always liked McCown. Total team guy. Would love to see him as an NFL or College offensive coach down the road if he wants it. 

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Loves Mark Sanchez.  Hates Don Mattingly.

Yeah.

No.

Respects Mark Sanchez.  Doesn't respect Don Mattingly.  

Mattingly went 2-3 in his only postseason.  Sanchez went 4-2 in consecutive postseasons.

Regular seasons mean dick when looking at a player's career in New York.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Well there you have it.  All 3 were essentially the same with the important difference being that Mark Sanchez won more playoff games than the other two, had less offensive talent around him than the other two, had lesser head coaching and GM'ing than the other two, and was younger than the other two.

Hey, you don't have to stop admiring Testaverde and Pennington.  You just have to start admiring Sanchez.  It's ludicrous not to.  The downfall of the Jets wasn't his fault, it was Ryan and Tannenbaum who screwed it up.  Mark was the best Jet on the field in back to back AFC Championship Games.  He deserved better then and he deserves better now.

SAR I

Vinny T's wins above replacement are off the charts when you look at the 1998 and 1999 Jets.  

And not for nothing, but the 1998 Broncos were one of the greatest teams of all time.  The Colts and Steelers went on to lose the Super Bowl anyway.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No.

Respects Mark Sanchez.  Doesn't respect Don Mattingly.  

Mattingly went 2-3 in his only postseason.  Sanchez went 4-2 in consecutive postseasons.

Regular seasons mean dick when looking at a player's career in New York.

SAR I

It's really not Mattingly's fault that the Yankees never had decent pitching for the entirety of his career.

It's also absurd to say he wasn't clutch in the playoffs.  In his only appearance in 1995 vs Seattle he went 10 for 24 (.417) with 3 runs and 6 rbis, including what should have been the series clinching RBI double in Game 5.

you don't respect Don Mattingly?  LOL

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Vinny T's wins above replacement are off the charts when you look at the 1998 and 1999 Jets.  

And not for nothing, but the 1998 Broncos were one of the greatest teams of all time.  The Colts and Steelers went on to lose the Super Bowl anyway.

Here we go again with this One-Year-Wonder Vinny Testaverde love.  Where does it come from?  Because he's Italian?  Because he's a Long Islander? 

Testaverde = 1 playoff season, 3 years where he wasted our time and failed.

Sanchez = 2 playoff seasons, 2 years where he wasted our time and failed.

If you respect Testaverde for his brief flash here, you respect Sanchez too.  He was better than Testaverde.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

It's really not Mattingly's fault that the Yankees never had decent pitching for the entirety of his career.

It's also absurd to say he wasn't clutch in the playoffs.  In his only appearance in 1995 vs Seattle he went 10 for 24 (.417) with 3 runs and 6 rbis, including what should have been the series clinching RBI double in Game 5.

you don't respect Don Mattingly?  LOL

No, I don't respect players on losing teams who don't make the most of their postseason appearances.  I don't care about statistics.  I don't live for fantasy sports.  You can tell when a guy has that clutch gene and when he doesn't.  Mattingly didn't have it.

Mattingly was Staub and Piazza.  Nicely groomed men who said the right things and were a shining example of player behavior.  I'll take Lawrence Taylor and his mean streak and his drug habit thank you.  I'll take Adam Graves and his snarl and his spearing thank you.  I pay for wins.  I don't pay for autographs.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I do.  Obviously.

Well with McCown everybody always expected those teams to be terrible. So nobody had any expectations and just liked him for being a good guy.

 

Some jets fans were dumb enough to believe fitz could be something more than the perennial choke artist he is. Fooled because he was throwing up 50/50 jump balls to Marshall and decker all year. Then the next year after choking away the playoffs he holds out for more money and then plays awful. It's not hard to see why they're talked about differently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SAR I said:
Quote
Quote

I hate Don Mattingly.

Hates Don Mattingly

No.

Doesn't respect Don Mattingly.  

:-k

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Sanchez went 4-2 in consecutive postseasons.

The image SAR falls asleep to every night....

 OIP.ELyi5cwIWLppHJgcF2LziwHaFi?pid=Api&r

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Well with McCown everybody always expected those teams to be terrible. So nobody had any expectations and just liked him for being a good guy.

OH, so being a horrible QB loser is cool, as long as we all know in advance you're a loser and you help old ladies cross the street.  Got it.

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Some jets fans were dumb enough to believe fitz could be something more than the perennial choke artist he is.

It was Fitz or Geno.  The dumb fans wanted Geno. 

The smart Fans wanted our GM to get him paid and in camp and get going.  Our GM screwed that up, not the fans.

And lets not forget how many injuries we had that year....or is that only a valid excuse for our current Golden Boy?

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Fooled because he was throwing up 50/50 jump balls to Marshall and decker all year.

Best year either WR ever had in their careers, and both were quickly out of the NFL after their time with Fitz. 

But yeah, it was totally all them, lol.

On the bright side, I'm sure our current Golden Boy will exceed Fitz's production that year.  After all it's easy, right, what kind of scrub QB can't out produce a guy like Fitz, amirite?

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

It's not hard to see why they're talked about differently.

I could certainly give you some reasons you've missed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I hate Don Mattingly.  He represents the type of Yankee that needed to get out of the way in order for the clutch postseason performers to shine.  Brings me nothing but bad memories.

Jets fans bestow all this reverence on regular season compilers and pretty faces.  They would drool over Don Mattingly, just like they drool over Mike Piazza and Rusty Staub.  Decades of losing isn't offset by a poster on your wall.

SAR I

And what exactly has Adam Gase done so far that makes you "bestow reverence" on him?

You're probably the only Yankee/Jet fan alive who ranks these 3:

1) Mark Sanchez

2) Adam Gase

3) Don Mattingly

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

OH, so being a horrible QB loser is cool, as long as we all know in advance you're a loser and you help old ladies cross the street.  Got it.

It was Fitz or Geno.  The dumb fans wanted Geno. 

The smart Fans wanted our GM to get him paid and in camp and get going.  Our GM screwed that up, not the fans.

And lets not forget how many injuries we had that year....or is that only a valid excuse for our current Golden Boy?

Best year either WR ever had in their careers, and both were quickly out of the NFL after their time with Fitz. 

But yeah, it was totally all them, lol.

On the bright side, I'm sure our current Golden Boy will exceed Fitz's production that year.  After all it's easy, right, what kind of scrub QB can't out produce a guy like Fitz, amirite?

I could certainly give you some reasons you've missed.

It didnt matter whether our GM paid him and had him in camp. Fitz is a loser. Always has been always will be. He has proved that again and again and again to the point where it is laughable that he has anyone defending him. 

 

When it matters most he always folds. For all the praise of how smart he is he played the QB position like a moron. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Here we go again with this One-Year-Wonder Vinny Testaverde love.  Where does it come from?  Because he's Italian?  Because he's a Long Islander? 

Testaverde = 1 playoff season, 3 years where he wasted our time and failed.

Sanchez = 2 playoff seasons, 2 years where he wasted our time and failed.

If you respect Testaverde for his brief flash here, you respect Sanchez too.  He was better than Testaverde.

SAR I

This is a garbage take, and you know it. 

Our offense in 98 was DOMINANT.  

 

Sanchez was along for the ride behind the best O line in the league.

 

0-6 gets us 11-5!! 🙄

 

Your opinions on Sanchez are absurd, lonely, and invalid. .

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This is a garbage take, and you know it. 

Our offense in 98 was DOMINANT.  

Sanchez was along for the ride behind the best O line in the league.

0-6 gets us 11-5!! 🙄

Your opinions on Sanchez are absurd, lonely, and invalid. .

Your opinions are cliche, juvenile, and tainted.  Testaverde was an awful Jet.  Fitzpatrick bested him and the ‘15 team was nowhere close to the ‘98 team.  

The ‘along for the ride’ myth again.  Sanchez led 5 fourth quarter comebacks for the ‘10 Jets.  Himself.  No defense.  No rushing attack. Lots of pinpoint passes.  Lots of smart audibles.  Turned 6-10 into 11-5.  Outplayed Manning and Brady in the same postseason. 

Fireman Ed is over.  Enjoy. 

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And what exactly has Adam Gase done so far that makes you "bestow reverence" on him?

You're probably the only Yankee/Jet fan alive who ranks these 3:

1) Mark Sanchez

2) Adam Gase

3) Don Mattingly

Sanchez - Best career playoff performances by any Jets quarterback in history.  

Gase - Am amazing first year, an exceptional head coach.  

Mattingly - A New York Met masquerading as a New York Yankee. 

SAR I

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, SAR I said:

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big game between them all.

And there's Mark Sanchez.  All he ever did was win.  And they couldn't wait to run him out of town.

SAR I

Quick break from the real world:

Staub carried the Mets all the way to the one game short of a world championship while severly hurt. He was a winner and a class act for decades, plus could make ribs you could eat with a fork.  

Additionally, Sanchez didn't win anything, the D and the RB's carried those two teams. 

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
No.
Respects Mark Sanchez.  Doesn't respect Don Mattingly.  
Mattingly went 2-3 in his only postseason.  Sanchez went 4-2 in consecutive postseasons.
Regular seasons mean dick when looking at a player's career in New York.
SAR I

I hear ya Sar. But not respecting Mattingly are you kidding??? Was the heart and soul of those mid 80 teams. Only postseason appearance batted 417 10 hits in 5 games. Cmon man


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do respect your opinion on Sanchez. I do. But he was not the one .never was gonna be the one. He played extremely well in those playoff games and should get more credit from Jet fans. Rex did fuk him up. Not denying that either. But your Qb has to grow into a leader. The color coded wrist bands. The post game interviews where he was rehearsed in what to say. Was not natural at all who knows what his career would have been with the Jets if Rex didn’t put him in that spot. I just never had the feeling that he was ever going to be ( IT ). Got a better sense of SAM being that guy that will lead us.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, SAR I said:

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big game between them all.

And there's Mark Sanchez.  All he ever did was win.  And they couldn't wait to run him out of town.

SAR I

You’ve lost it. Rusty Staub one of the all time great Mets. Belongs in Hall of Fame. 2716 hits. Just 284 shy of 3000. Played less than 100 games in 8 of his 23 seasons and still was so close to 3000. One of baseball’s all time clutch hitters. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jets0712 said:


I hear ya Sar. But not respecting Mattingly are you kidding??? Was the heart and soul of those mid 80 teams. Only postseason appearance batted 417 10 hits in 5 games. Cmon man


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I hate the Skankees I mean Yankees. I mean hate. Not dislike. HATE. But Mattingly. Damn that dude was as great a hitter as I’ve ever seen. The Hit Man. Perfect nickname. As good as George Brett, Tony Gwynn. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I'm all for a good Sanchez debate, how the hell does a story about McCown being a good dude warp into that?

With that said, with the lone exception of the Pats game (credit where it's due there), Sanchez was simply along for the ride in those playoff runs, and was an albatross in both championship games.  Every available fact shows as much, it's just baseless excuse-making that leads anyone to say differently.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

You’ve lost it. Rusty Staub one of the all time great Mets. Belongs in Hall of Fame. 2716 hits. Just 284 shy of 3000. Played less than 100 games in 8 of his 23 seasons and still was so close to 3000. One of baseball’s all time clutch hitters. 

How many playoff games did Rusty Staub win?  How many Championships did Rusty Staub win? 

2,951 games played.  11 of them were in the playoffs.  11.

Fantasy sports and statistics are no salve for the pain of endless losing.  If you're going to worship stat players, at least worship the ones who won something.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

As much as I'm all for a good Sanchez debate, how the hell does a story about McCown being a good dude warp into that?

My fault.  I'll stop now.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I hate the Skankees I mean Yankees. I mean hate. Not dislike. HATE. But Mattingly. Damn that dude was as great a hitter as I’ve ever seen. The Hit Man. Perfect nickname. As good as George Brett, Tony Gwynn. 

Bernie I think may be more underappreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sanchez - Best career playoff performances by any Jets quarterback in history.  

Gase - Am amazing first year, an exceptional head coach.  

Mattingly - A New York Met masquerading as a New York Yankee. 

SAR I

I realize you're just pushing buttons but I do agree that Sanchez elevated his game (by playing better while also eliminating mistakes) in the postseason both times.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 7:56 PM, Warfish said:

The dichotomy of how our frans view Fitz (loathed) and McCown (beloved) is something I will simply never understand.  /shrug

 

one had one ofthe best seasons for a jet qb ever....

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

I do respect your opinion on Sanchez. I do. But he was not the one .never was gonna be the one. He played extremely well in those playoff games and should get more credit from Jet fans. Rex did fuk him up. Not denying that either. But your Qb has to grow into a leader. The color coded wrist bands. The post game interviews where he was rehearsed in what to say. Was not natural at all who knows what his career would have been with the Jets if Rex didn’t put him in that spot. I just never had the feeling that he was ever going to be ( IT ). Got a better sense of SAM being that guy that will lead us.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

hilarious take on the qb that couldnt

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
How many playoff games did Rusty Staub win?  How many Championships did Rusty Staub win? 

2,951 games played.  11 of them were in the playoffs.  11.

Fantasy sports and statistics are no salve for the pain of endless losing.  If you're going to worship stat players, at least worship the ones who won something.

SAR I

SAR I - I remember you from the pre-Internet on the old Usenet NY Jets group. Unfortunately we are talking 30 years. I mostly love your posts ‐ especially the farcical ones. However, to compare a QB's influence on a team's result vs. a first baseman's impact is stretching things just a bit.

 

Sent from my SM-G975U using JetNation.com mobile app

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sanchez - Best career playoff performances by any Jets quarterback in history.  

Gase - Am amazing first year, an exceptional head coach.  

Mattingly - A New York Met masquerading as a New York Yankee. 

SAR I

Trolling 101

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of teams gave up 300+ yards to Peyton Manning.  That's not a valid excuse for Mark Sanchez.

Not many gave up 30 points to peyton in the playoffs and it could have been much more if they didn't take their foot off the gas.  Only 3 other times in his career did he lead his O to 30 points in a playoff game.  We lost because of the D, the same reason we lost at Pittsburgh.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...