10 hours ago, SAR I said:

How many playoff games did Rusty Staub win?  How many Championships did Rusty Staub win? 

2,951 games played.  11 of them were in the playoffs.  11.

Fantasy sports and statistics are no salve for the pain of endless losing.  If you're going to worship stat players, at least worship the ones who won something.

SAR I

Blahhhhhhh. Just because he didn’t win a championship doesn’t make him a average schmo. I can name 100 off the top of my head that were all stars/HOF players that never won a title. Doesn’t make their career any less. Try looking past your nose.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big g

He’s a great dude. Never could argue that. Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Always liked McCown. Total team guy. Would love to see him as an NFL or College offensive coach down the road if he wants it. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Blahhhhhhh. Just because he didn’t win a championship doesn’t make him a average schmo. I can name 100 off the top of my head that were all stars/HOF players that never won a title. Doesn’t make their career any less. Try looking past your nose.

If you are going to glorify Rusty Staub then you should glorify Mark Sanchez.  Everything you have written is a free pass for Rusty Staub and then you turn around and crap all over Mark Sanchez who also came close, who also was a team guy, who also played very well in spurts.  

If Mark sucks in your book then Rusty sucks too.  Can’t have it both ways. 

SAR I 

42 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you are going to glorify Rusty Staub then you should glorify Mark Sanchez.  Everything you have written is a free pass for Rusty Staub and then you turn around and crap all over Mark Sanchez who also came close, who also was a team guy, who also played very well in spurts.  

If Mark sucks in your book then Rusty sucks too.  Can’t have it both ways. 

SAR I 

You’re up to your all tricks in Chapter 4,5 and 6

On 8/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, SAR I said:

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big game between them all.

And there's Mark Sanchez.  All he ever did was win.  And they couldn't wait to run him out of town.

SAR I

piazza left more of a mark on history in 25 seconds than you have done in you’re entire miserable existence 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

piazza left more of a mark on history in 25 seconds than you have done in you’re entire miserable existence

2009_0217_gf_ClemensWS_a.jpg

Typical Mets fan.  Worships little moments by little players while the legends take home the hardware.  

SAR I

1 minute ago, Lizard King said:

Yeah that really squares well with your dirty Sanchez worship. 

Sure it does. I’m not comparing Mark Sanchez with Derek Jeter.

I’m simply saying that if you have a loveable losers club that includes players like Mike Piazza who played at a high-level in some memorable high-pressure situations, Mark Sanchez belongs in that club.  You can’t love on Piazza and hate on Sanchez, that is what doesn’t square well as they are the same player. 

Piazza‘s home run is the equivalent of Sanchez leading six epic comebacks in the 2010 season. Piazza‘s demeanor after playoff eliminations squares with Sanchez not throwing anyone under the bus when things started to fall apart after coming close to two championships and failing.  

The qualities you see in Piazza also exist in Sanchez and you should show him the same level of respect.  Hell, Piazza even had his own buttfumble with the Clemens bat incident.  Be consistent.  Mark deserves the same free passes you types give to Rusty and Mike and Vinny and Wayne.  

SAR I

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sure it does. I’m not comparing Mark Sanchez with Derek Jeter.

I’m simply saying that if you have a loveable losers club that includes players like Mike Piazza who played at a high-level in some memorable high-pressure situations, Mark Sanchez belongs in that club.  You can’t love on Piazza and hate on Sanchez, that is what doesn’t square well as they are the same player. 

Piazza‘s home run is the equivalent of Sanchez leading six epic comebacks in the 2010 season. Piazza‘s demeanor after playoff eliminations squares with Sanchez not throwing anyone under the bus when things started to fall apart after coming close to two championships and failing.  

The qualities you see in Piazza also exist in Sanchez and you should show him the same level of respect.  Hell, Piazza even had his own buttfumble with the Clemens bat incident.  Be consistent.  Mark deserves the same free passes you types give to Rusty and Mike and Vinny and Wayne.  

SAR I

No it doesn’t   Although it’s cool too that Sanchez and You can both go to canton exactly under the same pretenses for the rest your lives 

05213118-3F0C-4B61-8531-4B2073E8002F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

No it doesn’t   Although it’s cool too that Sanchez and You can both go to canton exactly under the same pretenses for the rest your lives 

That's Curtis Martin thinking, Piazza is just another compiler, the beneficiary of a lengthy career.  As a Mets fan, a lengthy career with lots of losing is nothing to celebrate, I don't worship Don Mattingly for that exact reason.

But I respect Don Mattingly like you respect Mike Piazza.  Because they both did the best they could with the hands they were dealt and they both came close a few times to winning a Championship.  Just.  Like.  Mark.  Sanchez.

If you respect Mike Piazza you have to respect Mark Sanchez.  They are the same player.  Hell, Mark had it tougher, you should respect him a bit more than Piazza, certainly more than Vinny, Wayne, and Rusty.

SAR I

51 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's Curtis Martin thinking, Piazza is just another compiler, the beneficiary of a lengthy career.  As a Mets fan, a lengthy career with lots of losing is nothing to celebrate, I don't worship Don Mattingly for that exact reason.

But I respect Don Mattingly like you respect Mike Piazza.  Because they both did the best they could with the hands they were dealt and they both came close a few times to winning a Championship.  Just.  Like.  Mark.  Sanchez.

If you respect Mike Piazza you have to respect Mark Sanchez.  They are the same player.  Hell, Mark had it tougher, you should respect him a bit more than Piazza, certainly more than Vinny, Wayne, and Rusty.

SAR I

Respect Sanchez when he compiled a career akin to the amount of time those great players have that you mentioned. It is going to be hard for him to do from the bench though. 

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

Respect Sanchez when he compiled a career akin to the amount of time those great players have that you mentioned. It is going to be hard for him to do from the bench though. 

Again, it's not about careers because the careers led to frustration and zero championships. 

It's about moments of inspiration, one or two runs that brought a smile to your face amidst the decades of Mets and Jets gloom.

You yourself take great pride in a single Mike Piazza home run, you put up a video yesterday.  You should take the same sense of pride in Mark Sanchez' win over the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs.  Mark's 2010 season was no better or worse than Vinny's 1998 season, but Mark did it in consecutive years, 2009 happened too.  Pennington?  He had one little blip in 2002, sh-t the bed in Oakland, and never had playoff success again.  

If you laud Piazza for his special moments and special seasons, you laud Sanchez's too.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Again, it's not about careers because the careers led to frustration and zero championships. 

It's about moments of inspiration, one or two runs that brought a smile to your face amidst the decades of Mets and Jets gloom.

You yourself take great pride in a single Mike Piazza home run, you put up a video yesterday.  You should take the same sense of pride in Mark Sanchez' win over the Patriots in the 2010 playoffs.  Mark's 2010 season was no better or worse than Vinny's 1998 season, but Mark did it in consecutive years, 2009 happened too.  Pennington?  He had one little blip in 2002, sh-t the bed in Oakland, and never had playoff success again.  

If you laud Piazza for his special moments and special seasons, you laud Sanchez's too.

SAR I

Is Sanchez still of playing age and if so is he still starting? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Typical Mets fan.  Worships little moments by little players while the legends take home the hardware.  

SAR I

If I don’t misremember, wasn’t Clemens taking steroids up the butt by his lover Andy Petitte which tarnished his career as badly as Bonds. 

• Upvote 1
On 8/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, SAR I said:

Here we go again.  Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, now Josh McCown.  The loveable losers club.  The Rusty Staub Mike Piazza hall of shame.  Pretty faces, say all the right things, can't win a big game between them all.

And there's Mark Sanchez.  All he ever did was win.  And they couldn't wait to run him out of town.

SAR I

Oddly you left Mattingly, Winfield and dozens of other overpaid, under performers the Yankees have signed up who won nothing

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Piazza is just another compiler, the beneficiary of a lengthy career. 

Dont quite understand the game and the position of catcher and the toll it takes on your body

The Yankees wish they had a catcher like Piazza 

And his numbers the first SIX seasons of his career were .318 w/35 HRs, .319 w/28 HRs in only 107 games (shortened season), .346 w/32 HRs, .336 w/36 HRs and .362 w/40 HRs.  That would be better than any Yankee, EVER to suit up in the modern era  EVER

Great players who never won a thing

Ted Williams

Ty Cobb

Ernie Banks

Nap Lajoie

Ken Griffey, Jr

Tony Gwinn

Yaz

Rod Carew

Willie McCovey

Killabrew

Robin Yount

Ryne Sanberg

Andre Dawson

Carlton Fisk

Fergie Jenkins

Ichiro

Early Winn

Kiner

Dale Murphy

Barry Bonds

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Oddly you left Mattingly, Winfield and dozens of other overpaid, under performers the Yankees have signed up who won nothing

Thing is, I don’t abhor any of them, they tried hard and came up short, they provided some good memories, they were good Yankees.  

My point is if you are a Yankee fan and like those players, or are a Mets fan and like Piazza and Staub, then you must like Sanchez as he is no different than the rest of them. But Sanchez in these parts gets a type of hatred that none of these other players get. That’s all I am saying.

This isn’t a Mets Yankees debate; its a plea for local fans to be objective and stop treating Mark differently than Don, Dave, Rusty, Mike, Wayne, Chad, or Vinny.  He deserves similar tolerance for his team’s shortcomings and similar respect for the great moments he provided us. I want to see him get a round of applause at a MetLife coin toss, that’s all. 

SAR I

On 8/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, freestater said:

Mark Sanchez was responsible for giving up 300 something yards to Peyton Manning. 

Certainly not.  But, you don't get to stop scoring against Peyton Manning in the 2nd Quarter.  Certainly not when you're only up 11.

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thing is, I don’t abhor any of them, they tried hard and came up short, they provided some good memories, they were good Yankees.  

My point is if you are a Yankee fan and like those players, or are a Mets fan and like Piazza and Staub, then you must like Sanchez as he is no different than the rest of them. But Sanchez in these parts gets a type of hatred that none of these other players get. That’s all I am saying.

This isn’t a Mets Yankees debate; its a plea for local fans to be objective and stop treating Mark differently than Don, Dave, Rusty, Mike, Wayne, Chad, or Vinny.  He deserves similar tolerance for his team’s shortcomings and similar respect for the great moments he provided us. I want to see him get a round of applause at a MetLife coin toss, that’s all. 

SAR I

And pizza was a better Met than all of them.  

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And pizza was a better Met than all of them.  

That's very possible, I wouldn't know as I am not a Mets fan and only watched 5 of his games.

But by the same token, Mark was a better Jet than Vinny or Chad.  His number of starts in NY was the same as Vinny and Chad, he had the same amount of wins as Vinny and Chad, and he had more postseason success than Vinny and Chad combined.  The point being, Mark shouldn't be hated and Vinny and Chad beloved.  

SAR I

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Certainly not.  But, you don't get to stop scoring against Peyton Manning in the 2nd Quarter.  Certainly not when you're only up 11.

The fact that a 23 year old kid who should have been in his dorm in college was instead up 11 points against a dynasty in an AFC Championship Game after throwing 2 great TD's and winning 2 road playoff games was a great accomplishment unto itself not to mention that we supposedly had the best defense in the history of the league according to our head coach.

The blame for that loss is not on the kid quarterback.  It was on the defense.

SAR I

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The fact that a 23 year old kid who should have been in his dorm in college was instead up 11 points against a dynasty in an AFC Championship Game after throwing 2 great TD's and winning 2 road playoff games was a great accomplishment unto itself not to mention that we supposedly had the best defense in the history of the league according to our head coach.

The blame for that loss is not on the kid quarterback.  It was on the defense.

SAR I

If I told you your offense would stop scoring in the 2nd quarter, and manage 9 more 1st downs the rest of the game, what would you say your odds of winning against Peyton Manning in his prime are?  How many points would you need to be up at that point, to bet on your team?

The ONLY sustainable defense in the NFL is a 1st down on offense.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Remember that they were moving the ball to begin the 2nd half (would miss a FG) when shonn Greene got hurt.  Once Greene left that game so did our offense.  We had a rookie QB with no threat of a run game against 2 of the best pass rushers in the game in a dome stadium.  To blame Sanchez in any way is beyond ridiculous.

• Post of the Week 1
5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Remember that they were moving the ball to begin the 2nd half (would miss a FG) when shonn Greene got hurt.  Once Greene left that game so did our offense.  We had a rookie QB with no threat of a run game against 2 of the best pass rushers in the game in a dome stadium.  To blame Sanchez in any way is beyond ridiculous.

My favorite Mark Sanchez excuse making strategy is the one in which we find something else bad that happened, to then totally absolve any blame or accountability on his part.  It's as if Shonn Greene was Barry Sanders all of a sudden.  It's irrelevant that he led the offense to zero points with 7 first downs and only 8 completions prior to the final garbage time drive.  He lost Shonn Greene.  That's all that matters.  Never has QB been asked to succeed without Shonn Greene.

• Haha 1
On 8/16/2020 at 9:37 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Wow! You are so much smarter and thoughtful of a poster to write this. You know what the mood of NYC and the nation in general was after 9-11. Shock, anger, despair, heartbreak, mourning dead family members and colleagues. Crying yourself to sleep, wondering why you were spared and not others. Will we ever have a real life again?

It was in the 10 days or so between the actual attack and that ballgame that Mike Piazza became a hero in NYC. Going with his teammates,down to Ground Zero, to mourn, to show support to the workers , to let them cry on his shoulders. The story of him showing up to the home a woman and her little boy unannounced, who lost their husband and father as he tried to save people in the Trade Center, made him a New Yorker for life, an icon, a man who will never have to buy a drink ever again in this great city.

The ballgame that night was surreal, from the tension and uncertainty in the stands, to the players from both teams embracing before the start. The first sporting event in the city since that fateful day, a chance for people to finally do something normal,  to forget about things for a few hours with their fellow citizens. When Mike hit that HR, as he was circling the bases to absolute bedlam, it was a big "F-you" to the terrorists and in a much bigger way, was NYC saying to the rest of the country..." hop on our backs, we've got this." It even moved Chipper Jones, maybe the biggest villain ever in Mets fans eyes to remark, "this is one night I wasn't upset losing to the Mets."

Little moment by a little player? Hardly. One of the greatest moments in NYC sports history? Definitely.

• Post of the Week 1

I am so sick of hearing how good Mark was for being "only 23 years old."  That would indicate that he would somehow improve as he matured.   He did not.  The idea that one fan can tell another who to revere is among the most stupid and laughable things I can imagine.  Considering the source, I am not surprised.   

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

My favorite Mark Sanchez excuse making strategy is the one in which we find something else bad that happened, to then totally absolve any blame or accountability on his part.  It's as if Shonn Greene was Barry Sanders all of a sudden.  It's irrelevant that he led the offense to zero points with 7 first downs and only 8 completions prior to the final garbage time drive.  He lost Shonn Greene.  That's all that matters.  Never has QB been asked to succeed without Shonn Greene.

They scored 17 in the first half, they drive into FG range the first drive of the second half which is the drive Greene got hurt on.

Greene was their only threat of a run game, without him the D knew the Jets had to pass.  Do you think that helps a D facing a rookie QB?

We have the worst fanbase in sports

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

They scored 17 in the first half, they drive into FG range the first drive of the second half which is the drive Greene got hurt on.

Greene was their only threat of a run game, without him the D knew the Jets had to pass.  Do you think that helps a D facing a rookie QB?

I get that Thomas Jones wasn't getting it done, but he had 1,400 and 14 TDs in 2009.  Maybe if they weren't stacking the box he would have been more successful in that game?  The missed FG was from 52.  The make was from 48.   If we have the worst fanbase in sports, it is from being populated by people that act like attempting a 50 yard field goal equates with a win for the offense.   You make it seem like he drove down to the 7, the drive stalled and then Feely let him down.  Meanwhile, it seems that Brad Smith's 45 yard pass is overlooked because Sanchez managed to punch that one in.

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that Thomas Jones wasn't getting it done, but he had 1,400 and 14 TDs in 2009.  Maybe if they weren't stacking the box he would have been more successful in that game?  The missed FG was from 52.  The make was from 48.   If we have the worst fanbase in sports, it is from being populated by people that act like attempting a 50 yard field goal equates with a win for the offense.   You make it seem like he drove down to the 7, the drive stalled and the Feely let him down.  Meanwhile, it seems that Brad Smith's 45 yard pass is overlooked because Sanchez managed to punch that one in.

I’m not going to bother looking his numbers up bc I’m pretty sure that was Jones career year,  testament to the kind of offensive line developed which not incidentally gave Sanchez a nuclear deterrent from any opposing defenseman for multiple seconds longer than Anyone could have envisioned 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The closest they came to another point being a 52-yard-FG isn't the argument you think it is.

If there's anything wrong with this fanbase, it's that we crown awful quarterbacks who give us even a glimmer of hope that they're not terrible.

If you pay close attention, even today, you may see us making a franchise QB out of a guy who's proven exactly zero.

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that Thomas Jones wasn't getting it done, but he had 1,400 and 14 TDs in 2009.  Maybe if they weren't stacking the box he would have been more successful in that game?  The missed FG was from 52.  The make was from 48.   If we have the worst fanbase in sports, it is from being populated by people that act like attempting a 50 yard field goal equates with a win for the offense.   You make it seem like he drove down to the 7, the drive stalled and then Feely let him down.  Meanwhile, it seems that Brad Smith's 45 yard pass is overlooked because Sanchez managed to punch that one in.

Thomas Jones was useless in the playoffs,  I don't know if he was hurt or just ran out of gas but he provided no threat of a run game.

Jones had 45 carries in that Postseason for 117 yards, 2.6 YPC.  

It was a 52 yard attempt after Greene went down at the Jets 41.  They still moved the ball and got into makeable FG range in a dome.

The Smith play was big but did you see the incredible pass as he got crushed for the Keller TD to cap that drive off?  There's never anything positive about mark from fans like you, that's why our fans suck.  We'll praise Favre and Fitzpatrick who did absolutely nothing for our team and bash guys like mark who helped us win.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
18 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The closest they came to another point being a 52-yard-FG isn't the argument you think it is.

If there's anything wrong with this fanbase, it's that we crown awful quarterbacks who give us even a glimmer of hope that they're not terrible.

If you pay close attention, even today, you may see us making a franchise QB out of a guy who's proven exactly zero.

Rookie QB on the road in a dome with zero threat of a run game against TWO premiere pass rushers coming at home from both sides.  What a great situation for a QB 😂

• Post of the Week 1