Training Camp Tweets 8/14

kdels62

34 minutes ago, Drums said:

If there is a full season, I think this year is Mims + Perriman = RA’s production and hopefully more. It is only 779 yards and 5 TDs. I think Perriman can manage that by himself to be honest. 

even if he does...  how much will you bitch and moan that he sint good enough?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

even if he does...  how much will you bitch and moan that he sint good enough?

Me? I’m not complaining haha and would be ecstatic if Perriman has an RA type season. When you look at the numbers, Robby didn’t leave as big of a whole as you would think. Quite frankly I think JD just got rid of personalities he didn’t like or need. It is what it is. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

...but what was their body language like when they pulled their hamstrings? That's the way to tell if its serious. 

Mark Sanchez had the best body language of any Jets player in the history of the franchise, and people here are glorifying guys like Denzel Mims. Pathetic ingrates.

-SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Passing on a chance to grab WR Antonio Gandy-Golden instead going for a developmental QB, James Morgan seems like a head scratcher. Yeah, we need roster depth but expecting to catch lightening in a bottle with Breshad Perriman and have him replace Anderson's production seems like wishful thinking.

What is with the great love affair with RA. Perriman will surprise all those folks. By end of season it’s gonna be

”Robby who”?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What is with the great love affair with RA. Perriman will surprise all those folks. By end of season it’s gonna be

”Robby who”?

I didn't like Anderson much, immature, he disappeared at times in games. On the plus side...he was fast, he caught the ball and he did it in four years of bad Jets football. He managed 941 yards in catch yardage with Josh McCown throwing the ball in 2017.

Perriman has a reputation, fair or not, of taking a while to get comfortable in a new offense. Expecting him to immediately thrive in Gase's complex offense and surpass his 2019 career high of 645 yards in Bruce Arian's system is a big ask.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Drums said:

If there is a full season, I think this year is Mims + Perriman = RA’s production and hopefully more. It is only 779 yards and 5 TDs. I think Perriman can manage that by himself to be honest. 

Fair enough but Anderson's 779 yards was in a season where Jet Legends, Luke Falk and Trevor Sieman, threw for a combined total of 419 yards in four of those games. I think it's likely that Anderson's total yardage might have been affected by Sam Darnold's monopoly game.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  That area in the late 4th round where they got QB James Morgan and OL Cameron Clark seemed like a good area to dip into WR again.....  Antonio Gandy Golden, Gabriel Davis, Tyler Johnson, Donovan Peoples-Jones were all available and worthy of a Day 3 pick.

I can't judge Joe D right now though.  In hindsight that selection of Ashytn Davis was a bit of a hedge scratcher, although we knew it was a hedge against Jamal Adams and/or Marcus Maye departing and it seems to have been a good call.  So we'll let this play out and see if guys like Cager or another addition not yet on the team can step up at WR.

I think JD got the wr he wanted. With the amount of wr drafted this year, plus the cap being a question mark, i think it’s realistic to expect that multiple starting-caliber wr will get cut in camp.

we’re positioned well to wait for some cuts

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

Fair enough but Anderson's 779 yards was in a season where Jet Legends, Luke Falk and Trevor Sieman, threw for a combined total of 419 yards in four of those games. I think it's likely that Anderson's total yardage might have been affected by Sam Darnold's monopoly game.

Yeah no doubt but he still only had 5 TDs so that tells me he wasn’t really a red zone threat. Perriman had more TDs (6) and less catches so maybe he will do just fine. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And so does running full speed for the first practices

They happen all the time, to every team

But hey, lets panic

Who said I was panicing, I just think more or maybe even proper stretching might be the cause.

7 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Passing on a chance to grab WR Antonio Gandy-Golden instead going for a developmental QB, James Morgan seems like a head scratcher. Yeah, we need roster depth but expecting to catch lightening in a bottle with Breshad Perriman and have him replace Anderson's production seems like wishful thinking.

I agree. This team is not a contender this year.  If we lose Sam, the season is likely over. With all the holes we have, I dont know that a developmental backup QB was a need in the 4th round

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I agree. This team is not a contender this year.  If we lose Sam, the season is likely over. With all the holes we have, I dont know that a developmental backup QB was a need in the 4th round

My own two cents.  That was JD smartly covering his butt.  If Sam doesn't work out.  The fan base doesn't have anything to focus on and he doesn't have a stop gap till he can draft another stud.  Sam has shown the ability to make average receivers good when he's not running around the field for his life.   But when we didnt have a backup we were sunk.  So if Sam doesn't make that leap... (knocks on wood) suddenly that 4th round pick doesnt looks bad.  JD probably can give a dozen similar situations in NFL history where somebody made a similar move.  An unknown QB sitting on the bench is always something you can sell.  (Provided that Dowell Loggains doesn't spend much time with him.  So we might be screwed anyway.)

54 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

My own two cents.  That was JD smartly covering his butt.  If Sam doesn't work out.  The fan base doesn't have anything to focus on and he doesn't have a stop gap till he can draft another stud.  Sam has shown the ability to make average receivers good when he's not running around the field for his life.   But when we didnt have a backup we were sunk.  So if Sam doesn't make that leap... (knocks on wood) suddenly that 4th round pick doesnt looks bad.  JD probably can give a dozen similar situations in NFL history where somebody made a similar move.  A unknown QB sitting on the bench is always something you can sell.  (Provided that Dowell Loggains doesn't spend much time with him.  So we might be screwed anyway.)

I can see that. At the end of the day, my gripes with that pick are minimal. It's my lease favorite pick just because I would have rather we take another shot at WR. However, compared to the GMs we have had for the better part of the last decade, this pick doesnt even register tbh. Nothing like the screaming and cursing that went on when when Q Will was taken ??

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Who said I was panicing, I just think more or maybe even proper stretching might be the cause.

You've never been to a practice or gone early to a game is all I'm saying

Every team starts both with a long stitching session.  There are no secret ways to stretch properly.  It has nothing to do with stretching properly and more than the Jets had a rash of hammy injuries last season.  Its early in camp, muscle tweaks happen

11 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Andersons total yardage also might just have been affected by the total disappearing act he tends to have in games and for games too.

Robbie Anderson is the type of WR every team has at least one of on their roster.  That he was our only WR was the problem with this team.  

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I didn't like Anderson much, immature, he disappeared at times in games. On the plus side...he was fast, he caught the ball and he did it in four years of bad Jets football. He managed 941 yards in catch yardage with Josh McCown throwing the ball in 2017.

Perriman has a reputation, fair or not, of taking a while to get comfortable in a new offense. Expecting him to immediately thrive in Gase's complex offense and surpass his 2019 career high of 645 yards in Bruce Arian's system is a big ask.

Last year was Perriman's first year in Tampa's offense and he didn't start until the last four games of the season. He did okay. This will be his third offense in three years, by now he knows the drill. He's on a one year deal here, he'll be motivated to produce to either get an extension or get paid elsewhere. He's going to have every opportunity to surpass those numbers and, I think it's fair to say, it will be a disappointment if he doesn't. 

I don't know how complex the offense is going to be this year, particularly for the outside guys. Whoever they are, they'll be first time starters here. I expect them to be used in a way that consistently takes advantage of their speed, pulling defenders deep with them, while Darnold works a lot of the underneath with Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, and Bell. That would be my plan, anyway. Sam will have to hit a few of those deep routes to keep the defenses honest, too, and I think if he has decent protection we'll see more of that this season. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

If we loose Sam, it's Joe Flacco's perfect opportunity to write his own redemption story ?

17 hours ago, thshadow said:

Can you find Becton in this picture?

I think he's going to need to improve his knee bend in the huddle to hear Sam.  Too much from the waist.

E_SR520748

unfortunately doesn't actually give us any indication of whether Beckton is LT or RT

all OL on the left, all skill players on the right

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Which sounds good because people are panicked over training camp strains.

When the QB goes down and we need a QB down the road it will be we should have drafted a QB

If Sam goes down, I was planning on breaking out the buttered popcorn for a Joe Flacco, Rocky Balboa moment.

Glad you're healthy again and back at it, Jet Nut ?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

If Sam goes down, I was planning on breaking out the buttered popcorn for a Joe Flacco, Rocky Balboa moment.

Glad you're healthy again and back at it, Jet Nut ?

Would be great, cue up Gonna Fly Now or whatever the songs called, lol

Hey thanks guy, takes awhile but feeling much better, stay safe!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ljr said:

unfortunately doesn't actually give us any indication of whether Beckton is LT or RT

all OL on the left, all skill players on the right

It's showing them lined up in a huddle. Once the offensive lineman turn around and head towards the LOS Becton would be in the LT position.

• Sympathy 1

From Connor Hughes column in the Athletic.  Not sure why the Jets won't allow reporters to comment on positions each guy plays, but I think @RobR. nailed it with his observation.  Sure looks like Becton is LT.

https://theathletic.com/1996936/2020/08/14/and-were-off-observations-from-the-jets-first-day-of-team-practice-drills/?source=emp_shared_article

Early look at the depth chart

The Jets’ media policy prevents reporting of specific alignments, so you’ll have to connect the dots for the position each guy played. Sam Darnold, Le’Veon Bell, Chris Herndon, Vyncint Smith, Jamison Crowder, Breshad Perriman, Mekhi Becton, Alex Lewis, Connor McGovern, Greg Van Roten and George Fant worked with the first-team offense.

David Fales, LaMical Perine, Trevon Wesco, Jeff Smith, Braxton Berrios, Josh Malone, Conor McDermott, Josh Andrews, Jonotthan Harrison, Cameron Clark and Chuma Edoga worked with the twos. Mike White and James Morgan were the third- and fourth-team quarterbacks, while Lawrence Cager and Jehu Chesson worked as the third-team wideouts.

16 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I think he was only in Tampa a year    I also think he was hampered more by having two good high draft picks starting ahead of him

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's showing them lined up in a huddle. Once the offensive lineman turn around and head towards the LOS Becton would be in the LT position.

ok, unsure whether they're breaking the huddle and playing to the right or to the left ... will have to try to dissect this further, as we have very little football info