If Becton were guaranteed to have a D'Brickashaw-like career, would you take it, or roll the dice with his upside?

If Becton were guaranteed to have a D'Brickashaw-like career, would you take it, or roll the dice with his upside?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Settle for Becton being D'Brick 2.0?

• Yes
    • No

My hope is that he has a far better career than Brick.  Brick was very good. I disagree with those that call him "elite", other than his avoidance of injuries (which is incredibly valuable).  Not sure that Brick ever really liked/loved the game.  

5 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Ferguson's accolades:

• 3x Pro Bowler

• 160 consecutive starts

• Never missed a game in his career

Generally, I think this would be a no-brainer and a landslide, but I pose the question as I've seen numerous posters on this board, NFL talking heads, etc., mention how Becton could be a perennial all pro and hall of fame player at the end of day.

Ferguson had a very good, not great career, but he solidified the left side of the line since the day he stepped onto the field. Absolutely nothing to scoff at.

So, knowing what we currently know about how Becton's career will pan out (nothing), would you be willing to forgo a decade of above-average LT play and deal with any of the potential outcomes (bust, average, pro bowler, etc.), in order to see if Becton could fulfill his potential?

Hot Chicken wings in the hand or in the bush and shit. 

I’m not so sure that the difference between Brick and an all time great LT is as significant to wins and losses as the difference between Brick and a bust.

He plays LT. If he were a QB or WR, it’s different. For me, if you can guarantee Brick’s career without risking a bust, I take it with a potential young FQB in the making.

Ferguson's accolades:
• 3x Pro Bowler
• 160 consecutive starts
• Never missed a game in his career
Generally, I think this would be a no-brainer and a landslide, but I pose the question as I've seen numerous posters on this board, NFL talking heads, etc., mention how Becton could be a perennial all pro and hall of fame player at the end of day.
Ferguson had a very good, not great career, but he solidified the left side of the line since the day he stepped onto the field. Absolutely nothing to scoff at.
So, knowing what we currently know about how Becton's career will pan out (nothing), would you be willing to forgo a decade of above-average LT play and deal with any of the potential outcomes (bust, average, pro bowler, etc.), in order to see if Becton could fulfill his potential?

Absolutely would take Brick’s career in a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Becton has the potential to be a game changer at OL, a far better player than Brick ever was. But a decade of elite pass blocking and never missing a game? Yeah, I'll take it

Doggin ? Elite ? Brick was a good at best pass blocker not even close to elite hes not even in the top 10 NY Jets offensive lineman of all time not even close . Since the early 70's the Jets were always a team known for having some of the best offensive lines in the game They were top five in the NFL throughout the 70's 80's and parts of the mid to late 90's . Even in the 2000's with part anchored by Mawae and part Anchored by Mangold they were always a top unit. These last few years have been a big downturn which I feel guys like Becton will turn around quick just the additions this season will make a huge difference the only thing will be nailing down the communication early, if they can do that they should edge right back to the top within the next 2 years . We may even see a few struggles at the beginning of this season due to the lack of practice with  a relatively new unit I would say mid season will be the answer for our O line this season and that goes for the entire offense the D is a bit further along with more starters coming back hopefully they hold the fort while the O and OL work out the kinks

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

OMG, people are praying for Becton to plateau at mediocrity and then cost us an AFC Championship Game.  

SOJF are the worst.  

SAR I

Nobody is hoping that’s his ceiling but he also has a chance to outright bust (a pretty good one imo)

So would I take the trade off? That he plateaus at D’Brick but def.won’t bust.  For sure I take that deal. 

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Doggin ? Elite ? Brick was a good at best pass blocker not even close to elite hes not even in the top 10 NY Jets offensive lineman of all time not even close . Since the early 70's the Jets were always a team known for having some of the best offensive lines in the game They were top five in the NFL throughout the 70's 80's and parts of the mid to late 90's . Even in the 2000's with part anchored by Mawae and part Anchored by Mangold they were always a top unit. These last few years have been a big downturn which I feel guys like Becton will turn around quick just the additions this season will make a huge difference the only thing will be nailing down the communication early, if they can do that they should edge right back to the top within the next 2 years . We may even see a few struggles at the beginning of this season due to the lack of practice with  a relatively new unit I would say mid season will be the answer for our O line this season and that goes for the entire offense the D is a bit further along with more starters coming back hopefully they hold the fort while the O and OL work out the kinks

I'm just going to leave this here

Screenshot_20200816-074634_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, addage said:

It’s a question because fans hope for/expect perfection. Myself included. Becton has a chance to be better and I would love it 

But there isn’t a GM in the league who wouldn’t say yes.  At least a GM not named McCagnan.

Seriously? Brick was an anchor to one of the best OL we ever had and when he retired we never replaced him. If Becton  can have a career like Brick, sign me up for that. I don't  need for him to become Jonathan Ogden or Larry Allen, I woukd be fine if he becomes a pro bowl LT like Brick. 

20 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

talking heads, etc., mention how Becton could be a perennial all pro and hall of fame player at the end of day.

Pretty much the narrative going into the draft was that there were very good lineman available at the top of the draft but that there weren't any stud/generational, HOF types in this draft.