If Becton were guaranteed to have a D'Brickashaw-like career, would you take it, or roll the dice with his upside?

If Becton were guaranteed to have a D'Brickashaw-like career, would you take it, or roll the dice with his upside?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Settle for Becton being D'Brick 2.0?

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He was in 97 he was also the reason Ron Wolf couldn't draft Farve in 91 because we used our 1st rd pick on Moore in the supplemental draft in 90..

And his first move when he went to GB the next year was to trade with Atlanta to get him. As least we got Nagle, though.?

Adam Gase on Mekhi Becton: "He looks like he’s been doing this for a minute. Looks very natural for him. Any time a rookie gets plugged into that starting offensive line, we all know it’s a lot. He looks comfortable to me. He’s not making mistakes. He’s doing a really good job"

6 hours ago, Savage69 said:

He was in 97 he was also the reason Ron Wolf couldn't draft Farve in 91 because we used our 1st rd pick on Moore in the supplemental draft in 90..

As if we knew in 90 what and who would be available in 91?

Never mind Steinberg and Wolf could have moved up the one spot it would have taken to get Favre 

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Too many people in this thread are sleeping on Becton. He's going to end up a much better player than Brick ever was. 

That would be great. I'm hoping he is better, and (other than the consecutive starts/snaps part) it shouldn't be this amazing mountain to climb. 

He was excellent for 5 years but also wasn't excellent for 5 years (his first 2 and final 3). 

However given the career overall, however I hope Becton is better (and see that physically he should be able to) I wouldn't walk away from Ferguson's career. 

Really it's an interesting question (not that we have any say in the outcome). Ferguson wasn't nearly as great as some Jets fans like to retell the story of his career, but most LT careers - including those drafted in the top 15 - are worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That would be great. I'm hoping he is better, and (other than the consecutive starts/snaps part) it shouldn't be this amazing mountain to climb. 

He was excellent for 5 years but also wasn't excellent for 5 years (his first 2 and final 3). 

However given the career overall, however I hope Becton is better (and see that physically he should be able to) I wouldn't walk away from Ferguson's career. 

Really it's an interesting question (not that we have any say in the outcome). Ferguson wasn't nearly as great as some Jets fans like to retell the story of his career, but most LT careers - including those drafted in the top 15 - are worse.

Well said and I agree 100%. Brick flat out sucked his first two years and then he developed into one of the best passblocking LT's in the NFL for 3-4 years. He was never good in the run game and could never punish his opponents. I'm not trying to take anything away from the player because he turned into a good draft pick but too many are looking at his career with the nostalgic goggles on. He also never made one All-Pro as the fourth overall pick in the draft.

With Becton you have someone that can move just as good, if not better than Brick, and he's almost two inches taller and 70 lbs. heavier(or more) when they entered the league. We're already seeing how great his work ethic is and if you've watched some of his college tape you can see how cerebral he is. He would not only call out the line protections from the T spot but would also change the plays for his QB. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2020 at 1:22 PM, Savage69 said:

Marvin Powell was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All Pro yet Kenny lovers always blamed the O-line for his failures. If you have a QB that has cement shoes for feet and can't move and has a slow release it's not always on the O-line.. I'll take the upside of Becton plus Sam is not a statue like Kenny was..

good point.  obrien used to hold onto the ball too long.  he had very good completion numbers but part of that was due to him taking a sack and not having it counted against his pass attempts.

I want MB upside...

1. Brick had growing pains.  His fist three seasons, many fans were calling him a bust.

2. Brick did not start pass blocking consistently and without a false start every now and then until Faneca joined the line.

3. NEVER in his career was Brick a good run blocker.  The Jets entire run play book was panned to the right.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

good point.  obrien used to hold onto the ball too long.  he had very good completion numbers but part of that was due to him taking a sack and not having it counted against his pass attempts.

O'Brien had the same problem that Daniel Jones has.  No pocket awareness.  Good arm, good football smarts, good leadership qualities... BUT... They just can't feel/see the pressure coming.  You cant coach for that.

Daniel Jones will be throwing nice passes, but will also be getting strip sacked with regularity.

At least now, the defenders cant go for the head.  When O'Brien played, the LB's and DE's LAUNCHED themselves right at his brain bucket.

Jones may have his ball stripped away, but at least his brains wont get knocked out of his ear. 

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

O'Brien had the same problem that Daniel Jones has.  No pocket awareness.  Good arm, good football smarts, good leadership qualities... BUT... They just can't feel/see the pressure coming.  You cant coach for that.

Daniel Jones will be throwing nice passes, but will also be getting strip sacked with regularity.

At least now, the defenders cant go for the head.  When O'Brien played, the LB's and DE's LAUNCHED themselves right at his brain bucket.

Jones may have his ball stripped away, but at least his brains wont get knocked out of his ear. 

didn't obrien get sacked 72 times one season?  that guy got clobbered.  it's too bad because he had one heck of an accurate arm.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

didn't obrien get sacked 72 times one season?  that guy got clobbered.  it's too bad because he had one heck of an accurate arm.

Yeah... He got his head handed to him.  I remember the playoff game vs the pats when Andre Tippet landed a nasty helmet to helmet on O'Brien that knocked him out of the game.   The Jets spent a lot building a line for him with players like Dave Cadigan and Mike Haight, but his pocket awareness was so bad the Berlin Wall would not have been good enough to stop him from getting his brains knocked out.   Same deal with Daniel Jones.Look for him to keep putting the ball on the ground.  He cant see the pressure...

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I want MB upside...

1. Brick had growing pains.  His fist three seasons, many fans were calling him a bust.

2. Brick did not start pass blocking consistently and without a false start every now and then until Faneca joined the line.

3. NEVER in his career was Brick a good run blocker.  The Jets entire run play book was panned to the right.

Brick was a very good pass protector and an ok run blocker. I want Becton to be all pro at both

• Upvote 2

Brick was a stud. Not sure you could ask for anything more. Above average, pro bowler, started  every game, missed one play in his entire career. Long Island kid and the son of public school teachers who represented himself, the Jets, and Long Island with the utmost class and dignity.  In his post career he continues to give back to the Long Island community. Yeah, anyone should take that type of person and player. 

5 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Brick was a stud. Not sure you could ask for anything more. Above average, pro bowler, started  every game, missed one play in his entire career. Long Island kid and the son of public school teachers who represented himself, the Jets, and Long Island with the utmost class and dignity.  In his post career he continues to give back to the Long Island community. Yeah, anyone should take that type of person and player. 

You could certainly ask for more but given the chances becton busts, is simply not as good or is as good or better but gets hurt, you'd be crazy not to sign up for dbrick.

Dbrick wasn't great but he was very good for a long time and never missed a game. That's tough to beat. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:22 PM, Savage69 said:

Marvin Powell was a 5 time Pro Bowler and 3 time All Pro yet Kenny lovers always blamed the O-line for his failures. If you have a QB that has cement shoes for feet and can't move and has a slow release it's not always on the O-line.. I'll take the upside of Becton plus Sam is not a statue like Kenny was..

Marvin Powell had his last pro bowl season in 1983 before Ken O'Brien ever took an NFL snap.  He was off the team by 1986.   They were both starters for one season, 1985.  The Jets went 11-5.  O'Brien threw for 3,888@61% 25/8,  Why don't you tell us how awesome Dave Cadigan was?   They had to play poor ******* Jim Sweeney at LT.