Jets WRs/Cap - Bitoni Is Spot On

JetsLife

Also the folks writing off Denzel Mims from contributing this season are off their rocker. By all accounts it’s a slight hamstring and he should be back in a week or two. This is very similar to all the idiots on WFAN hooting and hollering about Aaron Judge.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

The Hopkins trade was certainly a missed opportunity, but who knows what really happened with that deal. I get the sense OBrien didn’t really call around. 

He probably wanted Hopkins out of the AFC 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

this is just another false narrative of yours. Sigh. Not only are you 100% wrong, you are not even amusing at it.

Please, he'd rather have signed a lineman who's name he knows, with a huge contract and bonus, that basically bring in a new OL.  3 nice pick ups over one.  Im ok with the players we signed to the OL over a Conklin type signing.  There wasn't a lineman available who was a have to have type player.  

I've asked him numerous times who he wanted and the signings would have been.  Crickets

Thats neglect 

8 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Also the folks writing off Denzel Mims from contributing this season are off their rocker

Pretty much no one is writing off Mims.

Pretty much anyone who claims to know how long he'll be out is off their rocker though 

6 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Also the folks writing off Denzel Mims from contributing this season are off their rocker. By all accounts it’s a slight hamstring and he should be back in a week or two. This is very similar to all the idiots on WFAN hooting and hollering about Aaron Judge.

New York Jet fans narrative: Build through te draft, stop buying all of these expensive toys that are stealing our money.

Joe Douglas: Signs 1 slightly expensive guy (Fant), adds solid pcs at Center & Guard, drafts a beastly LT and brings in an UDFA for the Oline. Buys a 1 year rental on a WR that might finally be coming into his own on a fair contact. Drafts a WR in Mims, and brings in a few WRs as UDFAs in a loaded WR class. Drafts a young RB in Perine.

Jet Fans: Why aren't we spending our 30 million left on cap on free agents? 

Rinse & repeat.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

New York Jet fans narrative: Build through te draft, stop buying all of these expensive toys that are stealing our money.

Joe Douglas: Signs 1 slightly expensive guy (Fant), adds solid pcs at Center & Guard, drafts a beastly LT and brings in an UDFA for the Oline. Buys a 1 year rental on a WR that might finally be coming into his own on a fair contact. Drafts a WR in Mims, and brings in a few WRs as UDFAs in a loaded WR class. Drafts a young RB in Perine.

Jet Fans: Why aren't we spending our 30 million left on cap on free agents? 

Rinse & repeat.

Don’t forget.......” love that JD played OL in college. Finally have a GM that will value and build up the position.” Brings in 2, maybe 3 starters in FA, drafts LT of the future, plus probably another starter in Clarke, but didn’t draft the 4th best WR on a non passing college team, so he is neglecting Sam.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Agreed. 6'3" with a 4.38 40 x. 

Catches away from his body unlike so many Jets draft picks (Hill, Thomas) and gets two feet in at the collegiate level.  And to it he was snubbed hard during the draft. Jalen Reagor?? Before Mims? WTF is going on?   Big old fashioned chip on the shoulder. 

That kid has every chance to be a complete stud. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, SR24 said:

I think the teams higher on Vincent Smith than we all are. I also don’t see why adding a guy like Demaryus Thomas is a bad idea either though he was somewhat productive and was well liked 

I completely agree With this. I feel strongly that they believe V Smith, and J Smith for that matter, are much better than the rest of the world. I am higher on V Smith personally and believe he is the next Robbie type of UDFA success story. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I completely agree With this. I feel strongly that they believe V Smith, and J Smith for that matter, are much better than the rest of the world. I am higher on V Smith personally and believe he is the next Robbie type of UDFA success story. 

Agreed, V.Smith knows the offense, very young, very fast, and they won't be asking him to be a 1 or a 2, Crowders in the slot, they're asking Smith to be a 3/4 WR. That means instead of having your #1 WR (Last year RA) be the guy to to clear out space to work underneath, you will have your 3/4 guy do it. 

And with the addition of Perriman & Mims, plus the return of Herndon, you've got 3 guys now with size & strength and all 3 have worked on the edges, seams, slants ect. Areas that Robbie never broke one tackle. Using V.Smith in the RA clear out role, similar to what John Brown does opens up everything for our other WRs + our TEs in underneath routes & dont forget about Bell 10/15 Lbs lighter working the flats. This is much more than what we had last year with RA as the #1. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets are not all in on 2020.

We just had the new GM's first draft, and his plan is to build the team thru the draft. He took a WR in the second round. He brought in a couple UDFAs at the position, too. They seemed to like Robby some, but Robby seemed to prefer reuniting with his college college coach over resigning with the Jets, and I think the deal he signed for was more than Joe D wanted to pay, anyway. Breshad Perriman is a very reasonable replacement for Robby Anderson, and the impression is that they're high on Vyncint Smith as the next Robby up. 

Could he have done more at the position? Sure. I would've liked another WR in this draft. Problem is that the Jets OL and secondary were also left in decrepit condition, too. So he took a couple OL and DBs, too. In free agency, he back-filled all of those areas, raising the floor significantly everywhere with a couple swings at greatness in Becton and Mims. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

His plan was outstanding for a normal year. A lot of young guys in here to compete, let's see who rises to the top. The virus ****ed that **** up. I'm sure he fully intended to scour the waiver wire at WR and more -and maybe he still will- but without a preseason, all they have to go on is their previous scouting of these guys. It's not a normal year. 

He put some building blocks in place. Focused on the OL because if Sam has two seconds to throw he can hit his target. Crowder, Herndon, Griffin, and Bell give him plenty of options, too. This year is about taking a step in the right direction for the first time in years, and building on it from there. If just Becton and Mims hit, he's got a foundation heading into next year's draft. Jets are in position to be a major player in free agency next year when most of the league will be cutting costs and players to get under a virus infected cap. 

This always was a building block year. Most so-called experts have the Jets in the cellar or near there. Both Jack Conklin and Amari Cooper signing here wouldn't've altered that narrative much at all, it just would've put the Jets in a precarious cap situation moving forward. Joe D is building this right. It's not the Tanny way or the Mac way; spending big in FA and drafting the consensus top DT or safety. The Jets just used their first two picks on offense for the first time since Mike Tannenbaum used all three(!) of his picks in 2009 on offense.

Relax. It's a work in progress. 

Well put. To me, this proves that the Jets are "all in" for 2020. Being "all in" means making the team better than it was last year. They are deeper, younger, faster and way more athletic. In a word, better.

means making the team better.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Agreed, V.Smith knows the offense, very young, very fast, and they won't be asking him to be a 1 or a 2, Crowders in the slot, they're asking Smith to be a 3/4 WR. That means instead of having your #1 WR (Last year RA) be the guy to to clear out space to work underneath, you will have your 3/4 guy do it. 

And with the addition of Perriman & Mims, plus the return of Herndon, you've got 3 guys now with size & strength and all 3 have worked on the edges, seams, slants ect. Areas that Robbie never broke one tackle. Using V.Smith in the RA clear out role, similar to what John Brown does opens up everything for our other WRs + our TEs in underneath routes & dont forget about Bell 10/15 Lbs lighter working the flats. This is much more than what we had last year with RA as the #1. 

Agreed.  Robbie would have been nice to keep but I think the Jets see it just as you pointed out. 

Speed creates pressure. Pressure bursts pipes. 

Our overall team speed at the WR position is lightyears from where it has been. Mims, Perriman(faster than RA) V Smith and J Smith are all legit fast. Crowder is the speedy shifty type in the slot.  Speed all over the place to match with the OL giving our QB actual NFL level protection and time.

There is a chance that it all goes south and while I still would have grabbed another WR in the draft, I'm actually pretty high on our WR corp. 

28 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed. 6'3" with a 4.38 40 x. 

Catches away from his body unlike so many Jets draft picks (Hill, Thomas) and gets two feet in at the collegiate level.  And to it he was snubbed hard during the draft. Jalen Reagor?? Before Mims? WTF is going on?   Big old fashioned chip on the shoulder. 

That kid has every chance to be a complete stud. 

He looks & plays like Michael Thomas, let's pray he's 80% of that. I just don't know what it is about Mims, it's like he's the antithesis of Stephen Hill. 

He got passed on by a lot of teams like you said that drafted WRs ahead of him. He's got that Steve Smith chip, except he's like 6" taller! If he can stay healthy, he's Sams Juju by the end of the season. That is until we nab Juju & the Juju, Mims + Justyn Ross show emerges in 2021 when JD shocks every Jet fan & drafts Ross with his 1st #1 pick. 2nd #1 after Russell Wilson tweaks his hammy & Seattle ends the season 6-10, Ettienne. 

Bell & Gore are gone, Young Studs Ettienne & Perine take over, Jets go on a Jimmy Johnson Dallas run with one of the best offenses in the league. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Jets just signed Chris Hogan, remember him? Not surprised they signed a vet.  Surprised it wasn't D. Thomas.

Hogan as 5/6? Good choice. Slow as sh*t but disciplined route runner, 4th, 5th option. Solid depth. 

Or maybe just camp fodder to fill Mims practice shoes for 2 weeks? 

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed.  Robbie would have been nice to keep but I think the Jets see it just as you pointed out. 

Speed creates pressure. Pressure bursts pipes. 

Our overall team speed at the WR position is lightyears from where it has been. Mims, Perriman(faster than RA) V Smith and J Smith are all legit fast. Crowder is the speedy shifty type in the slot.  Speed all over the place to match with the OL giving our QB actual NFL level protection and time.

There is a chance that it all goes south and while I still would have grabbed another WR in the draft, I'm actually pretty high on our WR corp. 

Crowder isnt speedy. Shift yes. Runs away from people? Havent seen that.

Perriman is a gamble. But I myself saw last year and even suggested as the #3 he could be suitable as we draft our #1 and have Chowda in the slot. 

We'll see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barton said:

The Jets WR corps is questionable at best. 

Why, because we drafted a WR at #2? You have 2 choices, you either draft them & develop, or sign them in free agency. If you go the draft & develop route ala (Steelers), you have to have patience & hope you made the right choices. Now if Mims turns out to be a stud & one of those UDFAs like Cager also develops your in the drivers seat next year where the free agent market might be the Beerbohm in years to fill out your roster. 

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Crowder isnt speedy. Shift yes. Runs away from people? Havent seen that.

Perriman is a gamble. But I myself saw last year and even suggested as the #3 he could be suitable as we draft our #1 and have Chowda in the slot. 

We'll see.

Give Sam time, he'll find them all. Herndon staying healthy is imperative. Bills had no answer for him in 2018 & wont in 2020 either. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

really? 4 FA and 2 draft picks? One being the 11th overall pick?  I find that hard to call bare min man.  Come on Fidelio! 

And McGovern is an absolute stud muffin

poor guy has lost his marbles

I'm done casting stones as of now.  The Jets can really do that to you.  What other team can take a rational, sensible, educated person and turn him into that?  Only the Jets.  J-E-T-S

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

While I rarely argue with[mention=5358]bitonti[/mention] I somewhat disagree.

Joe Douglass brought 5, including udfa, new WR’s in this year. 2 were former 1st rd picks, one of which lit up the NFL the last half of 2019. All oFthe WR’s brought In are 6’2” or taller I’ll add.

JD brought in 6 new OL men not including the UDFA Hilbers.

He also brought in 5 new DB’s to add to the Defensive weakness.

We have to give this guy time man. I wanted to see RA Re signed as much as the next guy but it didn’t happen. We have no idea what the real deal was behind the scenes. Don’t forget there were reports that Robbie wanted out and had his bags packed. If that’s the case he was going to need a lot more than the $10 mil per to stay.

This is jd’s first offseason as the boss. Can we take a breath?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Well, sure Greenbean and we'll sit back and see how it all works out.

However, that still doesn't mean we can't talk about what we think he's doing? My own personal opinion is... I think he did almost nothing for the WR's and he took the cheap way out with the OL. All of the OL are short term rentals for guys with very questionable histories. The OL should be improved but I still wouldn't consider them any better than bottom third.

This, on top of trading away the team's best player and our second best player taking the year off. 

All in all, this off-season spells disaster for the Jets in the regular season. They were a horrid team that had very few nice pieces. Now, they are a horrid with even less nice pieces. They're a 4-12 or 5-11 special this year and JD has his name all over it.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, sure Greenbean and we'll sit back and see how it all works out.

However, that still doesn't mean we can't talk about what we think he's doing? My own personal opinion is... I think he did almost nothing for the WR's and he took the cheap way out with the OL. All of the OL are short term rentals for guys with very questionable histories. The OL should be improved but I still wouldn't consider them any better than bottom third.

This, on top of trading away the team's best player and our second best player taking the year off. 

All in all, this off-season spells disaster for the Jets in the regular season. They were a horrid team that had very few nice pieces. Now, they are a horrid with even less nice pieces. They're a 4-12 or 5-11 special this year and JD has his name all over it.

which overpriced, over-the-hill washed up pro would you have overpaid for the line?

• Upvote 2

I am a big pj walker fan

But unfortunately I still root for this terrible franchise

I just do it differently from you

I keep my eyes open

Bit is all in on Carolina this year.  They got a proven NFL HC and Robbie Anderson.  He's backup position is Seattle.  The guy had a made crush on Mac who planted a garden full of weeds.  

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app