Jets WRs/Cap - Bitoni Is Spot On

JetsLife

Conspiracy theory: They’re keeping the rookie WRs (Mims, Cager, Campbell) out of the rotation early on because they’re going to run the wrong way and screw up Darnold early on. With basically twelve practices to get ready for games, Gase is going to work the kids in slowly so as not to screw up Sam.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Please, he'd rather have signed a lineman who's name he knows, with a huge contract and bonus, that basically bring in a new OL.  3 nice pick ups over one.  Im ok with the players we signed to the OL over a Conklin type signing.  There wasn't a lineman available who was a have to have type player.  

I've asked him numerous times who he wanted and the signings would have been.  Crickets

Thats neglect 

Some people don't seem to think internal development is a thing. You can tell them the OL and WR market was horribly weak this year (it was) and that we grabbed some decent players (we did). It doesn't seem to make a difference to some people on this board they'd overpay anyone at the top of the yearly market it and call it a win.

When your team is legitimately atrocious (which we are) you don't band aid it with high priced  mediocre FAs before actually building a base. If you do that then you just end up where we've been over and over again.

When Mono hit last year I took it in stride and laughed through the nightmare season, sporting a Jets hat through the whole thing. If fans of other teams want to talk sh-- about the Jets being bad I don't fight them on the merit of the Jets winning ways, I just congratulate them on being a petty idiot who inaccurately thinks I root for the Jets because I believe they are a good football team.

I root for the Jets because I am a loyal member of this cult win, lose, or draw. I expect nothing year in and year out and I generally get less than that.

We root for a historically bad football team. It would help some of you if you would learn to accept that instead of struggling f---ing your way through each football season. It will change when it changes ..... If it changes.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Some people don't seem to think internal development is a thing. You can tell them the OL and WR market was horribly weak this year (it was) and that we grabbed some decent players (we did). It doesn't seem to make a difference to some people on this board they'd overpay anyone at the top of the yearly market it and call it a win.

When your team is legitimately atrocious (which we are) you don't band aid it with high priced  mediocre FAs before actually building a base. If you do that then you just end up where we've been over and over again.

When Mono hit last year I took it in stride and laughed through the nightmare season, sporting a Jets hat through the whole thing. If fans of other teams want to talk sh-- about the Jets being bad I don't fight them on the merit of the Jets winning ways, I just congratulate them on being a petty idiot who inaccurately thinks I root for the Jets because I believe they are a good football team.

I root for the Jets because I am a loyal member of this cult win, lose, or draw. I expect nothing year in and year out and I generally get less than that.

We root for a historically bad football team. It would help some of you if you would learn to accept that instead of struggling f---ing your way through each football season. It will change when it changes ..... If it changes.

I've been a cult member since about 1965.  Mostly fervent through the various calamities, debacles, and flat out ineptitude.  Last few years, my passion for the team has decreased somewhat.  I still root for them and watch all the games.  But no longer buy any of the gear or lose sleep over loses.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i find it interesting that RA had a better year w/ mclown than his 2 with sam.

a solid nfl 2/3 from an udfa is decent. he did his job. we got good value from that udfa selection,.

Yes, he put up better numbers with a competent FA than he did with a inexperienced 21 1st year old rookie and a 2nd 22 year old 2nd year player.  Who missed time both seasons, missing 8 or 9 games.

Not really indicative of anything more than the obvious

Sure, it's true Douglas wasn't going to 'fix' the roster in one year.  However, I thought virtually everyone agreed his job was to give Darnold the weapons he needs to succeed.  If we lose any of the top receivers (i.e., Crowder, Perriman) Sam may still be running for his life even if the OL gels in a ridiculously short amount of time.

If the OL doesn't gel quickly AND the receivers can't get open we are in for a very long year, wondering if Darnold is THE guy and clamoring for Gase's head.  If I were Douglas I'd be willing to give up a second or third rounder for Juju or Allen Robinson very soon.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Why, because we drafted a WR at #2? You have 2 choices, you either draft them & develop, or sign them in free agency. If you go the draft & develop route ala (Steelers), you have to have patience & hope you made the right choices. Now if Mims turns out to be a stud & one of those UDFAs like Cager also develops your in the drivers seat next year where the free agent market might be the Beerbohm in years to fill out your roster. 

So we are gonna hope a 2nd rd pick at WR and a UDFA fill out the WR corps for Sam Darnold, going into year 3. Do you not see how ridiculous that is?

This team needs a PROVEN VETERAN WR on the outside. Right now Darnold has nobody proven to throw the ball to besides Crowder. This WR corps is the worst in the league. Only the Jets could draft a fine prospect like Darnold and surround him with this kind of talent and coaching his first 3 years. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

When did homerism become so rampant here? Douglas is doing an overall solid job; the receivers group is horrible. Douglas didn’t do enough to put receiving talent around Darnold. Signing Robbie, making a trade, and/or drafting more receivers were all options. 

Trading away draft capital for a WR entering a loaded WR draft class would not have been prudent.  I'd rather have Mims than a guy another team doesn't want.  

Not using a second pick on a WR in that same draft class is certainly a legit complaint.  As is, perhaps, not bringing back Anderson AND signing Perriman.  

But the argument that Douglas should have traded away draft capital from his first class when his plan is 100 % centered on building through the draft?  Nah.  That would have made little sense.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

When did homerism become so rampant here? Douglas is doing an overall solid job; the receivers group is horrible. Douglas didn’t do enough to put receiving talent around Darnold. Signing Robbie, making a trade, and/or drafting more receivers were all options. 

This is what happens when you go 19 years without using a first round pick on a wr

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, sure Greenbean and we'll sit back and see how it all works out.

However, that still doesn't mean we can't talk about what we think he's doing? My own personal opinion is... I think he did almost nothing for the WR's and he took the cheap way out with the OL. All of the OL are short term rentals for guys with very questionable histories. The OL should be improved but I still wouldn't consider them any better than bottom third.

This, on top of trading away the team's best player and our second best player taking the year off. 

All in all, this off-season spells disaster for the Jets in the regular season. They were a horrid team that had very few nice pieces. Now, they are a horrid with even less nice pieces. They're a 4-12 or 5-11 special this year and JD has his name all over it.

Ya know, I really is interesting how differently people can see the same thing.  I do get what youre saying of course, but I don't agree. I have said any times that I would prefer to keep Robbie and Adams, but don't see either as irreplaceable. Adams is a fun one to discuss Because it's really hard to write down the details of where he made an impact. Most if his stats came from. two games against two horrible teams with Rookie QB's. When we played good teams he was very quiet. Sure he had a nice play here or there but very little game changing. I think two 1sts and a 3rd while attaining a top 10 coverage DB in the league is robbery. So I would chalk that down as JD hitting it out of the park. 

But I get while someone see's it differently. 

When it all boils down my real thought is just that JD literally just had his first offseason and brought in more OL, WR's and DB's than in any season prior other than the FA frenzy in Macc's first year.  Revis, Gikchrist, Skrine, Cro etc. 

I think he's doing a bang up job all while setting us up perfectly to be one of the teams who can be a predator when the salary cap drops to $175 mil. 

15 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Crowder isnt speedy. Shift yes. Runs away from people? Havent seen that.

Perriman is a gamble. But I myself saw last year and even suggested as the #3 he could be suitable as we draft our #1 and have Chowda in the slot. 

We'll see.

I would use the word fast for that. 

Speedy in the sense  of losing his man from the slot to get open for the quick route. Those guys are a necessity and Crowder excels there. I think Perriman has the legit potential to be a good #1 WR. I know I'm a hopeful fella, but that's what I see happening. when Mims settles in he will be one of the best WR's in the league. I thought that before the draft when I didn't think we had a chance to grab him and I think it now that he[s here. 

These friggin injuries are not good though. 

15 hours ago, Jetster said:

He looks & plays like Michael Thomas, let's pray he's 80% of that. I just don't know what it is about Mims, it's like he's the antithesis of Stephen Hill. 

He got passed on by a lot of teams like you said that drafted WRs ahead of him. He's got that Steve Smith chip, except he's like 6" taller! If he can stay healthy, he's Sams Juju by the end of the season. That is until we nab Juju & the Juju, Mims + Justyn Ross show emerges in 2021 when JD shocks every Jet fan & drafts Ross with his 1st #1 pick. 2nd #1 after Russell Wilson tweaks his hammy & Seattle ends the season 6-10, Ettienne. 

Bell & Gore are gone, Young Studs Ettienne & Perine take over, Jets go on a Jimmy Johnson Dallas run with one of the best offenses in the league. 

ahhhhh Now this is exactly how I see it.  Even up to the surprising Seattle collapse. I just think JD is taking it slow while protecting Sam as the priority. 

I canunderstand people wanting Conklin or whatever, but the truth is he got very good players who are clean, smart, rarely penalized and don't give up sacks. Fant is the question mark, but adding Becton and Clark to the group is the beginning of the young pipeline to phase out the older dudes. I do think he could and should have grabbed another WR over a QB or S in this draft but it's not like he ignored the position. 

JD is absolutely going to take a big fat swing at completely revamping the team with premium young talent and stalwart type vets with a team first mentality. I'm not ok with the entire offseason but I sure as hell like it. And like you I think the next two drafts are going to be epic en route to the Jets dynasty. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

JetNation continues to confuse New for Good.  

Naaah. Not this time. McGovern is the best C we've had since Mangold hands down.  Think about it. We have depth on this roster that is equaL to or better than last year's starting group. That's a huge upgrade in the exact place we needed it most. 

I'll give ya Fant but even still we have Edoga waiting in the wings. He played well on the right side before being thrown to the wolves at LT. We're not in and shape. 

On 8/15/2020 at 9:34 PM, JetsLife said:

There is no defending the dearth of WR talent in the WR room. 

Joe D speaks of doing all he can to support Sam - then he presents him with one of the worst WR corps in the league? What happens when one of the top 2 go out? Pats cast off Braxton Berrios rides in to the rescue?

It’s Maccagnan-esque.  

And why are the Jets so very far under the cap? If we’re all in on 2020 why couldn’t we afford Robby and the rest of our WR corps?

If Joe D’s honest answer is we’re not all in on 2020 - that raises a red flag is he will never prove to be the man for this job. It shows a fatal conservatism streak. Hopefully then he has other grander reasons. 

“If they don’t bite when they’re puppies, they’re never gonna bite.” - Parcells

i'm not sure where this is coming from.  sure they could've re-signed robbie but robbie chose to move on.  i seriously doubt the jets didn't make him a decent offer.  i also don't think he got that much more from carolina.  as for the core in general, they brought in perriman and drafted mims.  both of these guys have some talent.  maybe perriman hasn't performed to his draft pick placement but he has still contributed when he has played.  and he did pretty well over the last half with tampa.  mims?  he's a rookie so it's not like he will be a world beater right off.  and the rest of the wr's will be made up of hogan/smith/berrios, etc.  and then add herndon, griffen, bell to the mix and there are plenty of decent targets for darnold to throw the ball to.

the bottom line is the receivers have improved over last season.

15 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I would use the word fast for that. 

Speedy in the sense  of losing his man from the slot to get open for the quick route. Those guys are a necessity and Crowder excels there. I think Perriman has the legit potential to be a good #1 WR. I know I'm a hopeful fella, but that's what I see happening. when Mims settles in he will be one of the best WR's in the league. I thought that before the draft when I didn't think we had a chance to grab him and I think it now that he[s here. 

These friggin injuries are not good though. 

Hmm, i know we're splitting hairs... cos we're tryna describe the same thing...   Crowder is ...  QUICK...  is that accurate? 

Perriman as potential #1 is not hopeful, it's magical thinking... a guy w/ a career catch % lower than Robby's?

That's HIGHLY improbable.   possible? I guess so, but what would I but that probability as a %? I dunno. Quite low. 

Am high in Mims too. I think we both kinda gravitated toward him around the same time pre-draft....

• Upvote 1

Ok so we have Perriman, Crowder. and newly signed Hogan.   Jeff smith seems to be making an impression early, Mims is a precaution move with keeping him sidelined big upside talent.  So cager, campbell are works in process and never know what happen down the road..  So we also have Herndon if he stays healthy is a weapon,  Griffen can make catches.   We got some weapons.  Why the sudden panic?   I believe JD has made some great moves and seems to be pointing this team in the right direction.

We have way too many eggs in the Perriman basket right now. There's potential he's a true #1 but the likelihood of him suddenly being the man here is in reality, pretty low. Rookie WR's typically don't produce a whole lot and Mims is already dealing w/soft tissue injuries.

I don't know why we always have to have the shoddiest looking WR corps in the league. It's disappointing.

Maybe we get lucky and Perriman is the guy this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We have way too many eggs in the Perriman basket right now. There's potential he's a true #1 but the likelihood of him suddenly being the man here is in reality, pretty low. Rookie WR's typically don't produce a whole lot and Mims is already dealing w/soft tissue injuries.

I don't know why we always have to have the shoddiest looking WR corps in the league. It's disappointing.

Maybe we get lucky and Perriman is the guy this year.

I feel your pain.

I'm hoping Perriman can be our Terrance Mathis, a guy who got it late but big time. He did have an impressive last four games last year, and he will be fed the football similarly in this offense - especially if Mims is out for a while. But if healthy, Mims has #1 type WR potential. 

As for the group, it's good to hear good things about Jeff Smith. Everyone (me included) was hoping to hear that Cager was showcasing, but if it's Jeff Smith, good for him. He played QB all the way into college, so he's smart, knows what QBs want from a receiver, and has great hands. Jets need someone to step up. Also don't think they're done, especially with Vyncint out up to two months. Either a waiver pickup, or a low level trade. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/15/2020 at 6:54 PM, GREENBEAN said:

While I rarely argue with[mention=5358]bitonti[/mention] I somewhat disagree.

Joe Douglass brought 5, including udfa, new WR’s in this year. 2 were former 1st rd picks, one of which lit up the NFL the last half of 2019. All oFthe WR’s brought In are 6’2” or taller I’ll add.

JD brought in 6 new OL men not including the UDFA Hilbers.

He also brought in 5 new DB’s to add to the Defensive weakness.

We have to give this guy time man. I wanted to see RA Re signed as much as the next guy but it didn’t happen. We have no idea what the real deal was behind the scenes. Don’t forget there were reports that Robbie wanted out and had his bags packed. If that’s the case he was going to need a lot more than the $10 mil per to stay.

This is jd’s first offseason as the boss. Can we take a breath?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Green, totally agree. For many here unless a WR has a big name and costs a lot in FA he can't be any good

• Upvote 1

I feel your pain.

I'm hoping Perriman can be our Terrance Mathis, a guy who got it late but big time. He did have an impressive last four games last year, and he will be fed the football similarly in this offense - especially if Mims is out for a while. But if healthy, Mims has #1 type WR potential. 

As for the group, it's good to hear good things about Jeff Smith. Everyone (me included) was hoping to hear that Cager was showcasing, but if it's Jeff Smith, good for him. He played QB all the way into college, so he's smart, knows what QBs want from a receiver, and has great hands. Jets need someone to step up. Also don't think they're done, especially with Vyncint out up to two months. Either a waiver pickup, or a low level trade. 

As long as Vyncint Smith is back for the playoffs we'll be fine .

Sent from my SM-G975U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

the fact that vyncynt smythyth getting hurt is a blow to our receiving corps says a lot.

Says more about the fans who think it is and are in full panic mode, looking to trade 1st round picks or even to sign AB with his 8 game suspension and clown show .

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It’s not, it’s just being packaged that way by the beat, because our fans are ninnies

Vyncint Smith was pretty much inked in as the #4 WR on the team, the least questionable of a number of question marks at the position from there. With Mims currently sidelined, Jeff Smith is getting first team reps, a player with one career catch on his resume. 

So no, the Jets didn't lose Jerry Rice here, but they did lose a guy they were probably expecting 35-40 catches from. Someone who was going to see the field a lot. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Vyncint Smith was pretty much inked in as the #4 WR on the team, the least questionable of a number of question marks at the position from there. With Mims currently sidelined, Jeff Smith is getting first team reps, a player with one career catch on his resume. 

So no, the Jets didn't lose Jerry Rice here, but they did lose a guy they were probably expecting 35-40 catches from. Someone who was going to see the field a lot. 

35-40 catches is replaceable. Easily. 

• Upvote 1

I, for one, am missing the annual offseason articles talking about how Robby Anderson needs to work on getting stronger and more physical, only to find out that Robby showed up to camp again weighing 176 pounds after spending another summer surviving on sativa and Frito’s and never touching a weight. 

• Haha 2