JetsLife

Jets WRs/Cap - Bitoni Is Spot On

On 8/16/2020 at 8:15 AM, Lurker89 said:

Some people don't seem to think internal development is a thing. You can tell them the OL and WR market was horribly weak this year (it was) and that we grabbed some decent players (we did). It doesn't seem to make a difference to some people on this board they'd overpay anyone at the top of the yearly market it and call it a win.

When your team is legitimately atrocious (which we are) you don't band aid it with high priced  mediocre FAs before actually building a base. If you do that then you just end up where we've been over and over again.

When Mono hit last year I took it in stride and laughed through the nightmare season, sporting a Jets hat through the whole thing. If fans of other teams want to talk sh-- about the Jets being bad I don't fight them on the merit of the Jets winning ways, I just congratulate them on being a petty idiot who inaccurately thinks I root for the Jets because I believe they are a good football team.

I root for the Jets because I am a loyal member of this cult win, lose, or draw. I expect nothing year in and year out and I generally get less than that.

We root for a historically bad football team. It would help some of you if you would learn to accept that instead of struggling f---ing your way through each football season. It will change when it changes ..... If it changes.

Agree a zillion percent with first paragraph, so many people only want names they recognize. Don't agree that we are atrocious. Nothing really points to that. We don't seem to be elite either but we were not atrocious last year, crippled by injuries and we made significant upgrades in offseason. And AFC East is definitely weaker than last year.

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Robby Anderson, Panthers 

Certainly should hand this person tens of millions of dollars

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Robby Anderson, Panthers 

It’s no wonder he wanted a big contract it would take a small fortune to fix that hairdo

• Haha 2

On 8/17/2020 at 3:02 PM, Losmeister said:

Hmm, i know we're splitting hairs... cos we're tryna describe the same thing...   Crowder is ...  QUICK...  is that accurate? 

Perriman as potential #1 is not hopeful, it's magical thinking... a guy w/ a career catch % lower than Robby's?

That's HIGHLY improbable.   possible? I guess so, but what would I but that probability as a %? I dunno. Quite low. 

Am high in Mims too. I think we both kinda gravitated toward him around the same time pre-draft....

Quick it is. :) 

Perriman had a much better year than he's given credit for.  Magical thinking maybe, but it's gonna happen. He and Sam are gonna light up the league as long as the OL can gel. That's all it's gonna take. Perriman is a stud who needed time to overcome some stuff including an injury. 

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

He and Sam are gonna light up the league as long as the OL can gel. That's all it's gonna take. Perriman is a stud who needed time

optimism is good...    but i am more skeptical...:pimp:

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Certainly should hand this person tens of millions of dollars

We would be a better team if we did.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We would be a better team if we did.

Team was 16-32 with a bottom-ten offense since Anderson has been a starter

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Team was 16-32 with a bottom-ten offense since Anderson has been a starter

That is such flawed logic, you know that and you are smarter than that.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That is such flawed logic, you know that and you are smarter than that.

Alright let’s try this. He’s a guy who averaged less than four catches per game, who caught 54% of the passes thrown at him, averages six TDs a season as a starter, and has never put up a 1,000 yard season. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Alright let’s try this. He’s a guy who averaged less than four catches per game, who caught 54% of the passes thrown at him, averages six TDs a season as a starter, and has never put up a 1,000 yard season. 

And we replaced him with a guy that averaged less than 3 TD's a season, less than 2 catches per game and an average of less than 400 per season.  Basically half of Robby's production.

Hence - we would be a better team with him - which is all I said.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how much Doctson factored into JD's thinking regarding the WR corps going into camp?

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

I wonder how much Doctson factored into JD's thinking regarding the WR corps going into camp?

My hope is that he didn’t really factor him in all that much, how could he have?  He was nothing more than a cheap flyer.  Doctson opting out for the free cash pretty much tells you even he thought he wouldn’t make the roster.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

My hope is that he didn’t really factor him in all that much, how could he have?  He was nothing more than a cheap flyer.  Doctson opting out for the free cash pretty much tells you even he thought he wouldn’t make the roster.  

Good points but I'm sure JD was hoping he could end up being our 4th or 5th WR.

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Good points but I'm sure JD was hoping he could end up being our 4th or 5th WR.

Maybe, if all things broke well for Doctson.  If he was in camp right now I’m sure he would be getting some reps due to the injuries.  

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

again i think douglas thought that mims + perriman was clearly better than just anderson, and also, presumably getting herndon back healthy would balance out the offense.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

this is all technically true you don't want to apply the same treatment to Perriman's stats

BP's caught less than half of the passes thrown at him, 6 TD was his high mark and never had over 650 yards in a season 

Robby is better by every possible statistical measure 

it's funny how everyone is like a stat wizard when it comes to proving the Jets shouldn't have paid a player.  

i'd like to see the stats that show Darnold will be great or Gase has a brain in his head 

21 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Don't agree that we are atrocious. Nothing really points to that.  

Malcolm In The Middle Reaction GIF

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is all technically true you don't want to apply the same treatment to Perriman's stats

BP's caught less than half of the passes thrown at him, 6 TD was his high mark and never had over 650 yards in a season 

Robby is better by every possible statistical measure 

it's funny how everyone is like a stat wizard when it comes to proving the Jets shouldn't have paid a player.  

i'd like to see the stats that show Darnold will be great or Gase has a brain in his head 

Malcolm In The Middle Reaction GIF

I don’t think they replaced Robby with Perriman. They replaced Robby with Mims. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He's a volume receiver. Lol

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think they replaced Robby with Perriman. They replaced Robby with Mims. 

Robby Anderson, Breshad Perriman and Denzel Mims all play the "X" Wide Receiver position in the NFL 

the relevant question is how many X's does a team need to get through a season 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Robby Anderson, Breshad Perriman and Denzel Mims all play the "X" Wide Receiver position in the NFL 

the relevant question is how many X's does a team need to get through a season 

XXX

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

again i think douglas thought that mims + perriman was clearly better than just anderson, and also, presumably getting herndon back healthy would balance out the offense.  

Douglas got feedback from Gase that Vyncint Smith was starting to develop into a player.  Then the injuries happened

sign Brown

Just now, Philc1 said:

sign Brown

this is going to sound insane but if JD made Chris Hogan run and he still has that same 4.5 speed he did (big if)

i'm curious to see what he can do 

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

this is going to sound insane but if JD made Chris Hogan run and he still has that same 4.5 speed he did (big if)

i'm curious to see what he can do 

Hogan is trash

On 8/16/2020 at 10:42 AM, bitonti said:

To be clear I don't blame jd for the owners being cheap. In fact jd is the first investment they've put into the team since the Mike westoff Era. This problem of the team being 30 mil under the cap in 2020 and 75 million under in 2021 is much bigger than jd.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

How many games do you attend a year?

JD is going to build this team primarily through the draft.   And top off the roster with FA-trades at reasonable costs...for experienced players at positional needs.  I think in most cases, JD would only go all out after a premium type of player via FA-trade...if and when ...the Jets need that player to catapult the team from playoff contender into landing them in the Supe.   

To get to that point of Jets becoming a perennial playoff contender...JD will focus on the draft.  And expect his HC-CS to develop those players as starters...future starters...or significant role players/depth pieces.

IMO that's JD's plan.  That's why the demand for a six year contract.  To clear up the mess of a dysfunctional roster....when GM NYJ was in the hands of wannabe's like Idzik and Mac.

If JD's drafts are as good as this last one.  Then he's going to get the Jets to be a consistent playoff team within these next two years draft process.  He has 11 picks for next year's draft to play with.  And four 1st rounders in these next two upcoming drafts.    

For me...JD is the best GM NYJ in ages.  With a legit vision and plan that none of his recent predecessors seemed to possess.   A plan for long term domination of the wide open AFCE...with Darnold leading the way.  JD has Supe rings from apprenticing under Ozzie Newsome and his time with the Eagles.  A good sign that indicates he knows what he's doing.  Knows how to do it.  

Again...these next two drafts are crucial...and JD's primary method to achieve playoff success.  In JD I trust.  And he's probably the last one I ever will.  

Not as many as I used to
After 10 patriots blowouts I drew the line
At a certain point it's like hanging out in Dantes inferno

That was back when I was hoping they'd win of course.

How many games do you attend a year?

18 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

JD is going to build this team primarily through the draft.   And top off the roster with FA-trades at reasonable costs...for experienced players at positional needs.  I think in most cases, JD would only go all out after a premium type of player via FA-trade...if and when ...the Jets need that player to catapult the team from playoff contender into landing them in the Supe.   

To get to that point of Jets becoming a perennial playoff contender...JD will focus on the draft.  And expect his HC-CS to develop those players as starters...future starters...or significant role players/depth pieces.

IMO that's JD's plan.  That's why the demand for a six year contract.  To clear up the mess of a dysfunctional roster....when GM NYJ was in the hands of wannabe's like Idzik and Mac.

If JD's drafts are as good as this last one.  Then he's going to get the Jets to be a consistent playoff team within these next two years draft process.  He has 11 picks for next year's draft to play with.  And four 1st rounders in these next two upcoming drafts.    

For me...JD is the best GM NYJ in ages.  With a legit vision and plan that none of his recent predecessors seemed to possess.   A plan for long term domination of the wide open AFCE...with Darnold leading the way.  JD has Supe rings from apprenticing under Ozzie Newsome and his time with the Eagles.  A good sign that indicates he knows what he's doing.  Knows how to do it.  

Again...these next two drafts are crucial...and JD's primary method to achieve playoff success.  In JD I trust.  And he's probably the last one I ever will.  

Seems a bit much.  JD already traded for Alex Lewis, Nate Hairston and Demaryius Thomas.  Quincy Wilson and Bradley McDougald.  They added Kalil, Perriman. Van Roten, Fant, McGovern, and Desir as likely starters.  I get that he primarily wants to move through the draft, but he will have to use all roads available.  

I get that you like his moves so far.  I do too, but it is a bit early to crown him.  Tannenbaum- the offfensive line is set for years!, Idzik -look what he got for Revis, and 6 starters! and Maccagnan - Executive of the Year!  all looked good at first.  I like his picks, but they will have to perform before I call it a good draft.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Not as many as I used to
After 10 patriots blowouts I drew the line
At a certain point it's like hanging out in Dantes inferno

That was back when I was hoping they'd win of course.

perhaps they could spend to the cap if you were a bit more loyal to your team.

the johnson's spending as a percentage of cap is highly correlated to how many games you attend a year.  

On 8/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, bitonti said:

Sure but Compared to Jeff Smith and cager tho? The ghost of mims?

They all suck.  Hogan sucks slightly less

On 8/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Seems a bit much.  JD already traded for Alex Lewis, Nate Hairston and Demaryius Thomas.  Quincy Wilson and Bradley McDougald.  They added Kalil, Perriman. Van Roten, Fant, McGovern, and Desir as likely starters.  I get that he primarily wants to move through the draft, but he will have to use all roads available.  

I get that you like his moves so far.  I do too, but it is a bit early to crown him.  Tannenbaum- the offfensive line is set for years!, Idzik -look what he got for Revis, and 6 starters! and Maccagnan - Executive of the Year!  all looked good at first.  I like his picks, but they will have to perform before I call it a good draft.

Incredible how Mangini gets all the credit for anyone we drafted or signed between 2006-2009 but Gase gets zero blame for the Kalil and Vedvik moves that happened immediately after Mac was fired

On 8/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, batman10023 said:

perhaps they could spend to the cap if you were a bit more loyal to your team.

the johnson's spending as a percentage of cap is highly correlated to how many games you attend a year.  

ELL friggin Oh ELL

the Jets Sell out every single year

they are 4th or 5th in attendance 2019 despite being 24th in power rankings 

but still this comment has cut me to the quick, fellow Jets fans 

ill admit it, my current attitude started as a performance art experiment

does my individual faith matter in how the Jets do?

or "Am I the Mush?" 

it turned out to be an eye opener  

Also it helped that I am forced to cover all other 32 teams for footballguys articles

once you stop watching Just Jets football it becomes apparent how there are better run franchises and why our favorite franchise isn't among them 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Incredible how Mangini gets all the credit for anyone we drafted or signed between 2006-2009 but Gase gets zero blame for the Kalil and Vedvik moves that happened immediately after Mac was fired

I don't know about Vedvik, but everything I read about Kalil was all Douglas.  Douglas supposedly reached out to him and convinced him to come out of retirement.  Gase may have been pushing for a C, but I never heard about him pushing for Kalil.  I saw more about the USC connection with Darnold.