Jets Sign Chris Hogan: Bitonti OWNED

T0mShane

17 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

So your beef is with the fans of this team and not the regime?  I haven't seen many JN posts suggesting Fant or GVR are all-pro players just that their different/better than last year's version.  Your posts smack of negativity whether its with the fans or the team.  Why bother posting here?  Strange way for you to build a brand. 

So, me pointing out what the rest of the league knows - that Jets are rebuilding and have one of the worst rosters in the NFL. I can’t be a fan and also be rational and realistic?

IMO, the OL is still not very good - but I also think link JD knows that. He drafted a top prospect in the first for the future and singed Fant hoping to find lightning in bottle (buts it’s much more likely he’s going to be a disaster) If Becton is even a solid starter in the passing game we’ll be okay there   But that’s a huge IF  

He couldn’t mess around with the center position or Sam could get killed. So he brought in a solid, if not top level player in McGovern.  Very good signing  

He drafted Mims for the future but otherwise WR’s have been downgraded. And we don’t know what Mims is yet. 

my negativity reflects the reality of the situation. And I will continue to point out the obvious.  

If you choose to put your head in the sand, so be it,  But I won’t. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

That’s not even remotely what I said or think. 

All I’ve been saying is he’s rebuilding and not making an attempt to win this year. That position, by the way, is pretty much accepted outside of this forum.  
 I think the jury is still out on him. It’s clear he’s capable of dismantling a roster.  

Just not yet sure if he can build one or if he can draft well.  We’ll find out soon

I guess I don't see the dismantling. I think his philosophy in FA is to plug holes and not chase starter solutions at high value spots. I think he did well on the interior line. Fant is a stop gap who has upside if he can put some stuff together. More likely he is just adequate and you look to upgrade on him. Conklin has a significant injury history and it probably kept JD from putting big money behind him. So that leaves two things he controlled letting RA walk and trading JA. For RA I don't think he was super valuable on an absolute scale. I think he was a product of our thin wide receiver corp. JA was a rapidly depreciating asset and I think JD didn't view him as some worth resetting the market over. The rapid depreciation was from Adams losing his mind. So I think he was forced into that and really did an excellent job given his position.

I think a combo of Mims and perriman could produce more than RA and Adam's production can be 80% replace by Williamson and our team of safeties. I just don't see a complete teardown like you do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Half of the content on this site is people saying the team lacks talent and will go 7-9 and the other half is people saying the team lacks talent and will go 5–11.

Agreed, which is why my negative comments are directed toward the over the top people around here.  
I can disagree with a rational fan that understands we’re rebuilding but has hope the team can find a way to sneak into the playoffs.  But understands it’s unlikely. 
but there are handful of people that insist JD did everything he could to win this year.  And the good players he didn’t sign weren’t really good anyway and he was  a genius for passing on them. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, TheMo said:

I guess I don't see the dismantling. I think his philosophy in FA is to plug holes and not chase starter solutions at high value spots. I think he did well on the interior line. Fant is a stop gap who has upside if he can put some stuff together. More likely he is just adequate and you look to upgrade on him. Conklin has a significant injury history and it probably kept JD from putting big money behind him. So that leaves two things he controlled letting RA walk and trading JA. For RA I don't think he was super valuable on an absolute scale. I think he was a product of our thin wide receiver corp. JA was a rapidly depreciating asset and I think JD didn't view him as some worth resetting the market over. The rapid depreciation was from Adams losing his mind. So I think he was forced into that and really did an excellent job given his position.

I think a combo of Mims and perriman could produce more than RA and Adam's production can be 80% replace by Williamson and our team of safeties. I just don't see a complete teardown like you do. 

You're not the first person to have this exact conversation with him. A lot of it comes down to he "liked" the players who were not retained.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jack Conklin? At $20 mil per? Nooooooo thank you

Fidelio subscribes to the Mike Maccagnan theory of "who cares how much money you spend on players, you have to spend the money anyway", and has translated "we're not going to overpay mediocre players anymore" to "Joe Douglas is punting on the season".

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jack Conklin? At $20 mil per? Nooooooo thank you

Yes. Conklin was the right signing. He got about $15mm and we paid Fant $10mm

so for $6mm more, of course you sign him. He’s exactly the type of player you break the bank for. 25 year old, stud Tackle that can truly protect your young franchise QB. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So, me pointing out what the rest of the league knows - that Jets are rebuilding and have one of the worst rosters in the NFL. I can’t be a fan and also be rational and realistic?

IMO, the OL is still not very good - but I also think link JD knows that. He drafted a top prospect in the first for the future and singed Fant hoping to find lightning in bottle (buts it’s much more likely he’s going to be a disaster) If Becton is even a solid starter in the passing game we’ll be okay there   But that’s a huge IF  

He couldn’t mess around with the center position or Sam could get killed. So he brought in a solid, if not top level player in McGovern.  Very good signing  

He drafted Mims for the future but otherwise WR’s have been downgraded. And we don’t know what Mims is yet. 

my negativity reflects the reality of the situation. And I will continue to point out the obvious.  

If you choose to put your head in the sand, so be it,  But I won’t. 

You asserted that JN fans called Fant and GVR All-Pro type players.  I have yet to see those posts.  Please bump them up when you find them. 

The negativity of a decade of losing is obvious to all of us here Captain Obvious.  I don't think most of have our heads in the sand as you suggest.  I'd argue that most of us are realistic and rational in our hope for better days.  You seem to relish in a gloomy, depressed negativity.  Many posts taking the angle in support of a more sensational signing.  I get it.  We've seen the splash of FA signings since the end of Rex's regime with god-awful results.  Personally, I like what Joe D has done and I like his approach.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  His draft record is still TBD but I'm hopeful like many here that we found a GM with the skills to lead us to better days.  

• Upvote 2

So, if Perriman and VanRoten fit in and produce and Douglas extends them in-season, then Douglas’ approach to the offseason will be genius. If Perriman and Van Roten are meh and Douglas doesn’t re-sign them, that’ll be good management, too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

so for $6mm more, of course you sign him. He’s exactly the type of player you break the bank for. 25 year old, stud Tackle that can truly protect your young franchise QB. 

Eh. They tried for him. He’s a right tackle. Paying right tackles is crazy-sauce.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. They tried for him. He’s a right tackle. Paying right tackles is crazy-sauce.

We have no one else to pay! 
In all seriousness, if we had a roster of talented players I would tend to agree. 
We knew we were drafting an LT, lock in Conklin and we now have two bookends for our young QB. 

• Thumb Down 1

15 mill for a right tackle ...nah.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

WINNING is a process. To say JD is not trying to win is absurd. To win, there needs to be a culture and system in place to achieve that goal. That process has started to be implemented. Long term success cannot be achieved with short-term planning.

His plan is to compete, evaluate and keep building on what & who showed potential and promise. Signing Clowney, AB, Conklin etc. prevents the proper evaluation Of talent. Build the structure then add the talent that puts us over the top

I’ve been very clear that he’s not tying to win THIS year. 
and we shouldn’t expect any big signings or trades. Just not gonna happen. 
I do believe he’s attempting to build a winner, obviously  but this is a throw away year   

• Thumb Down 1

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed, which is why my negative comments are directed toward the over the top people around here.  
I can disagree with a rational fan that understands we’re rebuilding but has hope the team can find a way to sneak into the playoffs.  But understands it’s unlikely. 
but there are handful of people that insist JD did everything he could to win this year.  And the good players he didn’t sign weren’t really good anyway and he was  a genius for passing on them. 

Absolutely NOONE thinks that.  This is just you spouting BS.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Meh

Decent vet option as long as we’re not relying on him to be anything more than our #4/insurance. Pretty comparable to re-signing D. Thomas at this stage.

But I’m still hoping that Douglas ends up making a move for someone like Smith-Schuster, Allen Robinson or Gallup.

Why Would the Steelers be willing to part with their best young receiver? Just because we want to trade for number one wide receiver does it mean the other team is going to make that deal.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Why Would the Steelers be willing to part with their best young receiver? Just because we want to trade for number one wide receiver does it mean the other team is going to make that deal.

A few Steelers beat writers have already stated that Pittsburgh re-signing JuJu after this season is highly unlikely.

No team in the league has been better at developing WR talent over the last 20 years. Why potentially give JuJu a $100 million deal when Big Ben is on his way out and they just drafted Chase Claypool in the 2nd round who that staff is bound to make a star out of by next year?

He drafted Mims for the future but otherwise WR’s have been downgraded. And we don’t know what Mims is yet. 

Because of Anderlols? :rolleyes: Holy hell that's a huge reach to find something to be negative about.

Let me be clear, Anderlols is 100% a JAG player, the kind YOU keep bitching we picked up to play other positions.  He is not a big $$ investment player ffs.  If you're going to complain, at least make an effort to be consistent.  Mims alone is, on paper, an upgrade for Anderlols, much less the other talent we've acquired.

but there are handful of people that insist JD did everything he could to win this year.

No, it's YOUR complaint about "winning this year".  You seem to want JD to play the part of Dan Snyder, and throw huge deals at every FA JAG whose name you've  heard of.  That's not how you win, that's how you appease stupid people who just care about names.  That's old school Jets/Redskins foolishness, and I for one am GLAD JD isn't going the try-to-buy-a-championship-every-year-lols route with the Jets.

Lets just be honest here, you're impatient.  You know what JD inherited, and we're a much better roster (on paper) at almost every single position in 2020 than in 2019.  But that isn't enough for you, because we didn't blow the salary cap to go all in on a few other FA's for 2020?  Man, you're more wrong than I could have imagined.  You're exactly the mindset JD should avoid if he wants to build long term success.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

A few Steelers beat writers have already stated that Pittsburgh re-signing JuJu after this season is highly unlikely.

No team in the league has been better at developing WR talent over the last 20 years. Why potentially give JuJu a $100 million deal when Big Ben is on his way out and they just drafted Chase Claypool in the 2nd round who that staff is bound to make a star out of by next year?

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So why not wait for FA and see what Mims is before trading away Draft capital? Maybe Mims shows high upside and we draft another #1 WR next year? Why can’t we be the team that develops talent instead of always spending top $

• Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So why not wait for FA and see what Mims is before trading away Draft capital? Maybe Mims shows high upside and we draft another #1 WR next year? Why can’t we be the team that develops talent instead of always spending top $

There's room on the field for both Mims and Smith-Schuster.  There's no rule against having two WR1s out there.  Especially since Mims will be cheap for the next 4 years.

I'd probably prefer to wait until the trade deadline to make a move like that, but if Douglas made a trade for Smith-Schuster today, I'd have no problem with that either.