Once Again, A Jets Wide Receiver Crisis

LRJets

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sorry, but were folks expecting we were signing some big name WR at this point?  I don't think we're going that route, given whats still left available.

The NY Jets have 2 #1 draft picks in 2021 if a big name WR becomes available JD might be forced to deal. 

I keep hearing AJ Green not so sure he's the answer often injured, younger and healthy hell yes. 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I knew about Mims hammy, just hadn't heard it was worth worry as yet.  I still expect him to start with Perriman and Crowder.

Hadn't heard about V. Smith, could be problematic for him aye, but he's a depth guy IMO, so next depth guy up.  Not worried.

And we signed Hanson.  He seems fill-inable for now.

Being down both VS and Mims leaves the Jets without two of their top three outside guys, and Jeff Smith apparently up next. Not loving it. Don't know how fast they plan to bring along Hogan, and/or if they expect him to make the team. Hopefully this is an opportunity for someone like Cager to make himself known. 

Even before these injuries I never thought the Jets were close to done at the WR position. It's harder without a preseason, but I expect them to sign a cut or make a low level trade for another WR before the season. 

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

I think most folks are hoping that Mims steps up and becomes the #1. 

It could happen. DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, and Terry McLaurin were all second rounders or lower and quickly became their teams’ number one option. I expect Mims to emerge right away.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, PS17 said:

It could happen. DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, and Terry McLaurin were all second rounders or lower and quickly became their teams’ number one option. I expect Mims to emerge right away.

Problem is Mims has a hamstring injury.  That injury hangs around.  Decker had a hamstring in 2014 and couldn’t really do anything that year

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

what on earth makes u think Perriman is a #1-dude is a jaq that has been cut by multiple teams-he sucks-jet fans love to hype of scrub wrs

crowder is avg wr at best

Mims I hope and pray is good and not stephen hill

Jets are hoping the combo of Herndon, Crowder and Perriman is better in the sum than the parts

Herndon is extremely important to our offense this season.  Dude needs to be on the field every game this year every offensive snap unless it’s an obvious running play on first down

Still think we need to offer AB a one year deal

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Problem is Mims has a hamstring injury.  That injury hangs around.  Decker had a hamstring in 2014 and couldn’t really do anything that year

Hamstring injury is a pretty broad term.  I haven't even heard it termed an "injury" or "tear" yet.  Tears can really linger, but when you have a little tightness, you put on a sleeve and sit.  When you first get to running on grass or field turf it is probably as common as not to have some strain and pain in your quads and hamstrings.  You sit now precisely to avoid getting a tear or having something that will linger.

• Upvote 2

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Hamstring injury is a pretty broad term.  I haven't even heard it termed an "injury" or "tear" yet.  Tears can really linger, but when you have a little tightness, you put on a sleeve and sit.  When you first get to running on grass or field turf it is probably as common to have some strain and pain in your quads and hamstrings.  You sit now precisely to avoid getting a tear or having something that will linger.

If it was a tear Mims would be out for the year.  Hamstring pulls are a difficult, tho less severe, injury to get over that takes time 

3 hours ago, PS17 said:

We are two years away from that. 

the problem with the endless rebuild is that rebuilding doesn't actually make sense in a league where player career length lasts 3 seasons or less

the list of teams that have successfully "rebuilt" i.e. stripped it all the way down and built it all the way back is extremely short

most teams that are good stay good and most teams that are crap stay crap 

contenders with a qb (like seattle for example) don't REBUILD when their defense ages out, they RELOAD and try to keep their window open as long as possible

when we get to the end of the year inevitably someone will complain about a "meaningless" win that denies the team Matt Ryan or some other such draft prescription 

the truth is this: there are no meaningless wins - every win is a step toward building a winning culture. Every loss reinforces a losing culture

players have to get used to winning and fans have to get used to expecting it 

this is why I'm so negative about these Jets. Teams don't just "git gud" because they declared it a rebuilding effort. They stunk last year and the year before and they will stink again this year, until they prove to us otherwise

there's no room for "hope" in this equation  

the Jets have been rebuilding since what.. 2011?  that was like a decade ago 

so they keep this 30 mil under the cap open and they have 75 open for next year and 110 open the year after that but noone good ever gets to FA and they dont sign their own players (robby would have been useful right about now) and never really try to win as evidenced by all the cap room and the whole team on 1 year deals 

so they don't reload  - they just Rebuild 

but the Jets are like building a foundation out of a dirt pile while other teams have a 3 story building going and people just expect results 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

Being down both VS and Mims leaves the Jets without two of their top three outside guys, and Jeff Smith apparently up next. Not loving it. Don't know how fast they plan to bring along Hogan, and/or if they expect him to make the team. Hopefully this is an opportunity for someone like Cager to make himself known. 

Even before these injuries I never thought the Jets were close to done at the WR position. It's harder without a preseason, but I expect them to sign a cut or make a low level trade for another WR before the season. 

I'd say we're not "down" Mims unless he tore him hamstring or the injury is alot worse than reported to-date.  An early camp hammy pull isn't an emergency.

VS may be a loss (TBD), but he still would have been outside WR #3, and we have other kids waiting in line for a shot.  I'm not lamenting losing a depth guy like VS (22 career catches, 316 yards, 1 TD), if anything it's an opportunity for another guy to show what he's got, like Cager (as you noted) for example.

I'm willing to bet we don't sign anyone at WR at this point, certainly not a "name".  Our starting 3 are all still in line to start, we have a few younger guys behind them, it is what it is.  Possible (as you say) they snag a camp casualty, but there are no current all-pros in that group.

Sam will simply have to elevate the play of his WR's this year.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd say we're not "down" Mims unless he tore him hamstring or the injury is alot worse than reported to-date.  An early camp hammy pull isn't an emergency.

they called CJ Mosely's injury a "Groin pull" and he ended up missing 15 games

we have to read between the lines with the Jets and it's possible Mims' hamstring will linger.  

it's also fair to assume Mims won't be ready for week 1, hamstring or not 

there's a name for WR rookies who are ready to start right away they are called first round picks

Mims coming from Baylor ran extremely simple routes and while he has all the physical tools he needs to learn how to be a WR Professional and that learning process could take 2 even 3 seasons 

it's not helped by lack of mini camp, preseason games etc. 

Mims should have never been force fed this job. The Jets 2020 draft picks (becton too) are, as a group, under coached elite athlete types. they will learn a ton this year but it won't always be pretty 

while it is fair to expect the dude you got at 11 overall to be a powerhouse from day 1, 

it's not fair to expect the dude you got at 59 overall to come in and save the season at WR 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

It means we’re better off with the 2 future 1st round picks from Seattle then we would’ve been with 1 from Dallas

You don’t know that though. The jury is still out on that. If CeeDee turns into a superstar, that’s going to be a tough pill to swallow for people unless those two picks come back extra impactful.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Based on what exactly? a week without pads?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Sadly that's all weve got for now. Its not like you are not going to make comments about whatever aspect of the team so let the guy say what he wants.

Becton is looking like a keeper, after 1 week of camp. that's fair

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You don’t know that though. The jury is still out on that. If CeeDee turns into a superstar, that’s going to be a tough pill to swallow for people unless those two picks come back extra impactful.

Jets could possible land Ja’Marr Chase next year who would be a stud 

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they called CJ Mosely's injury a "Groin pull" and he ended up missing 15 games

we have to read between the lines with the Jets and it's possible Mims' hamstring will linger.  

it's also fair to assume Mims won't be ready for week 1, hamstring or not 

there's a name for WR rookies who are ready to start right away they are called first round picks

Mims coming from Baylor ran extremely simple routes and while he has all the physical tools he needs to learn how to be a WR Professional and that learning process could take 2 even 3 seasons 

it's not helped by lack of mini camp, preseason games etc. 

Mims should have never been force fed this job. The Jets 2020 draft picks (becton too) are, as a group, under coached elite athlete types. they will learn a ton this year but it won't always be pretty 

while it is fair to expect the dude you got at 11 overall to be a powerhouse from day 1, 

it's not fair to expect the dude you got at 59 overall to come in and save the season at WR 

Just because Mims already tweaked a hammy doesn't make him an on the field bust yet either.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

SEC/BIG 10 vs. Big 12 transition.  It's different.  For sure.  

I wouldnt expect Mims to emrge right away on a limited training camp where he's now even more limited.  I think those are unrealistic expectations.  I'm stoked we have Mims.  He was top 5 want at WR for me but even if all things were normal and he was healthy, I still think he's going to need some time to adjust to the NFL.  They didnt ask him to do a whole lot at Baylor. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

VS may be a loss (TBD), but he still would have been outside WR #3, and we have other kids waiting in line for a shot.  I'm not lamenting losing a depth guy like VS (22 career catches, 316 yards, 1 TD), if anything it's an opportunity for another guy to show what he's got, like Cager (as you noted) for example.

I'm willing to bet we don't sign anyone at WR at this point, certainly not a "name".  Our starting 3 are all still in line to start, we have a few younger guys behind them, it is what it is.  Possible (as you say) they snag a camp casualty, but there are no current all-pros in that group.

Sam will simply have to elevate the play of his WR's this year.

The thing with Vyncint Smith is that there was a lot of talk about the team's belief in him, and how that maybe made it easier for them to take just one WR in this year's draft. As the third outside guy, he is/was expected to see a lot of action this year whether Perriman and Mims stayed healthy all year or not. It's definitely a blow if it turns out to be something serious. The position was thin before his injury. 

We're basically in agreement. I don't expect any big name deals, but I do believe that they're not done at the position, either. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

One problem with his hands is that they're teeny-tiny and NFL footballs are a little bigger than college balls (hey now!). It's not surprising that he's struggling, although it is disappointing. Was hoping he'd surprise but instead we're hearing about Jeff Smith and Jehu Chesson. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

SEC/BIG 10 vs. Big 12 transition.  It's different.  For sure.  

I wouldnt expect Mims to emrge right away on a limited training camp where he's now even more limited.  I think those are unrealistic expectations.  I'm stoked we have Mims.  He was top 5 want at WR for me but even if all things were normal and he was healthy, I still think he's going to need some time to adjust to the NFL.  They didnt ask him to do a whole lot at Baylor. 

I definitely agree on the steeper learning curve coming from the Big 12. That said, the knock on Metcalf coming out was that he was an athletic freak who didn’t know how to run routes, which sounds just like Mims. I think his size and speed will make him immediately valuable as a red zone target and on go routes. 

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I definitely agree on the steeper learning curve coming from the Big 12. That said, the knock on Metcalf coming out was that he was an athletic freak that didn’t know how to run routes.

Mims is similar in that regard. I think his size and speed will make him immediately valuable as a red zone target and on go routes. 

Fair, maybe it's more about what you consider emerging.   That said, you're right, his size, strength, speed should be enough to make him have a positive impact in some of the more natural areas of the game. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

most teams that are good stay good and most teams that are crap stay crap....

They stunk last year and the year before and they will stink again this year, until they prove to us otherwise....

there's no room for "hope" in this equation.... 

the Jets have been rebuilding since what.. 2011?  that was like a decade ago....

they don't reload  - they just Rebuild.....

but the Jets are like building a foundation out of a dirt pile while other teams have a 3 story building going and people just expect results 

Bit, for a long time I've liked your posts, but lately I've been wondering if you've now got a job working with a for-profit Suicide Hotline.

For those of you with handguns, please keep them unloaded and put away in a difficult-to-access place before reading Bit's latest posts. The life you save may be your own.

• Haha 1