Once Again, A Jets Wide Receiver Crisis

LRJets

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

they called CJ Mosely's injury a "Groin pull" and he ended up missing 15 games

Yeah, and?  Do I need to start freaking out at every single player who takes off a day?  Life is too short for that my friend, if Mims misses opening day, I'll start being unhappy.  Till then, I expect to see him play this year.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

we have to read between the lines with the Jets and it's possible Mims' hamstring will linger.  

it's also fair to assume Mims won't be ready for week 1, hamstring or not 

there's a name for WR rookies who are ready to start right away they are called first round picks

Mims coming from Baylor ran extremely simple routes and while he has all the physical tools he needs to learn how to be a WR Professional and that learning process could take 2 even 3 seasons 

it's not helped by lack of mini camp, preseason games etc. 

Mims should have never been force fed this job. The Jets 2020 draft picks (becton too) are, as a group, under coached elite athlete types. they will learn a ton this year but it won't always be pretty 

while it is fair to expect the dude you got at 11 overall to be a powerhouse from day 1, 

it's not fair to expect the dude you got at 59 overall to come in and save the season at WR 

I don't expect him to "save the season".  I expect him to play the #3 WR position to the best of his ability for 16 games behind Crowder and Berrios.

Dear Lord, "save the season"?  A little less melodrama Bit, please.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

the problem with the endless rebuild is that rebuilding doesn't actually make sense in a league where player career length lasts 3 seasons or less

the list of teams that have successfully "rebuilt" i.e. stripped it all the way down and built it all the way back is extremely short

most teams that are good stay good and most teams that are crap stay crap 

contenders with a qb (like seattle for example) don't REBUILD when their defense ages out, they RELOAD and try to keep their window open as long as possible

when we get to the end of the year inevitably someone will complain about a "meaningless" win that denies the team Matt Ryan or some other such draft prescription 

the truth is this: there are no meaningless wins - every win is a step toward building a winning culture. Every loss reinforces a losing culture

players have to get used to winning and fans have to get used to expecting it 

this is why I'm so negative about these Jets. Teams don't just "git gud" because they declared it a rebuilding effort. They stunk last year and the year before and they will stink again this year, until they prove to us otherwise

there's no room for "hope" in this equation  

the Jets have been rebuilding since what.. 2011?  that was like a decade ago 

so they keep this 30 mil under the cap open and they have 75 open for next year and 110 open the year after that but noone good ever gets to FA and they dont sign their own players (robby would have been useful right about now) and never really try to win as evidenced by all the cap room and the whole team on 1 year deals 

so they don't reload  - they just Rebuild 

but the Jets are like building a foundation out of a dirt pile while other teams have a 3 story building going and people just expect results 

I feel your pain and frustration bit...

I may not be in step with all you said here.  But some of your points I do.

The battle is won or lost before  it's ever fought.  Because the mental aspects of such physical confrontations...is a huge factor in deciding the outcome.   No different in football.  A losing culture is a mental disease that's hard to cure.  Losing  breeds more losing for sure.  And it seems like you're just ending up waiting for some Messiah QB to come along...to pull the team out of the hell hole of losing...into soon after...hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.  For Jets fans it was..."suck for Sam"...for others it's now "lose for Lawrence".  

But...even if you draft that FQB...rebuilding in the hands of the kind of circle jerks we've had as GM NYJs...have gotten Jets nowhere.   Creating a roster that's dysfunctional in so many ways... OL; WR;  Edge; CB; etc.  

IMO...under JD...a rebuild will succeed .  Most of his moves have been making  much sense.   Seems to have the confidence and vision...to implement a plan to soon mold Jets into perennial playoff contenders.  He's accumulated a lot of draft capital for these next two drafts.  Jets CAP is in good shape too.  

I would like to see JD use that CAP to sign a Everson Grifffin or Clowney...and a Logan Ryan...to one year contracts.    Sign still another one year contact for a veteran WR to compete (Paul Richardson, Demaryuis Thomas?).   Load up on one year signings and compete for the division is my opinion.  It all comes off the books at year's end anyway.    It's still early in TC...so we'll see what happens.

Yes...patience will be running out for a lot of us.  I've said it in several postings...this is the Last Dance for me.  JD...the last GM NYJ...I trust to have the vision and the competence...to get it done.     

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fair, maybe it's more about what you consider emerging.   That said, you're right, his size, strength, speed should be enough to make him have a positive impact in some of the more natural areas of the game. 

While I have your attention @JiF, I just drafted Van Jefferson late in my dynasty fantasy rookie draft. He fell to me and I got him with the 37th pick. What is your assessment of him moving forward with the Rams (who took him over Mims)?

7 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

We probably have the worst receiving core in the NFL and probably the worst RB core as well. And nothing but questions at o line. Darnold is going to have to really step up this season.

Shouldn't be both.  You either like young talent or you like proven vets.  If you like proven vets, I don't see how you can have a problem with the Jets RB room.  If you like potential then the WR group shouldn't be seem so bad. 

13 minutes ago, PS17 said:

While I have your attention @JiF, I just drafted Van Jefferson late in my dynasty fantasy rookie draft. He fell to me and I got him with the 37th pick. What is your assessment of him moving forward with the Rams (who took him over Mims)?

I think he's a fine tuned polished WR who is a limited athlete.  I was shocked he went before Mims.  I like Jefferson and think he can be a solid possession WR in the NFL.  He's got all the nuances of the position down pat, I just dont know how he fits into their offense.  I know Kupp and Woods get a lot of targets, I guess he gets all of Cooks?  Not sure.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Shouldn't be both.  You either like young talent or you like proven vets.  If you like proven vets, I don't see how you can have a problem with the Jets RB room.  If you like potential then the WR group shouldn't be seem so bad. 

We have two old, over the hill RBs coming off the worst seasons of there careers where they looked finished.

Our WR core is a bunch of journeyman and one potentially promising rookie.

This teams offense looks like geno's rookie season on paper.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, ljr said:

very interested to know your take, & why

do you believe the 2020 OL is better or worse than the 2019 OL ?

(of course none of us have a crystal ball ... but in terms of best guess at this time)

Bit has been drinking espn kool aid since we traded Adams 

4 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

We probably have the worst receiving core in the NFL and probably the worst RB core as well. And nothing but questions at o line. Darnold is going to have to really step up this season.

When Jet fans act like Chris Hogan is good you know we are in trouble 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

the problem with the endless rebuild is that rebuilding doesn't actually make sense in a league where player career length lasts 3 seasons or less

the list of teams that have successfully "rebuilt" i.e. stripped it all the way down and built it all the way back is extremely short

most teams that are good stay good and most teams that are crap stay crap 

contenders with a qb (like seattle for example) don't REBUILD when their defense ages out, they RELOAD and try to keep their window open as long as possible

when we get to the end of the year inevitably someone will complain about a "meaningless" win that denies the team Matt Ryan or some other such draft prescription 

the truth is this: there are no meaningless wins - every win is a step toward building a winning culture. Every loss reinforces a losing culture

players have to get used to winning and fans have to get used to expecting it 

this is why I'm so negative about these Jets. Teams don't just "git gud" because they declared it a rebuilding effort. They stunk last year and the year before and they will stink again this year, until they prove to us otherwise

there's no room for "hope" in this equation  

the Jets have been rebuilding since what.. 2011?  that was like a decade ago 

so they keep this 30 mil under the cap open and they have 75 open for next year and 110 open the year after that but noone good ever gets to FA and they dont sign their own players (robby would have been useful right about now) and never really try to win as evidenced by all the cap room and the whole team on 1 year deals 

so they don't reload  - they just Rebuild 

but the Jets are like building a foundation out of a dirt pile while other teams have a 3 story building going and people just expect results 

Until we truly have a franchise QB, the NYJ will always be in rebuilding mode.

Let’s hope that Sam’s the man.

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

teams that are good stay good and most teams that are crap stay crap 

Teams that are good have a good QB and a good head coach. The rest of this, including arguments between people who think we should hold a fire sale every two years and people who think we should spend to the cap to win 7 games instead of 5, is just window dressing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, bitonti said:

Based on what exactly? a week without pads?

18 hours ago, ljr said:

(of course none of us have a crystal ball ... but in terms of best guess at this time)

---

@bitonti

rubber = road

On 8/17/2020 at 1:41 PM, bitonti said:

they called CJ Mosely's injury a "Groin pull" and he ended up missing 15 games

we have to read between the lines with the Jets and it's possible Mims' hamstring will linger.  

It was a groin pull

He came back too early are tore the muscle

But, ooooh the Jets and reading between the lines, Mims may have cancer.  

Reports are that its tweaked and they're playing it safe.  Reporters have said they isnt any bleeding, spotting etc.

On 8/17/2020 at 1:41 PM, bitonti said:

it's also fair to assume Mims won't be ready for week 1, hamstring or not 

there's a name for WR rookies who are ready to start right away they are called first round picks

Or Anquan Boldon

Or Chris Collingsworth

Or DK Metcalf....top of my head examples

On 8/17/2020 at 9:33 AM, bitonti said:

Based on what exactly? a week without pads?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

LJR said:

Bit,

Wanted to make sure you didn't miss my question to you.

what do you think, 2019 or 2020?

2 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

So Jeff Smith is a non member? All I read is he is really impressive and the coach’s are liking what they see. He’s been playing with the 1s.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah.  I mean without this "crisis" we might not have seen what he could do with significantly less reps in practice   Say he continues to impress and ends up doing even better come game time.  That means this "crisis' could have ended up in a positive result. 

Oh man.  That would totally suck.  Somethimg positive to think about for Jets fans?  Can't have that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1