Vyncint Smith out 5-8 Weeks

kdels62

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok so let's sort through the facts here

the CBA was just signed and the players/owners agreed to the new cap structure already (this was when the opt-out language was added)

so we know what the new cap will be it's a small reduction about 10 mil each year over the next 4 years

the 2020 cap is unaffected 

this is one reason why vets etc are being resigned league wide is because with more room upfront they can front load these contracts and get the big spends out of the way 

the Jets did it opposite, sold all their shares for this year, the future and beyond

let's make one thing extremely clear @slats im not advocating for "Tanny days" of spending free and easy (although that was the last time they made the playoffs) 

What I want is the Jets to be funded ADEQUATELY 

not extreme spending, not extreme saving, just fund the roster 94%-96% to the cap-  every year steady eddy. The Eagles do this for example and they always have 10 mil left over in case someone gets hurt. 

Im not advocating for 100% or 105% percent spend. 

instead the jets go 87%-94% (signing bell splash year) and right now the roster is UNDERFUNDED

maybe if the Jets had a coaching genius (HAH) and a scouting department for the ages (Double HAH) we could expect an underfunded roster to win games

but this team, with a young QB etc needs all the help it can get

and this small reduction coming in years 2021-24 does not excuse the negligent amount of cap space this team currently has open 

the possibility of Allen Robinson making it to FA is not a reason to keep this amount of cap space 

Unless of course the point is not to win games, just to keep the lights on, in which case, keep calm and carry on, they look like a 4 or 5 win team at the moment 

But you can not do that consistently.  The Eagles bill comes due next year, they are already $50M over the projected cap for 2021.   We saw this with the Seahawks a couple seasons ago, there needs to be ebbs and flows with the cap.  When things are in place to make a 2-3 year run at a Super Bowl you max it out while knowing that in year 4 you’re going to have to break it down and rebuild it again.  

If you want to make the case JD should have signed a couple more guys on one year deals?  OK, but who are these guys that would make a difference?  They would just be more FA street guys with no real impact or value to the franchise.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok so let's sort through the facts here

the CBA was just signed and the players/owners agreed to the new cap structure already (this was when the opt-out language was added)

so we know what the new cap will be it's a small reduction about 10 mil each year over the next 4 years

the 2020 cap is unaffected 

this is one reason why vets etc are being resigned league wide is because with more room upfront they can front load these contracts and get the big spends out of the way 

This year's cap is set at $198M, it could drop as low as $175M next year. That floor was set because revenue could be so bad this year that it would've gone even lower without that artificial floor being set. Even if it's "only $10M less," that's very significant because most years you'd expect it to go up $10M or more. The net result in your rosy scenario is that the cap is $20M lower than what would've ordinarily been expected. That's a lot. 

And what vets are being resigned to big deals? Oh yeah, that's right! Generational type players on the two teams who made the Super Bowl last year. 

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets did it opposite, sold all their shares for this year, the future and beyond

Oh, the humanity! Are we still talking about Jamal Adams? Not paying Adams two years early and getting two firsts and a third for him has the potential to be one of greatest moves in franchise history. 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

maybe if the Jets had a coaching genius (HAH) and a scouting department for the ages (Double HAH) we could expect an underfunded roster to win games

I'm down with the new front office, and they have a clean slate as far as I'm concerned to build this team the way they see fit. What Tanny/Idzik/Maccagnan did here means nothing now except that there's still a mess to clean up after. I applaud the pragmatic approach this season. I like not spending just to spend. I like the way they tried to shore up every area with deficiencies on the roster rather than make splashes. He's raised the floor. He's done a lot in one year, and he's brilliantly positioned next season to continue building if these moves he's made take hold. 

Meanwhile KC is $25M over that $175M floor in 2021, and SF is $35M over it. Those teams are obviously in much better position to compete this year than the Jets, but that would've been true if the Jets spent every dime they had available. Next year, the Joe D will be in the offseason catbird seat. I like the way he's positioned himself. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Where is this list, please? and by the way the CBA runs in 4 year windows they are in year 1 again so of course a 5 year cherry picked data set will show the "splashes" they made with Trumaine Johnson and Bell. But these are not good moves they are necessary moves to get a team that was under the floor to above the floor.  

they are 75 million under the 2021 cap they are 30 mil under this year's cap (which can roll over)  

i don't see how these numbers will change, unless they do something insane like give Sam an extension or sign Clowney 

the trend by the way does exist, it is real and to spell it out they have not funded the roster spend since 2010-2011. 

and hiring garbage coaches like Bowles and Gase that's not even counted on the Salary cap 

Are you serious, I posted the list in response to your claim the Jets historically dont spend two times and both times you disappeared from the conversation.  You can look it up, I'm not doing it again, twice is enough  

What cherry picking?  If its the last 5 years, its the last 5 years.  Who friggen cares about 2021, do you have a clue as to what youre even talking about?  Youre bitching about the talent, the money theyre paying for talent, in 2021?  Thats relevant how exactly?  

Talk about cherry picking, do you even get the term? Youre whining about this year, want to claim the numbers for the last however many seasons are cherry picking numbers though.  

And you actually said that you dont see how it can change, unless they extend Sam?  You mean like sign a FA.

BTYW, what do coaches have to do with it?  Hiring one of the two top assistants next in line to be HCs is what, cheap?  How much is Gase being paid?  Give me your guess, because you dont know.  

Your logic is mind numbing 

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

and one more thing, regarding Robby Anderson's value to the team 

yes Crowder was targeted 122 times to Robby's 96

but thats still a ton of targets and consistent as well, he was targetted 94 times the year before 

this is a trusted target for Sam 

and they can't increase Crowder to 150 targets to make up for it 

so what happens next? BP gets 100 targets? maybe. 

I guess you forgot that they signed Perriman and drafted Mims in the second round. 

Robby Anderson wasn't a trusted target, he was all Darnold had outside. He had no choice but to throw to him. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, slats said:

Sam's most trusted target, by far, was Jamison Crowder followed by Le'Veon Bell. Robby produced because he was thrust into a #1 role that he didn't really deserve. I liked Anderson, and would've resigned him, but I'm not sensing that anyone associated with the Jets actually misses him. The Jets are loaded with speed at the position right now. 

This narrative of yours remains stale. The team has a new GM, who is just one year into his six-year deal and is hard at work to remake the roster in his image. It was never going to happen just like that. This roster has been decimated by years of mismanagement. Spending just to spend wasn't going to get them anywhere. Over the years, we've seen the Jets sign (or try to sign) the most expensive free agents on the market with generally poor results. I don't understand the desire to return to the days where Tanny trades away half his draft picks and claims to win the offseason. 

I get that I can't get you (or @FidelioJet) to stop bitching and moaning, but I think there's a reason your complaints aren't getting much traction: there's optimism around Joe Douglas. Jets are in position to pillage and plunder in 2021 with all that cap space in what will almost certainly be a lower capped year. I'm willing to sit back and watch some young the Jets develop this season, and see what Joe D does next. 

The bolded is the part is what I love about all you guys.

When a GM tanks a year like they we are this year - y'all praise the GM for not spending on FA - "it's the right thing not to spend" - "What has FA every gotten us" - "Why pay for other teams headaches" etc....

But when they're not tanking - it's okay to spend - then it's a good idea?  We talk about how great having all that cap space will be - if we have no one to pay on our own team than what are we supposed to do with it all?  Sit in the Johnson's pockets?  It's just nonsense.

Bottom line is, we have our franchise QB - we need to try and compete every year.  We have none of our own players to pay (well we had one and chose to trade him instead) ---- IMHO we should't be playing scared but playing to win.

That's it...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The bolded is the part is what I love about all you guys.

When a GM tanks a year like they we are this year - y'all praise the GM for not spending on FA - "it's the right thing not to spend" - "What has FA every gotten us" - "Why pay for other teams headaches" etc....

But when they're not tanking - it's okay to spend - then it's a good idea?  We talk about how great having all that cap space will be - if we have no one to pay on our own team than what are we supposed to do with it all?  Sit in the Johnson's pockets?  It's just nonsense.

Bottom line is, we have our franchise QB - we need to try and compete every year.  We have none of our own players to pay (well we had one and chose to trade him instead) ---- IMHO we should't be playing scared but playing to win.

That's it...

I don't think you've ever answered the question, "who could the Jets have signed this year that would've made them a contender?" 

The great teams built themselves thru the draft. The great teams have solid to great talent under contract at rookie prices. Those teams are in better position to add expensive veterans to an already solid mix. Trying to build thru free agency almost always fails. 

The GM isn't tanking. That's hyperbolic bull****. 

It all comes down to whether or not Joe Douglas is the guy. If Becton and Mims hit, the Jets are a much improved football team in 2020 and incredibly well-positioned to go from also-ran to contender in 2021 with five top 100 picks and a ****load of cap room. Pretty simple, really. 

I like Sam, too, but if he turns out to not be the guy, JD has plenty of ammo to replace him, too. I have no problem whatsoever with the new GM hedging his bets a little bit in his first year. Pragmatic and just smart, IMHO. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Whats with all this tanking talk?  

Let me guess, because we dont have the most talent in the league, thanks Macc, it proves JD isnt trying to win.  Therefore hes tanking.  I get it now.

• Haha 1

When a team is this far under the cap, relying on 2nd Rd wr to start, lost their best 2 players in July, it feels like a tank season.

Whats with all this tanking talk?  
Let me guess, because we dont have the most talent in the league, thanks Macc, it proves JD isnt trying to win.  Therefore hes tanking.  I get it now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When a team is this far under the cap, relying on 2nd Rd wr to start, lost their best 2 players in July, it feels like a tank season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

No it doesnt.  When you replace a common WR, one that every team in the NFL has with a stud draft pick and a player of equal talent, if not more, it only feels that way to the sky is falling committee 

When a very young team is under the cap before the season has started its called planning.  Its called being prudent.  Its called not spending just to spend or justify you existence.  

Most importantly its called not being Mike Maccagnan.  Hey, spending right up to the cap, signing the top FA every offseason worked so well in the past, lets do it and get some fans approval

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And meanwhile, the Bengals are missing 3 of their top 4 WRs at the moment.  AJ Green (hamstring), Tee Higgins (undisclosed injury) and John Ross (COVID) are all out of commission at the moment. 

That leaves Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, and a bunch of camp bodies for rookie Joe Burrow to throw to.

Yes, it could absolutely be worse.

And yet the Bengals still have a better HC.  

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Qb does not throw to a guy 95 times a year because he does not trust him. Cmon.

You c'mon, who else did he have to throw to? Perriman will absorb all of those attempts comfortably. 

• Upvote 2

All this doom and gloom is hilarious. Losing Mosley stings and is disappointing, I wanted to see how in this defense.

But the addition of what could be a stud LT, Mims has plenty of potential, Davis could be the center fielder on defense this team has missed since Rhodes, Q Williams could be much improved, and lastly if Sam takes a step forward in his development none of this matters.

This is a wacky year, there are plenty of teams that are dealing with inexperience, injuries, new coaches, etc. I'm hyped for this season all this bitching about Adams and whatever Douglas didn't do is ridiculous. Trust the process, JD is slowly changing the direction of this franchise. About damn time someone did.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

You c'mon, who else did he have to throw to? Perriman will absorb all of those attempts comfortably. 

having seen it myself, countless times, if a QB doesn't trust a player he will throw to him zero times

if a QB loses trust in a WR he won't even look for him. 

since this site loves statistics all of a sudden

BP has never had a year with more than 70 targets

Robby Anderson has never had a year with LESS than 70 targets

to say he will do it comfortably is a hopeful statement. It's possible, but hopeful. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PerrBr02.htm

even in Sun Ra's rookie year he was targetted 78 times 

yes Robby was/is a good player to say open cap space is more valueable is drinking the green kool aid 

and it's a false choice because they could have had both players, easily

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh look.  Bitonti and FidelioJet ruining yet another thread with their recycled, unoriginal and unfounded negativity towards Joe Douglas!

its your right as a fan to be hopeful during preseason

go ahead and be hopeful 

they are going to win the SB this year 

YAAAAAYYYY

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Hey, spending right up to the cap, signing the top FA every offseason worked so well in the past, lets do it and get some fans approval

the last time the Jets made the playoffs they spent to the cap 

they have not spent to the cap or made the playoffs for a decade

so yes funding the roster did work well in the past

they never got a ring but they were in the mix

it's better than stay 30 mil under and plan for next year

and let's be real when a team trades it's best player by far it's only top 100 player for 2 1st round draft picks in July that sends a tank message

all the fancy semantics and excuses doesn't change the price of poker

these guys will have to play games at some point 

the schedule is ridiculous, the roster is barren 

it's not going to go well

you guys have for years wanted me to become more accurate with my predictions

this is what accuracy looks like 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

having seen it myself, countless times, if a QB doesn't trust a player he will throw to him zero times

if a QB loses trust in a WR he won't even look for him. 

since this site loves statistics all of a sudden

BP has never had a year with more than 70 targets

Robby Anderson has never had a year with LESS than 70 targets

to say he will do it comfortably is a hopeful statement. It's possible, but hopeful. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PerrBr02.htm

even in Sun Ra's rookie year he was targetted 78 times 

yes Robby was/is a good player to say open cap space is more valueable is drinking the green kool aid 

and it's a false choice because they could have had both players, easily

Robby left to be with his college head coach. 

Otherwise, this might be an interesting argument to make to someone who hasn't been a Jet fan for the last 50 years or so. I liked Robby Anderson, but I also know who he was here. "Trusted," is a massive stretch. He's been replaced with Perriman and Mims. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

This year's cap is set at $198M, it could drop as low as $175M next year. That floor was set because revenue could be so bad this year that it would've gone even lower without that artificial floor being set. Even if it's "only $10M less," that's very significant because most years you'd expect it to go up $10M or more. The net result in your rosy scenario is that the cap is $20M lower than what would've ordinarily been expected. That's a lot. 

And what vets are being resigned to big deals? Oh yeah, that's right! Generational type players on the two teams who made the Super Bowl last year. 

Oh, the humanity! Are we still talking about Jamal Adams? Not paying Adams two years early and getting two firsts and a third for him has the potential to be one of greatest moves in franchise history. 

I'm down with the new front office, and they have a clean slate as far as I'm concerned to build this team the way they see fit. What Tanny/Idzik/Maccagnan did here means nothing now except that there's still a mess to clean up after. I applaud the pragmatic approach this season. I like not spending just to spend. I like the way they tried to shore up every area with deficiencies on the roster rather than make splashes. He's raised the floor. He's done a lot in one year, and he's brilliantly positioned next season to continue building if these moves he's made take hold. 

Meanwhile KC is $25M over that $175M floor in 2021, and SF is $35M over it. Those teams are obviously in much better position to compete this year than the Jets, but that would've been true if the Jets spent every dime they had available. Next year, the Joe D will be in the offseason catbird seat. I like the way he's positioned himself. 

Yep.  You can not "buy" a champion football team.  The NFL is not the NBA or MLB.  To win with consistency in the NFL, the key is good management.  It takes vision and a plan.  Splurging on big names in FA is a waste.  You want to grow your own stars through the draft and use FA to intelligently plug holes without pissing away cap or draft capitol.   

JD looks like a real find.  I don't think the Jets will have a great season this year, but I'm convinced they will be one of the better teams of this decade. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh look.  Bitonti and FidelioJet ruining yet another thread with their recycled, unoriginal and unfounded negativity towards Joe Douglas!

All because JD didn’t give a safety who doesn’t get interceptions a $120 million extension 2 years before his current contract he himself signed expired 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, slats said:

FWIW, Perriman falls into the same category...    only rec'd as many targets at the end of last year cos the top 2 WRs on the roster were injured...

never had more than 70 targets in a year...   a catch % less than Robby though Robby has almost 200 more targets.....(nev er less than 78 targets)

there are 2 major factors I see... THE OL and SAM...   if Sam is better throwing deep this year BP should meet and  exceed RA's output from last year. 

(RA could easily have had 3 or 4 more TDs and a couple hundred more yards if Sam was a better deep thrower...   i mean, the very 1st game there was 100 yds and 2 TDs left out there by underthrows....)

if something can be derived about who is "trusted" it looks like Perriman wanst trusted by 3 teams.

10 starts in 4 yrs for a 1st rnd draftee....

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Robby left to be with his college head coach. 

Otherwise, this might be an interesting argument to make to someone who hasn't been a Jet fan for the last 50 years or so. I liked Robby Anderson, but I also know who he was here. "Trusted," is a massive stretch. He's been replaced with Perriman and Mims. 

there was a huge amount of time they controlled him and never even moved to resigned him 

they RFA'ed him and had no intention of resigning this player after that 

they could have stopped him from reaching free agency

what would have been the downside? less cap space? who cares 

there's no law that says the Jets can't have more than 1 fast player on offense 

everyone's talking about the next step Sam has to take but they took away alot and didn't add much to replace

even the Adams trade or the CJ opt out which some will say has no relevance to a sam/robby discussion, how is Sam going to make the next step if he's always playing from behind and the D can't get off the field? 

football team is 3 units, offense, defense and special teams and I've always believed they are equally important in terms of winning games

which leads us to special teams they replaced Lac Edwards after he led the league in punts but still don't have a PK

like they couldn't find a reliable PK with 30 mil in space? 

all of this puts more pressure on Sam

which leads me to believe they aren't really interested in Sam working out either

start the James "Captain" morgan era

it's not a joke. JD has no tie to 14 but he picked Morgan 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

All because JD didn’t give a safety who doesn’t get interceptions a $120 million extension 2 years before his current contract he himself signed expired 

that's one way of saying it 

another way of saying it is a player shot his way out of town and the GM rolled over and gave this player everything he wanted

rewarding bad behavior 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don't think you've ever answered the question, "who could the Jets have signed this year that would've made them a contender?" 

The great teams built themselves thru the draft. The great teams have solid to great talent under contract at rookie prices. Those teams are in better position to add expensive veterans to an already solid mix. Trying to build thru free agency almost always fails. 

The GM isn't tanking. That's hyperbolic bull****. 

It all comes down to whether or not Joe Douglas is the guy. If Becton and Mims hit, the Jets are a much improved football team in 2020 and incredibly well-positioned to go from also-ran to contender in 2021 with five top 100 picks and a ****load of cap room. Pretty simple, really. 

I like Sam, too, but if he turns out to not be the guy, JD has plenty of ammo to replace him, too. I have no problem whatsoever with the new GM hedging his bets a little bit in his first year. Pragmatic and just smart, IMHO. 

I'm going to list this for the last time ---- IMHO, The Jets could have absolutely been a contender this year.  

I believe, Sam Darnold has the true potential to be a legitimate top 5 NFL QB and I believe his second year in the offense will allow him to prosper - if he had the right tools. 

So, yes - while the Jets still wouldn't be the most talented team in the world they could have absolutely been competitive this year if the organization didn't decide to save money and punt on it.

Tackles: Jack Conklin, Ryan Bulaga, Jason Peters - heck, Beachum and Shell would be upgrades to Fant

Guard: Graham Glascow is a substantial upgrade to what we have right now

WR: Emanuel Sanders, Randall Cobb and, of course, keeping Robby.  (I'm so tired of hearing people here tell me that Robby wasn't any good but a guy with half his production is actually much better)

Also, how about keeping our best player, if trading the only good player on the roster doesn't tell you something I'm not sure what will!

Heck, on the defensive side of the ball there are STILL two difference makers on the market and Woody's sitting on a pile of money in his cap reserve -  Griffen and Clowney.

NOTE - Except for Jason Peters, every free agent I mentioned above went to another team - so they were gettable.

You're telling me we're not tanking but we trade away our only all-pro and best player and not sign our most impactful offensive player.  How can you not see it that way?

This is the NFL - a couple of key pieces in the right place - like a strong RT, along with your young Rookie LT, a high impact WR can make the world of difference if your franchise QB takes the next step.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You're telling me we're not tanking but we trade away our only all-pro and best player and not sign our most impactful offensive player.  How can you not see it that way?

because the nile aint just a river in egypt 

the Jets are not interested in taking the next step 

all the steps pay the same 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the last time the Jets made the playoffs they spent to the cap 

they have not spent to the cap or made the playoffs for a decade

so yes funding the roster did work well in the past

they never got a ring but they were in the mix

it's better than stay 30 mil under and plan for next year

and let's be real when a team trades it's best player by far it's only top 100 player for 2 1st round draft picks in July that sends a tank message

all the fancy semantics and excuses doesn't change the price of poker

these guys will have to play games at some point 

the schedule is ridiculous, the roster is barren 

it's not going to go well

you guys have for years wanted me to become more accurate with my predictions

this is what accuracy looks like 

You have no clue what you’re talking about.  No one else does either.  The constant whining about spending to the cap, which they’ve done plenty of times since 2010 is boring and a little lazy.  The teams that spend the least are some of the better teams by Ws & Ls.  There’s no correlation.  Pats spent to the cap?  They have more cap room than we do.  How many SBs does Snyder have?  You believe with Decker, Marshall, Revis, Cro etc we weren’t spending to the cap?  When have you or your partner Fidelio heard anyone say we have a budget?  

i agree, the loss of Adams & Anderson turns them from a winning, playoff team to a 4 win team.  No one would ever think of moving Anderson, he’s irreplaceable. The same player you once argued was a scrub who’s frail body wouldn’t allow him to stay on the field.  Times have changed.  And I honestly could care about anyone’s predictions.  

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

all of this puts more pressure on Sam

which leads me to believe they aren't really interested in Sam working out either

start the James "Captain" morgan era

it's not a joke. JD has no tie to 14 but he picked Morgan

This is an excellent example of just how far out of whack your perception has become. Gase took the job because Darnold is here. Joe Douglas took the job because Darnold is here. There isn't so much as a hint or sign or any evidence whatsoever to suggest that these guys are anything but all in on Sam Darnold. James Morgan is working with the threes. 

It's hot takes like this that put your entire agenda in perspective. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Because trading Jamal Adams away was the absolute correct thing to do. You need to get over that one. He burned the place down to get off the Jets. And his entire premise for his ridiculous outburst was because the Jets refused to pay him two years early a year before an almost certain salary cap reduction. A premise proven to be complete bull****, because he's happily playing for the Seahawks under the exact same deal. He's a liar and a fraud and I still haven't heard one of his teammates say a decent thing about him. Getting two firsts and a third for him is nothing short of genius. I really don't care if it costs the team 2/10's of a win this year as Vegas suggests, it's going to pay big dividends down the road. 

And the "most impactful," Robby Anderson wasn't and isn't all that special, and he also wanted out. He's already been effectively replaced. 

Tanking? Geez.  

• Upvote 3