CFL season cancelled

https://www.nfl.com/news/cfl-cancels-2020-season-amid-covid-19-pandemic

CFL cancels 2020 season amid COVID-19 pandemic

Published: Aug 17, 2020 at 02:24 PM

logo_author_2020_logo_AP_png

The Canadian Football League canceled its 2020 season Monday because of the pandemic, marking the first year since 1919 the Grey Cup won't be awarded.

The move by the nine-team league dashed hopes of a shortened season in the hub city of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a statement the decision was in the "best long-term interests" of the league.

"We are absolutely committed to 2021, to the future of our league and the pursuit of our vision of a bigger, stronger, more global CFL," he said.

The CFL, unlike other major leagues in North America, does not have the luxury of a billion-dollar television contract. While its deal with TSN has become more lucrative over the years, the CFL remains a gate-driven league, a major problem when fans aren't allowed in the stands.

The league was unable to secure financing from the federal government after requesting an interest-free loan of $23.7 million on Aug. 3 to stage an abbreviated 2020 campaign. The deal fell through Sunday night.

The commissioner has said the league lost more than $15 million last season.

"Even with government funding and a new CBA, our owners and community-held teams would have had to endure significant financial losses to play in 2020," Ambrosie said.

The league also needed approval from the Public Health Agency of Canada. Dr. Howard Njoo, Canada's deputy chief public health officer, said last Friday he was encouraged by the CFL's plan, but couldn't provide a timeline for a decision the league quickly needed to proceed.

The CFL said last month it had chosen Winnipeg as a hub city for a regular season with six games, followed by an eight-team playoff. No fans were to attend

But it was contingent on the league securing financial assistance from the federal government, solidifying an extension of the collective bargaining agreement and approving health and safety protocols.

The league also struggled to mend fences with the CFL Players' Association. Politicians from all major parties criticized the CFL for not having its players involved in its initial financial assistance request.

When the pandemic first hit in March, the CFL had time on its side, with training camps not set to open until May. But as the situation worsened, the CFL began postponing camps and eventually the start of the regular season in June.

Later, the CFL called off the championship Grey Cup game in November in Regina, Saskatchewan, saying the model would not work without fans.

The cancellation also puts the new-look Edmonton team on hold. The team announced it was dropping the name Eskimos this summer after facing pressure from sponsors.

Copyright 2020 by The Associated Press

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Would the Jets be allowed to cherrypick WRs from the CFL?

It's an interesting question. The CFL pays less than the NFL's lower COVID out clause. A lot of those guys are probably looking at getting real jobs for a year. Be interesting if they were free to sign with another league this year. Even getting on a practice squad would be a great gig for most of those guys. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Would the Jets be allowed to cherrypick WRs from the CFL?

2 hours ago, slats said:

It's an interesting question. The CFL pays less than the NFL's lower COVID out clause. A lot of those guys are probably looking at getting real jobs for a year. Be interesting if they were free to sign with another league this year. Even getting on a practice squad would be a great gig for most of those guys. 

Linebacker Nate Holley, who was last season's Canadian Football League Most Outstanding Rookie with the Calgary Stampeders, is expected to have NFL workouts now that the CFL season has been canceled, Pelissero reported. Holley, a Kent State product, previously had stints with the Rams and Vikings. The 25-year-old had 78 tackles last season for Calgary with 22 on special teams.

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

I'm a huge Saskatchewan Roughriders fan.  I was impressed that they had the guts to be inclusive enough to use a gay mascot while getting rid of the racist undertones in the Eskimo name.  

I'm a huge Jamal Adams fan. Was hoping to see him play in Canada after the Seahawks get fed up with his antics and trade his rights to a CFL team in the far depths of the frozen tundra. 

• Haha 2

Vancouver (B.C. Lions)

Edmonton (Edmonton Eskimos)

Calgary Stampders

Regina (Saskatchewan Rough Riders)

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Toronto Argonaughts

Hamilton Tiger Cats

Ottawa Red Blacks

Montreal Alouettes

The league has not missed a year since 1909 when it commenced.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No place for Petty and Hackenberg to play 

CFL teams have negotiation lists of about 30 players they have exclusive rights to in the usa.  They can drop and add guys at any time.  On a transaction posting last year  I saw that my hometown team the Edmonton Eskimos had added Hackenburg to their neg list.  I almost had a seizure.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

CFL teams have negotiation lists of about 30 players they have exclusive rights to in the usa.  They can drop and add guys at any time.  On a transaction posting last year  I saw that my hometown team the Edmonton Eskimos had added Hackenburg to their neg list.  I almost had a seizure.

I don’t think hack would be even decent in the CFL.  Petty maybe because he has arm strength and is playing against DBs that can’t even make a practice squad here

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

They don't have the revenue stream needed to pay for a season with no fans, concessions, etc. like the NFL does. It might be easier for the CFL to put the entire league in a bubble environment but that costs a lot of money they don't have. I'll miss it. 

This.  The nfl is still going to generate a profit with tv ratings this year especially now that college will probably get cancelled and the tv networks will be even more reliant on the nfl

Networks will have to negotiate amendments to the existing contracts which means big bucks for the league

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes, but quite a few years ago I read that CFL contracts have outs in them if the player wants to "improve his position as a player" or something, obviously meaning the NFL without saying so specifically.  Has that changed-can the CFL  now prevent a player from going to the NFL if he makes the NFL roster?

40 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Yes, but quite a few years ago I read that CFL contracts have outs in them if the player wants to "improve his position as a player" or something, obviously meaning the NFL without saying so specifically.  Has that changed-can the CFL  now prevent a player from going to the NFL if he makes the NFL roster?

They have had a few different agreements but not all contracts have an out to go to the NFL.  However in most cases CFL teams will not force players to stay if they have an NFL offer.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Agree.  Toronto makes sense it’s a very wealthy city and North America’s 4th largest market

If I was the NFL I'd be leery of Toronto they can't hardly support their CFL team.  Then again they see themselves as essentially  a USA city and might support and NFL team.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Networks will have to negotiate amendments to the existing contracts which means big bucks for the league

Yes. The league will negotiate with college football and the networks, with the networks paying the NFL and NCAA. Then it will be Thanksgiving every Saturday, with three national games.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

Yes. The league will negotiate with college football and the networks, with the networks paying the NFL and NCAA. Then it will be Thanksgiving every Saturday, with three national games.  

It will be fun.  All these old fogeys complaining about too much nfl on tv can piss off