Melvin Ingram signs adjusted contract before returning to Chargers practice

He can't be happy that his fellow EDGE, Joey Bosa, got paid in a big way.  He carries a $16.63M cap charge in the final season of his deal and has already banked nearly $49M over the last 3 seasons, however.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/melvin-ingram-sitting-out-practices-due-to-contract-issues

Melvin Ingram sitting out practices due to contract issues

Published: Aug 17, 2020 at 09:35 PM

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Grant Gordon

NFL.com Digital Content Producer

Melvin Ingram has been at Los Angeles Chargers practices, but the apparently disgruntled defensive end isn't participating in them.

Ingram is sitting out of practice due to dismay with his contract situation, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

The Athletic first reported the news.

An eight-year pro with three straight Pro Bowl trips, Ingram, 31, is in the final season of his current contract and due $14 million in base salary in 2020 from a four-year pact for $47.25 million.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, holdouts can directly affect a player's ability to reach unrestricted free agency as they can prohibit a player from accruing a season needed to reach free agency. In Ingram's case, however, he has reported and has also avoided any fines, which are mandatory under the new CBA.

Ingram, the No. 18 pick in the 2013 draft, has tallied seven sacks in each of the last two seasons since matching a career-high with 10.5 in 2017. In 2019, he had 48 tackles, seven sacks, five passes defended, 12 quarterback hits and 11 tackles for loss. 

This news comes following Ingram's teammate and fellow defensive end Joey Bosa signing a massive extension.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I flipped the **** out when they took that stiff over Ingram. 

Thanks for the reminder....

I wanted Decastro - but then of course let myself get hyped up over the Julius Peppers comps - “Coples coulda been the #1 overall pick!” Quinton Coples with Muhammad Wilkerson!! Watch out World! Sheldon Richardson too!! Omg! Snacks too!!! Oh my gawd- this is going to be Purple People Eaters 2.0, Sack Exchange Deuce!!!  Bleh.

• Haha 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/chargers-melvin-ingram-was-back-on-the-practice

Chargers' Melvin Ingram returns to practice field

Published: Aug 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

It's unclear if Melvin Ingram's reported hold-in provided coin in his pocket, but the edge rusher was back on the practice field.

Gilbert Manzano of the L.A. Daily News reported that Ingram returned to the practice field Thursday, his first on-field work since the start of training camp.

It's unknown whether Ingram's contract concerns were acquiesced at this point. Coach Anthony Lynn has continually called Ingram's situation "company business" without elaborating.

Ingram is seeking a contract extension as he enters the final year of his deal. After the Chargers made Joey Bosa the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, Ingram hopes to get his next chunk of change.

Whether or not the Chargers quashed any financial concerns to coax Ingram back to the practice field is uncertain, but his teammates are glad he's back.

"It's always fun having Melvin out here," tight end Hunter Henry said. "Obviously, he's a tremendous player. A leader on this team. He's been around for a long time. He's so much fun to go against. He's one of the top players in the game, so anytime you get him back out here, definitely the energy goes up."

Ingram returning to practice more than three weeks before the season-opener indicates that while he might not be thrilled with his contract situation, it shouldn't stop him from hitting the field with teammates when games begin.

On 8/17/2020 at 10:31 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I flipped the **** out when they took that stiff over Ingram. 

Thanks for the reminder....

I was in a winter bowling league that year that ended on that night. First time the draft was on Thursday iirc. I got pissed and started doing shots. We lost our final two games. Everybody blamed me. Lol. 

• Haha 3

I wouldn’t have drafted Coples as soon as I saw those branding scars. WTF idiot does that to themselves?

I was all in on Ingram. Jetnation fans drafting by consensus would have had this team in the playoffs yearly. #truth. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/melvin-ingram-signed-adjusted-contract-before-returning-to-chargers-practice

Melvin Ingram signed adjusted contract before returning to Chargers practice

Published: Aug 21, 2020 at 01:05 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

Melvin Ingram's unique way of going about securing new terms of employment -- a hold-in, as our Kevin Patra described it earlier Friday -- has paid off.

Ingram signed an adjusted contract with the Chargers on Thursday that guarantees his $14 million 2020 salary, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, per sources informed of the situation.

Ingram returned to practice Thursday, but there had previously been no sign that his contract dispute had been addressed. Chargers coach Anthony Lynn had only referred to the matter as "company business" while Ingram sat out.

Ingram was entering the final year of a four-year, $64 million deal signed in 2017. There's no indication that his contract was extended in the adjusted agreement.

With Ingram's contract dispute appearing to be resolved, the 31-year-old can return to preparations for the 2020 season.