Sign in to follow this  
ganggreen305

WR issues/News

Welcome sir! I thought this would be a thread about JD not signing other WRs so thank you for posting about something else. 

With that said, I’m just as curious about those guys as you. Hopefully we hear soon. Maybe one of the beat writers can ask at a press conference? This is what I usually look forward to with preseason games. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

I have been following you guys for years and this is my first post.  Whooo!

What is driving me nuts is that I don't hear any news about the UDFA WRs that everyone was so high on.  Cager and Campbell?  I was really excited about these 2 and haven't heard a peep about them.  If there was ever a time to stand out and make this team, it is now.  I hope they stand out.  I loved them in college.

Thoughts?  Don't ban me!

CaneJet from Miami!

Welcome!

Heard some rumors Cager wasn't lighting it up in camp, but not much else.

• Sad 1

The most I read which was posted in a different thread was Connor Hughes' comment that Cager has great size for the position, but hands of stone and needs to get better at holding on to the ball, implying a few drops in camp already.   Likely practice squad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dinamite said:

The most I read which was posted in a different thread was Connor Hughes' comment that Cager has great size for the position, but hands of stone and needs to get better at holding on to the ball, implying a few drops in camp already.   Likely practice squad.

Ouch. As a WR, you have one job haha

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ganggreen305 said:

What is driving me nuts is that I don't hear any news about the UDFA WRs that everyone was so high on.  Cager and Campbell?  I was really excited about these 2 and haven't heard a peep about them.  If there was ever a time to stand out and make this team, it is now.  I hope they stand out.  I loved them in college.

Thoughts?  Don't ban me!

CaneJet from Miami!

WR's like Jeff Smith probably are further ahead being in the O/System longer and can move up the depth chart easier. Cager/Campbell will need time to learn all of that before they can move up and make impacts. It is likely they are more PS material unless one shines by the time Sept rolls around. Guys like that would have been in much better shape with a few preseason games to prove themselves, but that didn't happen as we know.

• Upvote 1

Turns out that Cager has tiny hands of stone. 

Berrios can help in the slot, And Ryan Griffin is almost as dangerous as Herndon at TE. See 2019.

• Upvote 3

Yeah initial returns on Cager not great, but he has time to turn things around. An hour or two every day on JUGS machine can help. If Mims comes back relatively soon we will hopefully be OK. Hopefully Vyncint is back in 5 weeks and not 8.

• Upvote 1

i said it before but imo it's not logical to consider only the wr's when thinking about the jets passing game.  the te's should factor in pretty highly and so should bell and gore.  right now they have 4 good wr's in perriman, crowder, mims and berrios.  if those guys stay healthy then all should be okay.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

The hands stuff with Cager really surprises me.  I thought he was a natural hands catcher at Georgia.  I thought at times he lacked quickkness and struggled to gain separation, but caught everything thrwon his way.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

The hands stuff with Cager really surprises me.  I thought he was a natural hands catcher at Georgia.  I thought at times he lacked quickkness and struggled to gain separation, but caught everything thrwon his way.

The bigger football in the NFL always has more of an impact than people think.  The ball looks bigger in a very tangible way, even if people dispute it by saying its not that much bigger.  

I imagine he'll get used to it.  He'll never have tremendous hands because his hands are decidedly small for his size.  But he'll get look a lot better over time, I imagine.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ganggreen305 said:

Thoughts?  Don't ban me!

CaneJet from Miami!

People have been regularly taking about Cager. 

Sounds like he has small stone-like hands, which is why he's not getting any positive pub. now.

Welcome to JN (posting).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ganggreen305 said:

Thoughts?  Don't ban me!

CaneJet from Miami!

Well first welcome to the site.   I heard more about Jeff Smith making a case to make the team.   Not so much about Cager and Campbell.   Berrios is more a special teams guy, but can fill in for situational plays.   Mims needs to get back sooner than later, we just can't seem to pick healthy 2nd round receivers.  

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Likewise. I’m not getting it.

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

Berrios can help in the slot, And Ryan Griffin is almost as dangerous as Herndon at TE. See 2019.

I don’t know about the second part of your message but agree about Berrios.  He and Sam showed some chemistry last year

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Especially cause Fromm was light years better with cager!

I gave you a down vote because it was your 1st post as sort of a newby hazing ritual. Sorry.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I gave you a down vote because it was your 1st post as sort of a newby hazing ritual. Sorry.

You heartless bastard.

• Haha 3

I'm surprised by Cager. He seemed to catch with his hands, and didn't have a big drop issue in college. I thought his main problem was route stems because he did the "Stephen Hill high jump" on everything for catching a ball, limiting his YAC.

It really sucks they cancelled pre-season games.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah initial returns on Cager not great, but he has time to turn things around. 

After two or so practices, yeah he does.

32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Likewise. I’m not getting it.

Well, lets consider.  In his last season he only had 33 catches for 476 yards total, with less than 1,000 yards in his entire college career.  And he had a history of injuries.  There is a reason he went undrafted, after all.

Catching balls from Jake Fromm, not know for throwing particularly hard passes.  Lets be honest, as much as I liked Fromm as a backup to Sam during the draft, he's a bit of a weak-armed QB known for throwing catching balls, especially to Cager.  Maybe those two juts fit, pass and catch wise.

In the Pros, Cager is playing with a larger ball, and receiving passes from a materially stronger armed QB not particularly know for touch or subtlety in his passes.

It may just be an issue where he has to get used to the harder passes with a larger ball, or it may be his hands were over-stated at the college level.  Everything moves faster and harder in the pros.  Some guys don;t make that transition well.

Give it time, it's early(ish) still.      

• Upvote 1

The good news for Cager fans is that the Jets should have no problem stashing him on their practice squad, if that's what they want to do. Without a eureka moment very soon, there's almost no chance he makes the roster. At least one Jets' opening day WR is currently trying to latch on with another team. 

• Like 1

Where’d the Cager obsession come from? I know we have gotten excited about preseason All-Pro’s (see David Clowney, among others), but those guys actually flashed in games. Cager hasn’t even had a stand out play or practice yet. Weird. 

5 hours ago, Dinamite said:

5 hours ago, Drums said:

Ouch. As a WR, you have one job haha

Yeah, a little concerning.  If you've played high school football and college football and you're now in a NFL training camp and can't catch....that's a big problem.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Turns out that Cager has tiny hands of stone. 

Those would be called pebbles.

1 hour ago, slats said:

The good news for Cager fans is that the Jets should have no problem stashing him on their practice squad, if that's what they want to do. Without a eureka moment very soon, there's almost no chance he makes the roster. At least one Jets' opening day WR is currently trying to latch on with another team. 

Yes, the WR5 probably isn't on this roster right now.... at least while Vyncint Smith is out for a couple months.

• Upvote 1

Philadelphia Eagles Trade WR Alshon Jeffery

26 OF 32

38e8586f6d7bfaa14fc7b5137345ecc6_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top
Brynn Anderson/Associated Press

Proposed Deal: The Philadelphia Eagles trade WR Alshon Jeffery to the New York Jets for a 2022 sixth-round draft pick. 

The Philadelphia Eagles will probably take anything another team offers to rid themselves of veteran wide receiver Alshon Jeffery.

First, Jeffery's contract is burdensome. The organization can save $9.91 million if another franchise is willing to take on his base salary. Second, his standing in the locker room may have taken a major hit last season when he reportedly leaked unflattering comments about the team and its quarterback.

The Eagles should pave the way for their young targets—J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Greg Ward, John Hightower and this year's first-round pick, Jalen Reagor—instead of letting Jeffery take away valuable reps.

If there's one general manager who will know where Jeffery really stands, it's the New York Jets' Joe Douglas, who previously served as the Eagles vice president of player personnel. Plus, the Jets should take advantage of the potential to add another weapon around Sam Darnold.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The bigger football in the NFL always has more of an impact than people think.  The ball looks bigger in a very tangible way, even if people dispute it by saying its not that much bigger.  

I imagine he'll get used to it.  He'll never have tremendous hands because his hands are decidedly small for his size.  But he'll get look a lot better over time, I imagine.

I think another factor is Fromm didn't really put much zip on his passes. Probably a lot different coming from Sam

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Philadelphia Eagles Trade WR Alshon Jeffery

26 OF 32

38e8586f6d7bfaa14fc7b5137345ecc6_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top
Brynn Anderson/Associated Press

Proposed Deal: The Philadelphia Eagles trade WR Alshon Jeffery to the New York Jets for a 2022 sixth-round draft pick. 

The Philadelphia Eagles will probably take anything another team offers to rid themselves of veteran wide receiver Alshon Jeffery.

First, Jeffery's contract is burdensome. The organization can save $9.91 million if another franchise is willing to take on his base salary. Second, his standing in the locker room may have taken a major hit last season when he reportedly leaked unflattering comments about the team and its quarterback.

The Eagles should pave the way for their young targets—J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, Greg Ward, John Hightower and this year's first-round pick, Jalen Reagor—instead of letting Jeffery take away valuable reps.

If there's one general manager who will know where Jeffery really stands, it's the New York Jets' Joe Douglas, who previously served as the Eagles vice president of player personnel. Plus, the Jets should take advantage of the potential to add another weapon around Sam Darnold.

Coming off a foot injury. Not sure how healthy he is now.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well, lets consider.  In his last season he only had 33 catches for 476 yards total, with less than 1,000 yards in his entire college career.  And he had a history of injuries.  There is a reason he went undrafted, after all.

Catching balls from Jake Fromm, not know for throwing particularly hard passes.  Lets be honest, as much as I liked Fromm as a backup to Sam during the draft, he's a bit of a weak-armed QB known for throwing catching balls, especially to Cager.  Maybe those two juts fit, pass and catch wise.

In the Pros, Cager is playing with a larger ball, and receiving passes from a materially stronger armed QB not particularly know for touch or subtlety in his passes.

It may just be an issue where he has to get used to the harder passes with a larger ball, or it may be his hands were over-stated at the college level.  Everything moves faster and harder in the pros.  Some guys don;t make that transition well.

Give it time, it's early(ish) still.      

This

9 hours ago, Larz said:

No excuses

Sam has to win 2 playoff games this year 

you will not laugh full metal jacket GIF

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

red alert GIF

@Paradis

lol, the jets looking the sign my least favorite WR?  Pencil, nay, tattoo him in.

• Haha 1