Becton vs. Jenkins

KRL

6 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Ali woulda busted his 

No one trained harder, fought harder, was tougher (fought with a nose that was split in half, literally), had more respect for boxing and his opponents, did more with what little he was given, had more integrity or hit harder than Rocky Marciano. You shouldn't be so dismissive. 

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, johnnysd said:

As a LT it is very likely Fant is more dominant right now than Becton. It is not an insult to put him at RT where not only will he be more effective but also allow for a dominant right side for the run.

Where's the proof Fant would be more dominant at LT than Becton? I'm pretty sure he didn't start much at Seattle, and is a converted TE.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

No one trained harder, fought harder, was tougher (fought with a nose that was split in half, literally), had more respect for boxing and his opponents, did more with what little he was given, had more integrity or hit harder than Rocky Marciano. You shouldn't be so dismissive. 

Ali would not have tried the “Rope-a-Dope” with Marciano. Guy hit like a freight train and never tired. That said, Ali’s reach and jab would have frustrated Rocky. Tough to get in close.....  Ali also had 20 lbs. on him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ali would not have tried the “Rope-a-Dope” with Marciano. Guy hit like a freight train and never tired. That said, Ali’s reach and jab would have frustrated Rocky. Tough to get in close.....  Ali also had 20 lbs. on him.

Yeah, I'm not saying he would have beaten him at all, but there's a certain amount of respect to be paid to a fighter like Rocky.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Marciano KO's Ali round 8. That is all.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:41 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

When I was in college... well attempting it.  (I've always had a bad relationship with higher education.)  I had an old codgy Korean war vet as my Creative Writing teacher.  This Mr. Chips-style character I practically worshiped was also my career counselor and we talked a lot.  And I just loved old time boxing stories.  Anyway.  The old guy told me that he had seen some great fights when he was younger.  And one of Rocky Marciano's early bouts before he turned pro he had seen in Portland.  He was in an amateur boxing competition at Jatzen Beach, a large amusement park/dance hall area near the Columbia River.  Mr Chips said that during one of the bouts, Marciano punched a guy so hard he knocked him out of the ring completely.  Where he landed totally out like a light bulb.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

When I was in college... well attempting it.  (I've always had a bad relationship with higher education.)  I had an old codgy Korean war vet as my Creative Writing teacher.  This Mr. Chips-style character I practically worshiped was also my career counselor and we talked a lot.  And I just loved old time boxing stories.  Anyway.  The old guy told me that he had seen some great fights when he was younger.  And one of Rocky Marciano's early bouts before he turned pro he had seen in Portland.  He was in an amateur boxing competition at Jatzen Beach, a large amusement park/dance hall area near the Columbia River.  Mr Chips said that during one of the bouts, Marciano punched a guy so hard he knocked him out of the ring completely.  Where he landed totally out like a light bulb.

Thanks for sharing that. I love Rocky Marciano stories.