Jets “deeply involved” in trade talks for Yannick

Rhg1084

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which makes it WORSE than the Adams situation in terms of finances.  We'd have to pay Ngakoue after the 2020 season or let him walk for nothing but a comp pick.  With Adams we could have waited several years before paying him.  

We have the money to make that happen if need be, but it doesn't make the decision to give up a high pick for Ngakoue any easier.

JD made the right decision trading Adams now while he was still at the peak of his value.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

Find me a comp - someone who was an outlier through 4 seasons and then fell off. 

• Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila:  49 sacks his first 4 seasons, 24 his final 4 seasons
  • Robert Quinn:  40 sacks his first 3 seasons, 35.5 sacks his last 5 seasons
  • Shawne Merriman:  39.5 Sacks his first 3 seasons, 6.0 in his final 5 seasons
  • Mike Rucker:  36.5 sacks his first 4 seasons, 19 his final 4 seasons
  • Chris Long:  38 sacks his first 4 seasons, 28 his final 6 seasons
  • Charles Grant:  27.5 sacks his first 3 seasons, 19.5 his final 5 seasons
  • Grant Wistrom:  30 sacks his first 4 seasons, 23.5 his final 5 seasons
  • Roosevelt Colvin:  24 sacks his first 3 seasons, 26.5 sacks his final 6 seasons
  • Kevin Williams:  31 sacks his first 4 seasons, 32 sacks his final 9 seasons
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, JTJet said:

Is this new age lingo for..."We suck as reporters and sourced our info from unverified tweets" ?

And in trying to break stories, for you the fan, sometimes theres a price to pay

Dont blame the sports tweeters.  

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which makes it WORSE than the Adams situation in terms of finances.  We'd have to pay Ngakoue after the 2020 season or let him walk for nothing but a comp pick.  With Adams we could have waited several years before paying him.  

We have the money to make that happen if need be, but it doesn't make the decision to give up a high pick for Ngakoue any easier.

If you think Adams would've played a down if he didn't get a contact next offseason you'd be very mistaken. His contact would have had to happen next offseason at the latest.  Same as Ngakoue 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If you think Adams would've played a down if he didn't get a contact next offseason you'd be very mistaken. His contact would have had to happen next offseason at the latest.  Same as Ngakoue 

The CBA doesn't allow players to hold out, essentially.  If he sat out a season, he would have merely been fined a ton of money and had his free agency pushed back a year.

Would he have caused problems and perhaps sat out some games with bogus injuries?  Absolutely.  But holding out would not have been possible for him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'd have been fine with that price. Guess the Jets really weren't interested.

No doubt.   They must know that Zuniga is a sleeping giant and the day he's healthy (that will be a first) he's going to also put up pedestrian numbers and demand to be paid for it!

23 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'd have been fine with that price. Guess the Jets really weren't interested.

Its completely clear if we make ANY move at this point it has to involve a wide receiver. I'm fine that we didnt pull the trigger on this. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sounds like the conditional could be a third (presumably if he re-signs.)

The 5th becomes a 4th if he makes the Pro Bowl this year. It becomes a 3rd if he makes the Pro Bowl AND the Vikes win the Superbowl.

Just now, mrcoops said:

The 5th becomes a 4th if he makes the Pro Bowl this year. It becomes a 3rd if he makes the Pro Bowl AND the Vikes win the Superbowl.

Interesting. Really just a win now move I guess -- I still imagine they plan to re-sign him but they won't have a ton of leverage. I'd imagine the 2nd year tag would be too high.

I will say for the Vikings though, they've got a pretty scary pass rush with Danielle Hunter (who might be the best defender in the NFL right now) and now Yannick.  That's a lot of pressure from guys who can get the ball loose when they do get to the QB.

Considering Ngakoue's age, position and production I would've
made that trade.  So I'm disappointed Douglas didn't pull the
trigger.  But as I look at what JAX got for a 25 year old pass
rusher it shocks me that we got more in the Adams trade

On 8/21/2020 at 3:43 PM, Jetsfan80 said:
  • Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila:  49 sacks his first 4 seasons, 24 his final 4 seasons
  • Robert Quinn:  40 sacks his first 3 seasons, 35.5 sacks his last 5 seasons
  • Shawne Merriman:  39.5 Sacks his first 3 seasons, 6.0 in his final 5 seasons
  • Mike Rucker:  36.5 sacks his first 4 seasons, 19 his final 4 seasons
  • Chris Long:  38 sacks his first 4 seasons, 28 his final 6 seasons
  • Charles Grant:  27.5 sacks his first 3 seasons, 19.5 his final 5 seasons
  • Grant Wistrom:  30 sacks his first 4 seasons, 23.5 his final 5 seasons
  • Roosevelt Colvin:  24 sacks his first 3 seasons, 26.5 sacks his final 6 seasons
  • Kevin Williams:  31 sacks his first 4 seasons, 32 sacks his final 9 seasons

Very impressed with this answer!

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2020 at 2:13 PM, playtowinthegame said:

Logan Ryan views himself as a safety, not a cb, which makes the Jets an unlikely fit. Jets aren't interested in Jadeveon Clowney, and it's unlikely they'll trade for Yannick Ngakoue. There will be no more splashy signings.

I was wrong as soon as JD won the  Donte Moncrief sweepstakes.

• Haha 1

After everything you’ve heard about how the offense looks in training camp would you make this move?

He’s going to be a free agent after the season so it’s 100 percent a win now move. Everything the Jets have done this offseason has been with an eye towards 2021. 

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

After everything you’ve heard about how the offense looks in training camp would you make this move?

He’s going to be a free agent after the season so it’s 100 percent a win now move. Everything the Jets have done this offseason has been with an eye towards 2021. 

JD is not concerned with winning this year!

• Upvote 1

Just now, ljr said:

The More accurate statement is

JD is more concerned with winning this decade than he is with winning this year

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Fair enough.  He's certainly thinking long-term,  for better or worse that's his plan.  

Nothing he's done this off-season says he has any concern whatsoever about putting together a competitive roster this season.  That's all I've been saying.

2 hours ago, GreekJet said:

I’d say 2022. Last year of the additional 1st rd picks  Should have our WR core fully staffed at that point and a good deep RB group completed. Sammy on 5th year.