Jump to content
Rhg1084

Jets “deeply involved” in trade talks for Yannick

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

Can you compare those with Vernon Gholston's numbers? Just interested in how much actually playing football matters.

That's your warning. Mention  that name again and @Maxman will put you in the cooler for a week.😁

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It reminds me of the Van Roten situation where the deal was supposedly dead right before it went through. There are two issues afoot: paying Jacksonville and then appeasing Ngakoue’s agent, and it’s the agent that’s whining about this. I’d imagine Douglas is wielding a lot of leverage over him considering Ngakoue’s choices are 1. Remain holding out in Jax with no money coming in and taking fines, or 2. Come play for Gregg Williams on the tag with the promise of a nice extension next January. 

You think Marrone is playing his "I hate the Jets" card?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, and just hear me out on this, we can pretend they are good, based on no evidence, and be really sad when week 1 arrives and they are still awful.

Super bowl, you guys

At some point one of these GM's we hire is going to need to address the fact that we are never good at the premium positions on an NFL football team. We need a legitimate pass rush. We never have one. I'm not saying Yannick is or isn't the guy we should be targeting but this is such an important need on a football team. Jordan Jenkins and Terrell Basham are useful players. But they aren't difference makers. 


Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Ok so sign Ryan and or Clowney to a one year deal

👍 to one year deals.

Use the CAP and sign a Clowney or Everson Griffen...and Logan Ryan.  Also either Paul Richardson or Demaryius Thomas for wideout depth.

It all comes off the books after  year's end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dcat said:

no worries.  I won't be disappointed.  Signing him makes no sense without a log-term deal anyway.  Conveniently ignored by all on this site.  

I'll agree with you about that.  If he could have locked him up long term it was certainly a possibility.  JD does eventually want to win - so if he could have gotten him cheap and signed him long term it might make sense...but no way does he risk at least a 2nd rounder for a throw away year and then not be able to sign him long term.

There would be ZERO logic to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

 

Alrighty then nvm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-trade-for-jaguars-de-yannick-ngakoue-isn-t-imminent

Training Camp Buzz: Trade for Jaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue isn't imminent

Published: Aug 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM
 

NFLShield

Around the NFL Staff

nfl.com

 

The Jaguars are open to trading Yannick Ngakoue. They're also open to keeping him. Just don't expect either development to materialize anytime soon.

Amid buzz that Ngakoue is about to be moved, possibly to the New York Jets, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported a deal isn't impending. "I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but as of now, no trade is imminent or close," Rapoport said. "And several of the teams that are reported to be involved, including the Jets, are not actually involved. There could be a market, I know the Jaguars have had certainly some interest in trading Yannick Ngakoue, it's something they would absolutely consider for the right price. You look at this guy, he's young, he's a pass rusher, premier position, he makes a lot of money, which makes it hard for a lot of teams to take on in a pandemic but the price is going to be high. You're looking at probably a second-round pick or better."

The fifth-year pass rusher is still seeking his own price for his services. He's the league's lone player to not sign his franchise tender ($17.8 million) and has been adamant about not wanting to play in Jacksonville anymore. Rapoport noted that Ngakoue recently signed with a new agency and therefore could mend fences with Jags management. "They've had kind of a reboot. It will be interesting to see if at the end of all this, after public vows to not play for the Jaguars, we will see if he ends up going back and deciding to get paid rather than not get paid. All options are still on the table, but nothing is imminent for one of the best players still unsigned."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-trade-for-jaguars-de-yannick-ngakoue-isn-t-imminent

Training Camp Buzz: Trade for Jaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue isn't imminent

Published: Aug 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM
 

NFLShield

Around the NFL Staff

nfl.com

 

The Jaguars are open to trading Yannick Ngakoue. They're also open to keeping him. Just don't expect either development to materialize anytime soon.

Amid buzz that Ngakoue is about to be moved, possibly to the New York Jets, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported a deal isn't impending. "I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but as of now, no trade is imminent or close," Rapoport said. "And several of the teams that are reported to be involved, including the Jets, are not actually involved. There could be a market, I know the Jaguars have had certainly some interest in trading Yannick Ngakoue, it's something they would absolutely consider for the right price. You look at this guy, he's young, he's a pass rusher, premier position, he makes a lot of money, which makes it hard for a lot of teams to take on in a pandemic but the price is going to be high. You're looking at probably a second-round pick or better."

The fifth-year pass rusher is still seeking his own price for his services. He's the league's lone player to not sign his franchise tender ($17.8 million) and has been adamant about not wanting to play in Jacksonville anymore. Rapoport noted that Ngakoue recently signed with a new agency and therefore could mend fences with Jags management. "They've had kind of a reboot. It will be interesting to see if at the end of all this, after public vows to not play for the Jaguars, we will see if he ends up going back and deciding to get paid rather than not get paid. All options are still on the table, but nothing is imminent for one of the best players still unsigned."

Agent spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Show me his more current numbers, and I'll shut up about it.  Until then, I'll consider it a concern.  

yannick-ngakoue-ras-13105.png?resize=806

Look, athleticism is important because it's highly predictive; it's exceedingly rare for players with these numbers to put up consistently strong stats and play as a pass rusher.

But predictive and rare don't mean that it's impossible for someone with Ngakoue's athleticism to be an elite DE - just that you shouldn't expect it. He's had enough of a sample size in the NFL to be pretty certain that he's an outlier. He's played 63 games over 4 seasons, and has been remarkably consistent. At least 8 sacks per year, every year (high of 12 in 2017). Roughly 30 tackles per year (high of 41 last year). Typically 4 forced fumbles a year (4-6-0-4). The odds that he'd fall off a cliff here are low; you're going to get what you pay for on this next contract, as long as you aren't expecting a 15-sack-per-year guy

The DeMarcus Lawrence comp is a bad one, btw. Lawrence has been very inconsistent - his sack totals over his first 6 years in the league went 0-8-1-14.5-10.5-5. He's very up and down

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, choon328 said:

I think we've established that this wasn't real.  I think reading would help you. 

Reading would help me?

Might as well just come off with a smarmy comment

Thanks for the suggestion, whatever makes you feel good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Contrary to a recent report, the Jaguars are not close to trading Yannick Ngakoue, according to GM Dave Caldwell (Twitter link via Alex Marvez of SiriusXM). 

Well you know this is true bc typically when GM's are in talks to trade a player they announce it on a radio show before the trade is completed.  It's actually more telling that he went on a radio show to quiet the rumors. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jet Nut said:

Reading would help me?

Might as well just come off with a smarmy comment

Thanks for the suggestion, whatever makes you feel good.  

Had you actually read the previous posts you would've seen that I admitted already that the tweet I posted was wrong.  That's why reading would have helped in this case.  Your comment to me was unnecessary. Have a good day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Look, athleticism is important because it's highly predictive; it's exceedingly rare for players with these numbers to put up consistently strong stats and play as a pass rusher.

But predictive and rare don't mean that it's impossible for someone with Ngakoue's athleticism to be an elite DE - just that you shouldn't expect it. He's had enough of a sample size in the NFL to be pretty certain that he's an outlier. He's played 63 games over 4 seasons, and has been remarkably consistent. At least 8 sacks per year, every year (high of 12 in 2017). Roughly 30 tackles per year (high of 41 last year). Typically 4 forced fumbles a year (4-6-0-4). The odds that he'd fall off a cliff here are low; you're going to get what you pay for on this next contract, as long as you aren't expecting a 15-sack-per-year guy

The DeMarcus Lawrence comp is a bad one, btw. Lawrence has been very inconsistent - his sack totals over his first 6 years in the league went 0-8-1-14.5-10.5-5. He's very up and down

 

Outlier thru his first 4 seasons:  Yes.

Outlier for the remainder of his career?  Yet to be seen.  Guys with freakish athleticism tend to last longer and have a longer prime.  To me, it's not a great bet to make to give up a high pick PLUS a mega deal for a guy who simply isn't close to being in that category.

And Lawrence's inconsistency is precisely due to the problem I am suggesting here.  He's not a great comp to Ngakoue, no.  But he's evidence of the problem with banking on an "outlier" pass rusher that both of these guys are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All caught up don't think it's happening.

Don't really want him but I wouldn't kick him out of bed for Jordan Jenkins.

 I'm not upset about this being a developmental year. I mean c'mon if there was a year to be as prudent as possible this is it.

No tears for the 2020 season here.

BOSGjTrCQAINqIm.jpg.cefa60bf1b974ddc01234a4db930c95a.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Would rather trade for Yannick Noah!

 

I'm with you ... Yannick Noah's won a championship! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so trade not "imminent," but Jax is tanking and they are still very motivated to trade him before the season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-trade-for-jaguars-de-yannick-ngakoue-isn-t-imminent

Training Camp Buzz: Trade for Jaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue isn't imminent

Published: Aug 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM
 

NFLShield

So they're saying a non-trade is imminent!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's because JD is no pushover like Macc or even that clown Tannenbaum. JD sticks to his guns & you can just tell he doesn't give a f*ck was a bunch of nerd fans like us are saying on Jetnation or the twitter. 

I see JD as a strong negotiator BUT FAIR. I don't see him as a guy that goes back & forth with anyone in some ridiculous fashion. I see him as a guy that has an end game & doesn't waste time, especially his own. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW out of Jacksonville, I've been listening to sports radio all day, all the local guys who have the inside beat are saying Lombardi is absolutely full of it and nothing is imminent at all.  They've been maintaining for a while that no deal is going to go down at all, so we'll see if that plays out but doesnt sound like anything is near close.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing the way Joe Douglas operates, if a trade happens you won't hear about it until it's actually completed.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW out of Jacksonville, I've been listening to sports radio all day, all the local guys who have the inside beat are saying Lombardi is absolutely full of it and nothing is imminent at all.  They've been maintaining for a while that no deal is going to go down at all, so we'll see if that plays out but doesnt sound like anything is near close.

 

 

Jets said the same thing about Adams, right up until the day he was traded. Then we find out they were working on for weeks. Has to be something going on, or not.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Had you actually read the previous posts you would've seen that I admitted already that the tweet I posted was wrong.  That's why reading would have helped in this case.  Your comment to me was unnecessary. Have a good day. 

Maybe you need to understand that sometimes you respond to only the posts you read.  That you realized the tweet was bs after you put it out there would lead to people commenting on the tweet.  Its not on us to read the entire thread before commenting on a post.  Time to put your big boy pants on and not take it as a personal affront.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

👍 to one year deals.

Use the CAP and sign a Clowney or Everson Griffen...and Logan Ryan.  Also either Paul Richardson or Demaryius Thomas for wideout depth.

It all comes off the books after  year's end.

Griffen already signed with the Cowboys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Knowing the way Joe Douglas operates, if a trade happens you won't hear about it until it's actually completed.

@Manish

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      145,962
    • Total Posts
      4,550,232

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...