Mehta: Jets to work out Receiver Moncrief

moncrief.jpg

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is reporting that Gang Green is looking to veteran receiver Donte Moncrief as a possible option to add some veteran depth to a group that’s in dire need of some.  The 6′ 2” Moncrief would give the Jets another speedy receiver as he has been clocked as fast as 4.4 leading up to the NFL draft.

From earlier:

Jets plan on working out free-agent WR Donte Moncrief.

NYJ looking to help their thin WR corps https://t.co/k1xUO9bSaL

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) August 19, 2020

Moncrief has spent time with the Colts, Jaguars, Panthers and Steelers.  In 77 career contests, Moncrief has logged 204 catches for 2,561 yards and 21 touchdowns.  His best season came in 2018 with the Jaguars when he went for 48/668/3 with the Jaguars.

Moncrief played just 8 games in 2019 in a season that was split between the Panthers and Steelers in a year that saw him catch only 4 passes for 18 yards.

The post Mehta: Jets to work out Receiver Moncrief appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
cF7B3-jULls

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

I'll preface this by saying I really like what Joe Douglas has been doing overall.  But, it's very troubling that 4 weeks before the start of the season he's signing WR Chris Hogan and bringing Donte Moncrief in for a workout.  Everyone and their mother knew that OLine and WR were the two biggest problems for the Jets this past offseason and the two most important things to fix around their hopeful young QB.  I excused last season's panic signing of Ryan Kalil at Center because the Jets were in dire straits on the OLine.  But Douglas has been here for about 15 months now....this isn't inspiring confidence at the moment.  Yes, I know... he can't control injuries.... just like last year.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll preface this by saying I really like what Joe Douglas has been doing overall.  But, it's very troubling that 4 weeks before the start of the season he's signing WR Chris Hogan and bringing Donte Moncrief in for a workout.  Everyone and their mother knew that OLine and WR were the two biggest problems for the Jets this past offseason and the two most important things to fix around their hopeful young QB.  I excused last season's panic signing of Ryan Kalil at Center because the Jets were in dire straits on the OLine.  But Douglas has been here for about 15 months now....this isn't inspiring confidence at the moment.  Yes, I know... he can't control injuries.... just like last year.

Working out WRs does not automatically equate to panic moves.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%.  Just saying that the current WR situation isn't inspiring confidence at the moment.  Thank goodness Perriman is reportedly looking very good so far in Camp.

Agreed but that was going to be the case regardless.  We knew all of that already.  Even if we'd signed Anderson AND Perriman AND drafted a 2nd WR it would still be one of the worst WR groups in the league.

Moncrief is talented, but he is the definition of hot and cold.

He can look like an All-Pro at one minute, and like a camp body the next.

He has had some success in the league, but he's maddenly inconsistent.  Capable of catching anything, equally capable of dropping anything.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Niners are signing absolute Jags at receiver right now. That cupboard is bare, I guess.

Agreed.  They signed Jaron Brown, JJ Nelson and Tavon Austin in the last couple weeks.  Maybe once some camp cuts start happening something half way decent shakes loose.   

13 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He has had some success in the league, but he's maddenly inconsistent.  Capable of catching anything, equally capable of dropping anything.

He’s still exactly like he was at Ole’ Miss.   That’s why he was pushed down into the 3rd round.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Moncrief is another guy like Meachem and Chris Conley that I really liked coming out.  Great size/speed prospect.  Like the other two, he never really put it together.  He'd be an interesting guy to have in and I'm sure he would be fairly cheap.  

For those all upset that the Jets are still looking at WR, relax.  They are probably running on multiple fields right now.  They need extra bodies to keep the QBs working and just in case there are other injuries.  It isn't an indication that our current situation is so dire.  We knew they weren't golden at WR to begin with.

For those wishing we had drafted Duvernay or kept Burnett, keep in mind those guys are primarily slots.  The Jets are set at slow with Crowder and have Berrios to fill in.  Those two guys will have a tough time moving outside.  Burnett offers nothing on specials, so when the roster cut-downs come, guys like Vyncint and Jeff Smith both have a leg up on him.  The may thing that having Moncrief in tells me is that a Demaryius Thomas reunion is looking less and less likely.

26 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Agreed. He’s a Mississippi boy. Watched him in college a lot. Followed his career with the Colts but kind of forgot about him when he left Indy. Still a guy who can give you decent numbers imo. 6 or 7 TD’s isnt out of the realm of possibility for him. He’s done it a few times. Still only 27.

• Upvote 1

Moncrief obviously isnt an inspiring name, neither is Hogan but that's what you get without a trade this time of the year.  I just keep telling myself that Herndon really is a joker type TE and when Griffin his healthy (anyone know that time frame btw?) that Herndon would probably be the 4th WR in those type of sets and we'll just see a ton of Crowder/Perriman/Mims.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agreed. He’s a Mississippi boy. Watched him at college a lot. Followed his career with the Colts but kind of forgot about him when he left Indy. Still a guy who can give you decent numbers imo.

Yeah, I've always liked him and would like the Jets to sign him. But he would inevitably have us all kicking the TV at some points this year.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%.  Just saying that the current WR situation isn't inspiring confidence at the moment.  Thank goodness Perriman is reportedly looking very good so far in Camp.

WR has been my biggest concern with the team since draft night. 

We need one of Perriman/Mims to become someone who can pass for a #1 WR almost right away.