Ryan Fitzpatrick expected to win Dolphins' QB battle over Tua Tagovailoa

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

His chit attitude leading up to the draft left a lot of execs with a bad taste in their mouths, but if he's outplaying Tua, he's outplaying Tua.  Rather give him the nod over Fitz.  

Yeah but the Dolphins still don’t know what they have from their 37 year old noodle arm qb who has never even gotten to the playoffs as a starter

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I'm doubling down, never saw it in Tua.  Still dont.  With the health concerns, it just makes me happy the Dolphins took him and even happier that they're falling into the Fitz cycle.  So fun!

We won’t know what Tua is until Fitz is out of Miami.  I wasn’t a huge fan of him in the draft but I feel sorry for the kid given the current toxic environment he’s in

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm doubling down, never saw it in Tua.  Still dont.  With the health concerns, it just makes me happy the Dolphins took him and even happier that they're falling into the Fitz cycle.  So fun!

was watching lsu/bama last year and asked these lsu fans atthe bar whatthey thought of Tua in nfl. they were confident he would be great, like another russ wilson one said.

i tol them...i dunoo, i jus t dont feel it/see it....  gets hit way too often holding  onto the ball...

42 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We won’t know what Tua is until Fitz is out of Miami.  I wasn’t a huge fan of him in the draft but I feel sorry for the kid given the current toxic environment he’s in

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

was watching lsu/bama last year and asked these lsu fans atthe bar whatthey thought of Tua in nfl. they were confident he would be great, like another russ wilson one said.

i tol them...i dunoo, i jus t dont feel it/see it....  gets hit way too often holding  onto the ball...

Kids got nice touch, throws a nice ball, but I dont see where he has this anticipation people rave about.  He gets hit, a lot.  He holds the ball way too long.  Seems to look for the big play and not just takes what the D gives him.  Threw to a lot of wide open WR's.  When he scrambles, he doesnt look like he has intention, just kind of roams.  Wilson/Watson/Murray/Jackson - these dudes run with intent.  Cant stay healthy, etc.  I just dont see it but who knows, I've been wrong once. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Kids got nice touch, throws a nice ball, but I dont see where he has this anticipation people rave about.  He gets hit, a lot.  He holds the ball way too long.  Seems to look for the big play and not just takes what the D gives him.  Threw to a lot of wide open WR's.  When he scrambles, he doesnt look like he has intention, just kind of roams.  Wilson/Watson/Murray/Jackson - these dudes run with intent.  Cant stay healthy, etc.  I just dont see it but who knows, I've been wrong once. 

i feel ya....  nuthn against him, of course...       just seems to me he won;t succed...   we'll see.,,,,

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i feel ya....  nuthn against him, of course...       just seems to me he won;t succed...   we'll see.,,,,

I hope he's just good enough to string MIA along for 5 years.  Kind of like Tannehill.  The fact that Tannehill left and instantly became a better QB was just the cherry on top.

47 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I hope he's just good enough to string MIA along for 5 years.  Kind of like Tannehill.  The fact that Tannehill left and instantly became a better QB was just the cherry on top.

instantly became a better QB who has Derrick Henry...

Tanny played a bit better than he did in 2014....

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Josh McCown

You're right he didn't start, but he did get snaps in the Eagles playoff game last season vs Seahawks after Wentz got his bell rung. If I had asked best qb to not play in a playoff game then would you choose Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jim Hart, or Archie Manning? I'd have to say Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best quarterback in the history of the league to not ever take one snap in a playoff game.

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You're right he didn't start, but he did get snaps in the Eagles playoff game last season vs Seahawks after Wentz got his bell rung. If I had asked best qb to not play in a playoff game then would you choose Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jim Hart, or Archie Manning? I'd have to say Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best quarterback in the history of the league to not ever take one snap in a playoff game.

Jim Hart started 2 playoff games:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HartJi00/gamelog/post/

Thus it comes down to Archie Manning vs Fitzpatrick, I suppose.  Archie Manning reached back to back Pro Bowls in 1978-79.  Fitzpatrick never got to a Pro Bowl.  So I'd have to go with Manning, probably.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

The way I worded the question I'd say Josh McCown is an excellent choice, but I believe Fitz is the best to never take a snap in the playoffs, and I don't see that changing for him in Miami. 

McCown? No frigin way...   

30% wins    98 tds/80INT              or  40%wins  210td/161int 

On 8/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/training-camp-buzz-ryan-fitzpatrick-expected-to-win-dolphins-qb-battle-over-tua-

Training Camp Buzz: Ryan Fitzpatrick expected to win Dolphins' QB battle over Tua Tagovailoa

Published: Aug 19, 2020 at 12:31 PM

NFLShield

Around the NFL Staff

nfl.com

Don't expect Brian Flores to name a starting quarterback soon, even if the Dolphins coach already knows who will pilot the offense in Week 1. It likely won't be the 22-year-old Miami drafted No. 5 overall in the 2020 draft but instead the 37-year-old who made the team more competitive in 2019 than anyone expected. "Brian Flores comes from the Bill Belichick school of competition," NFL Network's Mike Garafolo said. "He wouldn't declare a starting quarterback in this competition this early. But the expectation is you're looking at the starter in Ryan Fitzpatrick." Garafolo pointed to the hiring of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, who came out of retirement this year and has worked with Fitzpatrick at two previous stops (Jets, Bills). The long-term plan, of course, is to nurture Tua Tagovailoa. But the Alabama standout not starting from Day 1 isn't an indictment on his health, per Garafolo. "It's less a health thing with Tua, it's more, he's going to have to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick. It's not going to be about the hip, it's not going to be, we're going to redshirt this guy because he's not ready to go physically. It's really going to be about, let's give him the time to develop if he's not at the point to where he can beat out Fitzpatrick."

10668549_0.jpg

Not such a bad Idea to start the season with Fitz have Tua observe then when Fitz starts to falter a bit cause the team sucks throw him in there after 4-6 games to see how he does. I'm not sure what Miami is going to look like on offense I have no idea who is even on that sh*thead team anymore so if they genuinely suck why get Tua killed ? Fitz will throw for 9 million yards in the first few games then when the 4 or 5 int game comes along (and you know it will) send him in

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Heres what you dont understand, the Jets are developing a QB while the Dolphins are treading water.

While the undeveloped at this time Darnold won more.

Not sure about the point Losmeister made.  Sam and Fitz had almost identical completion percentage tds and ints.  Fitz played in more games

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sonny Jurgensen

If we are talking "never started", yes, Sonny was a better QB than Archie Manning.

But Sonny was on the team for four playoff runs, including a title in 1960 (although he didn't play), and he played in a playoff game in 1974 (not very well at that point).

Fitz has never been on a team in a playoff game.  Nor has Archie Manning.

To never even suit up for a playoff game, ever, I think is materially worse than never starting or even never playing in a playoff game, but being on the team for one (or more).  

Josh Rosen is getting some reps today.

https://www.nfl.com/news/fitzpatrick-misses-practice-for-personal-reasons-giving-more-reps-to-tua-rosen

Fitzpatrick misses practice for personal reasons, giving more reps to Tua, Rosen

Published: Aug 21, 2020 at 11:14 AM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

Ryan Fitzpatrick's absence from Friday's Dolphins practice gives Miami an early look at what might be the future a year or so from now.

More importantly, it allows the Dolphins staff to prepare for the unfortunate event in which their reliable signal-caller is no longer there to serve as a safety net behind rookie Tua Tagovailoa.

Enter: Josh Rosen.

Coach Brian Flores sounds as if he wants Rosen to take command of the offense when he's on the field, much like he wants the same out of all of his quarterbacks. That's not an issue with Fitzpatrick, and it's something Tagovailoa will work on in his first NFL season. As for Rosen, the lack of preseason games means he's going to have to prove he's picking it up on the practice field.

"He's had a lot of good moments so far," Flores said, via the Miami Herald. "We will see how it goes. Experience helps for sure. We don't have preseason games but we will try to create situations to see whether their decision making process is where he wants it to be. He's putting the work in to do that. So are all the quarterbacks.

"It's a new offense. The areas of improvement are honed in on that. Communication, in and out of the huddle, two minutes is an important part of the game. A lot of what happens in two minutes is quarterback driven. Do you need to get out of bounds? These are a lot of things [offensive coordinator] Chan Gailey will be saying to him in the helmet but the quarterback needs to know that.

"Essentially they end up becoming the coach on the field. Rosen is still a young player. Same as Tua. When to make the big throw or take the check down [are important]. We talked about that this morning. We're looking for leadership, communication, consistently making good decisions."

Tagovailoa has been known for his ability to command an offense since he was firing touchdowns as a freshman at Alabama, but the NFL is a big jump. Just ask Rosen, about whom we haven't heard much since he was unceremoniously dumped by Arizona in favor of Kyler Murray.

The two could learn something from Fitzpatrick, a veteran who is only still around in the NFL right now because he's successfully proved time and time again that he's worth a roster spot, and in some cases, a starting spot. Quarterbacks like Fitzpatrick don't put together 15-year careers in myriad starter/backup roles without taking command of a huddle.

It would help, of course, if Fitzpatrick was around to impart such wisdom on the youngsters, but Flores explained what is calling Fitzpatrick away from the field is important.

"When you are dealing with personal matters, it's case by case," Flores said. "I'm going to support my players. However much time they need with specific situations, that's what they're going to get. We all should have an understanding from that standpoint. Some things take precedent. I'm going to respect that."

Until then, it'll be up to Tagovailoa and Rosen to handle the reins -- and perhaps a third quarterback, if Fitzpatrick's absence continues into next week -- and take charge of the new-look Dolphins.

If I'm the Dolphins, I'm rooting for Rosen to win the starting job while Tua gets acclimated to the NFL. If Rosen could just get in the lineup and play competently, the fish would find themselves in a nice position at QB.