‘Super explosive’ Breshad Perriman showing Sam Darnold potential

By Brian Costello

August 19, 2020 | 8:13pm

The Jets lined up for the first play of team drills Wednesday with the offense starting at its own 20. Breshad Perriman was lined up to Sam Darnold’s left and made a move past cornerback Arthur Maulet on a short post pattern. Darnold saw Perriman flash open and delivered the ball to Perriman, who did not break stride, and ran all the way to the end zone for a would-be touchdown.

It was one play in one mid-August practice. But if you’re looking for reasons for hope around the Jets, here is one: Darnold and Perriman already look in sync. The two have connected repeatedly early in training camp and the Jets hope that can carry over into the regular season.

“It seems like those two guys have a good chemistry … very quickly,” coach Adam Gase said.

The Jets need Perriman to be Darnold’s big-play threat. With rookie Denzel Mims still unable to practice, Perriman is the Jets’ most explosive receiver.

“He’s super explosive, very explosive athlete, gets in and out of cuts,” Darnold said. “Big dude as well. So, he’s everything you want in a receiver, and again we’re just looking forward to having him this year.”

The Jets signed Perriman to a one-year, $6.5 million deal in free agency after letting Robby Anderson walk. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound receiver is trying to break through after a frustrating NFL career. A 2015 first-round pick by the Ravens, he had a career-high 36 catches for 645 yards and six touchdowns last season for the Buccaneers. Most of that production came in the final five games when he played more because of injuries to Tampa Bay’s top wideouts.

image.thumb.png.1e1b5e80153cca248665bd2eea3dba26.png

Sam Darnold and Breshad Perriman practicing Wednesday. Robert Sabo

The Jets hope Perriman will flourish with an opportunity to be the No. 1 receiver, which he has never been. They see him as more than just a deep threat.

“We told him when we were working on signing him that he’ll determine how much he’s going to do in this offense,” Gase said. “So, we don’t put limits on anybody, basically guys have to prove to me they can’t do something. When you go into this with the limited time, that can get a little dicey, but with a veteran player like this, we’re able to do more and basically get to the point where he tells us, ‘Hey, this is not my thing, let’s focus on this.’ He’s making it really easy because everything we’ve tried to do with him, he’s been able to do.”

Perriman said Darnold has made his transition to the Jets easier.

“I feel like Sam is great,” Perriman said. “His throwing ability is crazy. I love the way he throws the ball. The touch he has on the ball is unreal, like so receiver friendly. Just his personality and the way he’s able to take control of the room and the offense and the team, it’s crazy. Him being so reserved and to still have that authority when it’s time to go out there and let the bullets fly.

“Him as a quarterback, man, it’s a receiver’s dream.”

Darnold being able to bring along a new receiver comes with the comfort he is feeling on the field in his second year in Gase’s system. Gase said Darnold is doing everything faster on the field.

“I feel more comfortable,” Darnold said. “When I call a play, I [have seen] it already so I’m worried about the defense, where at this time last year I might have been worried about, ‘OK, what way is the formation? What way is the play? Where am I going?’ So I feel like I’m definitely more worried about the defense, more than I am more about what we’re doing because right when I say a play I can already envision it, already know what we’re doing. It’s a big difference from where I was at this point last year.”

Darnold’s comfort extends off the field, where he recently addressed the team, which does not come naturally to him.

“That’s definitely not, you know, my style,” Darnold said, “talking and having a speech in front of the team, but, no, I definitely feel more comfortable doing it and I had some things to say so I felt like it was the right time for me to speak up and say it. Yeah, it was definitely something that I’m continuing to get better at but, yeah, I just felt like the time was right and so I decided to speak up.”

https://nypost.com/2020/08/19/jets-breshad-perriman-showing-potential-with-sam-darnold/

image.png

image.png

image.png

BP has rarely drawn number one cb coverage consistently and beaten it.

So even if he's excellent,
That means gilmore and white etc smother BP most of these games. Other teams in the division have legit CB 1

NFL teams need like 4 or 5 weapons to win games against good defenses.

The Jets 5 would be Bell, BP, crowder and the 2 te Herndon and griffin?

It's not enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

BP has rarely drawn number one cb coverage consistently and beaten it.

So even if he's excellent,
That means gilmore and white etc smother BP most of these games. Other teams in the division have legit CB 1

NFL teams need like 4 or 5 weapons to win games against good defenses.

The Jets 5 would be Bell, BP, crowder and the 2 te Herndon and griffin?

It's not enough.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Was Mims traded?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold and Robby Anderson never had chemistry.  It's hard to have chemistry when your supposed WR1 never fights for 50/50 balls and has a career 54 % catch rate.

and could easily have the ball ripped out of his hands.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Was Mims traded?

he's a rookie from Baylor who hasn't practiced much 

what can we really expect from this dude week 1? 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold and Robby Anderson never had chemistry.  It's hard to have chemistry when your supposed WR1 never fights for 50/50 balls and has a career 54 % catch rate.

don't look at Perriman's catch rate it's lower than Robby's 

it's possible deep ball WR have lower catch rates than the Julian Edelman's of the world

I know he's still a very young veteran QB.  But  Darnold may be underrated as a QB that's capable of helping receivers develop.  That he can get them to play at a level up to their talents.   I think he helped both Robbie and Herndon.   Also TE Ryan Griffin had his best year with Darnold...and that got him an extended contract.  The injured Vyncint Smith showed promise for this year too. 

Perriman certainly seems to have a lot of confidence for this season.  And his praise for Darnold appears to be a good part of that.  Expecting Darnold to connect well with Mims...when he eventually starts practicing.  Also expect Darnold to get good receiving value out of the RB unit of Bell-Perine-Gore.

The real problem is depth at the wideout position.  Jets may not have the depth pieces to fill in for injured starters.  Hopefully this unit will add another veteran like Paul Richardson or Demaryius Thomas.  We'll see if Darnold can get enough out of the backups...for the offense to maintain competitiveness.   

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

and Perrimans catch% is somehow....LOWER.. tho Robby has  180+ more targets...

career % BELOW 50%... lasy year 52.2 to RA 54.2

i know JN is tryna make Perriman to be something he is not...   but CMON MAN!

6 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Chemistry between a QB and WR is so critical. It's great to see that Sam and Perriman are starting to show some chemistry . It's just what this offense needs. 

Guys like Brady and Rivers and Manning, true greats, do it with multiple WRs over their careers..   has more to do with QB talentthan WR talent, imho...   we'll see how good Keenan Allen look w/o Rivers

25 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

The only thing Perriman IS, today, is our projected #1 WR.

Till he shows it on the field, where it counts, that's all he is.

But that job IS his to lose at this point.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

Guys like Brady and Rivers and Manning, true greats, do it with multiple WRs over their careers..   has more to do with QB talentthan WR talent, imho...   we'll see how good Keenan Allen look w/o Rivers

Darnold hasn't played two seasons of football.  Lets compare Darnold to 3 possible HOF QBs, at least two are going in and one is the consensus GOAT

Pointless argument at this point

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

We don't know what Darnold to Perriman will look like.  We do know what Darnold to Anderson looked like, and it sucked.  No connection there.  Let's try something new, eh? 

Not every post about Perriman is a suggestion that he's going to be a Pro Bowler.  Relax.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The only thing Perriman IS, today, is our projected #1 WR.

Till he shows it on the field, where it counts, that's all he is.

But that job IS his to lose at this point.

Right on, i feel ya. And, of course, I amhoping he turns out well. I've repeatedly stated that he SHOULD be able to match RA and even supercede him... the biggest factor for me in that is Sams accuracy deep....

Just sprinkling a few facts out there...  people making him out to be some secret stud ALREADY better than RA. It's not born out in facts.

He's a 1st rounder who has underperformed his draft position significantly, the other is an UDFA who has suprised by being a decent NFL

WR 2/3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We don't know what Darnold to Perriman will look like.  We do know what Darnold to Anderson looked like, and it sucked.  No connection there.  Let's try something new, eh? 

Not every post about Perriman is a suggestion that he's going to be a Pro Bowler.  Relax.

Am donw with trying something new. And even suggested Perriman late last year. 

by your definition of sucked, every QB who played with Perriman to Perriman sucked too.

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Am donw with trying something new. And even suggested Perriman late last year. 

by your definition of sucked, every QB who played with Perriman to Perriman sucked too.

Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor, Baker Mayfield and Jameis Winston isn't exactly a murderer's row of QB's, no.

But I'm not trying to argue that Darnold is a significant upgrade from those QB's at this stage in my career, and that's why Perriman will succeed here.  Perriman sucked for a long time, no disputing that, and was very close to being a bust.  My argument is that Perriman might just be the rare WR where the lightbulb has gone on much later in his career than anticipated, but gone on nonetheless.  He's a super athletic guy who might just be seeing the rest of his game catch up.  

If you see the replay/highlights of his performance in those final 5 games last season you'll see a Perriman that is highly impressive, utilizing an extensive route tree and making every type of catch asked of him.  If that's anything close to the WR we're getting here, he'll very easily be an upgrade over Anderson.  And just a few practices in the early returns are promising.  Building a connection with Darnold very quickly is super important, especially since, like I said, Darnold never really had any meaningful connection with Anderson.  I like Perriman's chances of putting up very good WR2 type numbers in 2020. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Your posts are not just ultra negative but often just filled with just flat out crapp that you just are pulling out of your ass. Not only did he excel against number on CB coverage at the end of last year being #1 in TDs and #5 in yards over last 5 games, but PFF rated him as the 2nd best route runner in the entire NFL against man coverage so your post is just complete biased BS with no basis in reality. Maybe try to find something you like about the team your posts are just flat trolling at this point. 

And he wanted to be a scout.  lol.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Building a connection with Darnold very quickly is super important, especially since, like I said, Darnold never really had any meaningful connection with Anderson.  I like Perriman's chances of putting up very good WR2 type numbers in 2020. 

I hope so, I hope so...    it's really why I thought of this last year...

fwiw, Sam has not shown so far he is demonstrably better Winston ( i know, Evans and Godwin) 

As I sadi above, i think the QB is the larger part of a Qb/WR connection...   hoping for that leap

this was the most recent thread having anything to do w/ Sam so..

this guy did a series last year...evlauating class of 2018 qbs, week by week...   he doesn't seem to have a favorite... seems pretty well balanced...   cbs's Trapasso...     here's one i just ran across from earlier this summer.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/sam-darnold-2020-outlook-evaluating-the-jets-young-passer-and-how-he-can-take-next-step/

he does this on all the recentl drafted qbs

Previous installments in this young QB outlook project: Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Kyler Murray, Drew Lock, Jarrett Stidham, Gardner Minshew, Baker Mayfield.