Could the NFL screw this up as badly as baseball?

GreekJet

Injuries all over the place, COVID outbreaks, cancelled series, 7 inning double headers. Of course the Mets go to Miami and end up with COVID, and the Yankees can’t go a day without a player pulling a hammy. 

Season is a complete farce. What is the NFL going to do if a game needs to be rescheduled? You have a built in bye week, but if it starts to happen every week like baseball it’s going to be impossible to deal with. 

Did MLB just do a terrible job or is this impossible minus a bubble?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

20 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I don’t think anyone is going to look back on these 2020 seasons as legitimate. Only a matter of time before there’s an outbreak in football.  

Some of us don't care about that.  Some of us just need the distraction in our lives.

Don't like it, don't think it's legit, fine, don't watch it.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some of us don't care about that.  Some of us just need the distraction in our lives.

Either way-I think if the MLB owners could go turn back the clock to June they would have canceled the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Two leagues have made it work, because they went into bubbles. NHL, NBA. One sport is a disaster because they didn't go into a bubble, MLB.

So what does the NFL have in mind? Let's do it more like MLB!

I havent followed this, what is the theory on why a bubble would work? Do people think the fans are spreading it to players?

1 minute ago, CTM said:

I havent followed this, what is the theory on why a bubble would work? Do people think the fans are spreading it to players?

It’s literally a bubble where they don’t leave the compound and don’t come into contact with anyone who has no been tested.

Its pretty much impossible for the NFL to execute. 

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

Not the fans, but on essentially creating a zone of isolation, where, once all players are tested and are healthy, are kept in this isolated bubble for the duration. It would be very difficult logistically for the NFL to pull off, but it is the safest way to play.

5 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

It’s literally a bubble where they don’t leave the compound and don’t come into contact with anyone who has no been tested.

Dont leave the compound for how long? The season?

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

Dont leave the compound for how long? The season?

The NHL has had everyone in a bubble (2 separate hub cities) for about the past 3 weeks now, and that'll continue until the playoffs are done.

So far it's been successful as they've had 0 positive covid tests. Now, it's a small sample size as only 16 teams took part, but it's still a good model for how sports leagues can safely resume play, imo. It'll just be harder for players when you're looking at doing it for an entire season. It'll mean no family time. Teams will have to bond with each other.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

You've been complaining about how people view the legitimacy of the 2020 seasons (MLB and NFL) for a while now.  Seems like a sore spot.  You clearly care.

We all prefer sports to no sports.  Doesn't mean we all are going to agree that this season will "count" like a typical one.  And it doesn't mean you need to try to police how people talk about it in those terms.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

Yeah and were talking NBA & NHL with a fraction of the number of players on an NFL team.  Tell us how to do football in a bubble.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We all prefer sports to no sports.  Doesn't mean we all are going to agree that this season will "count" like a typical one.  And it doesn't mean you need to try to police how people talk about it in those terms.

But at the same time no one remembers off the top of their heads the MLBs strike/lockout WS winners.  The NFL?  

We all cry about the cheating POS Shula and the Dolphins for the Mud Bowl game and it costing us a chance at the SB.  No one says it doesnt matter, that it wouldn't have been legit because the labor dispute that season made it only a 9 game season. 

Id think that we would have taken that SB trophy and proudly called the Jets 1983 Super Bowl Champions,  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet hustle said:

Why is it impossible? 

Because when he says the players don't leave the compound, that means they don't leave at all.  The games all take place in one location.  All players are kept there across all teams.

Unless the NFL plans to move all games to one neutral location (impossible at this stage), they can't do what the NBA is doing.

45 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The NHL has had everyone in a bubble (2 separate hub cities) for about the past 3 weeks now, and that'll continue until the playoffs are done.

So far it's been successful as they've had 0 positive covid tests. Now, it's a small sample size as only 16 teams took part, but it's still a good model for how sports leagues can safely resume play, imo. It'll just be harder for players when you're looking at doing it for an entire season. It'll mean no family time. Teams will have to bond with each other.

Ahh, so it's prototype for ellysium new zealand now that the worlds economies are all tanking and winter / flu season is coming

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because when he says the players don't leave the compound, that means they don't leave at all.  The games all take place in one location.  All players are kept there across all teams.

Unless the NFL plans to move all games to one neutral location (impossible at this stage), they can't do what the NBA is doing.

Even if they did something like that where are these teams going to practice? High Schools?

It was always impossible to execute. Way too many players and needs to make a bubble work. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I don’t think anyone is going to look back on these 2020 seasons as legitimate. Only a matter of time before there’s an outbreak in football.  

IDK, I think the NHL has done a good job. No cases and really good playoff hockey actually.

3 hours ago, Hael said:

I expect the NFL to do worse than the MLB.  You are looking at team and staff sizes that are considerably larger than MLB sizes.  I just don't think its realistic to expect better.

Do worse in what regard? What does this even mean.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You've been complaining about how people view the legitimacy of the 2020 seasons (MLB and NFL) for a while now.  Seems like a sore spot.  You clearly care.

Yes, I clearly care that we have sports right now.

We all prefer sports to no sports.

Clearly the OP I responded to does not.

Doesn't mean we all are going to agree that this season will "count" like a typical one.

Of course it won't count the way a normal season would.  No one is debating that point.

And it doesn't mean you need to try to police how people talk about it in those terms.

I will say whatever it is I like, whenever I like to say it.  If you do not like it 80, the ignore feature is your best solution. I encourage it's use.