Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GreekJet

Could the NFL screw this up as badly as baseball?

Recommended Posts

Injuries all over the place, COVID outbreaks, cancelled series, 7 inning double headers. Of course the Mets go to Miami and end up with COVID, and the Yankees can’t go a day without a player pulling a hammy. 
 

Season is a complete farce. What is the NFL going to do if a game needs to be rescheduled? You have a built in bye week, but if it starts to happen every week like baseball it’s going to be impossible to deal with. 
 

Did MLB just do a terrible job or is this impossible minus a bubble?

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think anyone is going to look back on these 2020 seasons as legitimate. Only a matter of time before there’s an outbreak in football.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I don’t think anyone is going to look back on these 2020 seasons as legitimate. Only a matter of time before there’s an outbreak in football.  

Some of us don't care about that.  Some of us just need the distraction in our lives.

Don't like it, don't think it's legit, fine, don't watch it.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some of us don't care about that.  Some of us just need the distraction in our lives.

Don't like it, don't think it's legit, fine, don't watch it.  

Either way-I think if the MLB owners could go turn back the clock to June they would have canceled the season. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two leagues have made it work, because they went into bubbles. NHL, NBA. One sport is a disaster because they didn't go into a bubble, MLB.

So what does the NFL have in mind? Let's do it more like MLB!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Two leagues have made it work, because they went into bubbles. NHL, NBA. One sport is a disaster because they didn't go into a bubble, MLB.

So what does the NFL have in mind? Let's do it more like MLB!

I havent followed this, what is the theory on why a bubble would work? Do people think the fans are spreading it to players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CTM said:

I havent followed this, what is the theory on why a bubble would work? Do people think the fans are spreading it to players?

It’s literally a bubble where they don’t leave the compound and don’t come into contact with anyone who has no been tested.

Its pretty much impossible for the NFL to execute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CTM said:

I havent followed this, what is the theory on why a bubble would work? Do people think the fans are spreading it to players?

Not the fans, but on essentially creating a zone of isolation, where, once all players are tested and are healthy, are kept in this isolated bubble for the duration. It would be very difficult logistically for the NFL to pull off, but it is the safest way to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

It’s literally a bubble where they don’t leave the compound and don’t come into contact with anyone who has no been tested.

Its pretty much impossible for the NFL to execute. 

Dont leave the compound for how long? The season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Two leagues have made it work, because they went into bubbles. NHL, NBA. One sport is a disaster because they didn't go into a bubble, MLB.

So what does the NFL have in mind? Let's do it more like MLB!

Its not the same. In football you are only traveling for 8 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Its not the same. In football you are only traveling for 8 games. 

Yea but it’s not going to stop a player from going out to dinner, contracting the virus, and spreading to teammates. 
 

 

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Yea but it’s not going to stop a player from going out to dinner, contracting the virus, and spreading to teammates. 
 

 

The NBA players are eating what looks like summer camp box lunches...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CTM said:

Dont leave the compound for how long? The season?

The NHL has had everyone in a bubble (2 separate hub cities) for about the past 3 weeks now, and that'll continue until the playoffs are done.

So far it's been successful as they've had 0 positive covid tests. Now, it's a small sample size as only 16 teams took part, but it's still a good model for how sports leagues can safely resume play, imo. It'll just be harder for players when you're looking at doing it for an entire season. It'll mean no family time. Teams will have to bond with each other.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CTM said:

I havent followed this, what is the theory on why a bubble would work? Do people think the fans are spreading it to players?

Specifically one fan ^^^^

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Some of us don't care about that.  Some of us just need the distraction in our lives.

Don't like it, don't think it's legit, fine, don't watch it.  

You've been complaining about how people view the legitimacy of the 2020 seasons (MLB and NFL) for a while now.  Seems like a sore spot.  You clearly care.

We all prefer sports to no sports.  Doesn't mean we all are going to agree that this season will "count" like a typical one.  And it doesn't mean you need to try to police how people talk about it in those terms.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

It’s literally a bubble where they don’t leave the compound and don’t come into contact with anyone who has no been tested.

Its pretty much impossible for the NFL to execute. 

Yeah and were talking NBA & NHL with a fraction of the number of players on an NFL team.  Tell us how to do football in a bubble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

It’s literally a bubble where they don’t leave the compound and don’t come into contact with anyone who has no been tested.

Its pretty much impossible for the NFL to execute. 

Why is it impossible? 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We all prefer sports to no sports.  Doesn't mean we all are going to agree that this season will "count" like a typical one.  And it doesn't mean you need to try to police how people talk about it in those terms.

But at the same time no one remembers off the top of their heads the MLBs strike/lockout WS winners.  The NFL?  

We all cry about the cheating POS Shula and the Dolphins for the Mud Bowl game and it costing us a chance at the SB.  No one says it doesnt matter, that it wouldn't have been legit because the labor dispute that season made it only a 9 game season. 

Id think that we would have taken that SB trophy and proudly called the Jets 1983 Super Bowl Champions,  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jet hustle said:

Why is it impossible? 

Because when he says the players don't leave the compound, that means they don't leave at all.  The games all take place in one location.  All players are kept there across all teams.

Unless the NFL plans to move all games to one neutral location (impossible at this stage), they can't do what the NBA is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The NHL has had everyone in a bubble (2 separate hub cities) for about the past 3 weeks now, and that'll continue until the playoffs are done.

So far it's been successful as they've had 0 positive covid tests. Now, it's a small sample size as only 16 teams took part, but it's still a good model for how sports leagues can safely resume play, imo. It'll just be harder for players when you're looking at doing it for an entire season. It'll mean no family time. Teams will have to bond with each other.

Ahh, so it's prototype for ellysium new zealand now that the worlds economies are all tanking and winter / flu season is coming

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people on each sideline?  75?  70?

150 people total per game?

And for a complete season vs a playoff tournament.  

Months compared to weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because when he says the players don't leave the compound, that means they don't leave at all.  The games all take place in one location.  All players are kept there across all teams.

Unless the NFL plans to move all games to one neutral location (impossible at this stage), they can't do what the NBA is doing.


Even if they did something like that where are these teams going to practice? High Schools?

It was always impossible to execute. Way too many players and needs to make a bubble work. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

every team has been full to at practice for weeks and no covid issues

mlb seems fine after the marlins fiasco 

Sorry to burst your negative bubble 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I don’t think anyone is going to look back on these 2020 seasons as legitimate. Only a matter of time before there’s an outbreak in football.  

IDK, I think the NHL has done a good job. No cases and really good playoff hockey actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect the NFL to do worse than the MLB.  You are looking at team and staff sizes that are considerably larger than MLB sizes.  I just don't think its realistic to expect better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hael said:

I expect the NFL to do worse than the MLB.  You are looking at team and staff sizes that are considerably larger than MLB sizes.  I just don't think its realistic to expect better.

Do worse in what regard? What does this even mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Either way-I think if the MLB owners could go turn back the clock to June they would have canceled the season. 

No, they wouldn't.  Are you daft?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You've been complaining about how people view the legitimacy of the 2020 seasons (MLB and NFL) for a while now.  Seems like a sore spot.  You clearly care.

Yes, I clearly care that we have sports right now.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We all prefer sports to no sports.

Clearly the OP I responded to does not.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn't mean we all are going to agree that this season will "count" like a typical one.

Of course it won't count the way a normal season would.  No one is debating that point.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

  And it doesn't mean you need to try to police how people talk about it in those terms.

I will say whatever it is I like, whenever I like to say it.  If you do not like it 80, the ignore feature is your best solution. I encourage it's use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...