Kim Jones asked Adam Gase about Sam Darnold

Maxman

Kim Jones, NFL Network: Adam, what are you seeing in Sam (Darnold)?
I think he’s got a lot more control of the offense this year. He’s not thinking when the play comes in, it’s just more of a reaction now for him. He’s able to just really process things so much faster. This is just typical young quarterback last year and you’re one, trying to put it all together, and trying to learn a bunch of stuff with a bunch of guys that we’re trying to learn as well. Now he’s got guys around him that are familiar with what’s going on. He doesn’t have to really worry about where everybody’s going because they know what to do. The offense line, especially this year is really, really sharp, I mean these guys are on it. They work well as a group. That’s something that I’m sure for him, he watches kind of what happens in practice and he hears those guys communicate and then you just look at the size of our offensive line, if you’re a quarterback, you’re feeling pretty good, thinking, “I got some time to throw.” So, he knows he does a good job of understanding, really the concepts of what we’re doing week in and week out, whether it be pass protection, run game or route concepts. He’s just got to deliver the ball and I’m pretty sure you guys have all seen enough to say that he can do that.

Kim Jones, NFL Network: Is his accuracy where you want it to be?
Were always going to be trying to improve. Throws to the left and to the right, we’re always kind of working on his alignment. He does have the unusual ability to kind of be in awkward positions and make some really impressive, accurate throws. Especially sometimes when you see him make throws to the left where his legs and his upper body are really tied together which, a lot of times when that happens, you’re not going to see a completed pass and he puts it exactly where you want it. So, I mean that’s just, somebody else gave him that.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

translation it's year 3 and Sam Darnold still has atrocious footwork 

he's not a rookie anymore 

im not sure that the ability to make decent arm throws all twisted up off the back foot is something to build a franchise around 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Kim Jones, NFL Network: Is his accuracy where you want it to be?
Were always going to be trying to improve. Throws to the left and to the right, we’re always kind of working on his alignment. He does have the unusual ability to kind of be in awkward positions and make some really impressive, accurate throws. Especially sometimes when you see him make throws to the left where his legs and his upper body are really tied together which, a lot of times when that happens, you’re not going to see a completed pass and he puts it exactly where you want it. So, I mean that’s just, somebody else gave him that.

and side note every time i look at 14 i see Quenton Nelson and 3 second round picks

imagine a left side of Becton and Nelson 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 8

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Bitonti have you ever watched Aaron Rodgers or Pat Mahomes play football y/n

I just want to point out you just compared Sam Darnold to "one of the greatest QB's of all time" and the most recent Super Bowl winner

and I'm the unstable/depressed one

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

im not sure that the ability to make decent arm throws all twisted up off the back foot is something to build a franchise around 

and side note every time i look at 14 i see Quenton Nelson and 3 second round picks

Joe Beningo? Is that you? Revisionist thinking on every past draft pick?

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bitonti both of those great quarterbacks rarely throw from a normal platform. Thx

rather than explain coorelation vs causation let's just say these are all different athletes. 

Mahomes is a rare athlete the son of a Major league pitcher - we both know Sam Darnold doesn't have the arm talent of Mahomes (or Josh Allen) 

So what Pat Mahomes does is on Mahomes. He's got elite gifts. Darnold doesn't have any elite gifts. 

As for Rodgers/Favre, there were many many times when this multiple platform shtick wore thin in GB 

coaches want plays to happen on a schedule. Keep the train moving they say 

1, 2, 3 ball comes out at 2 and a half

running around for seven seconds, throwing dimes into triple coverage off one's back foot is called schoolyard football and every year that goes by the league, they change the rules to favor the spread etc, that formula gets tougher to replicate 

people think I "hate" Sam Darnold I just don't think he's improved enough for this team to plan to pay him 100 million dollars and I don't think this team has any plans to do so 

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's improved enough for this team to plan to pay him 100 million dollars and I don't think this team has any plans to do so 

Yeah, I think he either earns the $100 mil this year or he gets the Dak tag situation. I think Douglas watched what happened with that mush Carson Wentz and knows the dangers of paying a half-baked QB prospect. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I think he either earns the $100 mil this year or he gets the Dak tag situation. I think Douglas watched what happened with that mush Carson Wentz and knows the dangers of paying a half-baked QB prospect. 

honest question what are you basing this "he earns it" scenario upon 

besides just homer hope? 

you're looking at it from a 14 perspective - i.e. Sam gets better and earns it

what about from the Johnson perspective? do these seem like the types who give huge signing bonuses? 

they are going to have to pay Sam Darnold like Matt Stafford that's not my opinion. Sam has the same CAA agent as Douglas and Gase and while that sounds like collusion the truth is they are going to negotiate against each other and it comes down to how much do the Johnson's want to keep Sam Darnold? 

based on how they've treated this roster over the last decade, I wouldn't hold out hope for anyone to get resigned.

I think the last 1st rd Jet to get a 2nd contract was Mo Wilkerson in 2014. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Kim’s follow-ups are always great and it’s always disappointing when she gets Gase to expound upon something interesting that even Gase clearly likes talking about, but then some hack from the Star Ledge asks “Adammmmm is camp different this yeeeear because it’s shorrrrter?” or some sh*t. 

Totally agree, she asks gets some pretty interesting answers out of him and find her questions actually elicit a thoughtful and detailed response.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Johnsons paid Rex Ryan for six years. They’re not cheap; they’re stupid.

At least they had some playoff wins to show for it as opposed to your guy Mangini who never won anything.. Ok a cameo on the Sopranos but that don't get you a playoff win..

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Great, with 43 year old Josh McCown throwing to his top two WR’s Braxton Berrios & Vyncint Smith?...imagine that indeed.

i don’t get the O-lineman fetish people have around here...at some point you need actual talent rather than fatties taking up space 

• Upvote 1

You see Quenton Nelson being drafted by Macc?? You see 3 2nd round picks drafted by Macc being contributors? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Great, with 43 year old Josh McCown throwing to his top two WR’s Braxton Berrios & Vyncint Smith?...imagine that indeed.

i don’t get the O-lineman fetish people have around here...at some point you need actual talent rather than fatties taking up space 

The team had Teddy Bridgewater that offseason 

Carolina's starting QB1 at the moment 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

rather than explain coorelation vs causation let's just say these are all different athletes. 

Mahomes is a rare athlete the son of a Major league pitcher - we both know Sam Darnold doesn't have the arm talent of Mahomes (or Josh Allen) 

So what Pat Mahomes does is on Mahomes. He's got elite gifts. Darnold doesn't have any elite gifts. 

As for Rodgers/Favre, there were many many times when this multiple platform shtick wore thin in GB 

coaches want plays to happen on a schedule. Keep the train moving they say 

1, 2, 3 ball comes out at 2 and a half

running around for seven seconds, throwing dimes into triple coverage off one's back foot is called schoolyard football and every year that goes by the league, they change the rules to favor the spread etc, that formula gets tougher to replicate 

people think I "hate" Sam Darnold I just don't think he's improved enough for this team to plan to pay him 100 million dollars and I don't think this team has any plans to do so 

Coaches want the #1 option to be open every time, 
Coaches want the offensive line to block well. 

Coaches also realize that those things don't often happen so they draft guys like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow to be their QB so the offense has a chance to be productive even when the gameplan doesn't work. 

Given the offensive line and lack of elite #1 WR, the QB you want for this team is a guy that can improvise. If you put elite Joe Flacco/Eli Manning in this offense it would be a disaster. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that's also the last time they made the playoffs

they've been cheap since

"things that happened over a decade ago"

They grossly overpaid Mo Wilkerson. Grossly overpaid for Revis II, grossly overpaid Trumaine Johnson, grossly overpaid Brian Winters, grossly overpaid both McCown and Fitzpatrick, grossly overpaid Lev Bell, grossly overpaid CJ Mosley. They’re not cheap. They’re dopes.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

And Joe Schmoe under center...

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They grossly overpaid Mo Wilkerson. Grossly overpaid for Revis II, grossly overpaid Trumaine Johnson, grossly overpaid Brian Winters, grossly overpaid both McCown and Fitzpatrick, grossly overpaid Lev Bell, grossly overpaid CJ Mosley. They’re not cheap. They’re dopes.

and yet for all that "overpayment" they haven't spent to the cap for 10 years

they splash on mercenaries like Bell and Trumaine to get them over the floor 

they are under the floor right now in fact 

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Coaches also realize that those things don't often happen so they draft guys like Mahomes, Josh Allen, Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow to be their QB so the offense has a chance to be productive even when the gameplan doesn't work. 

the only problem Darnold isn't that kind of athlete

he's OK

he's not Lamar Jackson. Burrow ran a 4.59 

Darnold is like a 4.9 guy

serious question in a footrace with all those players, who comes in last? 

even duck walking Mahomes runs faster than Darnold 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the only problem Darnold isn't that kind of athlete

he's OK

he's not Lamar Jackson. Burrow ran a 4.59 

Darnold is like a 4.9 guy

serious question in a footrace with all those players, who comes in last? 

even duck walking Mahomes runs faster than Darnold 

I've seen plenty of really fast QBs that don't have a clue how to escape pressure and make plays.

I never said Darnold would rush for 1,000 yards, I said he is very good at making plays when the pocket breaks down 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I've seen plenty of really fast QBs that don't have a clue how to escape pressure and make plays.

I never said Darnold would rush for 1,000 yards, I said he is very good at making plays when the pocket breaks down 

this entire board overrates Sam Darnold as an athlete 

you just compared him to Lamar Jackson for pete's sake