Training Camp Tweets 8/23

kdels62

53 minutes ago, slats said:

Availability > Riding a stationary bike

"OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Ravens rookie wide receivers Devin Duvernay and James Proche have been impressive throughout training camp.

Both players have caught almost every pass thrown to them. 

Duvermay and Proche have also shown exceptional speed and are poised to make a significant impact in their first year with the team either on special teams or with the offense."

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/ravens-proche-duvernay0822

I can see the argument for either player. I'm excited by Zuniga's athleticism, but his inability to get on the practice field is troubling. Meanwhile, Duvernay looks like a player out of the gate while the Jets have Jeff Smith and Josh Malone running with the ones. 

I'm all in on Joe D, but I would've liked another WR in the draft, and Duvernay in the third would've made me happy. Jets now need to field a competent WR corps, and also have these guys they took instead of another WR (Zuniga, Morgan) work out. 

We all knew Zuniga's injury concerns were legit.  If he'd have stayed healthy in college he likely would have been a late 1st rounder, even in this loaded draft class.

It's no surprise he's dealing with an injury at the moment.  But it's also not worth being overly concerned about just yet.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So we should have taken the 21st ranked WR over the 6th rated Edge at pick 79? 

Folks have been crying over the BAP draft theory and stating that Positional
value must be considered. So JD drafts a position of high value in his 1st draft. 
A few injuries happen then the 20/20 crowd says he should have drafted another WR. JD can’t win either way. “We don’t have an edge rusher... we needed another WR in round 3” 

Cant predict a thigh contusion or strain. 

WR Lynn Bowden & Bryan Edwards were taken immediately after Zuniga. Why are there no reports on these 2? Instead we cherry pick a WR drafted the 2nd most prolific scoring offense 15 picks later and say “we should have taken him”

Cant make this $h!+ up. 

I'm not complaining. As I said in the post you quoted, I could make a case for either player. The Jets have been drafting defense heavy for two decades, though, so doubling up at WR in a talent rich draft also would've been a good move. It's not like WR isn't also a premium position. 

Duvernay was the guy I liked there, for better or worse. Wasn't as keyed in on Bowden of Edwards at that point. Liked Antonio Gandy-Golden in the fourth, too, fwiw. 

I'm rooting for the guys the Jets drafted. That's what I do. But I'm not gonna pretend that I didn't want two WRs in the first four rounds going into the draft this year. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So we should have taken the 21st ranked WR over the 6th rated Edge at pick 79? 

Folks have been crying over the BAP draft theory and stating that Positional
value must be considered. So JD drafts a position of high value in his 1st draft. 
A few injuries happen then the 20/20 crowd says he should have drafted another WR. JD can’t win either way. “We don’t have an edge rusher... we needed another WR in round 3” 

Cant predict a thigh contusion or strain. 

WR Lynn Bowden & Bryan Edwards were taken immediately after Zuniga. Why are there no reports on these 2? Instead we cherry pick a WR drafted the 2nd most prolific scoring offense 15 picks later and say “we should have taken him”

Cant make this $h!+ up. 

You need to stop with all of this 20/20 hindsight bullsh*t. The only reason we are talking about Duvernay is because I mentioned him in another thread and said that is who I would of picked when we were on the clock for the Zuniga pick.

I said it today, I said it yesterday, and I said when the draft was unfolding. So take your cherrypicking bullsh*t comment and blow it out your ass.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not complaining. As I said in the post you quoted, I could make a case for either player. The Jets have been drafting defense heavy for two decades, though, so doubling up at WR in a talent rich draft also would've been a good move. It's not like WR isn't also a premium position. 

Duvernay was the guy I liked there, for better or worse. Wasn't as keyed in on Bowden of Edwards at that point. Liked Antonio Gandy-Golden in the fourth, too, fwiw. 

I'm rooting for the guys the Jets drafted. That's what I do. But I'm not gonna pretend that I didn't want two WRs in the first four rounds going into the draft this year. 

My post was meant for the original complaint. I understand your frustrations with the lack of depth at the WR position but I think JD can swing a trade for a good veteran player. A lot of talent drafted this year. Some pricey vets will be on bubble due to cap implications can be had for mid to late rd. pick. 

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he's probably going to be a pretty good player and eventually a guy that can keep the season afloat in a pinch.

BUT quarterback is the last position you take, that early, when you already have a 21 year old franchise quarterback and a ton of holes.  

Use those picks to support the guy you have.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

You need to stop with all of this 20/20 hindsight bullsh*t. The only reason we are talking about Duvernay is because I mentioned him in another thread and said that is who I would of picked when we were on the clock for the Zuniga pick.

I said it today, I said it yesterday, and I said when the draft was unfolding. So take your cherrypicking bullsh*t comment and blow it out your ass.

Snowflake, I go back to what I stated. You’d take a WR in a WR heavy draft over a pass rusher sitting there? I disagree due to positional value. Can we see what we have first before panicking and peeing your pants. Mims will be back next week by what I’m hearing. Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Hogan, Smith, Berrios and Cager is fine by me for a team looking to run 2 TE set Zone blocking scheme like the 49ers run. 
JD likes big receivers who like to block like Debo Samuel. Duverney is 5-11 and I don’t think he’s the type of player he and Gase are looking for so why are we arguing this?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yes, he's probably going to be a pretty good player and eventually a guy that can keep the season afloat in a pinch.

BUT quarterback is the last position you take, that early, when you already have a 21 year old franchise quarterback and a ton of holes.  

Use those picks to support the guy you have.

Joe Douglas didn't draft Darnold, and new regimes always mean new QB's (even backup ones).  He supported Sam with 3 of his first 5 selections (Becton, Mims, Perine), and then again with the very next pick after Morgan (Clark).  

If 4 of the first 7 picks in Douglas' first draft (all taken in the first 4 rounds) isn't enough ammo to help Darnold, then the problem will lie with Darnold, not Douglas.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

JD likes big receivers who like to block like Debo Samuel. Duverney is 5-11 and I don’t think he’s the type of player he and Gase are looking for so why are we arguing this?

Ironically my best comparison for Duvernay was Samuel and I made that comparison several times. Do you even know how Duvernay is built? The guy is built like a brick sh*thouse and runs over defenders.

And yes, for the thousanth time I would have picked another WR before the third round ended. That being Duvernay, so I still don't get your 20/20 hindsight comment. Maybe you just don't understand the meaning of the phrase.

I'm pretty sure you read the draft forum......Every poster there wanted to double or even triple dip at the WR position because our WR corps sucks and this draft was loaded with great prospects at the WR position.....edge rusher not so much. Even when healthy our defacto number 1 WR is a player who had four good games over four years. Fast forward to three weeks before the season starts and 2 of our top 3 WR's are players no one on here even had making the roster. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Ironically my best comparison for Duvernay was Samuel and I made that comparison several times. Do you even know how Duvernay is built? The guy is built like a brick sh*thouse and runs over defenders.

And yes, for the thousanth time I would have picked another WR before the third round ended. That being Duvernay, so I still don't get your 20/20 hindsight comment. Maybe you just don't understand the meaning of the phrase.

I'm pretty sure you read the draft forum......Every poster there wanted to double or even triple dip at the WR position because our WR corps sucks and this draft was loaded with great prospects at the WR position.....edge rusher not so much. Even when healthy our defacto number 1 WR is a player who had four good games over four years. Fast forward to three weeks before the season starts and 2 of our top 3 WR's are players no one on here even had making the roster. 

20/20 as related to the injuries we’ve had at the WR position. You can’t predict that. Camp cuts coming, players getting healthy and 3 weeks until Bills game. Mims, Perriman, Smith=outside speed; Cager= red zone threat; Crowder, Berrios=slot\possession

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas didn't draft Darnold, and new regimes always mean new QB's (even backup ones).  He supported Sam with 3 of his first 5 selections (Becton, Mims, Perine), and then again with the very next pick after Morgan (Clark).  

If 4 of the first 7 picks in Douglas' first draft (all taken in the first 4 rounds) isn't enough ammo to help Darnold, then the problem will lie with Darnold, not Douglas.

Meanwhile there aren't any receivers on the team, but our fourth string quarterback is looking good! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

This is huge but it will be glossed over or made political.
The testing is not reliable:

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes 9m

Adam Gase said the #Jets got 10 false-positive tests yesterday.

Connor Hughes@Connor_J_Hughes 11m

Gase said the laboratory issue the NFL is dealing with forced the
#Jets to cancel their walkthrough last night.

What a surprise given the reliability it has shown thus far. ??

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Meanwhile there aren't any receivers on the team.

Drafting that 2nd WR wouldn't have done much to fix that.  You can't use camp injuries to criticize a draft class.  Draft picks are made to impact the subsequent 5+ seasons of the franchise.  The instant gratification nonsense being pushed is not how successful GM's operate.

This is especially true when you consider that rookie WRs rarely do well out of the gate.  It's a position that takes a notorious amount of time to develop.  Especially for a midround type WR.  Only 14 receivers in NFL history have had a 1,000+ yard season in their rookie seasons.  A healthy Mims would have had to struggle through his rookie season just like many that have come before him. 

Crowder, Perriman, the TEs and Bell were always going to be the top targets Darnold looks to in 2020.  The blame for that lack of skill player talent falls on Mike Maccagnan, not Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Meanwhile there aren't any receivers on the team, but our fourth string quarterback is looking good! 

I see you edited your post, lol.

Once again, blame Mike Maccagnan for that, not Joe Douglas.  Antonio Gandy-Golden wasn't going to fix our 2020 receiver woes. 

And for the record, I liked Gandy-Golden, and wanted a 2nd WR in the draft too.  I'm just not going to whine about it, because all of Douglas' picks in 2020 had strong logic behind them.  That's something that hadn't been the case for 12 of the previous 13 draft classes.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We all knew Zuniga's injury concerns were legit.  If he'd have stayed healthy in college he likely would have been a late 1st rounder, even in this loaded draft class.

It's no surprise he's dealing with an injury at the moment.  But it's also not worth being overly concerned about just yet.   

“Injury concerns”?

2016= 12 games; 5 sacks; 8.5 TFL

2017= 10 games; 4 sacks; 8 TFL

2018= 12 games; 6.4 sacks; 11 TFL

2019= 5 games; 5.5 sacks; 5.5 TFL

He was encouraged to turn pro after 2018 but came back and had a high ankle sprain that he re-injured coming back too soon but gutted it out. Read an article that he chose to come back to help his team win. Loved being apart of a brotherhood. Seems like a great teammate and leader in the huddle. Here’s another article I liked.....

Jabari Zuniga has been a mainstay in the Florida football defense since the 2016 season and he’s widely regarded as one of the best defensive players in college football.

Now onto his fourth year with Florida football, Zuniga has been one of the most productive defensive ends in Gator history.

He’s amassed an impressive 39 games with 18.5 sacks, 62 assisted tackles and 53 solo tackles becoming a leader on defense along the way.

Before the 2019 season started, he was one of only two Gators (alongside CJ Henderson) to be voted to the All-SEC defensive team. But after a strong start against the Miami Hurricanes (6 total tackles, 1.5 sacks) and UT-Martin (2 total tackles, 1.5 sacks) injuries have hampered No.92 since. 

Jabari suffered an ankle injury before the Week 4 Tennessee match up and following a much-anticipated return, he aggravated the same ankle against LSU on Saturday.

He’s currently a game-time decision to play against South Carolina this week but the Gators will be hoping he can return in their bid to bounce back following a tough loss on Saturday.

Draft Stock

So will this nagging injury impact Jabari’s hopes of being alongside fellow Gator, C.J. Henderson, as a first-round pick when we hit Nevada in April?

Well, most scouts will be encouraged that the redshirt senior doesn’t have a history of injuries. He appeared in all 13 games in 2016, 10 games in 2017 and 13 games last year showing his toughness and resilience whilst cementing his place as a top-5 DE.

The consensus before the 2019 season started was Zuniga is a nailed on mid to late first-rounder. If he can return healthy and show the same outrageous skill set that got him 45 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks last year, there’s no doubt he will hit this projection and maybe even higher.

If he can’t, then in my eyes he’s still a first-round talent and could prove to be a steal for NFL teams in the second round.

In reality, it’s too early to say where and when Jabari will land in the 2020 NFL draft. But despite concerns about the injury, his size and coming out of stance, it’s clear he has the talent to terrorize NFL quarterbacks for years to come if given the chance.

What’s next for JZ?

On Saturday, the man from Marietta, GA will be hoping to shake off the ankle concerns and help Florida football out in a big game before heading into a bye. It’s another chance for Jabari to showcase his athleticism and unique moves on the edge with Florida desperate to return to winning ways. One thing is for sure – their chances of winning will substantially increase if their star defensive end is healthy.

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

“Injury concerns”?

2016= 12 games; 5 sacks; 8.5 TFL

2017= 10 games; 4 sacks; 8 TFL

2018= 12 games; 6.4 sacks; 11 TFL

2019= 5 games; 5.5 sacks; 5.5 TFL

He was encouraged to turn pro after 2018 but came back and had a high ankle sprain that he re-injured coming back too soon but gutted it out. Read an article that he chose to come back to help his team win. Loved being apart of a brotherhood. Seems like a great teammate and leader in the huddle. Here’s another article I liked.....

Jabari Zuniga has been a mainstay in the Florida football defense since the 2016 season and he’s widely regarded as one of the best defensive players in college football.

Now onto his fourth year with Florida football, Zuniga has been one of the most productive defensive ends in Gator history.

He’s amassed an impressive 39 games with 18.5 sacks, 62 assisted tackles and 53 solo tackles becoming a leader on defense along the way.

Before the 2019 season started, he was one of only two Gators (alongside CJ Henderson) to be voted to the All-SEC defensive team. But after a strong start against the Miami Hurricanes (6 total tackles, 1.5 sacks) and UT-Martin (2 total tackles, 1.5 sacks) injuries have hampered No.92 since. 

Jabari suffered an ankle injury before the Week 4 Tennessee match up and following a much-anticipated return, he aggravated the same ankle against LSU on Saturday.

He’s currently a game-time decision to play against South Carolina this week but the Gators will be hoping he can return in their bid to bounce back following a tough loss on Saturday.

Draft Stock

So will this nagging injury impact Jabari’s hopes of being alongside fellow Gator, C.J. Henderson, as a first-round pick when we hit Nevada in April?

Well, most scouts will be encouraged that the redshirt senior doesn’t have a history of injuries. He appeared in all 13 games in 2016, 10 games in 2017 and 13 games last year showing his toughness and resilience whilst cementing his place as a top-5 DE.

The consensus before the 2019 season started was Zuniga is a nailed on mid to late first-rounder. If he can return healthy and show the same outrageous skill set that got him 45 total tackles, 11 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks last year, there’s no doubt he will hit this projection and maybe even higher.

If he can’t, then in my eyes he’s still a first-round talent and could prove to be a steal for NFL teams in the second round.

In reality, it’s too early to say where and when Jabari will land in the 2020 NFL draft. But despite concerns about the injury, his size and coming out of stance, it’s clear he has the talent to terrorize NFL quarterbacks for years to come if given the chance.

What’s next for JZ?

On Saturday, the man from Marietta, GA will be hoping to shake off the ankle concerns and help Florida football out in a big game before heading into a bye. It’s another chance for Jabari to showcase his athleticism and unique moves on the edge with Florida desperate to return to winning ways. One thing is for sure – their chances of winning will substantially increase if their star defensive end is healthy.

Yes, injury concerns.  What's your explanation for why a 1st round talent fell to pick 79, other than it being a deep class?  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, injury concerns.  What's your explanation for why a 1st round talent fell to pick 79, other than it being a deep class?  

There are a dozen or so players who we could ask the same questions about. I didn’t say he’s a 1st round talent the article did. What I am saying is we got very good value at a highly valued position of need. You can’t blame JD for picking him over another wide receiver. He addressed that 20  picks earlier. 

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

There are a dozen or so players who we could ask the same questions about. I didn’t say he’s a 1st round talent the article did. What I am saying is we got very good value at a highly valued position of need. You can’t blame JD for picking him over another wide receiver. He addressed that 20  picks earlier. 

Preaching to the choir on this one.  I was very happy with the Zuniga pick.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

How good did our quarterbacks look last year when Sam was out?

Also we have about 10 wide receivers on our team, all professional NFL players. There are only a certain amount of these guys in the world. I think we'll be just fine even if our 2nd round draft pick has an injured hammy.

20 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We have Darnold, signed Flacco, and apparently Fales and White Mike are still creeping around. 

So, why pick Morgan?

Sorry, 3rd String QB from FIU was a luxury pick for a team with no room for luxuries. My only real gripe about JD.....so far. 

Ah yes.  Mike White has a few good practices and all of a sudden he's a future franchise QB.

Jets fans, last season:  "OMG we don't have a QB2!  This is the franchise's biggest need!  We cannot have another Luke Falk situation ever again!!!"

Jets fans, this season:  "OMG why the f**k would you draft a QB??  It's our lowest need right now!!!"

QB is never, ever a "luxury pick".  At any given time there are only about 15 guys on the planet who can play the position effectively.  Good GM's take QB's in the draft as often as it makes sense to do so, whether they have their franchise QB or not.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Snowflake, I go back to what I stated. You’d take a WR in a WR heavy draft over a pass rusher sitting there? I disagree due to positional value. Can we see what we have first before panicking and peeing your pants. Mims will be back next week by what I’m hearing. Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Hogan, Smith, Berrios and Cager is fine by me for a team looking to run 2 TE set Zone blocking scheme like the 49ers run. 

Building a team around a head coach who's offense have been 32, 31, 25, 24 or such is pure folly.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ah yes.  Mike White has a few good practices and all of a sudden he's a future franchise QB.

Jets fans, last season:  "OMG we don't have a QB2!  This is the franchise's biggest need!  We cannot have another Luke Falk situation ever again!!!"

Jets fans, this season:  "OMG why the f**k would you draft a QB??  It's our lowest need right now!!!"

QB is never, ever a "luxury pick".  At any given time there are only about 15 guys on the planet who can play the position effectively.  Good GM's take QB's in the draft as often as it makes sense to do so, whether they have their franchise QB or not.    

He is not a franchise QB he is a developmental backup, just like the guy we drafted in the 4th round.  Hey it's not the end of thee world either way, the morgan pick might be a stroke of genus, but that pick aside it was still not smart to not take another WR, whether we had any injuries nor not.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, for F#cks sake, literally nobody has said anything of the sort. Stop it, you sound like a moron and you aren't.

Flacco will be #2 this year. This entire franchises fortunes revolve completely and wholly around Darnold. This team has been a disaster at WR for years. Using a 4th rounder on a developmental small school QB from, lol,  FIU  was an absurd decision with legit WR prospects on the board. 

Who our #3 QB is, is an irrelevant and obscure issue. And Morgan is no better a prospect than guys who are available as UDFAs every year. 

Now stop with the absurd hyperbole. 

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Building a team around a head coach who's offense have been 32, 31, 25, 24 or such is pure folly.

So you’re saying what ? Fire the head coach 2 years in and have Darnold and the offensive players learn another offensive scheme < 3 weeks before the season starts? That is pure folly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

53 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Oh, for F#cks sake, literally nobody has said anything of the sort. Stop it, you sound like a moron and you aren't.

Flacco will be #2 this year. This entire franchises fortunes revolve completely and wholly around Darnold. This team has been a disaster at WR for years. Using a 4th rounder on a developmental small school QB from, lol,  FIU  was an absurd decision with legit WR prospects on the board. 

Who our #3 QB is, is an irrelevant and obscure issue. And Morgan is no better a prospect than guys who are available as UDFAs every year. 

Now stop with the absurd hyperbole. 

We signed Joe Flacco a month after the draft ended, on the cheap, with the expectation he'd miss the first 1-3 games.  Even if you want to argue that Douglas knew that was going to happen all along, that doesn't preclude drafting a QB.  Morgan will be here the next 4 years.  Flacco will only be here for 1, in all likelihood.  

Morgan was a consensus top 10 (or so) QB in this class, and rumors were out there that if we hadn't taken him in Rd 4, the Patriots would have scooped him up in Rd 5.  He's got a big arm and scouts liked him.  That's enough to suggest he most certainly WAS better than the UDFAs out there.

Yes, I was being hyperbolic about White.  But my point still stands.  A couple good practices does not mean he's good enough to be the QB3, nor is it something that should be used as evidence we shouldn't have taken a QB.  Morgan, meanwhile, has quietly had a nice camp as well, including a 20+ yarder to Malone and a TD to Cager today.  

10 hours ago, Stark said:

Starting WRs for week 1. 
crowder, Malone, cager 

???

Maaaaaa....cag.....nan.

F**kin Year 3....3 damnit....and Sammy STILL has no WR’s and hopefully he’ll have more than 1.9 seconds to throw.  Only team run worse in all of professional sports is the NY Knicks.  So bad that no good player even entertains the thought of coming.  They’d rather go to Canada  than NY.

Douglas should have asked for 10 years.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

So bad that no good player even entertains the thought of coming.  They’d rather go to Canada  than NY.

Douglas should have asked for 10 years.

Mosely, Crowder, Perriman, Fant, Bell and the OL players. Now you may say that we overpaid for Mosley and Bell and the other players are JAGS, but also remember that JD isn’t going to offer 5 yr.  $100 m contracts. 99% of his Signings were 1 yr deals at reasonable $

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be fine if there was even the slightest foundation to build upon for Sam. If we didn't need 8-9 new starters on offense. It's almost a complete smash job 5 new starters on a 5 person unit. WR's and even back up RB. 

Man, I thought the Jets would take 3 WR's in this draft. I had mocks with only 1 D player taken. lol. That was before JD moved and shook the draft though. But still.. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's fair to criticize the Morgan pick. I think we all went into this offseason looking for Joe Douglas to do everything he possibly could to help Sam Darnold reach his potential, and a backup QB doesn't really help him at all. In yet another historic WR draft, the Jets came away with only one. Their QB room isn't great, but it's better than their WR room right now - and that's with or without James Morgan in there. 

It really comes down to the quality of the player for me. I get that he was well regarded, and that both the Pats and the Bills were rumored to be interested (the Jets took Morgan with their second of three fourth round picks, taking him before the Bills were back on the clock). So now the Jets have a developmental QB on the roster who is unlikely to ever be above #3 on the depth chart this season (barring injuries, plural) instead of a player (WR or other) who might help this team this year. And Morgan will tie up a roster spot being essentially useless this year, too, with the Jets likely carrying three QBs all year. IMHO, the Jets need to be comfortable next year going into the season with Darnold and Morgan at QB for the pick to've been possibly worth it. 

• Upvote 1