Why are ppl counting out the Patriots???

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brady was the # 18 QB in the NFL last season and the Pats still won 12 games.  It's absurd to suggest they'll fall off a cliff without him.  

He is going to be top 5 this year in BA's offense with all those toys.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/bill-belichick-very-impressed-with-cam-newton-s-quick-grasp-of-patriots-offense

Bill Belichick 'very impressed' with Cam Newton's quick grasp of Patriots' offense

Published: Aug 24, 2020 at 02:02 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

The world has long known about the special (and at times superhuman) abilities of Cameron Jerrell Newton.

Bill Belichick likely did well before this summer, too, especially considering how their two on-field meetings turned out (Newton 2, Belichick 0). The usually stoic and, well, bland coach did something a little out of character on Monday now that Newton is on his team: He showered the quarterback with compliments.

"Being with him every day, he's an extremely hard-working player. First guy in, last one out type of guy," Belichick said of Newton during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show. "He's really studied hard and has spent a lot of extra time trying to learn our offense, our communication, our calls, nomenclature. I've been very impressed with that. He's done a very good job of picking it up. He's a very skilled athlete."

None of this is revelatory information. We all know how skilled Newton is, and his Instagram and YouTube channel will hit you over the head with how hard he works. Hearing it from Belichick is refreshing, though, because of a change in tone from a coach who typically shoots straight and never veers. It's also centered on a player who isn't afraid to be himself, which some saw as a potential clash with an organization that is about embracing its way -- The Patriot Way -- and falling in line while pushing toward the goal of another Lombardi Trophy.

Newton called being with the Patriots a "breath of fresh air" earlier this month, and it seems as if Belichick has also embraced the benefits of new oxygen for his seasoned approach.

This evaluation, however brief and relatively typical it is, comes just days after NFL Network's Mike Giardi noted veteran Brian Hoyer seemed to have the best grasp of the offense. Two days later, Giardi reported Newton was seeing an increase in reps as Jarrett Stidham dealt with a hip issue, indicating Newton had perhaps taken a step forward in whatever battle there might be for the starting job.

Look, let's be real: This is Newton's job to lose, and he's not going to lose it as long as he stays healthy. The former NFL MVP gives the Patriots the best chance of contending in their first year of the post-Tom Brady era, provided he has command of a notoriously complex offense by Week 1. Hoyer exists as a reliable understudy with a very visible ceiling who understands Josh McDaniels' system from his time backing up Brady, and Stidham is the possible long-term developmental player.

The moment the Patriots signed Newton, this was the logical course of action. Belichick would benefit from refusing to reveal his starter for Week 1, forcing a team to prep for either Newton or Hoyer (Stidham's injury essentially eliminates him from serious opposing consideration), which would include anticipating two differing styles of signal-callers. Always one for an edge, Belichick isn't going to volunteer such information and lose a possible advantage in use of time.

But again, we should expect No. 1 under center in Week 1. He's already impressed Belichick enough for him to admit it, which is more than some can say.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cam did pretty well in the short game with McCaffrey in 2018.  He completed 68 % of his throws that season, with 107 of his completions going to McCaffrey.

Not trying to argue that Edelman and James White do anything close to what McCaffrey can.  But I don't think its accurate to say Cam can't handle the short passing game.  

Cam can not handle timing routes to WR's. Throwing to the back out of the backfield is much different

1 hour ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

What holes on offense did Brady cover up?  They ran a timing offense cater to brady and only brady. Every week they would game plan and play to an opponent weaknesses.

As i said before their last SB run they relied heavily on their run game and defense. Used their fullback and their HOF TE for extra blocking schemes to beat up the smaller lines they faced in the playoffs..

Thats thinking and scheming, that is not relying on tom brady. 

And I am sure they will find an affective way to use a former mvp QB in Cam Newton. Already practicing "option" routes w him now. Stuff they couldn't do w brady.

Reports his foot is fine and his shoulder is fine as well.

Making Cam Newton run the ball is a recipe for a season ending injury. He's made of glass at this point. They can't win with defense this year, they're much worse than last year on defense and their RB's are not great. I think BB is beyond overvalued and the threat of Brady is being undervalued.  Cam is nowhere near the throwing that Brady was even last year. Cam hasn't been good in 5 years and he's a shell of the QB he was then. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

If Cam stays healthy, I think they win 12 games again.  If Cam misses significant time, I think year 1 of Jarrett Stidham will be tough sledding.  They will be in games because of the D and BB but I think the Bills take them if Cam is out for 4 or more games.

Whats staying healthy?  Not going back to the always injured Cam or miraculously reversing the damage and weakening go his arm?  

Having his running ability return by another healing cycle or just being a fraction of what he was

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but James White is one of the better backs in the league at that.  You're right that Edelman will be another story, though.

James White is not McCaffrey. Even with McCaffrey and his high comp % he went 6-8 as a starter and had his worst statistical rushing year.  Cam could get away with being inaccurate and making bad decisions bc his running ability covered those things up.  That ability is 25% of what it used to be. He's not a quick decision maker either.  The reason the Pats offensive line always looked great but then when FA went elsewhere they were bad is bc Brady got the ball out of his hands quicker than anybody in the NFL.  Cam can't do that.  He doesn't process that quickly and very few can. If Cam holds on to the ball a second longer its a completely different offense. 

• Upvote 1

You're also going from a QB who to a guy who has a 3:1 TD:Int rate to Cam who has a 1.7:1 rate.  That's a significant difference in turnovers. The Pats didn't beat themselves bc of Tom Bradys efficiency and low turnover rate, not bc of BB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Making Cam Newton run the ball is a recipe for a season ending injury. He's made of glass at this point. They can't win with defense this year, they're much worse than last year on defense and their RB's are not great. I think BB is beyond overvalued and the threat of Brady is being undervalued.  Cam is nowhere near the throwing that Brady was even last year. Cam hasn't been good in 5 years and he's a shell of the QB he was then. 

Word!? Go Ahead and send me that selfie of you in patriots camp...also. cover up the name and please post the medicals you have on Cam Newton?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sunday-e2-80-99s-patriots-e2-80-99-practice-report-best-day-yet-for-cam-newton/ar-BB18hGtZ

Sunday’s Patriots’ practice report: Best day yet for Cam Newton

Newton completed 28 of 39 reps during team drills that were run mostly at three-quarter speed with less-than-aggressive defense and he easily could have had more completions but was hurt by several drops.

Newton appeared comfortable in command as he ran a variety of plays, showing off his arm from the pocket and his legs on roll-out throws and runs.

44 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Word!? Go Ahead and send me that selfie of you in patriots camp...also. cover up the name and please post the medicals you have on Cam Newton?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sunday-e2-80-99s-patriots-e2-80-99-practice-report-best-day-yet-for-cam-newton/ar-BB18hGtZ

Sunday’s Patriots’ practice report: Best day yet for Cam Newton

Newton completed 28 of 39 reps during team drills that were run mostly at three-quarter speed with less-than-aggressive defense and he easily could have had more completions but was hurt by several drops.

Newton appeared comfortable in command as he ran a variety of plays, showing off his arm from the pocket and his legs on roll-out throws and runs.

Send me that selfie of you in Pats camp.  Also, send me the medicals you have.  28/39 against air at 3/4 speed.  So impressive. At any point you can try to deny anything I've said about his play the last 4 years.  Oh wait... you can't. 

• Upvote 1

There's a difference.

You're given an opinion, your own opinion nothing to back that up with. I actually posted a reports from camp from people who are actually there.

Yea..that full speed is really gonna catch up w Cam Newton and BB....i mean. If BB would just go to team message boards before constructing his team. Its all there for him. 

19 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I feel bad for foolish Jets fans who think that the Pats will just suck without Brady. You're in for a rude awakening. 

Do I think they will suck?  No, do I think the dynasty is dead? 100% absolutely.  Brady was the dynasty.

• Upvote 1

i guess we'll find out soon enough it was brady or the bellichicken that made the patsies tick.  i know some players have that ability to elevate everyone around him.  brady seemed to be that kind of player along with his ability to understand how the game is supposed to be played.  he knew what it took to play the qb position in the face of the ever faster pass rushers.  his deep ball was suspect at times but he was realy good going to guys like gronk, edelman, or the rb's.  the big question is whether or not newton can play qb instead of trying to resurrect his superman persona.  in this sense maybe he's more like when doug williams got resurrected by the redskins.

All I know is the last time I saw Cam Newton playing the Jets at Metlife he beat us with his legs. My question would be, is he still that same guy? 

It was Jamal Adams rookie year so in football terms it was a long time ago. 

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i guess we'll find out soon enough it was brady or the bellichicken that made the patsies tick.  i know some players have that ability to elevate everyone around him.  brady seemed to be that kind of player along with his ability to understand how the game is supposed to be played.  he knew what it took to play the qb position in the face of the ever faster pass rushers.  his deep ball was suspect at times but he was realy good going to guys like gronk, edelman, or the rb's.  the big question is whether or not newton can play qb instead of trying to resurrect his superman persona.  in this sense maybe he's more like when doug williams got resurrected by the redskins.

What people don't realize about Tom Brady was his incredible ability to to rarely play behind the sticks. 

Think about every game you can remember over the last 20 years vs the Patriots, and what really stands out to me was how few times we had their offense in 3rd & long situations. I mean it was f*cking exciting when it occurred because as a fan you were like, OMG, we might have a chance to get the ball back in decent field position. 

Even when Brady failed he'd get his team out to midfield & you knew our offense would be starting inside the damn 10 yard line. 

Thats what made him great, consistency, and there is no way in hell, Cam Newton can remain that consistent.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What people don't realize about Tom Brady was his incredible ability to to rarely play behind the sticks. 

Think about every game you can remember over the last 20 years vs the Patriots, and what really stands out to me was how few times we had their offense in 3rd & long situations. I mean it was f*cking exciting when it occurred because as a fan you were like, OMG, we might have a chance to get the ball back in decent field position. 

Even when Brady failed he'd get his team out to midfield & you knew our offense would be starting inside the damn 10 yard line. 

Thats what made him great, consistency, and there is no way in hell, Cam Newton can remain that consistent.

funny what happens when you get phantom defensive penalties on 1st & 2nd downs

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cam did pretty well in the short game with McCaffrey in 2018.  He completed 68 % of his throws that season, with 107 of his completions going to McCaffrey.

Wow, 33% of his passes went to a single RB.

No wonder his comp % went up 10 points,

59 minutes ago, Jetster said:

All I know is the last time I saw Cam Newton playing the Jets at Metlife he beat us with his legs. My question would be, is he still that same guy? 

It was Jamal Adams rookie year so in football terms it was a long time ago. 

To answer your question no

Newton relied on his physical gifts throughout his career.  They’re gone now. Belichick thinks he can resurrect his career like Parcells did with Vinny but Vinny could actually read defenses, had prime Keyshawn and Wayne and could hand the ball off to prime Martin 25 times a game

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Wow, 33% of his passes went to a single RB.

No wonder his comp % went up 10 points,

I had McCaffrey in fantasy in 2018.  Whatever passing numbers Newton had that year was thanks to McCaffrey catching 2 yard passes in the flats and then making plays

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Belichick learned from Parcells the importance of field position.  Thats why when Parcells got here one of the first things he did was to stock the STs unit.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JiF said:

If Cam stays healthy, I think they win 12 games again.  If Cam misses significant time, I think year 1 of Jarrett Stidham will be tough sledding.  They will be in games because of the D and BB but I think the Bills take them if Cam is out for 4 or more games.

I'b bet if theyre playing well winning their share of games that if Cam goes down BB goes with Hoyer.  If theyre not contending and Cam goes down its Stidham time

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'b bet if theyre playing well winning their share of games that if Cam goes down BB goes with Hoyer.  If theyre not contending and Cam goes down its Stidham time

Hoyer is total wet hot garbage.  Oh my God I’m gonna lol if he’s starting games for the patriots

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

i agree.  it was awful frustrating to see them always make that play to convert the third downs.  like i said, he had a really good sense of how to play the game. 

On 8/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/bill-belichick-very-impressed-with-cam-newton-s-quick-grasp-of-patriots-offense

Bill Belichick 'very impressed' with Cam Newton's quick grasp of Patriots' offense

Published: Aug 24, 2020 at 02:02 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

The world has long known about the special (and at times superhuman) abilities of Cameron Jerrell Newton.

Bill Belichick likely did well before this summer, too, especially considering how their two on-field meetings turned out (Newton 2, Belichick 0). The usually stoic and, well, bland coach did something a little out of character on Monday now that Newton is on his team: He showered the quarterback with compliments.

"Being with him every day, he's an extremely hard-working player. First guy in, last one out type of guy," Belichick said of Newton during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show. "He's really studied hard and has spent a lot of extra time trying to learn our offense, our communication, our calls, nomenclature. I've been very impressed with that. He's done a very good job of picking it up. He's a very skilled athlete."

None of this is revelatory information. We all know how skilled Newton is, and his Instagram and YouTube channel will hit you over the head with how hard he works. Hearing it from Belichick is refreshing, though, because of a change in tone from a coach who typically shoots straight and never veers. It's also centered on a player who isn't afraid to be himself, which some saw as a potential clash with an organization that is about embracing its way -- The Patriot Way -- and falling in line while pushing toward the goal of another Lombardi Trophy.

Newton called being with the Patriots a "breath of fresh air" earlier this month, and it seems as if Belichick has also embraced the benefits of new oxygen for his seasoned approach.

This evaluation, however brief and relatively typical it is, comes just days after NFL Network's Mike Giardi noted veteran Brian Hoyer seemed to have the best grasp of the offense. Two days later, Giardi reported Newton was seeing an increase in reps as Jarrett Stidham dealt with a hip issue, indicating Newton had perhaps taken a step forward in whatever battle there might be for the starting job.

Look, let's be real: This is Newton's job to lose, and he's not going to lose it as long as he stays healthy. The former NFL MVP gives the Patriots the best chance of contending in their first year of the post-Tom Brady era, provided he has command of a notoriously complex offense by Week 1. Hoyer exists as a reliable understudy with a very visible ceiling who understands Josh McDaniels' system from his time backing up Brady, and Stidham is the possible long-term developmental player.

The moment the Patriots signed Newton, this was the logical course of action. Belichick would benefit from refusing to reveal his starter for Week 1, forcing a team to prep for either Newton or Hoyer (Stidham's injury essentially eliminates him from serious opposing consideration), which would include anticipating two differing styles of signal-callers. Always one for an edge, Belichick isn't going to volunteer such information and lose a possible advantage in use of time.

But again, we should expect No. 1 under center in Week 1. He's already impressed Belichick enough for him to admit it, which is more than some can say.

I think its Cam's Bozo the Clown wardrobe and horrible Usher dance moves that makes him confident he's upto speed with the offense.