98 jets the best team of all time?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Curtis Martin fumble, Victor Green being Victor Green and blowing his coverage assignment on McCaffrey, then Vinny not being able to get a little more mustard on a pass to Richie Anderson at the goal line. True heartbreak.

The Curtis fumble didn't kill them, they were near midfield and Denver didn't score off of it.

The biggest play was the McCaffrey play.  That completely changed that game and the Jets never recovered.  Another choke by a Bill Belichick led D.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Curtis fumble didn't kill them, they were near midfield and Denver didn't score off of it.

The biggest play was the McCaffrey play.  That completely changed that game and the Jets never recovered.  Another choke by a Bill Belichick led D.

I think I remember it as being a bigger deal because Terrell Davis was going hog wild and Curtis looked like he was 100 years old.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think I remember it as being a bigger deal because Terrell Davis was going hog wild and Curtis looked like he was 100 years old.

TD didn't get going until the 2nd half. He was the best RB in football at the time and let's not forget Curtis was not healthy that season.  Also, go watch that game and see what Denver did to our OL, he was hit in the backfield every time he touched the ball.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JoshAllenPower said:

I'm a Bill's fan, but man the 98 jets were one of the best teams I saw. I thought that was the jets sb year

Is the 98 jets the best jets team ever?

The offense had zero weakness.  Keyshawn was the best wr in the NFL in 98-99. 

Ya know what adds to the pain for me?  

My lifetime favorite band, KISS was playing in the Super Bowl that year.  I thought it was God throwing me one. That team, KISS... And the way I got to watch the Jets dismantle the Jags in the playoffs live the week before. Turns out it was simply another layer of Jets pain for me to endure. 

It's also worth mentioning that the following year just happened to be when I visited the HOF for the first(and only) time. They had the KISS guitar painted with the two Super Bowl teams on display. Broncos and Falcons.  Complete BS!  I stared at it for far too long wondering why the F I root for this team.  But felt good about the following day when the '99 Jets would begin their tear to the superbowl.  Then the Achilles. 

Ahhh  This is a good thread. Thanks man.  lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

14 yards rushing 2 INT's and 3 lost fumbles.  Yea it was BB fault that a team with 3 HOF players on O beat us in mile high stadium.  

The only TD we scored was a 3 and out by our D inside the Denver 10 and a blocked punt that gave us the ball on the Denver 1.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

TD didn't get going until the 2nd half. He was the best RB in football at the time and let's not forget Curtis was not healthy that season.  Also, go watch that game and see what Denver did to our OL, he was hit in the backfield every time he touched the ball.

Curtis was healthy at the end of that season.  He had a 100 plus yard game against NE in the last game of the season and after the bye had 138 on 36 carries and 6 catches for 58 yards against Jax the week before Denver.  Stop with the excuses.  Denver game planed to stop Martin and they succeeded.  You couple that with the turnovers and it was party over.  Denver was simply a much better over all team.  They had us at home in a low oxygen environment where turnovers and TOP is critical.  We made one great special teams play to give us the lead in the 3rd quarter and we gave it back with a fumbled kickoff return after they just scored.  If we were able to run the ball our D may have been able to hold up.  We couldn't run the ball and we turned it over.  They were a much better team and simply wore us out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Curtis Martin fumble, Victor Green being Victor Green and blowing his coverage assignment on McCaffrey, then Vinny not being able to get a little more mustard on a pass to Richie Anderson at the goal line. True heartbreak.

Considering where we were just 2 years prior, I'd take that.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yep.  Vinny reacted to pressure that wasnt there and he dirted the ball right in front of Anderson.  That was the game right there... 

I still prefer the 1981 team.  If the AFC Champ game had been played on a dry field, the Jets would have handled the Dolphins.

Their defense was also top notch against the run with Buttle, Blinka and Mehl behind the Sack Exchange.  They had the tools to beat the Redskins in the Superbowl if Don Schula had not conspired with the south Florida weather.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

14 yards rushing 2 INT's and 3 lost fumbles.  Yea it was BB fault that a team with 3 HOF players on O beat us in mile high stadium.  

The only TD we scored was a 3 and out by our D inside the Denver 10 and a blocked punt that gave us the ball on the Denver 1.  

It was a bad weather game, ridiculous winds hampered both offenses.  The student was Denver ran the ball well in the 2nd half and we couldn't run.

Belichick was given a 10 point lead with about 27 minutes to play in a weather game and his D allowed 23 points during that span.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Curtis was healthy at the end of that season.  He had a 100 plus yard game against NE in the last game of the season and after the bye had 138 on 36 carries and 6 catches for 58 yards against Jax the week before Denver.  Stop with the excuses.  Denver game planed to stop Martin and they succeeded.  You couple that with the turnovers and it was party over.  Denver was simply a much better over all team.  They had us at home in a low oxygen environment where turnovers and TOP is critical.  We made one great special teams play to give us the lead in the 3rd quarter and we gave it back with a fumbled kickoff return after they just scored.  If we were able to run the ball our D may have been able to hold up.  We couldn't run the ball and we turned it over.  They were a much better team and simply wore us out.

Curtis was not healthy at any point in the season and Denver dominated our OL in the run game.  He had nowhere to run.

Denver was not much better, we handed them that game. I don't think there was a big TOP advantage either way.

With a 10 point lead and all the momentum the D allowed the game changing play to McCaffery.  After that they completed folded.

The '98 Jets was the best team since the merger, and it's really not all that close.  The '98 team was +150 in net points (+9.4 per game), tops in franchise history.

The next highest post-merger team was the '85 Jets, at +129, followed by the 2009 Jets (+112), and 2015 Jets (+73).

And if you're wondering about schedule strength, the '98 Jets faced the 8th toughest schedule in franchise history.  When factoring in schedule strength, the best post-merger teams in history could be ranked something like this:

1. 1998 Jets (+150, # 8 toughest schedule)
  2. 2009 Jets (+112, # 12 schedule)
  3. 1985 Jets (+129, # 19 schedule)
  4. 2004 Jets (+72, # 6 schedule)
  5. 2010 Jets (+63, # 4 schedule)

40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Such a strange way to frame "he shut out an elite offense in the first half."

Unfortunately there were 2 halves that day but congrats on the first half I guess.

Both D's had a huge advantage that day, only Denver took advantage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

It was a bad weather game, ridiculous winds hampered both offenses.  The student was Denver ran the ball well in the 2nd half and we couldn't run.

Belichick was given a 10 point lead with about 27 minutes to play in a weather game and his D allowed 23 points during that span.

Curtis was not healthy at any point in the season and Denver dominated our OL in the run game.  He had nowhere to run.

Denver was not much better, we handed them that game. I don't think there was a big TOP advantage either way.

With a 10 point lead and all the momentum the D allowed the game changing play to McCaffery.  After that they completed folded.

LOL at BB was given a 10 point lead.  Denvers first 7 possessions.  Punt, Downs, Downs, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt.   The 10 point lead came on Denver going 3 and out inside their 10 and a punt that ended up on their 1 yard line.  Yea he was given a 10 point lead.  When Denver regained the lead we turned the ball over on the next kickoff.

The D was screwed by the O turning it over, failing to score points and leaving them on the field all game against a team at home who hadn't lost at home all year. 

The D played their ass off and was simply toast because our O and special teams kept giving the ball back to them.  

Curtis was absolutely healthy.  You don't feed a back the ball 42 times in a blowout playoff game if he's not healthy.  Curtis is in the HOF.  He was trash in that game.  He would be the first one to admit it. 

• Upvote 4