Jump to content
JoshAllenPower

98 jets the best team of all time?

Recommended Posts

I'm a Bill's fan, but man the 98 jets were one of the best teams I saw. I thought that was the jets sb year

 

Is the 98 jets the best jets team ever?

 

The offense had zero weakness.  Keyshawn was the best wr in the NFL in 98-99. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never realized Sanchez outplayed big Ben in 2010 AFC championship.  Weird loss by the the jets, that team was loaded too. Jets oline was ridiculous 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes-unfortunately they ran into a Denver team that was absolutely loaded. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably .  One thing I remember about that team was how balanced they were.  And Parcells was only here a while.  But he was able to bring in enough of his guys to fill any holes in the positional groups.  Man.  If only it had lasted a bit longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KJ wasn't  really that good of a WR. He wasn't fast at all. He got caught from behind more times then I like to remember and that was when he was open for like 10 yards. He was smart and a good blocker though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

1968-69 Jets was the best Jet team of all-time. The team was absolutely loaded at every position.

+1 The best team doesn't crap out like the 98 team did in the playoffs..

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm pushing my coins all in, it's Trolly Trollface.

Peace Frog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curtis Martin fumble, Victor Green being Victor Green and blowing his coverage assignment on McCaffrey, then Vinny not being able to get a little more mustard on a pass to Richie Anderson at the goal line. True heartbreak.

  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the best full season I've ever seen and I think an argument can be made they were best in franchise history.  I'm sure they win the SB if they get a bye and host conference championship that they didn't deserve like the 1968 Jets.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Curtis Martin fumble, Victor Green being Victor Green and blowing his coverage assignment on McCaffrey, then Vinny not being able to get a little more mustard on a pass to Richie Anderson at the goal line. True heartbreak.

The Curtis fumble didn't kill them, they were near midfield and Denver didn't score off of it.

 

The biggest play was the McCaffrey play.  That completely changed that game and the Jets never recovered.  Another choke by a Bill Belichick led D.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Curtis fumble didn't kill them, they were near midfield and Denver didn't score off of it.

 

The biggest play was the McCaffrey play.  That completely changed that game and the Jets never recovered.  Another choke by a Bill Belichick led D.

I think I remember it as being a bigger deal because Terrell Davis was going hog wild and Curtis looked like he was 100 years old.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think I remember it as being a bigger deal because Terrell Davis was going hog wild and Curtis looked like he was 100 years old.

TD didn't get going until the 2nd half. He was the best RB in football at the time and let's not forget Curtis was not healthy that season.  Also, go watch that game and see what Denver did to our OL, he was hit in the backfield every time he touched the ball.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JoshAllenPower said:

I never realized Sanchez outplayed big Ben in 2010 AFC championship.  Weird loss by the the jets, that team was loaded too. Jets oline was ridiculous 

Heart breaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoshAllenPower said:

I'm a Bill's fan, but man the 98 jets were one of the best teams I saw. I thought that was the jets sb year

 

Is the 98 jets the best jets team ever?

 

The offense had zero weakness.  Keyshawn was the best wr in the NFL in 98-99. 

Ya know what adds to the pain for me?  

My lifetime favorite band, KISS was playing in the Super Bowl that year.  I thought it was God throwing me one. That team, KISS... And the way I got to watch the Jets dismantle the Jags in the playoffs live the week before. Turns out it was simply another layer of Jets pain for me to endure. 

It's also worth mentioning that the following year just happened to be when I visited the HOF for the first(and only) time. They had the KISS guitar painted with the two Super Bowl teams on display. Broncos and Falcons.  Complete BS!  I stared at it for far too long wondering why the F I root for this team.  But felt good about the following day when the '99 Jets would begin their tear to the superbowl.  Then the Achilles. 

Ahhh  This is a good thread. Thanks man.  lol

  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

whoever won that Denver game had the superbowl locked up ... easily better than the Falcons team from the NFC 😢

 

1999 we were primed to dominate 😢😢😢😢😢

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Peace Frog

No Bowles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The Curtis fumble didn't kill them, they were near midfield and Denver didn't score off of it.

 

The biggest play was the McCaffrey play.  That completely changed that game and the Jets never recovered.  Another choke by a Bill Belichick led D.

14 yards rushing 2 INT's and 3 lost fumbles.  Yea it was BB fault that a team with 3 HOF players on O beat us in mile high stadium.  

The only TD we scored was a 3 and out by our D inside the Denver 10 and a blocked punt that gave us the ball on the Denver 1.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

TD didn't get going until the 2nd half. He was the best RB in football at the time and let's not forget Curtis was not healthy that season.  Also, go watch that game and see what Denver did to our OL, he was hit in the backfield every time he touched the ball.

Curtis was healthy at the end of that season.  He had a 100 plus yard game against NE in the last game of the season and after the bye had 138 on 36 carries and 6 catches for 58 yards against Jax the week before Denver.  Stop with the excuses.  Denver game planed to stop Martin and they succeeded.  You couple that with the turnovers and it was party over.  Denver was simply a much better over all team.  They had us at home in a low oxygen environment where turnovers and TOP is critical.  We made one great special teams play to give us the lead in the 3rd quarter and we gave it back with a fumbled kickoff return after they just scored.  If we were able to run the ball our D may have been able to hold up.  We couldn't run the ball and we turned it over.  They were a much better team and simply wore us out.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

we gave it back with a fumbled kickoff return

wind blew the ball down on the back of a players leg who didnt even see it

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Curtis Martin fumble, Victor Green being Victor Green and blowing his coverage assignment on McCaffrey, then Vinny not being able to get a little more mustard on a pass to Richie Anderson at the goal line. True heartbreak.

Considering where we were just 2 years prior, I'd take that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Bowl team aside, for my $ it's the 1986/87 team that was 10-1 before injuries decimated them. They dominated teams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Super Bowl team aside, for my $ it's the 1986/87 team that was 10-1 before injuries decimated them. They dominated teams.

Then the Pat Ryan playoffs. 

James Morgan anyone? 😜 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The debate is for #2.

#1 is the 1968 team that won a Super Bowl.  That was a really good team, stout on both fronts, good skill players, and of course Namath the most talented QB of the 1960s.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Curtis Martin fumble, Victor Green being Victor Green and blowing his coverage assignment on McCaffrey, then Vinny not being able to get a little more mustard on a pass to Richie Anderson at the goal line. True heartbreak.

Yep.  Vinny reacted to pressure that wasnt there and he dirted the ball right in front of Anderson.  That was the game right there... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still prefer the 1981 team.  If the AFC Champ game had been played on a dry field, the Jets would have handled the Dolphins.

Their defense was also top notch against the run with Buttle, Blinka and Mehl behind the Sack Exchange.  They had the tools to beat the Redskins in the Superbowl if Don Schula had not conspired with the south Florida weather.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biggs said:

14 yards rushing 2 INT's and 3 lost fumbles.  Yea it was BB fault that a team with 3 HOF players on O beat us in mile high stadium.  

The only TD we scored was a 3 and out by our D inside the Denver 10 and a blocked punt that gave us the ball on the Denver 1.  

It was a bad weather game, ridiculous winds hampered both offenses.  The student was Denver ran the ball well in the 2nd half and we couldn't run.

Belichick was given a 10 point lead with about 27 minutes to play in a weather game and his D allowed 23 points during that span.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Curtis was healthy at the end of that season.  He had a 100 plus yard game against NE in the last game of the season and after the bye had 138 on 36 carries and 6 catches for 58 yards against Jax the week before Denver.  Stop with the excuses.  Denver game planed to stop Martin and they succeeded.  You couple that with the turnovers and it was party over.  Denver was simply a much better over all team.  They had us at home in a low oxygen environment where turnovers and TOP is critical.  We made one great special teams play to give us the lead in the 3rd quarter and we gave it back with a fumbled kickoff return after they just scored.  If we were able to run the ball our D may have been able to hold up.  We couldn't run the ball and we turned it over.  They were a much better team and simply wore us out.

Curtis was not healthy at any point in the season and Denver dominated our OL in the run game.  He had nowhere to run.

Denver was not much better, we handed them that game. I don't think there was a big TOP advantage either way.

With a 10 point lead and all the momentum the D allowed the game changing play to McCaffery.  After that they completed folded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The '98 Jets was the best team since the merger, and it's really not all that close.  The '98 team was +150 in net points (+9.4 per game), tops in franchise history.

The next highest post-merger team was the '85 Jets, at +129, followed by the 2009 Jets (+112), and 2015 Jets (+73).

And if you're wondering about schedule strength, the '98 Jets faced the 8th toughest schedule in franchise history.  When factoring in schedule strength, the best post-merger teams in history could be ranked something like this:

  1. 1998 Jets (+150, # 8 toughest schedule)
  2. 2009 Jets (+112, # 12 schedule)
  3. 1985 Jets (+129, # 19 schedule)
  4. 2004 Jets (+72, # 6 schedule)
  5. 2010 Jets (+63, # 4 schedule)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Belichick was given a 10 point lead with about 27 minutes to play in a weather game and his D allowed 23 points during that span.

 

Such a strange way to frame "he shut out an elite offense in the first half."

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Such a strange way to frame "he shut out an elite offense in the first half."

Unfortunately there were 2 halves that day but congrats on the first half I guess.

Both D's had a huge advantage that day, only Denver took advantage.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...