98 jets the best team of all time?

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think I remember it as being a bigger deal because Terrell Davis was going hog wild and Curtis looked like he was 100 years old.

He put in his 14 yds rushing LOL  it was the fumble in the first game in 1999 season that Vinny tore his Achilles on trying to recover that killed the Jets.. Without Davis no 2 Bowls to finish Elways career,. In 1998 Elway had 22 passing td's Davis had 21 rushing td's and another 2 receiving.. 

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Curtis was healthy at the end of that season.  He had a 100 plus yard game against NE in the last game of the season and after the bye had 138 on 36 carries and 6 catches for 58 yards against Jax the week before Denver.  Stop with the excuses.  Denver game planed to stop Martin and they succeeded.  You couple that with the turnovers and it was party over.  Denver was simply a much better over all team.  They had us at home in a low oxygen environment where turnovers and TOP is critical.  We made one great special teams play to give us the lead in the 3rd quarter and we gave it back with a fumbled kickoff return after they just scored.  If we were able to run the ball our D may have been able to hold up.  We couldn't run the ball and we turned it over.  They were a much better team and simply wore us out.

A back that was avg 3.5 ypc they had to stop yet the Jets had no plan to stop Davis who was avg over 5 ypc.. Wow BB must have been absent that day..

19 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

A back that was avg 3.5 ypc they had to stop yet the Jets had no plan to stop Davis who was avg over 5 ypc.. Wow BB must have been absent that day..

We held Denver in check into the early third quarter.  We had about 25 minutes of TOP in the entire game and under 11 in the second half.  Denver is at altitude.  Denver is the toughest place to play in the NFL because of it.  You fail to run the ball, you turn the ball over and the D wears down.  Denver ran all over Miami who had the No. 3 NFL D against the run.  They put up 250 rushing yards on them.  They put up over 120 against the Falcons who were No. 2 against the run that year.  The Jets D was 7 overall but a very mediocre 14th against the run.  We had an old veteran D that simply couldn't hold up without our O at least even on TOP and great special teams play.  You put in the 6 turnovers and it was simply too much for that D to overcome in that situation.  The D held up into the third quarter.  They actually got us the lead with a 3 and out of Denver inside the 10.  The O and special teams completely blew up and Denver got going.

They were simply better than us and at home.  That team in 98 was all coaching.  It wasn't a great team.  VT played out of his mind that year.  He wasn't remotely near his norm.  If he resorts to his norm we don't sniff the playoffs that year.  I'm not sure we get the home bye against Jax if the refs didn't blow the call in the Seattle game.  

The 82 team was much better and the 68 team was simply a much more complete team.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Savage69 said:

+1 The best team doesn't crap out like the 98 team did in the playoffs..

Naw they just ran into the defending sb champion Broncos at mile high...and they ended up winning it all. That year the two best teams in the league didn't make it to the big dance. It was supposed to be Jets vs. Vikings. I'll never forget how cursed I felt after we came up short.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Biggs said:

LOL at BB was given a 10 point lead.  Denvers first 7 possessions.  Punt, Downs, Downs, Punt, Punt, Punt, Punt.   The 10 point lead came on Denver going 3 and out inside their 10 and a punt that ended up on their 1 yard line.  Yea he was given a 10 point lead.  When Denver regained the lead we turned the ball over on the next kickoff.

The D was screwed by the O turning it over, failing to score points and leaving them on the field all game against a team at home who hadn't lost at home all year. 

The D played their ass off and was simply toast because our O and special teams kept giving the ball back to them.  

Curtis was absolutely healthy.  You don't feed a back the ball 42 times in a blowout playoff game if he's not healthy.  Curtis is in the HOF.  He was trash in that game.  He would be the first one to admit it. 

It was very difficult to throw, they played great for a half but last I checked the game doesn't end at halftime.  They allowed 23 points in the last 27 minutes of the game blowing a 10 point lead, is that good?

I again ask you to watch that game and tell me where Curtis was supposed to get his yards from?  

TOP was 33-27, that's not a huge difference.  That's just an excuse for why they fell apart.  The week before the Jets had the ball for 39 minutes which is a huge edge and what did the Belichick led D do in the 2nd half? Allowed 17 points and made what should have been a blowout a close game.

Unfortunately in Denver our O couldn't save them like they did a week earlier.

imo the 99 team was much better than the 98 team.  if vinnie doesn't go down and then parcells tries to use mirer before settling on lucas then things might've turned out a whole lot different.  give denver some credit in 98.  elllway was a good qb and had an arm that could throw through wind.  and davis really took advantage of their blocking schemes.

Just now, rangerous said:

imo the 99 team was much better than the 98 team.  if vinnie doesn't go down and then parcells tries to use mirer before settling on lucas then things might've turned out a whole lot different.  give denver some credit in 98.  elllway was a good qb and had an arm that could throw through wind.  and davis really took advantage of their blocking schemes.

Parcells wanted to save a couple bucks in cap room and got rid of Glenn Foley as the backup.  Good times

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Parcells wanted to save a couple bucks in cap room and got rid of Glenn Foley as the backup.  Good times

i had to look up the details.  i thought they got more than a 7th rounder.  the money did come into play because they signed vinny to a 6 million contract and foley was on tap to make 1.25 in his final contract year.  can't say foley was a good qb since he did little after leaving the jets but he may have been a much better choice as back up in 99.  it was kind of funny seeing tupa playing qb in game 1.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It was very difficult to throw, they played great for a half but last I checked the game doesn't end at halftime.  They allowed 23 points in the last 27 minutes of the game blowing a 10 point lead, is that good?

I again ask you to watch that game and tell me where Curtis was supposed to get his yards from?  

Vinny passed for 356 yds and Elway had 173..:beer:

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

TOP was 33-27, that's not a huge difference.  That's just an excuse for why they fell apart.  The week before the Jets had the ball for 39 minutes which is a huge edge and what did the Belichick led D do in the 2nd half? Allowed 17 points and made what should have been a blowout a close game.

33 27 is a huge difference.  You completely discount the venue and the turnovers.  You're also making the argument that the D lost that game.  The O scored 3 points, we had 6 turnovers.  I watched the game.  The turnovers buried us.  We had a chance to get a bigger lead in the first half and blew it.  Time and venue was against us.  The D gave us the lead, the special teams and O put our D in a terrible position.  

The Jax game was never in doubt.  In spite of that we only won by 10.  The O had 2 turnovers in the 4th quarter and Jax was held to a field goal.  The D had 3 picks in that game.  

Keep discounting that football is a team game.  

• Post of the Week 1

On 8/25/2020 at 9:35 AM, rangerous said:

i had to look up the details.  i thought they got more than a 7th rounder.  the money did come into play because they signed vinny to a 6 million contract and foley was on tap to make 1.25 in his final contract year.  can't say foley was a good qb since he did little after leaving the jets but he may have been a much better choice as back up in 99.  it was kind of funny seeing tupa playing qb in game 1.

Foley was definitely significantly better than Rick Mirer.  If Parcells doesn’t get rid of him we at least make the playoffs that season

18 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Foley was definitely significantly better than Rick Mirer.  If Parcells doesn’t get rid of him we at least make the playoffs that season

maybe.  i don't think foley was that great even though parcells chose him over odennell.  the thing is that parcells never depended on a superstar qb for his team's success.  i'm sure giaints fans will disagree but simms and certainly hostedtler were good qb's but not hof types.  in the same way bledsoe wasn't that great and neither was vinny.  but mirer was a disaster.  if he went to lucas early on the team might've won an extra 2 games.

• Upvote 1

On 8/24/2020 at 1:57 AM, GreekJet said:

Yes-unfortunately they ran into a Denver team that was absolutely loaded. 

They were, but we uncharacteristically made a few mistakes that game or I think the outcome would have been different. We were up by 10 at half.

33 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe.  i don't think foley was that great even though parcells chose him over odennell.  the thing is that parcells never depended on a superstar qb for his team's success.  i'm sure giaints fans will disagree but simms and certainly hostedtler were good qb's but not hof types.  in the same way bledsoe wasn't that great and neither was vinny.  but mirer was a disaster.  if he went to lucas early on the team might've won an extra 2 games.

Foley played well in week 1 of 98 on the road.  Jets lost that game because it was a shootout and then Foley got hurt and Vinny took over

it’s one of the great what ifs.  A couple years later the Ravens win a Super Bowl with a qb who wasn’t much better

On 8/24/2020 at 11:38 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

The '98 Jets was the best team since the merger, and it's really not all that close.  The '98 team was +150 in net points (+9.4 per game), tops in franchise history.

The next highest post-merger team was the '85 Jets, at +129, followed by the 2009 Jets (+112), and 2015 Jets (+73).

And if you're wondering about schedule strength, the '98 Jets faced the 8th toughest schedule in franchise history.  When factoring in schedule strength, the best post-merger teams in history could be ranked something like this:

1. 1998 Jets (+150, # 8 toughest schedule)
  2. 2009 Jets (+112, # 12 schedule)
  3. 1985 Jets (+129, # 19 schedule)
  4. 2004 Jets (+72, # 6 schedule)
  5. 2010 Jets (+63, # 4 schedule)

The '82 team had a point differential of 79 points but that was in only 9 games. 

The Offensive and defensive line were incredible. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

The '82 team had a point differential of 79 points but that was in only 9 games. 

The Offensive and defensive line were incredible. 

Right, which is why it is hard to put it up there; really would have needed to see how the season would have gone in a full season. 

Much the same way the '94 Expos may well have been one of the greatest teams of all time, but we never got to find out.  I know that happened in reverse ('82 NFL postseason happened but not the '94 MLB postseason), but my point stands.  9 games is very different from 16. 

The 2008 Jets were 8-3 and had the # 1 offense in the league by Week 11.  Then what happened?

On 8/24/2020 at 8:01 AM, nyjunc said:

The Curtis fumble didn't kill them, they were near midfield and Denver didn't score off of it.

The biggest play was the McCaffrey play.  That completely changed that game and the Jets never recovered.  Another choke by a Bill Belichick led D.

Lol, definitely not fair.  

On 8/24/2020 at 7:58 AM, T0mShane said:

Curtis Martin fumble, Victor Green being Victor Green and blowing his coverage assignment on McCaffrey, then Vinny not being able to get a little more mustard on a pass to Richie Anderson at the goal line. True heartbreak.

Still kills me.  Up 10-0 in the 2nd half and I'm confident we would've beaten the Falcons in the Superbowl.  We were so close to winning it all that year.  And in the blink of an eye, it's somehow 22 years later.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:07 AM, T0mShane said:

I think I remember it as being a bigger deal because Terrell Davis was going hog wild and Curtis looked like he was 100 years old.

To be fair, the Broncos' defense played great that day.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:59 AM, nyjunc said:

It's the best full season I've ever seen and I think an argument can be made they were best in franchise history.  I'm sure they win the SB if they get a bye and host conference championship that they didn't deserve like the 1968 Jets.

Back at it I see. I think you should stop criticizing and downplaying the greatest season in franchise history just because you weren’t alive to witness it. It’s tiresome and ignorant. 

Speaking of ignorant, you might want to brush up on the rules for hosting AFL (and NFL) Championship games pre-merger. Both leagues alternated hosting by division/ conference regardless of record. The AFL had two divisions- East and West. The NFL had two conferences -East and West. In 1968, it was the East Division winner’s year to host the AFL title game, just as it was in 1966 and 1964. So based on the rules of the league back then, the Jets rightfully hosted the game against Oakland in December 1968.

Interestingly, it was also the Eastern Confernce team that hosted the NFL title game in 1968. So the 10-4 Browns were the home team against the 13-1 Colts. There are examples of this throughout the pre- merger history of both leagues. The 66 Chiefs won the AFC title game in Buffalo. Similarly, the 66 Packers won the NFL title in Dallas. 

You might want to do a little research before making such statements next time. 

And maybe it’s time you gave the 1968 team the respect it deserves as the best Jets team of all time and stop with these petty uninformed arguments of “undeserved” home games.

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, Biggs said:

33 27 is a huge difference.  You completely discount the venue and the turnovers.  You're also making the argument that the D lost that game.  The O scored 3 points, we had 6 turnovers.  I watched the game.  The turnovers buried us.  We had a chance to get a bigger lead in the first half and blew it.  Time and venue was against us.  The D gave us the lead, the special teams and O put our D in a terrible position.  

The Jax game was never in doubt.  In spite of that we only won by 10.  The O had 2 turnovers in the 4th quarter and Jax was held to a field goal.  The D had 3 picks in that game.  

Keep discounting that football is a team game.  

No it's not, it's one longer possession.  If they Jets get 3 more minutes of TOP it's even.  That's not why they lost.  They lost for many reasons but the genius DC was given a 10 point second half lead and blew it.

It was a bad weather game, it was a game made for defenses.  Denver's D outplayed our D. That doesn't mean the O doesn't get blame but the better D won that game.

The Jets O clearly won the Jacksonville game which should have been a blowout.  Up 17-0 they allow a hail Mary at end of half to give the jags hope.  The O then comes out and stretches it back to 24-7 so it should have been over then, right?  Nope but the Jets O kept scoring and the Jets D kept allowing points.  Jacksonville had the ball with 2 1/2 to play in a one score game.  

On 8/29/2020 at 11:20 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Back at it I see. I think you should stop criticizing and downplaying the greatest season in franchise history just because you weren’t alive to witness it. It’s tiresome and ignorant. 

Speaking of ignorant, you might want to brush up on the rules for hosting AFL (and NFL) Championship games pre-merger. Both leagues alternated hosting by division/ conference regardless of record. The AFL had two divisions- East and West. The NFL had two conferences -East and West. In 1968, it was the East Division winner’s year to host the AFL title game, just as it was in 1966 and 1964. So based on the rules of the league back then, the Jets rightfully hosted the game against Oakland in December 1968.

Interestingly, it was also the Eastern Confernce team that hosted the NFL title game in 1968. So the 10-4 Browns were the home team against the 13-1 Colts. There are examples of this throughout the pre- merger history of both leagues. The 66 Chiefs won the AFC title game in Buffalo. Similarly, the 66 Packers won the NFL title in Dallas. 

You might want to do a little research before making such statements next time. 

And maybe it’s time you gave the 1968 team the respect it deserves as the best Jets team of all time and stop with these petty uninformed arguments of “undeserved” home games.

I appreciate the 1968 team but they were very fortunate.  If the same rules apply the 1998 team wins the SB.

They had to win ONE game to get to the super bowl, they essentially received a bye they didn't earn as KC and Oak had to play a tiebreaker.  They had a worse record than Oakland AND lost to Oakland yet hosted. I get it that they hosted but it was still good fortune to host a game they didn't deserve to host.  This would be equivalent to Denver playing a week earlier, the Jets having a bye and then hosting the AFC Championship Game.

I can't help you if you cannot acknowledge that they were fortunate with the rules and oak/KC having to play another game.  That doesn't mean they didn't deserve to win the SB but it was the easiest path to a SB in SB history. Only one other team had to win just one playoff game to get to the SB- the 1966 Packers but their opponent didn't have a bye and they had the best record when they hosted the NFL Championship Game.

On 8/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Right, which is why it is hard to put it up there; really would have needed to see how the season would have gone in a full season. 

Much the same way the '94 Expos may well have been one of the greatest teams of all time, but we never got to find out.  I know that happened in reverse ('82 NFL postseason happened but not the '94 MLB postseason), but my point stands.  9 games is very different from 16. 

The 2008 Jets were 8-3 and had the # 1 offense in the league by Week 11.  Then what happened?

The QB ruined our season, that's what happened.  He was mediocre/bad most of that season through 11 games then quit on us later in the season.

On 8/28/2020 at 8:35 AM, Philc1 said:

Foley played well in week 1 of 98 on the road.  Jets lost that game because it was a shootout and then Foley got hurt and Vinny took over

it’s one of the great what ifs.  A couple years later the Ravens win a Super Bowl with a qb who wasn’t much better

We didn't have the Ravens D and Dilfer was much better than Foley.  Foley's 1998 opener was like Browning Nagle's opener in 1992.

The Jets were 0-2 with Foley, he got hurt and they won the next 2 games.  He came back and they lost again before Vinny was named the starter and they took off.

If Foley doesn't get hurt Vinny would have taken over full time sooner.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:43 PM, Philc1 said:

Glenn Foley won one game as a starter for the Jets, he never won a game that he started and finished.  I think we would have been better with him than mirer but would we have been better with him over Lucas who went 6-3 as a starter that year?  I don't think so.

On 8/25/2020 at 8:02 AM, nyjunc said:

The Jets committed 6 turnovers to Denver's 0.