MMQB Sam Darnold's Development

Gangrene

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What more do you need to see? He’s an outlier that just hasn’t had enough reps, and practice as a QB to take the next step but he’s getting there. It’s no secret he was incredibly young (youngest QB to start in the NFL), no secret he was raw (didn’t play QB until a junior in HS). 

Isn't the issue that you are trying to make up for 6+ years of daily reps a guy like Mayfield had that Darnold didn't in real time against top flight competition? Those years he wasn't playing QB don't come back.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No.

If any of you REALLY believed in your golden boy, you'd only have to simply say "Just wait and see what he does in 2020, he'll silence you critics".

But not a damn one of you neg-repping homers actually truly believe in him enough to say such a bold thing. 

Because lets be honest, almost none of you actually believe he's going to produce to a franchise QB level in 2020.

So please, save me the faux offense.  I'll stop being critical, when he starts producing like a 1st + 3x 2nd type Franchise QB.

Just wait and see what he does in 2020, he'll silence you haters.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No.

If any of you REALLY believed in your golden boy, you'd only have to simply say "Just wait and see what he does in 2020, he'll silence you critics".

But not a damn one of you neg-repping homers actually truly believe in him enough to say such a bold thing. 

Because lets be honest, almost none of you actually believe he's going to produce to a franchise QB level in 2020.

So please, save me the faux offense.  I'll stop being critical, when he starts producing like a 1st + 3x 2nd type Franchise QB.

I would venture to guess that is because you are trying to put goals on him that are team dependent while also trying to evaluate him in a vacuum. Putting up franchise QB numbers relies heavily on our OL and WR's. It is hard to say Sam will put up FQB numbers when the 5 people on our OL have never worked together, we've had no off-season, and our #2 WR is currently Jeff Smith. 

Your whole argument essentially boils down to Joe Montana, Peyton Manning and Brady should be able to put up franchise numbers with 3 olineman and 2 high school WR's against a full stacked NFL D. They SHOULD be able to put up great numbers because "no excuses" and if they were so good, they should be able to overcome. It's flawed logic. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Isn't the issue that you are trying to make up for 6+ years of daily reps a guy like Mayfield had that Darnold didn't in real time against top flight competition? Those years he wasn't playing QB don't come back.

Exactly. Darnolds an awesome athlete but he’s working on being a great QB. 
If you read the book OUTLIERS it spells out becoming great at your craft takes time effort & Reps. Look how long it took Vinnie Testeverde to come even close to what people expected. 
There is no harder job than NFL QB. Patrick Mahomes dropped into an absolutely perfect scenario, a well run team, a GREAT offensive coach, and surrounded by play makers, one, the scariest little WR in the league in Tyreek Hill, the best or 2nd best TE in the league, I mean Sammy Watkins was his 4th option ?
Sam Darnold will be the Jets QB for years to come & with the plethora of draft picks the next 2 years JD will be surrounding him with some more talent to grow with. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

His kiddie awards in the minors mean very very little to me.

You know when I'll get excited?  4,000+ Passing Yards.  30 TD's vs. 15 or fewer INT's.  65% Comp. rate or higher.

Then I too will believe in the Golden Boy.  Till then, it's all hot air like a wet fart.

Homer's gonna Homer.  

Actually, a wet fart is more than just hot air!

• Haha 4

lets see what he does on the field.  IMHO if he becomes more consistent and has people (coaches and players) function within their roles within the scheme... he should improve.  I like him and want him to succeed because I am a Jet fan... but lets see what he does on the field.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

His kiddie awards in the minors mean very very little to me.

You know when I'll get excited?  4,000+ Passing Yards.  30 TD's vs. 15 or fewer INT's.  65% Comp. rate or higher.

Then I too will believe in the Golden Boy.  Till then, it's all hot air like a wet fart.

Homer's gonna Homer.  

he was pretty much one game away from those numbers - (take out NE game and scale up the rest to a full year) - and yet your debbie downer still shows up.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

The one thing I love about Darnold is that, unlike Sanchez, he really does seem to learn from and attack his mistakes and weaknesses. Sanchez would always say the right things into the microphone ("gotta learn not to make that throw", "forget your mistakes and move on" etc.) but you could always tell that the bad play from earlier in the game was eating at him in his head. 

not to mention that he is more concerned about football then being a celebrity....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's smart that Sam Darnold is learning the Jordan Palmer curriculum 

pro football isn't going to last forever 

maybe he and Sanchize can start a branch together

"teaching" young floppy haired preps to play quarterback in the California sun

Yeah, and then when they're done with that, maybe they can become miserable people who spend their free time sh*tting on other peoples hope and happiness to start a draft blog that averages 2 viewers a month together.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, slats said:

I’m also confused as to why Darnold isn’t putting up top numbers on an offense skillfully crafted by Mike Maccagnan and John Idzik. 

Must be the California sun.  

Only QBs that play under the Florida sun are successful, real men.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

he was pretty much one game away from those numbers - (take out NE game and scale up the rest to a full year) - and yet your debbie downer still shows up.

LOL, well sure, if we take away the worst games, we can pretend anyone is an All-Pro.

My "debbie downer" will continue to show up till our Golden Boy QB produces like a #3 Draft Pick that cost a #1 and three #3's starts to produce like it.  Moral victories and feel good stories of aw shucks how hard he's learning do not inspire me.  Wins, passing yards, and TD's inspire me.  Cherry picked stats vs. Tomato Can opponents after the team starts 1-7 doesn't impress me.

4,000+ Yards.  30 TD's. >15 INT's.  65% Comp. Rate.  That will impress me, and he DOES have the potential to get there.  So get there.

I'll repeat, if you believe in Sam, the only reply you need give me is "just watch, he WILL produce in 2020".  it's an excellent test to see who actually believes in Sam vs. who just like playing the Faux-offended Homer role on the forums.

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Also the stepping in the bvuckegt on deep throws isn;t mentioned....

I think that's the biggest issue.  It seems last season he developed some bad habits, sometimes terrible footwork, probably due to his terrible protection.  But no excuses, he's got to correct that. 

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

nah, its used in " we should treat these 2 years as if he is tsill playing in college, so they dont REALLY count" except he's a starting NFL QB.

not from me.  and even so, just how many qb's have taken a bad team and transformed it from their rookie year onward?  marino?  those doltfins made the superbowl two years before marino went and were a playoff caliber team.  roethlisberger? he won in his second season, again with a playoff caliber team.  brady? he won it in his first season as starter.

Darnold went 4-9 in 2018 and improved to 7-6 in 2019.  He also had the Buffalo game where he probably should have never played and that awful New England game which maybe was a good thing for him since things got better after.  Most of his numbers improved as well from 2018 to 2019.  

His WRs are still questionable but the OL around him is better.  He seems to have built a rapport with Bell.  

The key for this season is staying healthy.  He can’t afford to miss another 3-4 games in 2020.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I think that's the biggest issue.  It seems last season he developed some bad habits, sometimes terrible footwork, probably due to his terrible protection.  But no excuses, he's got to correct that. 

there's a series of tweets...   pred-draft that I referenced at one time...  all these traits have been there....

https://twitter.com/EliotCrist/status/958728954889887745?s=20

I would be inclined to give Darnold a healthy extension after next year.  Make him play two years to avoid the fifth year option.  This will allow the Jets to continue to clean up the cap and draft better players.   Next year will be a touch cap year, and he still has to develop.  

But that will also be a bet on him.  He could be extended cheaper after this season, but my guess is that that does not feel right. 

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

LOL, well sure, if we take away the worst games, we can pretend anyone is an All-Pro.

My "debbie downer" will continue to show up till our Golden Boy QB produces like a #3 Draft Pick that cost a #1 and three #3's starts to produce like it.  Moral victories and feel good stories of aw shucks how hard he's learning do not inspire me.  Wins, passing yards, and TD's inspire me.  Cherry picked stats vs. Tomato Can opponents after the team starts 1-7 doesn't impress me.

4,000+ Yards.  30 TD's. >15 INT's.  65% Comp. Rate.  That will impress me, and he DOES have the potential to get there.  So get there.

I'll repeat, if you believe in Sam, the only reply you need give me is "just watch, he WILL produce in 2020".  it's an excellent test to see who actually believes in Sam vs. who just like playing the Faux-offended Homer role on the forums.

You're clueless

Taking away the NE game isn't just "taking away the worst game". It's taking away the largest statistical outlier in NFL history. That isn't an exaggeration, look it up. Darnold will never have another game that far from his mean ever again, its virtually a statistical impossibility. Not having another NE game is thousands of times more likely than having another one. Get that through your thick head. 

If Darnold improves in no tangible way and plays 16 games he will have 4k 65$ 2-1 TD INT ratio. I'll take that sh*t to the bank all day. Wanna put $100 on it? Pay pal works for me. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

His biggest issues are between the ears. 

I sometimes wonder about this, I am no expert so I cannot say that he sint processing at speed or whatever...  tho I have heard/read that...

the plays where he is late...or off time make me wonder....

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

I sometimes wonder about this, I am no expert so I cannot say that he sint processing at speed or whatever...  tho I have heard/read that...

He's the best anticipatory thrower you've ever seen in a Jets uniform. Not sure wtf you're talking about. 

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

my point is that HE was pretty close to this - 26 TD 12 INT 4k yards and 63% with a horrible OL, crappy WR and mono during the year.  and this takes all 12 of his games (ex 3 he missed and NE game) - so not just the fluff part of the schedule.  (or tomato can opponents as you call it)

and i expect him to get better.  

football is a team sport though which you seem to not understand.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

no offense but this rambling post leads to questions about between the ears.

7 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

His WRs are still questionable but the OL around him is better.  He seems to have built a rapport with Bell.  

The key for this season is staying healthy.  He can’t afford to miss another 3-4 games in 2020.  

Good point. FWIW, Perriman has missed 5, 6 and 2 games in the last 3 years has knee swelling that made him miss yesterdays practice...

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You're clueless

Taking away the NE game isn't just "taking away the worst game". It's taking away the largest statistical outlier in NFL history. That isn't an exaggeration, look it up. Darnold will never have another game that far from his mean ever again, its virtually a statistical impossibility. Not having another NE game is thousands of times more likely than having another one. Get that through your thick head. 

If Darnold improves in no tangible way and plays 16 games he will have 4k 65$ 2-1 TD INT ratio. I'll take that sh*t to the bank all day. Wanna put $100 on it? Pay pal works for me. 

and with a crappy OL.