Miami allowing fans in the stadium

Rhg1084

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Not the whether they can part, thats on the individual states.  They can not allow fans if the state says they can, not the other way around

What I'm saying is, all 32 owners can agree in 2020 to not play their games in front of fans. I understand that the states make the call regarding covid-19, but the owners and even the NFLPA to a degree can unite and say for a competitive balance they do not want fans in the stadiums during the 2020 season. The NFL has enough influence to make that happen.

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

What I'm saying is, all 32 owners can agree in 2020 to not play their games in front of fans. I understand that the states make the call regarding covid-19, but the owners and even the NFLPA to a degree can unite and say for a competitive balance they do not want fans in the stadiums during the 2020 season. The NFL has enough influence to make that happen.

Goodell won't allow a competitive balance if history is an indicator.  Blatant cheating by the patriots is just one example.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I totally agree and am not sure than by opening day they dont decide differently.

I think theyre holding out hope that other states fall in line and allow fans into their stadiums, even on a controlled basis

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

So you're OK with 1.5 million people dying, just as long as they die at a considerate pace.

Gotcha . . .

Come on OCCH23, I never said that. My point is COVID-19 spreads like wildfire and can put a major strain on a hospital in a hot spot. Example: Zero ICU beds available. "Elective" surgeries no longer being performed. People dying because the hospital has no more capacity to help people sitting in a waiting room. You ok with that?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Come on OCCH23, I never said that. My point is COVID-19 spreads like wildfire and can put a major strain on a hospital in a hot spot. Example: Zero ICU beds available. "Elective" surgeries no longer being performed. People dying because the hospital has no more capacity to help people sitting in a waiting room. You ok with that?

Doesn't change the fact that you (and others) have chosen to emphasize the POTENTIAL of one virus over the REALITY of another.  If you truly don't want to see people die, then shouldn't we ALWAYS wear masks, socially distance, etc, even when covid is "over"?  Shouldn't we outlaw smoking, drinking, and fast food, since those are the top 3 preventable deaths?  How many covid deaths wouldn't have occurred in the first place if the person didn't also have diabetes, heart disease, etc?

I know I'm rambling, and believe it or not I do see your point.  My original post was simply a reminder that we should be thankful the mortality numbers aren't like other diseases out there (that already have vaccines, preventative measures, etc and STILL kill millions).  I believe if people take proper precautions your worst-case scenario won't play out.  I also realize many will choose not to take those steps, but that's where personal responsibility has to make a return to society . . .

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

You don't actually care about that, because 95 % of those deaths (per the WHO) occur in developing countries.  You only bring it up to try to win a point.  

41 minutes ago, OCCH23 said:

Doesn't change the fact that you (and others) have chosen to emphasize the POTENTIAL of one virus over the REALITY of another.  If you truly don't want to see people die, then shouldn't we ALWAYS wear masks, socially distance, etc, even when covid is "over"?  Shouldn't we outlaw smoking, drinking, and fast food, since those are the top 3 preventable deaths?  How many covid deaths wouldn't have occurred in the first place if the person didn't also have diabetes, heart disease, etc?

That's actually not far from correct.  Countries like Japan have been doing that for many years.  

I'm not saying we need to wear masks all the time.  But it's a good idea for overall health and safety for people to continue to wear masks on a semi-regular basis, ESPECIALLY when you're sick and need to be out and about. 

It shows you care about your fellow human, which far too many Americans are demonstrating they simply don't.

NOTE:  The blog post below is from 2018, well before COVID.  There are many other articles/blog posts about the subject if you don't trust this one.

https://gogonihon.com/en/blog/why-do-japanese-people-wear-masks/

Why Japanese wear masks: a look behind health, etiquette, and culture

Surgical masks. To Westerners, they can conjure images of Japanese citizens waiting for their trains, tidily dressed and all the while donning white masks covering half their faces. At first glance, one might wonder, “Why do Japanese wear masks like that? Are they all that afraid of getting sick?” It’s a question I honestly wondered myself when I first started living here. The answer, however, is a bigger picture than I’d thought.

Not only relegated to flu season or fears of catching colds, masks have become a regular part of Japanese society. They’ve evolved to carry a wider definition, some not having anything to do with health reasons at all. Why then, are there so many masks in Japan? Does it really help? Let’s take a look at why they’re so important.

Five reasons behind the mask

1. Health

First and foremost is health. One of the biggest factors Japanese wear masks isn’t some outwardly self-preserving case of thinking everybody else is sick, but rather the opposite. Often times, it’s to prevent one’s own germs or sickness from spreading in public places; a critical point in the often extremely densely populated cities of Japan. As of 2015, Tokyo has a population of 9.273 million. This is Tokyo. One city. To put it more in perspective, the country of Japan is approximately the size of the state of California. In fact, it’s a bit smaller, but with about 89 million more people in Japan than in California—the state with the US’s biggest population.

With this many people packed into this small of an area, risk of contagion and disease is much higher. Japanese are taught the importance of prevention at an early age. When I worked in the public school system, it was all over the walls and bulletin boards as posters advocating personal hygiene. Students were made to wear masks when they participated in serving lunch to their peers, and it was always okay to wear a mask at any time if they felt they might be sick.

Public toilets encourage everyone maintain a high level of cleanliness in order to respect themselves and others. Not doing so is considered disrespectful—and you don’t want to be disrespectful in Japan! It’s therefore more a point of making sure others don’t get sick, as opposed to making sure one doesn’t get sick. Makes sense, right?

2. Dust and pollen

Aside from diseases, masks are a good defense against dust and pollen, especially in spring. Masks do filter out a large part of pollen particles, considering that these particles are fairly large. This is especially important from those suffering from asthma or pollen allergies.

Particulate matter 2.5, or PM 2.5, is the dust that causes pollution. It’s 2.5 micrometers. That’s small enough to sit in your body and cause diminished lung and heart function, asthma, and all kinds of complications. It comes from industrialization: coal, vehicles, chemical processes. With a proper mask, a majority of PM 2.5 can be safely filtered. Japanese morning news shows usually have a PM 2.5 rating for the day, warning everyone to wear masks on especially dangerous days.

3. Covering up

There are simpler reasons as well. Some Japanese wear masks to hide physical imperfections, or on days they just don’t want to use make-up. Masks cover hard-to-hide situations like pimples, zits, or scars. It’s an easy quick fix when you just want to cover yourself up for the day.

4. Fashion

It may seem a bit of a mystery to Westerners, but masks as fashion have become a major part of the Japanese world. A recent 2011 poll by Japanese news site News Post Seven surveyed 100 people in Tokyo and learned that 30 percent of Japanese wear masks for reasons not having to do with sickness. Originally seen as embarrassing and only to be worn if absolutely necessary, modern masks are now designed in a variety of colors and shapes to fit fashion trends. 3-D masks (立体 マ ス ク rittai masuku) that protrude and conform to the face are functional and aesthetically pleasing.

That’s not to say the original white masks aren’t cool anymore. You’ll still find plenty of those. In addition, there are pink masks for the Lolita girl subculture, studded black ones for metal fans, anime print masks, the list goes on. Many say the mask gives them a mysterious look, drawing in attention as they walk down the busy streets. Others say it hides their mouth, and for them that’s a good thing. Whatever the case, more and more young people are using masks for everyday fashion reasons. Come over and walk around the cities. You’ll see for yourself!

5. Social anxiety

On a more personal note, some Japanese wear masks as a way to add a degree of separation between society and themselves. As a reserved culture very conscious of the judgement of others, those who are shy and lacking in self-esteem sometimes wear masks to hide from the bustling world.

Not reserved solely to prevent the spread of disease, masks have made their way into the Japanese mainstream, and are here to stay. It may seem quite different from the standards of health and fashion to the Western world, but it works over here!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL, who rebuilds their stadium and lops off 20,000 seats?  

And still doesnt sell out?  

Its why dolphin players and announcers hate the Jets, their stadium turns into MetLife South with the Jets fans and chants etc

Yep.  Last game I went to down there was the Matt Moore comeback when McCown threw the back breaker at the end.  It was all Jets the entire game and when the tides started turning, it was almost laughable at how the home crowd almost matched the noise the Jets fans were making earlier in the game.  It was me and my father in law who is Dolphins fan and we had the entire row of seats, nobody in front of us, nobody in back.  It was 100 degrees outside but we were feet up just hanging out, taking up space, having a pleasant conversation all game....and we had good seats lower deck, 40 yard line...lol.  

30 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Oh man.  This is a game changer!  

800,000+ dead bodies is not "pseudoscience".  And there's been enough reports of large gatherings leading to a spike in cases to suggest he's wrong there.

As impressive as Van Morrison's medical credentials are, I suggest he stick to music for now.  Leave it to the epidemiologists on this one, perhaps.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yep.  Last game I went to down there was the Matt Moore comeback when McCown threw the back breaker at the end.  It was all Jets the entire game and when the tides started turning, it was almost laughable at how the home crowd almost matched the noise the Jets fans were making earlier in the game.  It was me and my father in law who is Dolphins fan and we had the entire row of seats, nobody in front of us, nobody in back.  It was 100 degrees outside but we were feet up just hanging out, taking up space, having a pleasant conversation all game....and we had good seats lower deck, 40 yard line...lol.  

It never ceases to amaze me.  I've been down for the last 6 games and the crowd is scarce and mostly Jets fans.  

Weird crowds.  A lot of guys with their girlfriends.  Guys watching the game, GF is on her phone.  Just not the same as our home games.  For all the bitching people who complain about the home crowd, try some of the other cities.  Even NE.  Have a friend who came with me to a home Jets/Pats game at MetLife and he couldn't believe how into it the crowd was.  He hates the Jets but loved it.

Best was the year the Jets fans unraveled a long banner along the wall "And the Home of the Jets!"

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

800,000+ dead bodies is not "pseudoscience".  And there's been enough reports of large gatherings leading to a spike in cases to suggest he's wrong there.

As impressive as Van Morrison's medical credentials are, I suggest he stick to music for now.  Leave it to the epidemiologists on this one, perhaps.

Crosby Stills & Nash just tweeted that masks don’t work

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You don't actually care about that, because 95 % of those deaths (per the WHO) occur in developing countries.  You only bring it up to try to win a point.  

And half the covid deaths happened to people in nursing homes who could care less if i go to a football game.

Pot / kettle?

23 hours ago, Gangrene said:

A large number of Kansas City fans attending a recent practice removed their masks once they gained entry.

What happens when a good portion of NFL fans take off their masks while attending NFL games? 

Yep. Welcome to what college campuses that tried to pull off in-person instruction are experiencing right now. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Covering up

There are simpler reasons as well. Some Japanese wear masks to hide physical imperfections, or on days they just don’t want to use make-up. Masks cover hard-to-hide situations like pimples, zits, or scars. It’s an easy quick fix when you just want to cover yourself up for the day.

Suggest T0m wear a full body mask going forward on this point alone

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OCCH23 said:

And half the covid deaths happened to people in nursing homes who could care less if i go to a football game.

Pot / kettle?

Associated with nursing homes and assisted living facilities.  As in nurses, caretakers, porters etc

And yeah, ill compromised people and old people are more likely to die if they get COVID.  

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazing that people scream that scientists and doctors dont know wtf theyre talking about and then cite Van Morrison.  Who lives off of crowds of people gathering for his live performances

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Amazing that people scream that scientists and doctors dont know wtf theyre talking about and then cite Van Morrison.  Who lives off of crowds of people gathering for his live performances

Team Anti-Mask / COVID Hoax sure has a lot of winners on it!  Science is gay and everything is fine.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Team Anti-Mask / COVID Hoax sure has a lot of winners on it!  Science is gay and everything is fine.

Also I dont get how a lot of people in close quarters like in a nursing home and assisted living facility spread COVID to each other like wildfire.  How does that make the argument that restricting events with people in close quarters is wrong? 

I had it, was in the hospital two weeks, doctors are amazed I pulled through.  Amazes me that people think its a hoax and are so against simple procedures to lessen the risk.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are a multitude of doctors with differing opinions on what to do. Universal lockdowns is sure as hell not the overall consensus. The ones enforcing these arbitrary rules are not doctors. Most of of them are lawyers/politicians...shockingly. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There are a multitude of doctors with differing opinions on what to do. Universal lockdowns is sure as hell not the overall consensus. The ones enforcing these arbitrary rules are not doctors. Most of of them are lawyers/politicians...shockingly. 

On both sides where you land this is often dictated by whether you stand to gain or lose by the government response. The truth is that this is way more serious than the flu, but also not nearly as bad as originally sold. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's coming out with a new song called "Deep State Girl"

• Haha 1