Curtis Martin compares Adam Gase to Bill Belichick: 'I think he’s one of those guys'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/new-york-jets-legend-compares-adam-gase-to-bill-belichick

New York Jets legend compares Adam Gase to Bill Belichick: 'I think he’s one of those guys'

Hall of Famer Curtis Martin: 'I just think that Adam is a unique guy'

Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin, who played for both the New York Jets and New England Patriots, says the two division rivals may have something in common.

After the Jets fell to a 1-7 start last season under first-year head coach Adam Gase, they ended up finishing with a 7-9 record, and according to Martin -- who is in the Jets’ ‘Ring of Honor' -- Gase showed plenty of promise, and he went as far as saying he is comparable to the Patriots’ legendary head coach.

“I just think that Adam is a unique guy, I think he’s one of those guys – how would I describe it?” Martin told Sports Illustrated’s Jets Country. “Belichick reminds me almost of a mad scientist of football, right? He figures things out. He just has that kind of mind. Belichick is almost ‘A Beautiful Mind’ of the NFL.

“And there’s something about Adam that -- I think he has that type -- I’m not saying he’s Belichick or the exact same or anything -- there’s just similarities in the way he approaches the game that just reminds me of people who think that way.”

As the head coach of the Patriots, Belichick has gone 237-83 and has six Super Bowl titles.

Back in 2000, Belichick was the Jets’ head coach for one full day before resigning and becoming the man in charge in New England.

Martin was drafted by the Patriots in 1995, and he spent three seasons there before being traded to the Jets, where he put together eight brilliant years as the featured back in New York.

“It’s more from a strategic standpoint. He’s a very strategic guy,” Martin said of Gase. “He understands Xs and Os on a deeper level. It will be interesting to see what goes on this year,” Martin said. “I think he’s done a pretty good job so far.”

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

They have similar starts to their careers

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Not true. Gase has a better start to his head coaching career. 

First coaching gig (Both Fired) -

Belicheck  36-44 (.450%)

Gase  23-25 (.479%)

Second coaching gig (first year) - 

Belicheck  5-11 (.313%) with a roster that was loaded with talent

Gase  7-9 (.438%) with a roster that was extremely deficient in talent

If we want to compare the two, this is the season that would matter. Belicheck went 11-5 in his second season with the Pats. But at this exact point of Gase's coaching career, he is technically better than Belicheck was. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

37 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Gase is supposed to be an offensive guru.

No, Manish Mehta says that he’s supposed to be an offensive guru and you fell for it.  

Adam Gase is a damned good head coach.  If you don’t like our offense, take it up with the offensive coordinator. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Gase is supposed to be an offensive guru. It doesn’t show so far. He seems more like a control kook that won’t bend or change to his talent. He’s got this season to impress. I have my doubts. 

the guru part is garbage.

hes an oc. preferably to yet another DC. meh as a Hc so far. a football geek.

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Gase is supposed to be an offensive guru. It doesn’t show so far. He seems more like a control kook that won’t bend or change to his talent. He’s got this season to impress. I have my doubts. 

What are you basing this on?  Darnold missed almost half the season last year, our backup QB went down, considering how the team finished, I'd say he is a guru to get the team to reset itself when Darnold did come back!

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, Manish Mehta says that he’s supposed to be an offensive guru and you fell for it.  

Adam Gase is a damned good head coach.  If you don’t like our offense, take it up with the offensive coordinator. 

SAR I

Cincinnati and Miami certainly think so.

Not true. Gase has a better start to his head coaching career. 

First coaching gig (Both Fired) -
Belicheck  36-44 (.450%)
Gase  23-25 (.479%)

Second coaching gig (first year) - 
Belicheck  5-11 (.313%) with a roster that was loaded with talent
Gase  7-9 (.438%) with a roster that was extremely deficient in talent

If we want to compare the two, this is the season that would matter. Belicheck went 11-5 in his second season with the Pats. But at this exact point of Gase's coaching career, he is technically better than Belicheck was. 

I’m not sure how to judge Gase yet the easiest summary is that he’s one of the few guys who actually deserves every single “excuse” he has but at some point if the guys this unlucky than we have to cut ties ... He’s the pinnacle of jokes around the league especially in the fantasy community and I don’t get it , you’d think he we Kotite with the abuse he gets but the reality is he’s nearly a .500 coach with a playoff appearance in 4 years , the kicker is he’s had 36 starts with the QBs that we’re supposed to be franchise qbs in Darnold and Tannehill and 28 with their backups or their backups backup ... being 4 games off .500 under those circumstances is actually pretty remarkable . I can’t say exactly how talented dolphins offenses were in his time there but we know what he had to work with here last year , the most injury hit jets team I’ve ever seen and that wouldn’t even have mattered because the offensive line was so bad they would have been equally horrible without all the team injuries . Again these are all very valid excuses but after a while does it even matter ? Hope we’re healthy this year and that the line play is at very least occasionally adequate

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1