Jetsfan80

Curtis Martin compares Adam Gase to Bill Belichick: 'I think he’s one of those guys'

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet the Jets were underdogs in each game

We get to play the record game both ways I guess.   I mean, we get to draw conclusions off of the Dolphins game game because they were one of the worst teams in football the 1st half of the season?  Worse that the Jets?  Worse than the 1-7 team we were?  You do realize this right?  

Tbh, I don't know that we were underdogs in those games.  I realize SAR I said that but he also is of the opinion we beat the Bills twice.  If we were underdog to these teams, though, I'm sure it had plenty to do with not just talent, but also with odds-makers thinking that our team was poorly coached.  

After all, when the Pats lost Brady for that one season (where they still went like 11-5), people (correctly) assumed that BB would overcome it.  In other words, good coaches get respect. 

11 hours ago, GreekJet said:

1) Curtis Martin is never going to say anything bad about anyone in public. 

2) I doubt Curtis even watches the NFL very much these days. The guy used to freely admit that he wasn’t a big football fan and looked at it as a job. 

Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin never liked football, and he hated New York and the Jets

Curtis Martin compared who to what now
I also saw he's predicting playoffs this year 

honest question is he still employed by the team as an "ambassador" 

or was this just a contract gig 

say optimistic things for hire 

Maybe Curtis "My Favorite" Martin likes Adam Gase because he is kind of Martian-like.

279206850_AdamGaseLookingAround.gif.4145f5335dc24f916d9e0c50801d90fa.gif

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Did I?  I remember right before the season started predicting them at 10-6.  But I can't really take that seriously because it was probably just me being excited for the start of the season.  Regardless, how can you say I had them at a certain record "perfectly healthy"?  Anyone who has watched football for any length of time knows injuries (and, thus, depth) are a huge part of the sport.  

Adam Gase is a good NFL head coach.  Admit it.  

I mean, it’s only the most important position on the entire team so why be excited about it when you can be depressed.  I never took you for an Eeyore. 

SAR I

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Curtis Martin compared who to what now
I also saw he's predicting playoffs this year 

honest question is he still employed by the team as an "ambassador" 

or was this just a contract gig 

say optimistic things for hire 

And if Curtis Martin was talking positively about Lamical Perine you’d accept it at face value.  

Cancel Gase culture knows no bounds. 

SAR I

• Haha 1

The question that the reporter should have then posed was “ if hypothetically speaking, you owned the Jets, would Gase be your head coach?”

I doubt it 

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase is a good NFL head coach.  Admit it.  

I mean, it’s only the most important position on the entire team so why be excited about it when you can be depressed.  I never took you for an Eeyore. 

SAR I

I'm excited about our GM and our QB but, so far, Gase has done nothing to impress me.  Our 2nd half schedule was embarrassingly easy.  And the one time we even had a sliver of hope at getting in the playoff hunt, we laid an egg against the winless Bengals. 

As for early in the season, I fully agree this team was in shambles (between injuries and Darnold's mono) but I didn't see the team show very much fight.  The Patriots spanked us twice.  The Browns beat us by 20.  The Eagles dominated us.  We lost by 8 to the winless Dolphins.  We even got outclassed by the freaking Jaguars.

I'm sorry but if Gase were the coach you're saying he is then we wouldn't have had so many bad losses like these. To me, it's pretty clear that he can't elevate a bad team (admittedly, not many HCs can, but those are the ones who deserve the kind of praise that you've been heaping on Gase).  Our only hope is that he's able to do a better job with a good team (which hopefully we have this year, now that JD has had a chance to make an impact).

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm sorry but if Gase were the coach you're saying he is then we wouldn't have had so many bad losses like these. To me, it's pretty clear that he can't elevate a bad team

WHAAAAAAT?

The Week 9-17 Jets were the very definition of a “bad team” and Gase elevated them to a 6-2 record!  Vegas and every expert had us at 2-6 at best.  

We’ve been looking for a franchise quarterback and a franchise head coach for 40 years.  Now that they’re both here you shouldn’t be running the SOJF playbook.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

After all, when the Pats lost Brady for that one season (where they still went like 11-5), people (correctly) assumed that BB would overcome it.  In other words, good coaches get respect. 

1.  Cassel was more than good enough at QB.  See time in KC

2.  The team was loaded. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

WHAAAAAAT?

The Week 9-17 Jets were the very definition of a “bad team” and Gase elevated them to a 6-2 record!  Vegas and every expert had us at 2-6 at best.  

We’ve been looking for a franchise quarterback and a franchise head coach for 40 years.  Now that they’re both here you shouldn’t be running the SOJF playbook.  

SAR I

Gase didn't elevate anything.  We played almost all crappy teams in the 2nd half of the year.  And the one "big game" we played in (which would've put us back in the conversation for "slim chance for the playoffs" as opposed to "playing out the string") was against the Bengals, where we laid an egg.

The one game in the 2nd half of the year that I was honestly most impressed by was against the Ravens.  At least we played them tough in the 1st half of that game.  Other than that, am I really supposed to get so excited over beating the Steelers (with their 3rd string QB) or the Bills (who were resting up for the playoffs) or the Giants/Redskins (who were just as bad if not worse than we were) or the Dolphins, who we eked out a victory against (to avoid getting swept by them).  We blew out the Raiders though!   

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  Cassel was more than good enough at QB.  See time in KC

2.  The team was loaded. 

If Gase were coaching that Patriots team, they would've been lucky to get 8 wins.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Gase were coaching that Patriots team, they would've been lucky to get 8 wins.

Want to prove that somehow?

Seriously.  You think he could get 7 out of last years Jets team and needs luck for only one more out of a loaded Pats team with Cassel QB?  

Ugh, cant agree, not a solid case for you here

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

However it was the Fins who went from 1-15 to 11-5 winning the east that year with the addition of Chaddy cakes..

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Want to prove that somehow?

Seriously.  You think he could get 7 out of last years Jets team and needs luck for only one more out of a loaded Pats team with Cassel QB?  

Ugh, cant agree, not a solid case for you here

Last year's Jet team played a really easy 2nd half schedule, and the whole season we had it easy as far as travel. 

Heck, we were pretty fortunate that we didn't go 0-6 against our division (we eked out a win against the Dolphins and the Bills were resting up week 17).

Gase stunk last year.

27 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Last year's Jet team played a really easy 2nd half schedule, and the whole season we had it easy as far as travel. 

Heck, we were pretty fortunate that we didn't go 0-6 against our division (we eked out a win against the Dolphins and the Bills were resting up week 17).

Gase stunk last year.

So now we're full circle, back where we started with you talking about our easy games.

You know the undefeated Dolphins played one of the easiest schedule of all time, no one ever talks about it.  

Your schedule is your schedule.  I have no idea about what the Pats schedule was like back then, nor do I care but you should look at the murderers row they played.  Not a winning record until week 5.  

Gase won 7 games last year.  Sucks that 7 doesnt fit the sucks angle.  So we make shlt up like he would have been lucky to win 8 in NE and then ignore the why's, coming back to the weak 2nd half of 2019.  

• Upvote 1

So obviously some of you have yet to pass the Adam Gase EYE test!?

Here are some facts that you are more than welcome to cross-reference if you don't believe me.

Adam Gase actually stems from the Bill Belichick coaching tree. He happens to be very good friends with Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels. 

Bill Belichick and Adam Gase not only stayed in the same hotel during the latest Indianapolis NFL combine but were sharing Uber rides back and forth.

While working under Nick Saban, who happens to be Bill Belichick's long-time best friend, Adam Gase, Josh McDaniels the Patriots offensive coordinator and Brian Daboll the Bills offensive coordinator all shared an apartment together.

Let's add in that Peyton Manning actually called the owner of the New York Jets to vouch for Adam Gase. As well as High Praise from guys like Mike Martz, Steve Mariucci, John Fox and Nick Saban.

My point is you don't rub elbows with the best of the best unless they consider you one of them.

Gase has worked his way up through the ranks of the boys club in the NFL. I think some of you guys don't realize how good we actually have it right now.

Here's a picture of Saban, Gase, McDaniels, and Daboll on the golf course. LOL. All of a sudden the Patriots are willing to do business and trade with the Jets? I see what's up.

i.jpeg

Our schedule was embarrassingly easy in the 2nd half (when we got almost all of our wins).

I get that it was , but in terms of talent we are/were at or sometimes below those teams , we are the “easy” and we also could have easily completely deflated at 1-7 but we beat 6/8 teams equal or close in talent in second half with most players aware that it was over at 1-7

Again I’m not trying to cover for Gase I think he has real legitimate excuses , he has a decent record even a good when considering he’s had a backup QB for 35-40% of his games as a hc. I don’t like that some players clearly don’t view him as their leader and I don’t know how to even judge his offensive system , he doesn’t change a whole lot even with injuries which is a huge negative . He’s just an odd case when he look at his history and I think if he puts it together he could be a special hc, but I understand he’s out of hear if fans are unhappy after this year and he will be because when are we ever happy as hey fans

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So now we're full circle, back where we started with you talking about our easy games.

You know the undefeated Dolphins played one of the easiest schedule of all time, no one ever talks about it.  

Your schedule is your schedule.  I have no idea about what the Pats schedule was like back then, nor do I care but you should look at the murderers row they played.  Not a winning record until week 5.  

Gase won 7 games last year.  Sucks that 7 doesnt fit the sucks angle.  So we make shlt up like he would have been lucky to win 8 in NE and then ignore the why's, coming back to the weak 2nd half of 2019.  

We had 1 victory against a team with a winning record last year, and that was in week 17 when the Bills were resting their starters.  The Patriots and Ravens (both upper echelon) pushed us around.  The Eagles weren't particularly good last year but they beat the snot out of us.  We came very close to getting swept by the Dolphins and we easily could've gone 0-6 in the division.

image.png.038b36ebabe25d932e91f529fd6947bb.png

Screenshot_20190116-134213_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d9564669b891f6e57ba3c4a20a9caeba.jpg20190818_004828.jpg.a9ca5068b4dce20e0dd2558aeb89c910.jpgCurtis Martin is absolutely correct, and I've been saying this from day one ! And it's sad that most of you are fair weather fantasy, FanDuel, Madden fans, who don't actually understand the game of football.
It's all good cause [mention=9488]SAR I[/mention] and myself have our shovels at the ready and are standing next to the heaping piles of crow, ready to dish it all out for ya!! 
So keep on talkin'

Throw me in with you two . Except I can’t say I know Gase is good I just see the circumstances he has had and how bad his record really should be. The rare football genius is there but can he translate it on field and learn to deal with or develop the other life or social skills needed to be a great hc . But the idea that he’s the laughingstock of the league )and he is it comes up all the time in fantasy podcasts and other news) is just so extremely over-critical of people that laugh at anything the jets do and haven’t actually looked at the details of what Gase has worked with in his career so far

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Death2NE said:

I get that it was , but in terms of talent we are/were at or sometimes below those teams , we are the “easy” and we also could have easily completely deflated at 1-7 but we beat 6/8 teams equal or close in talent in second half with most players aware that it was over at 1-7

Again I’m not trying to cover for Gase I think he has real legitimate excuses , he has a decent record even a good when considering he’s had a backup QB for 35-40% of his games as a hc. I don’t like that some players clearly don’t view him as their leader and I don’t know how to even judge his offensive system , he doesn’t change a whole lot even with injuries which is a huge negative . He’s just an odd case when he look at his history and I think if he puts it together he could be a special hc, but I understand he’s out of hear if fans are unhappy after this year and he will be because when are we ever happy as hey fans

I agree that he had legit excuses early in the year (especially with Darnold out) but I just can't forgive how poorly we played in those games.

We had 5 double digit losses in our 1st 7 games (and we had a loss to Miami by 8 points).  We also looked pretty lifeless most of the time. 

Losing by 25 to the Eagles?! 

By 20 to the Browns?! 

By 14 to the Jags?! 

Again, I can accept the losses but I have a hard time believing that we were so much worse than these mediocre teams (and let's not pretend that the Eagles were very good last year).

I've just never seen a HC get such praise for doing so little ("he could be special!").  Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see where any of this is coming from.  And I also want to reiterate that our travel schedule is likely never going to be easier than it was last year.

EDIT:

And if the Pats didn't take it easy on us in week 3, we would've had 4  20+ point losses in our first 6 games (and probably 2 of them would've been 30+).  

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We had 1 victory against a team with a winning record last year, and that was in week 17 when the Bills were resting their starters.  The Patriots and Ravens (both upper echelon) pushed us around.  The Eagles weren't particularly good last year but they beat the snot out of us.  We came very close to getting swept by the Dolphins and we easily could've gone 0-6 in the division.

image.png.038b36ebabe25d932e91f529fd6947bb.png

So when I said I could care about the records, you play who you have to play.  That we dont do this with every team, all their opponents scrutinized you thought it was time to break down the wins and losses?  LOL, come on man.  I did watch the games, I know what we played.  

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So when I said I could care about the records, you play who you have to play.  That we dont do this with every team, all their opponents scrutinized you thought it was time to break down the wins and losses?  LOL, come on man.  I did watch the games, I know what we played.  

Our losses were by 1, 20, 16, 25, 33, 14, 8, 16, 21. 

In other words, almost HALF of our schedule (7 games!) were double-digit losses.

4 of our losses (1/4 of our schedule!) were by 20+ points. 

And we avoided a 5th 20+ point loss only because the Pats took it easy on us in week 3.

The 6-10 Browns beat us by 20.  The 6-10 Jags beat us by 14.  The 2-14 Bengals beat us by 16.  We came within a last second FG of getting swept by the 5-11 Dolphins.

20 hours ago, freestater said:

grandma bong GIF

Thanks, Free!  That was awesome!!!  Funniest post of the year!

• Upvote 1

And, for the record, I'm very optimistic about the direction this franchise is headed.  I think we already have the 2 of the most important things in place, a FQB and a quality GM.  Add in 4 1st rounders in the next 2 years plus a bunch of cap space and we're looking very solid.

And that's before even mentioning our franchise punter!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Our losses were by 1, 20, 16, 25, 33, 14, 8, 16, 21. 

In other words, almost HALF of our schedule (7 games!) were double-digit losses.

4 of our losses (1/4 of our schedule!) were by 20+ points. 

And we avoided a 5th 20+ point loss only because the Pats took it easy on us in week 3.

The 6-10 Browns beat us by 20.  The 6-10 Jags beat us by 14.  The 2-14 Bengals beat us by 16.  We came within a last second FG of getting swept by the 5-11 Dolphins.

Who cares, a new way to complain about a coach, the margins of losses?  A loss is a loss.

I never, ever have heard someone complain about eh margins of defeat in a 7 win season.  Have to say, sounds like youre doing the classic Jet fan woe is me rant.  We won 7 BUT, the losses were too big, the wins weren't against the top teams in the league, those wins dont really count and the losses count as doubles, woe is me.  😁Come on down to earth, youre getting, dare I say, fidelioish? 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares, a new way to complain about a coach, the margins of losses?  A loss is a loss.

I never, ever have heard someone complain about eh margins of defeat in a 7 win season.  Have to say, sounds like youre doing the classic Jet fan woe is me rant.  We won 7 BUT, the losses were too big, the wins weren't against the top teams in the league, those wins dont really count and the losses count as doubles, woe is me.  😁Come on down to earth, youre getting, dare I say, fidelioish? 

Okay, I'm convinced.  We had a tremendous 7 win season!  

Lots of posts blasting Gase. 

Maybe enjoying the misery is more important than seeing the Jets win. 

7 minutes ago, addage said:

Lots of posts blasting Gase. 

Maybe enjoying the misery is more important than seeing the Jets win. 

If Bowles were still here would you still make the same claim?

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Okay, I'm convinced.  We had a tremendous 7 win season!  

Actually where we where, at 1-7 getting the team to stay together and not quit or fall apart was tremendous.  

Dont confuse that with all is well and winning is a given.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually where we where, at 1-7 getting the team to stay together and not quit or fall apart was tremendous.  

Dont confuse that with all is well and winning is a given.  

We are a tremendous team (quite possibly the greatest 7-9 team in NFL history) and Gase is a tremendous coach.  All is well and winning is a given.  (Or else you're "fideloish").

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We are a tremendous team and Gase is a tremendous coach.  All is well and winning is a given.  (Or else you're "fideloish").

Dude, give it up already I never said either of those two things.  In fact I said, pretty clearly "Dont confuse that with all is well and winning is a given."  I get the technique of accusing me of some over the top statement that I never made in order to help make your point but dude, I wrote what I wrote.  Directly above your comment to drive it home even more. 

I dont understand why and how the 7 wins has made you so angry.