Twitter Question: Did the NFL strip Manish Mehta of his credentials

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Let's face the deal between the press and the NFL is essentially a two way street.  Both sides commercially profit.  While they are not technically in business together they are both commercially tied to each other.  There's an expectation of Journalistic integrity by the public and that's a line that neither side should cross without a lot of due diligence.  

In this case the party with the least conflict of interest is the actual reporter.  Both the paper and the league have a conflict of interest by the nature of their commercial enterprise being tied together.  If there really is a breach and the paper doesn't want to address it, the NFL can hire an independent organization to investigate and make recomendations.

The Rolling Stone hired Columbia University school of journalism to do that when their reporting on the University of Virginia rape case turned out to be less than fully vetted.  Obviously way more important story but Rolling Stone ain't the NFL and the NFL can certainly afford some transparency.

This seems like a nothing burger until you dig into how the NFL has covered up really damaging stories about player health, gambling and real world issues.  I just don't like the NFL pretending that they are open access and bullying a reporter by effectively black balling him.  We can hate the reporter and still demand open accountability.  I'm not saying he shouldn't be disciplined.  I just don't think the NFL or the NY Jets should do it unilaterally.  It just seems wrong to me.  

Credentials are given at the discretion of the private enterprise. It's not a right to have media access.  Yes the NFL benefits off the relationship but a single "journalist" means nothing.  The NYDN needs the NFL more than the NFL needs them. The NFL doesn't owe anybody accountability bc they're a private company, unless it's discriminatory. That's like saying I owe you an explanation of I disinvite a mutual friend to a party. The invites are discretionary and can be taken away for any reason.  You'd have a better argument if the NFL told the Daily News that their entire organization lost media access, but that's not the case. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Well here we go...stripped of credential by Jets, with NFL backing:

There must be something serious behind this. You don't strip a journalist of his credential with the backing of the league just because you don't like him or his articles.

Manish must have really crossed a line.

Hell yes!!!!

celebration partying GIF by Booksmart

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Only things that come to mind as possibilities (im sure there are more than im thinking of), is that:

1) The burner account investigation finally came to a close and they had definitive proof of it being him.

2) They claimed some type of professional malfeasance with his Jamal Adams article he published. 

3) He was caught providing some type of kick backs to players for information maybe? (I'm not even sure whats allowed or not). 

4) He was pissed with Gase attitude towards him lately and lashed out in an email to the organization.

Those are just things that are coming to my head, but it has to be something serious to have NFL backing and none of the media jumping on it defending him.  Can't just be for his slanted journalism and harsh criticism of the team. 

I’m going to go with “lewd texts to female reporters/Jets personnel.” 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Only things that come to mind as possibilities (im sure there are more than im thinking of), is that:

1) The burner account investigation finally came to a close and they had definitive proof of it being him.

2) They claimed some type of professional malfeasance with his Jamal Adams article he published. 

3) He was caught providing some type of kick backs to players for information maybe? (I'm not even sure whats allowed or not). 

4) He was pissed with Gase attitude towards him lately and lashed out in an email to the organization.

Those are just things that are coming to my head, but it has to be something serious to have NFL backing and none of the media jumping on it defending him.  Can't just be for his slanted journalism and harsh criticism of the team. 

If it was 2, 3 or 4 Manish would be screaming from the hilltops.  Even though "paying" sources sounds slimey, reporters do things like this (maybe not cash but dinners, favors etc. etc.) all the time to get a story.

The reason why Manish has been so quiet about this is because whatever he did (like the burner account) is wholey and completely unacceptable.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsbb said:

Manish is so good at creating headlines by fabricating bull crap it looks like they are keeping him on even without credentials.

That's fine.  Every time he tries to break a story or come out with a hit piece, no one will give a sh*t, and will remind him he's not a legitimate journalist.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Manish is so good at creating headlines by fabricating bull crap it looks like they are keeping him on even without credentials.

If hes denied access to the team, their facilities, the players, coaches and GM hes not going to be covering the Jets, the NYDN has to replace him and move on to something else.  You cant compete with the other media outlets in the largest media center of the world by quoting other media members   

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Well here we go...stripped of credential by Jets, with NFL backing:

There must be something serious behind this. You don't strip a journalist of his credential with the backing of the league just because you don't like him or his articles.

Manish must have really crossed a line.

Remember the Twitter account last year?  The one using Adam’s son’s name?

F-U Manish.  Good luck in your new career mopping the floor at Show World. 

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I believe our national view as a dysfunctional franchise comes from the normies of the world reading his articles, and ESPN feeding off of the slanted reporting. Removing that problem is seriously going to have a positive effect on the team. 

THIS

SAR I

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

The only thing that would cause this is #1. Journalistic integrity is paramount. He's not an entertainer, he's supposed to live up to a journalistic standard.  I hope they make it public. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Remember the Twitter account last year?  The one using Adam’s son’s name?

F-U Manish.  Good luck in your new career mopping the floor at Show World. 

SAR I

sh*t.  I'd forgotten about thst.  Man.  If he did that (and not the Jets PR department) then he's a bigger scumbag than I thought.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's not an entertainer, he's supposed to live up to a journalistic standard.  I hope they make it public. 

“Unidentifed press corps members have said off the record that for a supposed ‘journalism guru’ Manish was a bad influence on Jimmy Olsen.”

SAR I

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

My guess is #1. He's done things in the past along the lines of #2, so I doubt it's that. The burner account on Twitter crossed the line.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If they pulled Manish’s credentials solely because of his hacky coverage, every other beat reporter should be up in arms over this because they need to show solidarity. If they let the Jets can Manish, then the next step will be ending any one of them for reporting on any story that the org simply dislikes. If it’s true they pulled Manish’s tag, it’s because of something more serious that likely impacted the other people on the beat. It’s clear he’s despised among his colleagues, so it could be any number of malfeasances.

The charge is Douchebaggetry In The First Degree

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If they pulled Manish’s credentials solely because of his hacky coverage, every other beat reporter should be up in arms over this because they need to show solidarity. If they let the Jets can Manish, then the next step will be ending any one of them for reporting on any story that the org simply dislikes. If it’s true they pulled Manish’s tag, it’s because of something more serious that likely impacted the other people on the beat. It’s clear he’s despised among his colleagues, so it could be any number of malfeasances.

Perhaps you recall around December of last year, there was a scandal around his possible ownership of a burner. There was a poster here who was super defensive which was weird too. ?‍♂️