Jump to content

Where will the pass rush come from?


Recommended Posts

Last year (and previous years) the Jets have been forced to "manufacture" a pass rush with schemes, gimmicks and lining up players out of position (ex. Jamal Adams).  It seems like ages ago that the Jets fielded a legitimate pass rusher like John Abraham who on his own, without the benefit of overloads, schemes or tricks could generate consistent QB pressure.

The Jets passed on Kentucky's Josh Allen last year.  This year they've mostly avoided the FA market at the edge with guys like Clowney and Everson Griffin available.  While I admire Joe Douglas' desire to draft and grow the pass rush capability organically the reality is that it is simply still stuck in the mud.  I like Jordan Jenkins but he's an adequate, well-rounded OLB and doesn't scare offensive coordinators when he's coming off the edge.  Basham now appears to be injured, Jabari Zuniga has been injured seemingly all of camp, and Gregg Williams' "chess piece" was traded to Seattle.  Are the Jets now completely counting on some hopeful inside or 3-4 DE pressure from Quinnen Williams?  Or, are they counting on average or unproven guys like Basham and Zuniga to heal quickly and unexpectedly light it up when they return?  I like Bryce Huff as well....but we can't pin hopes on a UDFA who may not even make the team.

If all of our wide receivers weren't in the infirmary I think we'd be talking a lot more about the passrush concerns on this team.  The Gregg Williams' magic may be needed now more than ever to pull a sack out of a hat on occasion!

magic wand GIF by Sam Jones

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KRL said:

If Williams lives up to his Alabama/draft status (he better) I believe the
rush will come from the interior.  Add in the continued growth of Fatukasi
and I could see a consistent amount of pressure in the center/guard gaps
from the DLine.  Also with our ILB depth/speed I could see Gregg Williams
bring a ton of blitz pressure from them.  Until Douglas addresses the edge
in free agency or the draft we aren't going to be conventional  

Don’t forget about Nathan Shepherd. Also, there were times last year and years prior that we got pressure but couldn’t finish and it lead to a big play. There was one with Jamal Adams (I think vs the Jags) where he just completely missed a sack and they hit a huge pass for a TD. We gotta finish this year. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drums said:

Don’t forget about Nathan Shepherd. Also, there were times last year And years prior that we got pressure but couldn’t finish and it lead to a big play. There was one with Jamal Adams (I think vs the Jags) where he just completely missed a sack and they hit a huge pass for a TD. We gotta finish this year. 

Good catch

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KRL said:

Also Zuniga's injury makes him a total wild card, his FLA tape looks good but who knows?

And what about Huff? I haven’t read anything on him but I guess he is a long shot right now 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't see where having a pure pass rusher is all that necessary if they have personnel to get qb pressure through schemes or hidden blitzes, etc.  i don't think the patsies have had a pure pass rusher for a very long time yet they seem to get pressure on the qb.  we'll see what happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been asking this question for 15 years. 

Hence why I liked the Zuniga pick.  At least Douglas was taking a shot at a freak athlete EDGE guy.  A stark difference from the Lorenzo Mauldin and Jachai Polite picks by his predecessor.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

 

 

Well, if looking good in a t-shirt accounted for sacks, he'd be all pro (#VG). I'm not sure if he's injured, but I have not heard his name mentioned once from the beat reporters.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah that's all I saw of him as well

And I have no idea who Colette is. lol

But you'd have to think with injuries to Zuniga and now Basham that Huff would have an opportunity.  At a minimum, he should see more reps like Cager has been benefiting from with the WR group.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg Williams is where the pressure will come. 

Seriously though, the combination of Davis, Maye and McDougald, along with some added depth at CB and all the D-linemen that surprised last year should give Jet fans confidence that G.Williams can figure out a way to put more pressure on the QB this year. Jenkins and Quinnen Williams in particular will be X factors, IMO. If both guys break out the Pass Rush could be quite good. If both take a step back, it could be worse than we thought. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Last year (and previous years) the Jets have been forced to "manufacture" a pass rush with schemes, gimmicks and lining up players out of position . . .

 

"Manufacture" a pass rush, just more cheap chit made in China.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Greg Williams is where the pressure will come. 

Seriously though, the combination of Davis, Maye and McDougald, along with some added depth at CB and all the D-linemen that surprised last year should give Jet fans confidence that G.Williams can figure out a way to put more pressure on the QB this year. Jenkins and Quinnen Williams in particular will be X factors, IMO. If both guys break out the Pass Rush could be quite good. If both take a step back, it could be worse than we thought. 

Agree with this. 
 

Also, if the db’s can cover 0.5 seconds longer, sacks go up significantly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Also Zuniga's injury makes him a total wild card, his FLA tape looks good but who knows?

Yep. Unfortunately that was much of the knock on him. He is a big ?
Very talented player and could really be something if he can get to that all too illusive field.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, rangerous said:

i don't see where having a pure pass rusher is all that necessary if they have personnel to get qb pressure through schemes or hidden blitzes, etc.  i don't think the patsies have had a pure pass rusher for a very long time yet they seem to get pressure on the qb.  we'll see what happens.

Because the Pats sent zero blitzes while playing man coverage because they have so many good DBs. 

The Jets do not have the DBs to cover, or ways to organically create pressure

When you depend on scheme or hidden blitzes, it often involves bringing extra players, which means there will be more holes in the coverage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets are not interested in winning football games. They just want to show up and get paid. Because guess what winning and losing pays the same

So to answer your question, op, there is no pass rush. But they do have enough open cap space for the next 10 years. Does that make you feel better?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Arsis said:

The ghost of Kris Jenkins

* John Abraham

 

Jenkins had some truly impressive moments as the rare pass-rushing Nose Tackle.  But unfortunately he couldn't stay on the field long enough to make a true, consistent impact.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hamat711 said:

Because the Pats sent zero blitzes while playing man coverage because they have so many good DBs. 

The Jets do not have the DBs to cover, or ways to organically create pressure

When you depend on scheme or hidden blitzes, it often involves bringing extra players, which means there will be more holes in the coverage.

Disagree I think our secondary is actually going to be better even after the Adams trade.  2nd year Bless Austin plus we added Davis, Huff who both look good.  The key is Desir recovering from the hamstring 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Disagree I think our secondary is actually going to be better even after the Adams trade.  2nd year Bless Austin plus we added Davis, Huff who both look good.  The key is Desir recovering from the hamstring 

Better than last year or better than the Pats?

I think the secondary is improved even with the loss of Adams because you guys had awful CBs last year. Despite this, I don't think you have the depth to run those zero blitzes that the Patriots, Ravens and other secondary heavy teams run.

I could be wrong though. The Bills turned around their secondary in one off-season with a bunch of B or C tier FAs and later round rookie picks outside of Tre'Davious White.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...