Training Camp Tweets 8/26 *SCRIMMAGE EDITION

kdels62

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

We gotta build around this guy.  Probably too late to do it this year, but invest in that OLine and a blocking TE next year we go ground n' pound with Gore for 2021 and beyond!

Ground and pound is back, baby!

• Haha 2

Talk about an overreaction to anything in preseason!  So the offense had a rough intrasquad scrimmage.  As meaningless as preseason games are, this is even more meaningless.  I've seen so many teams play great in actual preseason games in August only to stink it up in the regular season and vice versa.  I'll wait for the real games before evaluating this team, not some scrimmage in practice.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

lol what fcking trainwreck this team's WR corps is, annually.

Can't wait to see who they dig up next. 

It's almost like we get one really good but temporary WR pairing per decade...... Marshall-Decker, Keyshawn-Chrebet, Walker-Toon, etc.  I'm not sure why we always seem to wait 5 years before putting together another good pair....and then why it falls apart in just 3 or 4 years!?!?!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Talk about an overreaction to anything in preseason!  So the offense had a rough intrasquad scrimmage.  As meaningless as preseason games are, this is even more meaningless.  I've seen so many teams play great in actual preseason games in August only to stick it up in the regular season and vice versa.  I'll wait for the real games before evaluating this team, not some scrimmage in practice.

Pretty sure the 0-16 Detroit Lions team in 2008 went 4-0 in the preseason. I also remember the 2010 Jets looking like they couldn’t score if their life depended on it in the preseason and that team was a drive away from the Super Bowl. 

The bad practice is alarming but this is hardly the end of the season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think many are overreacting to a scrimmage in late august. This year is going to be some sloppy football, for many if not all teams, especially at the beginning of the season. No way around it.

Yup.  The Jets are today where they usually seem to be in July....practicing, not having any preseason games, first real scrimmage.  It's always ugly in July.  This year is just different.  The offseason training program was different, we have lots of new guys and several are injured.  Sure, it was bad today and I had hoped the O would click better given that Bell, Crowder and Herndon were playing and those 3 should be Darnold's safest targets and trusted guys....but oh well.  Sounds like Darnold missed a big one to Herndon and the other WRs (Malone, Jeff Smith, etc.) were turning the wrong way or fumbling.

My guess is that the playbook could be pretty skinny for Week 1.  Do we think Darnold is going to trust guys like Perriman and Mims who he hasn't even scrimmaged with?  Do we think Gase will trust a rookie LT blocking his QB's blindside on a long route concept?  Rushing the ball and short passing game with an occasional seam route to Herndon or crossers with Crowder is my guess.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Pretty sure the 0-16 Detroit Lions team in 2008 went 4-0 in the preseason. I also remember the 2010 Jets looking like they couldn’t score if their life depended on it in the preseason and that team was a drive away from the Super Bowl. 

The 2010 Jets were also coming off a playoff run in 2009, so there was more than enough latitude to be given to that team in preseason.

Given that the Jets haven't been to the playoffs in a decade AND have a bottom 5 roster, AND have all kinds of injuries, I'd say it's safe to say this won't be a situation where the team sucks in the Summer but turns into a playoff team once the season begins.

I've said all along I think this team wins 6 games, maybe 7 if things break right.  So if we end up a 5-win team it wouldn't exactly shock me.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Oh it’s the injuries. oh it’s Tannehill. Oh it’s McCown. Oh it’s the receivers...

if only there wasn’t this massive body of evidence to poke holes in your dogma. 

These aren’t excuses.  They are reasons.  

Adam Gase didn’t get Denzel Mims hurt. 

SAR I

16 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

The annual Jets suck realisation thread.

Think I’ve seen this movie before ? 

Happened a lot earlier this year than usual, lol.

After 10 years of failure (well, really 50 years of failure) you'd think we'd all be, collectively, a lot quicker to that realization.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Happened a lot earlier this year than usual, lol.

After 10 years of failure (well, really 50 years of failure) you'd think we'd all be, collectively, a lot quicker to that realization.

I’m not falling for it, they have to prove they can play. I’m ready to be surprised, not really we aren’t very good. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, PS17 said:

Don't forget the 1992 Browning Nagle led Jets.  They went 5-0 in the preseason, including beating the defending super bowl champion Redskins.  They ended up winning more games in the preseason than in the regular season.

The Jets ended up with the excellent but injury prone Shade Tree for that debacle.  The Jets hung on to Coslet for another 8-8 year and then canned him for Carroll.  Meanwhile, that fat **** cherry picked the #1 overall draft pick and took Bledsoe the following year.  Just like he did taking over the Jets in 1997 and the Dolphins in 2008.  I'm surprised the fat bastard was willing to go to the Cowboys who only had #5 overall.  I'm convinced that the fact that they had moved #2 overall for Chris Chandler a few years earlier is why he jilted the Bucs.

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The 2010 Jets were also coming off a playoff run in 2009, so there was more than enough latitude to be given to that team in preseason.

Given that the Jets haven't been to the playoffs in a decade AND have a bottom 5 roster, AND have all kinds of injuries, I'd say it's safe to say this won't be a situation where the team sucks in the Summer but turns into a playoff team once the season begins.

I've said all along I think this team wins 6 games, maybe 7 if things break right.  So if we end up a 5-win team it wouldn't exactly shock me.

I agree that this team will probably suck and that the roster is poor in many areas. I'm more commenting on the overanalysis of camp in the Twitter age. Every play is scrutinized and reported; this is the time for teams to work out the kinks. 

Just now, PS17 said:

I agree that this team will probably suck and that the roster is poor in many areas. I'm more commenting on the overanalysis of camp in the Twitter age. Every play is scrutinized and reported; this is the time for teams to work out the kinks. 

Sure.  But looking like an abject failure against the 2nd team unit?  That's helluva lot of "kinks" to work out with about 2 weeks left until the season starts.  

Of course camp is going to be heavily scrutinized.  There's no preseason game to look forward to.

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  But looking like an abject failure against the 2nd team unit?  That's helluva lot of "kinks" to work out with about 2 weeks left until the season starts.  

Of course camp is going to be heavily scrutinized.  There's no preseason game to look forward to.

for me, its a "keep the volume at 5" kind of approach, you shouldnt make too much, nor ignore... ( the bad AND the good)

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yea and instead of practicing today they are sitting at home drinking pina coladas 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, Integrity28 said:

Bell, Gore, Perine... plus this OL.. our RB corps better get 50 touches per game.

Bell: 12-15 carries, 5-8 pass targets

Gore: 10-15 carries, 3-5 pass targets

Perine: 8-10 carries, 2-3 pass targets

I mean, scheme to where the talent is... no?

We averaged 60 plays last year.

So 10 pass attempts.