Report: New sexual harassment allegations against Washington; Daniel Snyder denies involvement

https://www.nfl.com/news/report-new-sexual-harassment-allegations-against-washington-daniel-snyder-denies

Report: New sexual harassment allegations against Washington; Daniel Snyder denies involvement 

Published: Aug 26, 2020 at 05:20 PM

logo_author_2020_logo_AP_png

Editor's note: Below the following story from The Associated Press is a complete statement from Washington owner Daniel Snyder.

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Post on Wednesday reported additional examples of workplace sexual harassment inside the Washington Football Team organization, and allegations that owner Dan Snyder was personally involved.

The Post reported a former cheerleader saying Snyder invited her to a hotel room with one of his friends, and that longtime team executive Larry Michael made extra cheerleading videos for the owner showing sensitive material that wasn't made public. Snyder released a statement denying those specific allegations and saying he was unaware of the incidents until now.

"I want to unequivocally state that this never happened," Snyder said of the report he invited a cheerleader to a hotel room in 2004. "Furthermore, I do not have any knowledge of the 10-year-old videos referenced in the story. I did not request their creation, and I never saw them."

After the Post’s first story on the subject ran last month, Snyder vowed a cultural change and opened the organization up to an independent investigation. The latest story cites 25 more women who said they experienced sexual harassment while working for the team. They described a workplace in which male bosses, colleagues and players commented on their bodies and clothing, used sexual innuendos and made unwanted advances.

Snyder said that behavior "has no place in our franchise or in our society." He repeated his intention to improve the organization's culture and said he'll be more hands-on as an owner moving forward.

"I take full responsibility for the culture of our organization," Snyder said. "I have begun taking any and all steps necessary to ensure that the Washington Football Team is an organization that is diverse, inclusive and respectful of all."

Full statement from Washington owner Daniel Snyder:

The behavior described in the Washington Post's latest story has no place in our franchise, or in our society. While I was unaware of these allegations until they surfaced in the media, I take full responsibility for the culture of our organization. Even before today's article, I have begun taking any and all steps necessary to ensure that the Washington Football Team is an organization that is diverse, inclusive and respectful of all.

I have admittedly been too hands-off as an owner and allowed others to have day-today control to the detriment of our organization. Going forward I am going to be more involved, and we have already made major changes in personnel bringing in new leadership to drive cultural transformation on and off the field. In addition, we are assembling a world class team of external advisors to both investigate these allegations and create an actionable and measurable plan to change our culture.

The Washington Post article reads like a "hit job" relying on unnamed sources and allegations that are largely ten to twenty years old. We attempted to engage with the Washington Post to provide them with the facts, but those facts clearly didn't align with their narrative. There are former employees on the record disputing many of these claims, and yet they still appear in print. It is clear that there are other negative agendas at work in this reporting.

We are disappointed that Ms. Scourby would speak to the newspaper but never bring any of these allegations to management's attention, particularly since she is still part of our organization as a volunteer with our cheerleaders. I want to unequivocally state that this never happened. Ms. Scourby did not report this alleged incident to anyone at the team in 2004, in her 8 years as a cheerleader, or at any time in the past 16 years.

Furthermore, I do not have any knowledge of the ten-year old videos references in the story. I did not request their creation and I never saw them. There are former employees on the record stating that this did not happen. The unnamed sources who claim it did happen are relying on three degrees of hearsay. After an extensive review of our video archives, we believe these videos to be unauthorized or fraudulent. We requested that the Post provide us with copies of these videos to be forensically evaluated and authenticated, but The Washington Post refused to do so.

This article is riddled with questionable and unnamed sources, decades old allegations and is not a reflection of The Washington Football team today. I am going to work relentlessly to improve all aspects of the Washington Football Team and make this an organization that sets a positive example that we can all be proud of.

Copyright The 2020 Associated Press

1 hour ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Was a gun put to her head forcing her to go?

I feel like we live in a world where just asking a girl for her number will lead to sexual harassment charges

There is pressure that doesn't involve a weapon going on with stuff like this.  These women may have felt their livelihood was under attack, including perceived backlash/retaliation if they refused.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

Was a gun put to her head forcing her to go?

I feel like we live in a world where just asking a girl for her number will lead to sexual harassment charges

Are you serious?  So a man needs to be using a firearm in order to be considered inappropriate?