Favorite scenes from iconic actors

Dcat

Two movies I absolutely love are Claude Berri's Jean de Florette and the follow up Manon des Sources.   The legendary Yves Montand as well as Daniel Auteuil are exceptional in both films.   Plus you get very much of an eyeful of a stunning, young Emmanuelle Béart.

Spoiler Alert:  The end sequence when an old woman explains the tragedy which has transpired in both films is truly gut wrenching.  Here's the scene (sorry there is no English subtitle) along with how Wiki explains it.  Someday, rent these very entertaining flicks.

"Meanwhile, César has been broken by his nephew's suicide. Delphine, an old acquaintance of his, returns to the village and tells him that Florette, his sweetheart from that period, had written to him to tell him she was carrying their child. Receiving no reply from him, she had tried to abort it. Florette left the village, married a blacksmith from nearby Créspin, and the child was born alive but a hunchback.

César, away on military service in Africa, never received her letter and did not know that she had given birth to his child. In a cruel twist of fate, Jean, the man he drove to desperation and death without having met him, was the son he had always wanted. Realizing now she is related to him, César sadly watches a pregnant Manon hurry home at night, wishing to reconcile with his only grandchild, but knowing it will never happen.

Devastated, and lacking the will to live any longer, César dies quietly in his sleep. In a letter he leaves his property to Manon, whom he recognises as his natural granddaughter and the last of the Soubeyrans."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manon_des_Sources_(1986_film)

19 hours ago, munchmemory said:

A film which still chills you to the depth of your soul, Failsafe.

This movie gave me the creeps when I saw it. I think I was around 8-9 years old.  Saw it on TV.  I remember my mother calming me down.  We lived in a Lefrak apartment in Queens and there were these signs in all the buildings:rs=w:600,h:600

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, munchmemory said:

A film which still chills you to the depth of your soul, Failsafe.

Some really interesting acting in this by several who perform far from their ordinary Hollywood personae: Walter Mathau as the harsh right-wing hawk, Larry Hagman as the fledgling interpreter who has to interpret and relay the emotions of the Soviet leader to prevent a nuclear war (great job by the way by him).  Of course Henry Fonda is his usual great self

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1