Really hope this isn't a set up for Lev Bell trade

AFJF

We know Gase never watned Bell.

Jets sit Bell for most of scrimmage in a preseason with zero games where getting their bodies ready will be a challenge.

Jets lie about why they sat Bell.

Bell takes to twitter to tell fans Jets lied.

Jets trade for running back drafted by Gase.

Trading Bell is a $6 mil cap hit with $9 mil in savings per OTC.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

We know Gase never watned Bell.

Jets sit Bell for most of scrimmage in a preseason with zero games where getting their bodies ready will be a challenge.

Jets lie about why they sat Bell.

Bell takes to twitter to tell fans Jets lied.

Jets trade for running back drafted by Gase.

Trading Bell is a $6 mil cap hit with $9 mil in savings per OTC.

u do realize Jets need 11 players to field for ST's right?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I like your line of reasoning, nicely done.

I support the trade 100%.  He's a very expensive has-been.

SAR I

Though last year you were convinced that Gase/CJ were pulling the strings and Macc was just doing what they told him to do. 

So I guess now you're saying you think Gase screwed up badly in overpaying for "a very expensive has-been". 

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

u do realize Jets need 11 players to field for ST's right?

Yes.  I also realize they gave up their best gunner because he plays RB and that room is crowded.  Boyer said just yesterday that Cannon was one of the best gunners in the NFL and wasn't surprised to see he didn't clear waivers.  I dunno, maybe Ballage is the best special teams player in the league?

lol.  This is silly.  Ballage will be cut in about a week.  

No one wants to trade for Le'Veon Bell.  He's a 28 year old back with 1,852 career touches and would cost over $13M against the cap to whichever team made the move.

The only other team that wanted him in 2019, the Colts, just used the # 41 overall pick on Jonathan Taylor.  

What new team(s) want him 1 year later, with Bell coming off his worst season, AND would give up draft capital to take on his contract?

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  This is silly.  Ballage will be cut in about a week.  

No one wants to trade for Le'Veon Bell.  He's a 28 year old back with 1,852 career touches and would cost over $13M against the cap to whichever team made the move.

The only other team that wanted him in 2019, the Colts, just used the # 41 overall pick on Jonathan Taylor.  

What new team(s) want him 1 year later, with Bell coming off his worst season, AND would give up draft capital to take on his contract?

He would have received $6 mil from the Jets on a $15 mil contract and the new team would owe him $13 mil?

32 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes.  I also realize they gave up their best gunner because he plays RB and that room is crowded.  Boyer said just yesterday that Cannon was one of the best gunners in the NFL and wasn't surprised to see he didn't clear waivers.  I dunno, maybe Ballage is the best special teams player in the league?

i was rooting for Cannon as well...  maybe they felt his other position, RB , he wasnt good at?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He would have received $6 mil from the Jets on a $15 mil contract and the new team would owe him $13 mil?

His cap hit this year is $15.5M.  To my understanding, the only dead cap money for the Jets, post-trade, would be the $2M prorated bonus.  I don't believe the $4.5M roster bonus has been paid out yet.  His new team would thus be on the hook for the other $13.5M, no?

https://overthecap.com/player/leveon-bell/2258/

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Per Game Roster Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
2019 27 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $4,000,000 $500,000 $500,000   $6,000,000   $8,968,750 4.4%      
2020 28 $8,500,000 $2,000,000 $4,500,000 $500,000 $0   $13,000,000   $15,468,750 7.4%  
$2,000,000
$13,468,750

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

His cap hit this year is $15.5M.  To my understanding, the only dead cap money the Jets post-trade, would be the $2M prorated bonus.  I don't believe the $4.5M roster bonus has been paid out yet.  His new team would thus be on the hook for the other $13.5M.  

https://overthecap.com/player/leveon-bell/2258/

Year Age Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Per Game Roster Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
2019 27 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 $4,000,000 $500,000 $500,000   $6,000,000   $8,968,750 4.4%      
2020 28 $8,500,000 $2,000,000 $4,500,000 $500,000 $0   $13,000,000   $15,468,750 7.4%  
$2,000,000
$13,468,750

Checked it on OTC earlier and it said $6 mil dead money if traded with $9 mil in cap space created.

Contracted Players (80 total)

Player Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number

Dead Money & Cap Savings
Regular Per Game
Le'Veon Bell $8,500,000 $2,000,000 $4,500,000 $500,000 $0 $0   $13,000,000   $15,468,750  
$6,000,000
$9,468,750

Just now, AFJF said:

Contracted Players (80 total)

Player Base Salary Prorated Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Other Bonus   Guaranteed Salary   Cap
Number

Dead Money & Cap Savings
Regular Per Game
Le'Veon Bell $8,500,000 $2,000,000 $4,500,000 $500,000 $0 $0   $13,000,000   $15,468,750  
$6,000,000
$9,468,750

Not sure why it's showing as "cut pre-june 1st" here because those are the numbers when you hit trade pre-june 1st.  Trade post June 1st says 2 mil hit with $13 mil savings.

They are probably punting on 2020 as much as they can without it being labeled a punt.

If they trade Bell they save $13 mil and would love to carry it into a year where they feel they can compete more.

Sure, trade Bell, this year is gonna suck anyway, if we even play a full season.  The question is, who is trading for him at that cap number??

Of course, if you're Gase, are you happy with punting unless you've received assurances from ownership that you will be back for year 3?  That is probably gonna nauseate a lot of people.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was only if the trade occurred pre-June 1.  I'm showing $2M dead cap post June 1.  

Just addressed that in previous post.  I was looking at the wrong time frame.

He's not going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bare midriff. Check your DMs, you size queen. 

Not interested and no thank you. 

If you haven't realized it yet, the days of pick-up lines are over. Instead of using cheesy sayings to attract romantic prospects IRL, the new cuffing tactic is the DM—i.e., the direct message.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Though last year you were convinced that Gase/CJ were pulling the strings and Macc was just doing what they told him to do. 

So I guess now you're saying you think Gase screwed up badly in overpaying for "a very expensive has-been". 

I don’t care whose fault it is, Bell is awful.  No matter how bad our OL, an elite NFL back should have had at least a handful of decent runs.  Lev is Mr. 2nd and 12. 

SAR I

49 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

They are probably punting on 2020 as much as they can without it being labeled a punt.

If they trade Bell they save $13 mil and would love to carry it into a year where they feel they can compete more.

Sure, trade Bell, this year is gonna suck anyway, if we even play a full season.  The question is, who is trading for him at that cap number??

Of course, if you're Gase, are you happy with punting unless you've received assurances from ownership that you will be back for year 3?  That is probably gonna nauseate a lot of people.

We are NOT punting on 2020.

Bell for another team's very expensive WR in the last year or two of his deal makes sense.  An average starting WR who is being overpaid on a team that took advantage of this past Draft to add young WRs.  I'll leave it to the experts on other teams' personnel to suggest anyone who fits this criteria.

But as @AFJF said, this does smell a little bit like a setup.  Protecting your starting RB in a scrimmage and lying about the reason puts a little smoke in the air.  And, where there's smoke there's fire.  Would anyone think the RB position is the worst on the team if we went into the season with the old sage Frank Gore (who seems to be running well), La'Michal Perine (who is looking like the real deal in camp), and Kalen Ballage (a very mediocre RB but one who has experience with Gase and passes the eyeball test on the field)?

If Bell were traded and the Jets had those three, I also wouldn't be surprised if another move is made.  Lots of bodies out there....many are questionable for one reason or another (age, injuries, system-fit, etc.)...but they're out there.  Bring back Bilal Powell?

Just for giggles, here's who is still floating around as far as I know (per Spotrac)....

2084376619_ScreenShot2020-08-27at2_40_34PM.png.2d61e4baed0a5f612f0ae4187b645ccc.png

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don’t care whose fault it is, Bell is awful.  No matter how bad our OL, an elite NFL back should have had at least a handful of decent runs.  Lev is Mr. 2nd and 12. 

SAR I

Why would you not care?  And if you don't care whose fault it was then did you not care that Macc was fired for all of his bad decisions?

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bell for another team's very expensive WR in the last year or two of his deal makes sense.  An average starting WR who is being overpaid on a team that took advantage of this past Draft to add young WRs.  I'll leave it to the experts on other teams' personnel to suggest anyone who fits this criteria.

But as @AFJF said, this does smell a little bit like a setup.  Protecting your starting RB in a scrimmage and lying about the reason puts a little smoke in the air.  And, where there's smoke there's fire.  Would anyone think the RB position is the worst on the team if we went into the season with the old sage Frank Gore (who seems to be running well), La'Michal Perine (who is looking like the real deal in camp), and Kalen Ballage (a very mediocre RB but one who has experience with Gase and passes the eyeball test on the field)?

If Bell were traded and the Jets had those three, I also wouldn't be surprised if another move is made.  Lots of bodies out there....many are questionable for one reason or another (age, injuries, system-fit, etc.)...but they're out there.  Bring back Bilal Powell?

Just for giggles, here's who is still floating around as far as I know (per Spotrac)....

2084376619_ScreenShot2020-08-27at2_40_34PM.png.2d61e4baed0a5f612f0ae4187b645ccc.png

I looked at the cap hit incorrectly so I dont' think he's going anywhere, but the lie regarding the injury was what struck me first.  I saw that and wondered if something was up in terms of  a deal, then when I saw the trade for Ballage it made it seem more likely.

Basically tough to rule anything out because Gase comes across as being pretty insane and we know he lies about his players, but Bell is staying because nobody is taking on that much salary to add him.

• Sympathy 1

The Jets didn’t make up the tight hammy out of nowhere. Bell had to have mentioned it to someone on the coaching or training staff, Jets wanted to be extra cautious and sat him.

Bell is on a mission to prove to the entire league and the world that he’s still young and now healthy. His ego was a little bruised by the “injury announcement” and he said what he said “huh? Hammy is fine!” 

That was my take anyways 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I looked at the cap hit incorrectly so I dont' think he's going anywhere, but the lie regarding the injury was what struck me first.  I saw that and wondered if something was up in terms of  a deal, then when I saw the trade for Ballage it made it seem more likely.

Basically tough to rule anything out because Gase comes across as being pretty insane and we know he lies about his players, but Bell is staying because nobody is taking on that much salary to add him.

Bell is the kind of player that becomes easier to trade in-season if a playoff caliber team has a RB need or their starter gets hurt.  That might be the only scenario.

• Upvote 2