Saquon Barkley, Sterling Shepard: Giants game boycott not ruled out

I would be interested to understand the logic behind this one.  They’re professional athletes, paid to play a sport.  So by not playing that sport who or what exactly are they boycotting? 

I get the kneeling, it’s making a statement against the country’s national anthem - “America Is Bad!“- Like what they’re doing or not - it’s a clear point being made.

This just seems strange and illogical to me..You’re just punishing the people paying your salary - it’s like the proverbial - I’m picking up my ball and going home.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I would be interested to understand the logic behind this one.  They’re professional athletes, paid to play a sport.  So by not playing that sport who or what exactly are they boycotting? 

I get the kneeling, it’s making a statement against the country’s national anthem - “America Is Bad!“- Like what they’re doing or not - it’s a clear point being made.

This just seems strange and illogical to me..You’re just punishing the people paying your salary - it’s like the proverbial - I’m picking up my ball and going home.

They are not "field hens" first mistake fans keep making. They don't owe you nothing.

Second they are bothered by what's going on in the USA and unlike so many. They want to try to make a change or figure out what they should do...its really not hard to understand just seems like a small group chooses not to listen.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I certainly don’t want to get into politics - but “field hens”? They are employees and have a job - they get paid because of that job - no different than you or I.  

If I went to my clients (in this case the fans) and told them I’ve decided not to do my job - because of a social issue that’s important to me - I wouldn’t have a job.

I have no problem with protesting, I just don’t get simply not playing..  That’s all 

Stop comparing what they do to what you and I do. They are pro athletes they are afforded privileges you and I are not.  pro athletes are not the same as regular joes.

Comes with the territory. And I am letting you know. Talking about you pay for their salary they should be "entertaining you" that mentality speaks of the term "field hens" I can go further with it, but I won't

And their cause along with MLB players, NHL players, etc have been spelled out. Just saying.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

They are not "field hens" first mistake fans keep making. They don't owe you nothing.

Second they are bothered by what's going on in the USA and unlike so many. They want to try to make a change or figure out what they should do...its really not hard to understand just seems like a small group chooses not to listen.

Out of curiosity how does not playing correlate with change? It can be done at the same time, no?

Where are the players advocating for specific policies or politicians who support their interests? Have they donated- gave us rationale into why support a specific cause or candidate? Which athletes are running for office? Why arent they? They certainly have the means to. As usual we are short on specifics. Defunding the police is not a serious position. Need to be more specific than that.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I certainly don’t want to get into politics - but “field hens”? They are employees and have a job - they get paid because of that job - no different than you or I.  

If I went to my clients (in this case the fans) and told them I’ve decided not to do my job - because of a social issue that’s important to me - I wouldn’t have a job.

I have no problem with protesting, I just don’t get simply not playing..  That’s all 

Actually very different from you and I. Because not playing gets attention. Unlike you, they’re a high profile athlete in the spot light. They’re using their platform to have their voices heard. Where as if you did that, I’d have no clue what you did.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Out of curiosity how does not playing correlate with change? It can be done at the same time, no?

Where are the players advocating for specific policies or politicians who support their interests? Have they donated- gave us rationale into why support a specific cause or candidate? Which athletes are running for office? Why arent they? They certainly have the means to. As usual we are short on specifics. Defunding the police is not a serious position. Need to be more specific than that.

First off by not playing they have created dialogue...case and point aren't you talking about it? That's the first thing to create a change.

And if you go Google this stuff, you will see these athletes have donated to the cause plenty of times...kap who gets a bad rep. donated to underprivilege communities and social justice causes all the time, all 4 major sports has had a player, coach,  gm donate.

They speak about it everytime they are being ininterviewed. They have peacefully gone out and protest, They are wearing it, its on the field, on the courts...

Its all there if anyone cares..

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

First off by not playing they have created dialogue...case and point aren't you talking about it? That's the first thing to create a change.

Dialogue is the easy part. Who is going to run for office and really put in the work? Anyone can build awareness.

As far as Kap he didnt even vote man, which is the basic barrier of entry into any of these topics.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dialogue is the easy part. Who is going to run for office and really put in the work? Anyone can build awareness.

As far as Kap he didnt even vote man, which is the basic barrier of entry into any of these topics.

Dialogue is the easy part? If dialogue had truly taken place years/decades ago...you and i would be arguing about the jets and patriots right now.

So he didn't vote (and he should of) but that doesn't change anything. He has gone out and done stuff to create change.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Dialogue is the easy part? Have you been paying attention what has been going on all summer long? If dialogue had truly taken place years/decades ago...you and i would be arguing about the jets and patriots.

So he didn't vote (and he should of) but thats doesn't change anything. He has gone out and done stuff...

That right there is "semantics".

Policing policies have been debated for as long as I've been alive. The crux of the matter stem from other things, which are also taboo topics that shut down dialogue. One being school choice. We'll stop here though.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Don't tell that to our resident social justice warrior.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Policing policies have been debated for as long as I've been alive. The crux of the matter stem from other things, which are also taboo topics that shut down dialogue. One being school choice. We'll stop here though.

And LBJ went out and built a school.

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think what happened to Blake was wrong but what is the point of this?  This accomplishes nothing

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The next time the cops try to shoot me I’ll just tell them I went to private school

• Haha 1