is bell okay or not

The article was odd to me as Costello didnt mince words whatsoever, it was extremely blunt in describing Bell as basically awful.

I get that hes  had a lot of carries, but hes 28, hes in shape and I  simply dont see how he could be washed up so quickly.  Another reason  I think this is just a hit piece is that Bell has never been very explosive.  In 2017 he rushed for 1200 yards and 9 TDS - yet his longest run was 27 yards.  Was he not effective that season?  Explosiveness isnt his game and it would be dumb to expect him to be that type of player.

Gase might not like him as a player but hes stuck with him and a good coach will get Bell 20 touches per game with Gore and Perine sharing the other 15.   In 2021 we can move on, but for now I would use Bell as much as possible. 

16 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The article was odd to me as Costello didnt mince words whatsoever, it was extremely blunt in describing Bell as basically awful.

I get that hes  had a lot of carries, but hes 28, hes in shape and I  simply dont see how he could be washed up so quickly.  Another reason  I think this is just a hit piece is that Bell has never been very explosive.  In 2017 he rushed for 1200 yards and 9 TDS - yet his longest run was 27 yards.  Was he not effective that season?  Explosiveness isnt his game and it would be dumb to expect him to be that type of player.

Gase might not like him as a player but hes stuck with him and a good coach will get Bell 20 touches per game with Gore and Perine sharing the other 15.   In 2021 we can move on, but for now I would use Bell as much as possible. 

I said this before last season even started and it holds true today.  Bell simply isn’t a fit for what Gase does in the running game.  It’s very simple.  Bell has never been the explosive one cut and go RB that Gase requires.  He’s ultra patient and dances a lot behind the LOS.   It was a horrific signing by Maccagnan and was done more so out of wanting to just “make a splash”.   As far as a football move to improve the team, it was a failure.   

On a side note...I saw some video from Packers camp and your boy AJ Dillion looks like a monster.   His lower half of his body rivals Saquon Barkley’s.   Looks like LaFleur his going to a run heavy offense this year and Dillion looks to be a big part of it.   Him and Aaron Jones make a nice duo.  

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Disagree. 

A good coach, IMHO, will ignore their contracts and play the best players. If Bell is not the best player, he shouldn't be fed the ball, regardless. Last year, Bilal Powell averaged .7 more ypc than Bell did, and he can't even find a team. If the 37-year-old Gore and rookie Perine are outperforming him, sit him. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And thats with Bell sitting out 2018 ?

honestly, you wouldn't think a 28 year old as being washed up.  maybe that's a harsh term and it could be bell is still adjusting to the oline and them to him.  but then you look back at guys like larry brown or earl campbell who were seriously overused during their playing days.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Disagree. 

A good coach, IMHO, will ignore their contracts and play the best players. If Bell is not the best player, he shouldn't be fed the ball, regardless. Last year, Bilal Powell averaged .7 more ypc than Bell did, and he can't even find a team. If the 37-year-old Gore and rookie Perine are outperforming him, sit him. 

We need to run the ball this year with Perine and Gore.

I still think bell can be used on 3rd down because of his abilities as a receiver.  If he doesn’t like he can f off

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I said this before last season even started and it holds true today.  Bell simply isn’t a fit for what Gase does in the running game.  It’s very simple.  Bell has never been the explosive one cut and go RB that Gase requires.  He’s ultra patient and dances a lot behind the LOS.   It was a horrific signing by Maccagnan and was done more so out of wanting to just “make a splash”.   As far as a football move to improve the team, it was a failure.   

On a side note...I saw some video from Packers camp and your boy AJ Dillion looks like a monster.   His lower half of his body rivals Saquon Barkley’s.   Looks like LaFleur his going to a run heavy offense this year and Dillion looks to be a big part of it.   Him and Aaron Jones make a nice duo.  

I saw those pics of Dillon.  He should be a great fit there because Lafleur can do exactly what he did with Derrick Henry in Tennessee and use Dillon to close games, especially in the cold weather.  Guys are just not gonna want to tackle him when its 5 degrees out.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Bell is done. 

It was clear last year that he had no burst - anyone expecting an aging RB to somehow get faster as he got older is just silly.

Yet 1 year ago you were likely celebrating this signing because he's one of those "good players" you're constantly demanding the Jets spend money to bring in.  

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet 1 year ago you were likely celebrating this signing because he's one of those "good players" you're constantly demanding the Jets spend money to bring in.  

Yes, I liked the signing.  I was wrong.  

Doesn't change the fact that he's shot now.  Nothing against the guy - but he just doesn't have the speed/burst to be a legitimate threat as an NFL RB anymore.

Is he OK or not?

Let's see:

1. He's not having a good camp.

2. The offense sucks. When he's playing well, he won't see [as] many opportunities. Frustration beckons. 

3. Building on point 2, the defense also sucks, so the team will play from behind in a number of games. Bad field position. More frustration.

4. Gase isn't a fan of his, he prefers the guys that can get 5 yards up the gut. We saw this with his handling of Drake in Miami. 

5. Gase likes Frank gore, who continues to defy time as the Tom brady of RBs: https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/27/adam-gore-frank-gore-looks-the-same-12-years-ago-new-york-jets/

6. In addition to signing Gore, the team drafted Perine, a very reliable back, and traded for ballage from miami. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, and significantly more competition than he would have envisioned. 

7. The team is in a transitional phase, this is Sam Darnold's offense, and he has hit the dreaded age & carry threshold from which most running backs [quickly] decline. 

8. He's not exactly a role model in the locker-room; making him 'damaged goods' for any GM who values 'character' and 'leadership' in his veteran players. 

9. Points 7 and 8, taken together, can comfortably justify a decision to trade him. He [most likely] knows that he's not in the team's future plans. So, you have a situation where on-field frustration meets off-field frustration. 

10. He's under pressure to play well. Some players don't mind a kick up the ass, but if your ambition isn't supported by the team's leadership group, you're swimming against the tide.

Yeah. I don't think he's OK. 

• Upvote 2

We are going to have to eat a awful lot of his salary to get anyone to give us even a very late rounder for him, the guy looks shot.

The only use we get out of him is, line him up, then have him move out as a receiver in a two back set, miss-matching on a Linebacker.

I for one don’t want to see his slow as sh*t ass plodding into the line for a 2 yard gain.

I’d much rather see Perine and Gore hitting the hole hard. One way or another he’s got to go, he will be a Twitter distraction crying weekly about not getting enough touches.

On 8/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

I say trade Bell for anybody's 3rd WR and a fifth round pick

No team is going to trade for L bell with the salary he’s making.  The Jets are probably stuck with L Bell , till it’s feasible to cut him.   If the jets cut L Bell , there probably is a market for him as backup Rb- to occasional give their main ball carrier some rest.  Jmo the days of L Bell being some teams feature bacK are probably over with.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

We are going to have to eat a awful lot of his salary to get anyone to give us even a very late rounder for him, the guy looks shot.

The only use we get out of him is, line him up, then have him move out as a receiver in a two back set, miss-matching on a Linebacker.

I for one don’t want to see his slow as sh*t ass plodding into the line for a 2 yard gain.

I’d much rather see Perine and Gore hitting the hole hard. One way or another he’s got to go, he will be a Twitter distraction crying weekly about not getting enough touches.

The guy "looks shot" - you've been at training camp to see him?

One hit piece and the fan base turns on Bell, who has been nothing but a good teammate his entire time here.  Can we play one game before turning on our own players.

• Upvote 3

He just doesn’t fit the style of play Gase wants. Gase wants a rb that hits the hole fast, and gets the 4 yards he is looking for. He doesn’t know how to use Bell’s patient running style.  I think Bell can still be an effective player, but it has to be in the right offense.  Its not with the Jets.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

He just doesn’t fit the style of play Gase wants. Gase wants a rb that hits the hole fast, and gets the 4 yards he is looking for. He doesn’t know how to use Bell’s patient running style.  I think Bell can still be an effective player, but it has to be in the right offense.  Its not with the Jets.  

Bell won't change his game anytime soon. He thinks he's changing the game:

Le'Veon Bell says his patient approach to playing running back will change the NFL similar to how Stephen Curry changed the way basketball is played in the NBA.

"I think I'm changing the game," the Pittsburgh Steelers running back told Bleacher Report. "In that sense, I'm what Steph Curry is to basketball. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think Steph Curry is the best basketball player, but he changed the game so he's going to always go down as being remembered. Now everyone wants to shoot the 3 and shoot it from deep."

33 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The guy "looks shot" - you've been at training camp to see him?

One hit piece and the fan base turns on Bell, who has been nothing but a good teammate his entire time here.  Can we play one game before turning on our own players.

How’s his 3.2 YPC in 2019 look? - That looks pretty shot to me. He’s a year older is he going all of sudden become Lev Bell of 2016? Nothing is telling me he’s going to defy nature, or the pounding he took over his career. He was just another Clown Brother splash move that’s not worked out:-

Revis

Trumaine Johnson

Mo Wilkerson

Ryan Fitzpatrick 

Matt Forte

CJ Mosley

Isaiah Crowell

Spencer Long

Ryan Clady

Jarvis Jenkins

I could go on..

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

How’s his 3.2 YPC in 2019 look? - That looks pretty shot to me. He’s a year older is he going all of sudden become Lev Bell of 2016? Nothing is telling me he’s going to defy nature, or the pounding he took over his career. He was just another Clown Brother splash move that’s not worked out:-

I don't think he's shot, but we'll never have a chance to find out.

He hasn't taken enough reps with a new-look offensive line, and he's probably sharing carries from week 1. Far from ideal preparation. 

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I don't think he's shot, but we'll never have a chance to find out.

He hasn't taken enough reps with a new-look offensive line, and he's probably sharing carries from week 1. Far from ideal preparation. 

So what are you expecting from him this year- 3.5 YPC?

Everyone wants to get paid. But some players don't give 2 sh*ts about the game once they do. How many NFL players sat out an entire season due to a contract dispute? Bell was not ok the moment he signed his contract with us. He says the right things to protect his brand but he's done. Trumaine Johnson 2.0. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Bell is going to have a nice season. He'll rush for 975 yards with 6 rushing TDs. He'll receive for 650 yards and 4 receiving TDs. He'll never live up to the contract. Macc is dog doo.  

18 mill per.. Na, he’s stealing carriers from Perine. The guy will be phased out or traded for a bag of beans during the season, with the Jets eating a ton of cap to unload him.