Donte Moncrief to the Jets

mrcoops

20 minutes ago, ljr said:

what is the deal with him ... why the generally low production? ... why's he bounced around so much? ... is it just the stone hands?  I'd think for #4 WR money with where we stand right now it's worth it

https://clutchpoints.com/panthers-news-carolina-cuts-wr-donte-moncrief/

https://overthecap.com/player/donte-moncrief/3029/

Injuries derailed a decent career as a 2nd/3rd option imo. 6 & 7 TD seasons with Indy in 2015 & 2016 but never really had much other major statistical measure for how decent a WR is per year. His yards jumped back up to 688 with Jax but never really produced much else as far as yardage/receptions go. I like the guy, but I’m also bias as sh*t being that he’s from my state. I think he can help this season..he’s big & fast and can definitely make plays. Talented guy.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Can't hurt. 

So, opening day WRs might be:

1. Perriman
  2. Crowder
  3. Mims (?)
  4. Berrios
  5. Moncrief 
  6. Hogan

So I take it perhaps the 7th spot would be between Smith and Cager and the loser would go on the PS squad. We should keep 7 WRs since we have too many injuries and depth issues there. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I guess they felt D. Thomas is too old. Though he was pretty decent for us last year.

I think some people forget it takes 2. I remember reading DT only wants to play if it’s for Denver this year. For all we know jets are asking him to come back. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Can't hurt. 

So, opening day WRs might be:

1. Perriman
  2. Crowder
  3. Mims (?)
  4. Berrios
  5. Moncrief 
  6. Hogan

Moncrief and Hogan are vested veterans and will probably be candidates to not be on the opening day roster so their salaries don't become guaranteed. I think Moncrief is just a warm body, personally, with little chance of seeing playing time with the team this year. I guess it's up to him to make the most of this opportunity, but I suspect there are a lot of WRs already in NFL training camps that will be cut loose and represent upgrades over Moncrief and others. No way Joe D is done at the position.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

At one point in time (3-4 years ago) I thought Moncrief was a solid player.  Then he just fell off a cliff.

He's not old, so it's possible he can make turnaround and get back in track, but I'm not counting on it.

Although our roster is still crappy, at least it's very clear to see the type of players Douglas/gase want.  Want speedy receivers, mobile OL, versatile tough RBs.

• Upvote 3