Why do Jets beat writers always lean negative?

GreekJet

I’m not sure I have ever heard/seen so much negativity written/spoken in training camp than this year.

I understand the Jets don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt, but how much stock can you put into 6-7 practices in a training camp unlike any other? 

I guaranty there is not one NFL team beat as consistently negative as the Jets beat. I blame Rich Cimini for this as his negativity rubs off on everyone else.

Do I expect the Jets to be good this year? No, but these guys need to avoid the hot takes in TC. There is zero context because they have no idea what other teams practices look like. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

I’m not sure I have ever heard/seen so much negativity written/spoken in training camp than this year.

I understand the Jets don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt, but how much stock can you put into 6-7 practices in a training camp unlike any other? 

I guaranty there is not one NFL team beat as consistently negative as the Jets beat. I blame Rich Cimini for this as his negativity rubs off on everyone else.

Do I expect the Jets to be good this year? No, but these guys need to avoid the hot takes in TC. There is zero context because they have no idea what other teams practices look like. 

You must read him a lot because many of the posts you start are negative or have a negative slant to them. You come across as more of a Giants fan than Jets fan. I know others have mentioned this before. Just sayin.....

• Haha 1

It's easy to pile on when the team has been stuck in rebuild mode for a decade, but it is what it is. We had absolute loser GM's follow loser GM's, the team needs time to get some positive vibes going. Reporters are just going to lean in on that, as the 'we need to take baby steps' approach isn't going to generate any headlines or clicks

Believe me it is far better for them to be negative (and with good reason have you seen this team and how it has been run the last decade?) than to be boot licking shill positive.

I am a fan of the Edmonton Oilers, probably the worst run sports franchise of the last 15 years and the press are all over positive shills, it is beyond nauseating.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You must read him a lot because many of the posts you start are negative or have a negative slant to them. You come across as more of a Giants fan than Jets fan. I know others have mentioned this before. Just sayin.....

The Giants are literally my least favorite team in the NFL. I like Joe Judge as a coach, but I 100 percent hope he fails.

10 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Ever reread the threads you've created?

Pot meet kettle? 

11 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Why do Jets beat writers always lean negative?

In contrast to most of the media it's not fake news. By and large this is a mickey mouse organization with a long track record of bad decisions and even worse results.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

14 hours ago, GreekJet said:

It's because the fans around here thought, for misguided reasons, that the Jets were talented and poised to win this year.  And that we weren't still rebuilding.

And then when they realized how poor the talent actually is, that the GM wasn't trying to win this year, the realization is setting in and people are all of a sudden depressed.

The few of us that understand what the organization was doing this year are quite comfortable with camp so far...

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The fans eat it up and keep them employed 

Exactly - the NY press collectively created the SOJF. It's funny how so many of this type of fan doesn't know they were suckered into it. We are far from the worst franchise, but if you ask so many people you would think we were the Bengals, Lions, Browns, etc. Even after we went to back to back AFC Championship games - 2 years later people felt that way. It's all because the NY press is bigger and out to sell papers, not accurately portray what is going on. And now, they even effect our roster!

The Jets are unique, as there is not other team in the NFL that does not dominate it home market.  We are the #2 team in NY, even when we are better than the Giants, NY is still their market.  I think that impacts the way we are covered.  Be negative or critical of the Jets and you are catering to the larger market in general. 

Add to that the fact that we have not sniffed a playoff game in nearly 10 years and the coverage is slanted against us.  Just win games, and the narrative will change.  But we still won't be the dominant beloved team in our home market.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Well mostly because the Jets look bad and then never prove them wrong when it comes time to do so. While I hate it, I can’t blame them much. 

Basically this

The Jets have a track record of being a circus franchise. So the beat writers base a lot of their stuff off of that. Even when it's not warranted. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well look at this site:

Positive post: 8 replies

Negative post: 8 pages.

Jets fans seem to want to wallow.

No, they've been bad and are bad...

I would love to be a positive fan - but I also look at the reality of the situation.  Give me a reason to be positive and I will be.  Build a good team and I'll be excited about them.

There's so much negativity here because it's well deserved.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No, they've been bad and are bad...

I would love to be a positive fan - but I also look at the reality of the situation.  Give me a reason to be positive and I will be.  Build a good team and I'll be excited about them.

There's so much negativity here because it's well deserved.

We were not bad last year, we were mediocre. Our OL was historically bad last year and is significantly upgraded over last year, especially in pass blocking. Not elite but maybe Top 15 which is huge for Darnold. 2nd year in the same offense for Darnold. Lots of experience on defense and upgraded at CB. Better RB room. Struggles at WR with injuries but we should get healthier. An amazing kicking prospect for hidden ST yards and field position. Slightly weaker maybe at S but if Davis is as good as TC reports suggest than we might be stronger overall at S. Weaker division without Brady. Yes schedule is harder but it is harder for the entire AFC East and harder for Bills and Cheatriots than us. So maybe a little harder for wildcard (but there is an extra one so easier than normal) and easier to win division. We should be excited about this season,

• Haha 1