R.I.P. Chadwick Boseman

This one hurts.  A lot.  F**k cancer and f**k 2020.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/black-panther-star-chadwick-boseman-dies-of-cancer-at-43/

‘Black Panther’ star Chadwick Boseman dies of cancer at 43

Aug. 28, 2020 at 7:07 pm Updated Aug. 28, 2020 at 7:15 pm

FILE – In this Saturday, March 30, 2019 file photo, Chadwick Boseman poses in the press room with the award for outstanding actor in a motion picture for “Black Panther” at the 50th annual NAACP Image Awards at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. Actor Chadwick Boseman, who played Black icons Jackie Robinson and James Brown before finding fame as the regal Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe, has died of cancer. His representative says Boseman died Friday, Aug. 28, 2020 in Los Angeles after a four-year battle with colon cancer. He was 43. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)

By 
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Actor Chadwick Boseman, who played Black icons Jackie Robinson and James Brown before finding fame as the regal Black Panther in the Marvel cinematic universe, died Friday of cancer, his representative said. He was 43.

Boseman died at his home in the Los Angeles area with his wife and family by his side, his publicist Nicki Fioravante told The Associated Press.

Boseman was diagnosed with colon cancer four years ago, his family said in a statement.

“A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you many of the films you have come to love so much,” his family said in the statement. “From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson’s Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and several more- all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy. It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.”

Boseman had not spoken publicly about his diagnosis.

6 hours ago, JetsLife said:

He meant a lot to a lot of fans. Including us Brooklyn sports fans when he played Jackie Robinson. Black Panther was awesome in no small measure to the humanity he brought to the role of a Marvel superhero. 

You beat me too it, but yes, GREAT actor, and while I don't know him as a person, I'm sure that as well. My favorite movie of his while I know many would say Black Panther, but mine was Get on Up.... His portrayal of James Brown was tremendous. James Brown is one of my favorite artists, and whenever I'm at a wedding I always ask the DJ to play him. Rest in peace Chad, as your talents left a warm feeling in many peoples hearts.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And let me give a little bit of an uncomfortable PSA because 95% of us are guys on this site and probably 50% + of us despise seeing doctors....Get your physicals, go to the doc.  Don't do it for you.  Do it for your family...your kids.  Colon cancer can be detected early and has a high survival rate.  Going to the doc sucks and colonoscopies aren't the best way to spend a couple days .... but just go!  I do it every 5 years because of family history now that I'm post-40 yrs old now.

Great message.  Im still walking because of early detection and no words can be truer than to get checked early and often.  

Condolences to Chadwick Boseman's family.  He apparently was as impressive an individual as he was an actor.  RIP

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

Eff cancer

Yep. Wife lost her uncle this morning to prostate cancer.

Looked perfectly fine and healthy, as he always has (fit 52 year old). Felt some on and off pain for a couple of weeks in June. Diagnosis was stage 4. Took less than two full months after diagnosis. Saw him last weekend, and couldn’t even recognize him....skin and bones.

Wife is beside herself as she was extremely close to this uncle and his two daughters. 

It’s the worst. That’s 4 people extremely close to my wife or I in the last 3 years taken by cancer. Each time, it was too late. As others have said repeatedly, get checked. Annually. You never know.

53 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Looked perfectly fine and healthy, as he always has (fit 52 year old). Felt some on and off pain for a couple of weeks in June. Diagnosis was stage 4. Took less than two full months after diagnosis. Saw him last weekend, and couldn’t even recognize him....skin and bones.

Wife is beside herself as she was extremely close to this uncle and his two daughters. 

It’s the worst. That’s 4 people extremely close to my wife or I in the last 3 years taken by cancer. Each time, it was too late. As others have said repeatedly, get checked. Annually. You never know.

Geez, that's awful.  My Mom went in literally two months from pancreatic cancer.  Just had a talk with my son who is early 20s not to wait until 50 to get various tests done.  Get them early when doctors might save you.

Deepest condolences to you and especially your wife who was close with her uncle.  Make sure you give her lots of hugs.

• Sympathy 1

I don't really care about what happens next in the MCU.  Without T'Challa it just seems meaningless moving forward.  I'll probably watch Black Panther 2 just to see how they honor his memory and to support what he did to make Wakanda a part of our lives. 

But other than that I don't give a sh*t.  The Avengers are basically dead now.

My wife and I are currently binging as many Chadwick Boseman movies as possible starting today.  We started with Civil War.  Such a mixture of emotions in our household right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Very sorry to hear, my condolences. Good advice, it doesn't discriminate.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Apparently I’m the only one on the planet that didn’t know who this guy was. The media is treating him like he was Al Pacino

You didn't know about 42, Draft Day, Get on Up, Marshall, or Black Panther/Avengers/MCU?

Sounds like a you problem.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Apparently I’m the only one on the planet that didn’t know who this guy was. The media is treating him like he was Al Pacino

Not surprising.  Funny how you know who Al Pacino is though. How about Colin Farrell? Probably never heard of Sidney Poitier either. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Not surprising.  Funny how you know who Al Pacino is though. How about Colin Farrell? Probably never heard of Sidney Poitier either. 

What’s not surprising about him knowing Al Pacino but not Boseman? I liked him in 42 and thought he was a good actor but come on Al Pacino has been around for decades and was in my opinion the greatest movie ever made.