Jets Training Camp 8.29

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The problem with this philosophy is that this O-line isn’t really built to be a bunch of maulers.   Gase isn’t going to abandon his overall game plans and become “ground and pound” all of a sudden.  Gase loves 3 WR sets.   

I hear ya, but It bears mentioning that everyone on the field is a pass catcher in that scenario. It could be a run or pass out of those alignments which would be so aggressive it could actually work.  Which is why it won't happen.  

Square pegs in round holes around here. 

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good thing the NFL hasn't turned into a passing league the past 5 years!

The Jets will be using a gameplan that was perfect for 1987.

You use the weapons you have.  If our top 4 WR's are hurt you bring in the bog boys and beat teams to death. Everything comes back around.  A good punch in the mouth is eternal.  :) 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Troll

Nope.

I'm a Jet fan that loves them, but don't believe they have a very good team right now.

Our new GM, on his six year contract, is cleaning up a big mess he was left and is not terribly concerned about winning this year.  

He added a quality center but otherwise lost more than he gained this off-season.  It's clear and obvious to most people not on JN what JD is doing.  

I'm the voice of reason around here not a troll. 

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nope.

I'm a Jet fan that loves them, but don't believe they have a very good team right now.

Our new GM, on his six year contract, is cleaning up a big mess he was left and is not terribly concerned about winning this year.  

He added a quality center but otherwise lost more than he gained this off-season.  It's clear and obvious to most people not on JN what JD is doing.  

2020 is gonna be a tough year to be a SOJF.

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good thing the NFL hasn't turned into a passing league the past 5 years!

The Jets will be using a gameplan that was perfect for 1987.

In the past five years defenses have gotten smaller and faster to defend the pass.  

So we're going to run it right down their little throats!

Genius! 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nope.

OL, better talent

CB, better talent

WR, better talent

TE, better

RB, better

See you cant just say things because youre a negative person.  Losing RA and getting Perriman and Mims along with others doesnt make the WR worse.  Losing all those incapable OLmen for the guys JD signed is an upgrade.  Adding a returning Herndon is an upgrade to TE.  The rest is obvious.  

How the talent works out, how much better they are is the question.  But one thing that really isnt a question is that there isnt the drop off in talent you claim compared to a year ago.  

You are far from the voice of re4ason

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

OL, better talent

CB, better talent

WR, better talent

TE, better

RB, better

See you cant just say things because youre a negative person.  Losing RA and getting Perriman and Mims along with others doesnt make the WR worse.  Losing all those incapable OLmen for the guys JD signed is an upgrade.  Adding a returning Herndon is an upgrade to TE.  The rest is obvious.  

How the talent works out, how much better they are is the question.  But one thing that really isnt a question is that there isnt the drop off in talent you claim compared to a year ago.  

You are far from the voice of re4ason

You can't possibly believe what you're writing here.

OL - new center - otherwise downgraded

CB - sure, addition by subtraction - certainly the defensive backfield is worse - which is what matters

WR - worse..clearly.

TE - flat - there is no reason to believe Herndon will make it through a season - his next one will be his first

RB - How can you say it's better - Gore? A year older Bell?

Outside of a Center this team has pretty much been downgraded across the board.  I'll say it again, new isn't better, it's just new. 

13 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You use the weapons you have.  If our top 4 WR's are hurt you bring in the bog boys and beat teams to death. Everything comes back around.  A good punch in the mouth is eternal.  :) 

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

In the past five years defenses have gotten smaller and faster to defend the pass.  

So we're going to run it right down their little throats!

Genius! 

Ha!  I like it.  You guys are convincing me.

Have to think the passing threat will come from Crowder, Herndon and Hogan early.  The sooner we get Perriman back the better.  He's the key moreso than Mims who, even if healthy, would likely be a pedestrian contributor as a rookie IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You can't possibly believe what you're writing here.

OL - new center - otherwise downgraded

CB - sure, addition by subtraction - certainly the defensive backfield is worse - which is what matters

WR - worse..clearly.

TE - flat - there is no reason to believe Herndon will make it through a season - his next one will be his first

RB - How can you say it's better - Gore? A year older Bell?

Outside of a Center this team has pretty much been downgraded across the board.  I'll say it again, new isn't better, it's just new. 

OL, toure wrong. All across the OL youre wrong.  No spot has been downgraded with less talent than a year ago, youre as wrong as can possibly be

CB, no, not addition by subtraction this group with Desir and Bless from the get go along with the other additions are better than the group we had a year ago.  Wrong

WR, youre out of your mind.  Perriman AND Mims are better than Anderson, that a wasted argument, youre wrong.

RB, Bell is Bell, hes not going to be worse than last year, no way.  Gore better than Powell and Montgomery, you cant possibly argue that hes not and then add in a promising rookie who will get carries.

So yeah, youre completely wrong.  The comment that outside of C....says it all.  Sorry, you and bitonti are the only ones who argue that the team is worse off than a year ago.  You cant come up with a singe reason why any of these units are better just nonsense like other than C we downgraded.  How?  Which player we brought in was worse than the player he replaced.  Tell us and then tell us how.  the answer is sort of like, well I wanted so and so, we got someone else so I'll complain.  

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd rather have Joe Douglas and whoever we end up with at HC after Gase than have Maccagnan and Matt Rhule.  OR Matt Rhule + whoever the Johnson's would have hired next at GM, with the decision left entirely up to them.

And I like Rhule, a lot.  

I know, it's become the catch 22 - especially given the way JD got us a haul for Adams.... it's a trade off. HC or GM... why would we ever have be lucky enough to get both?... or an owner that does split the power hierarchy? 

16 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

And I respectfully will disagree with you too. Here is Gase with Nick Saban, Josh McDaniels, Brian Daboll.

At the last scouting combine he was sharing a hotel and an Uber with Belichick. Peyton Manning called the owner of our team to vouch for the guy? Mike Martz and Steve Mariucci both said he had a brilliant football mind.

I take it they know more than we do?

none of that suggests he's a leader. You can be liked by leaders and people alike -- without being by virtue of that, a good leader 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!  I like it.  You guys are convincing me.

Have to think the passing threat will come from Crowder, Herndon and Hogan early.  The sooner we get Perriman back the better.  He's the key moreso than Mims who, even if healthy, would likely be a pedestrian contributor as a rookie IMO.

Don't sleep on Mims, he's a much better prospect than Perriman ever was despite their draft slots. If they were both rooks coming out I would have drafted Mims every single time. Sucks that he's been hurt.

21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

OL, toure wrong. All across the OL youre wrong.  No spot has been downgraded with less talent than a year ago, youre as wrong as can possibly be

CB, no, not addition by subtraction this group with Desir and Bless from the get go along with the other additions are better than the group we had a year ago.  Wrong

WR, youre out of your mind.  Perriman AND Mims are better than Anderson, that a wasted argument, youre wrong.

RB, Bell is Bell, hes not going to be worse than last year, no way.  Gore better than Powell and Montgomery, you cant possibly argue that hes not and then add in a promising rookie who will get carries.

So yeah, youre completely wrong.  The comment that outside of C....says it all.  Sorry, you and bitonti are the only ones who argue that the team is worse off than a year ago.  You cant come up with a singe reason why any of these units are better just nonsense like other than C we downgraded.  How?  Which player we brought in was worse than the player he replaced.  Tell us and then tell us how.  the answer is sort of like, well I wanted so and so, we got someone else so I'll complain.  

I think the team is worse off than a year ago. The Jets are a chronically mediocre team. It all stems from weak ownership. The Johnson family's tenure has been awful. Jets ownership is in bottom 20% in terms of competence and commitment.

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think the team is worse off than a year ago. The Jets are a chronically mediocre team. It all stems from weak ownership. The Johnson family's tenure has been awful. Jets ownership is in bottom 20% in terms of competence and commitment.

They hopefully have a left tackle and a good wr.  Maybe even a good young rb.  And a replacement for adams along with some nice draft capital.  In terms of on field talent, i think we’ll need to see what the offense can do once these guys can get on the field. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

They hopefully have a left tackle and a good wr.  Maybe even a good young rb.  And a replacement for adams along with some nice draft capital.  In terms of on field talent, i think we’ll need to see what the offense can do once these guys can get on the field. 

I get it. Spring is just around the corner. Rebuilding since 1970!

9 hours ago, RobR said:

Don't sleep on Mims, he's a much better prospect than Perriman ever was despite their draft slots. If they were both rooks coming out I would have drafted Mims every single time. Sucks that he's been hurt.

I'm definitely not sleeping on Mims.  I think (and hope) he takes a path to WR1 within a season or two.  But, today, he's not only a rookie but a rookie who hasn't run routes or practiced with the team.  Rookies always have an uphill battle that first season, the COVID situation makes it worse, an injury and not having played at all before September makes it really really tough.  When I said....

The sooner we get Perriman back the better.  He's the key moreso than Mims...

...I'm talking strictly about the start of this season.  In other words, if both guys were declared healthy at the end of this week, we're counting on Perriman for the first few weeks more than Mims because Perriman is a veteran and has at least had some 1st Team practices, even if Mims is the better "talent."